• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
What does Red Skull do on Vormir when nobody's looking for the Soul stone? What does he even eat? Where is his house?

I suspect he's some kind of wraith or guardian spirit with no independent existence. Like a non-player character that activates and does its thing in response to the player's location in the game. Presumably once the curse is lifted he becomes an independent person again.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
finally watched it yesterday
i shouldn't have hyped myself up for this. i enjoyed it a lot, but i think i need to rewatch it on demand when it comes out. some things probably didnt stick with me and i dont remember some things.

my highlights
- ironman
- Cap
- Cap vs cap
- Cap vs Thanos
- Thor humor
- thanos's power level lol
- spiderman
- ironmans snap/death scene with spiderman
- thors humor lol

dislikes
- rat mvp
- no luis with antman
- brucehulk personality
- gamora's instant change of heart because of a few sentences
- black widow
- war machine's screentime, what are we getting more movies of him with ironwoman now?
- is there ironwoman now?
- wish the battle scene was longer, just a little bit.
- captain marvel is just op. i believe she could have handled thanos and his army by herself. without the stone to punch her, she would have ended him right there.

when it started to get into time travel, idk, that's where it kind of lost me on feeling their struggle.. =/
RDJ was amazing though. big ups on his acting chops in this movie.

amazing glorification of cap, his combo with M was great to watch. however, this just showed me thanos was just beyond any of the avengers in power and was the ultimate badass. buuut, captain marvel is op and the "unexpected" use of the stone to get her off him was meh.

i did not enjoy how some of the children of thanos went out so easy during the battle. like wow, just get stepped on and that's it? and that quick gamora change of heart, idk. that felt way to easy. i was expecting a bit more before she decided to help. but is she dead now? quill going to look for her in the next guardians of the galaxy? I enjoyed the funny stuff from thor though lol.

i realllly didnt care about the extra screentime warmachine got. antman felt forced. The rat though, the real mvp. bruce hulk didnt work for me. but i guess it was meant to be because of the snap he could handle.

the death of black widow for the soulstone didnt make me sad. I didnt know they loved each other, what? lol i guess i missed that in all of the movies. Nat just looked like she wanted to die in this movie lol.

after seeing this movie, i can see the next few movies occurring the 5 year time skip with black widow and 'ronin'. i'm excited to see spider man though.
right now with my first watch, great, but i think Ragnarok is still above it as my fav movie so far.

The rat is probably what Dr. Strange was pointing at when he showed his finger to Tony lol.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Scarlet Witch was definitely amongst my favs in Endgame. She was not fucking around.

Yup. Thanos telling her her doesn't know who she is pissed her off even more.

Although it did bum me out that we didn't really get to see her use her powers properly in Civil War and Infinity War. This SW in Infinity War would have been amazing to see.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Two other other moments I loved

- Wong and Strange portaling in all these Avengers, Wakandans and others to help and Strange asking "is that everyone?" with Wong acting surprised and saying "you want more?"

- Peter and past Gamora scene, in which Peter is so happy to see her, only to be kicked in the nuts. "Thats the guy? Really?" "Well it was either him or a tree"

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
I wonder how surprising his death was though. Like the trailer is making his situation look really bleak, there's news that this is his last Marvel movie...it just seemed so obvious that he was going to have some dramatic exit. I wonder if many people were surprised or just not surprised.

Yes, because of contracts coming to an end and other stuff I knew something was going to happen to this characters, but I was not sure what and how.
Like Cap for example, I thought he was going to die given it also was his last movie and the character loves a sacrifice, but he got a really sweet ending.

Cap wielding the Hammer in the movie was a dream come true as a comic fan.

Man, it was the moment the theater cheered the most, people were going nuts, it was fucking awesome.

And reading some of the first responses in this thread, what the hell, several people asking for details about the movie and judging it without even seeing it!
Why? lol

Oct 27, 2017
Well my thread was closed for no good reason so I'll ask again.

Wanted to talk about this specifically. Feels like the gauntlet in the MCU isn't as powerful as the comics. Can't bring widow back and has a nasty side effect if you aren't strong enough.

Comic's gauntlet let's you literally be a God. I thought the whole point of the gauntlet is that you are now all powerful. Probably why they nerfed it for the films. Because how do you stop an all powerful Thanos in a convincing way.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
A nitpick:

The whole having to close your fist with the gauntlet to use it was kind of dumb to be honest.

Strange used the Time Stone in a necklace over his chest.

Loki has it in the blade-end of a spear/staff.

Vision had one stuck in his head - OK, that one sorta supports having it REAL close to you.

Can't recall the others off-hand.

But Thanos can't use the Gauntlet powers unless he make as fist with all the stones?

I get it - it gives the Avengers a CHANCE to stop or delay him for drama, but still.

Just a nitpick.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think past-Gamora kicking Quill in the nuts was like a thing for the audience because of how dumb he was in IW, lol.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
i shouldn't have hyped myself up for this. i enjoyed it a lot, but i think i need to rewatch it on demand when it comes out. some things probably didnt stick with me and i dont remember some things.

my highlights
- ironman
- Cap
- Cap vs cap
- Cap vs Thanos
- Thor humor
- spiderman
- thors humor lol

dislikes
- rat mvp
- no luis with antman
- brucehulk personality
- black widow
- war machine's screentime, what are we getting more movies of him with ironwoman now?
- captain marvel is just op. i believe she could have handled thanos and his army by herself. without the stone to punch her, she would have ended him right there.

when it started to get into time travel, idk, that's where it kind of lost me on feeling their struggle.. =/

amazing glorification of cap, his combo with M was great to watch. however, this just showed me thanos was just beyond any of the avengers in power and was the ultimate badass. buuut, captain marvel is op and the "unexpected" use of the stone to get her off him was meh.

i did not enjoy how some of the children of thanos went out so easy during the battle. like wow, just get stepped on and that's it? and that quick gamora change of heart, idk. that felt way to easy. i was expecting a bit more before she decided to help. but is she dead now? quill going to look for her in the next guardians of the galaxy? I enjoyed the funny stuff from thor though lol.

i realllly didnt care about the extra screentime warmachine got. antman felt forced. The rat though, the real mvp. bruce hulk didnt work for me. but i guess it was meant to be because of the snap he could handle.

the death of black widow for the soulstone didnt make me sad. I didnt know they loved each other, what? lol i guess i missed that in all of the movies. Nat just looked like she wanted to die in this movie lol.

after seeing this movie, i can see the next few movies occurring the 5 year time skip with black widow and 'ronin'. i'm excited to see spider man though.
right now with my first watch, great, but i think Ragnarok is still above it as my fav movie so far.

Couple of points:

I don't think Gamora's change of heart was quick. She likely resented Thanos since the day he slaughtered her family, adopted her, and starting forcing her to mutilate her adopted sister.

Based on the timeline, When she meets our hero's in Endgame, she would have been close to deserting Thanos anyway. So the "few words" were more like the straw that broke the camels back.

And Clint and BW definitely have platonic love each other. She's an "aunt" to his kids. And they've been partners since long before we meet them.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
But Thanos can't use the Gauntlet powers unless he make as fist with all the stones?

I get it - it gives the Avengers a CHANCE to stop or delay him for drama, but still.

Just a nitpick.

Yeah, it's odd but I think it's more of a will-power thing. In Thanos's mind, he has to snap for it to take effect. IM and Hulk also do the snap because that's the only way they know about it being used. Thanos could have used it otherwise too but I guess his 'snap' is his mental trigger.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

- Wong and Strange portaling in all these Avengers, Wakandans and others to help and Strange asking "is that everyone?" with Wong acting surprised and saying "you want more?"

Yeah? To me this is the poster child for the common MCU action of undercutting a dramatic scene with comedy.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, seeing this movie made me realize that I really wish that the Russo's had directed Age of Ultron.

I think Whedon nailed Avengers 1 as perfectly as anyone could be expected to. He captured and translated the light-hearted comic book feel to the screen perfectly and set the standard for which team-up movies with a shared universe are done. The "quips" thing was never really a truly valid criticism in my eyes, but Whedon's brand of humor and writing lent itself perfectly to telling the first Avengers story perfectly. I wouldn't even want the Russo's to do the first Avengers movie if I had the option.

Age of Ultron on the other hand.....well, it's a movie I think many people underrate, but nevertheless think is weaker than the original. Part of it is...*sigh*, yeah the non-stop stream of constant jokes could get grating with how irreverantly they treated the situation at times, but they never got in the way of the story being told. They just got in the way of it being told as well. AoU was trying to tell a more substantial story than the first avengers, and it just got very, very confused. Ultron was making the point that the Avengers were unworthy of being regarded as heroes and there is a lot of allusions to how each avenger considers themselves a monster or broken in some way, and them coming together to save Sokovia was meant to be them developing their characters but....well, it's just hard to parse that with the fact that what Ultron was saying was absolute gibberish. Ultron's psychologically is almost pure gibberish of why he thinks what he thinks about the avengers and the only thing you can say about him in the end is that he's crazy. Which undercuts what he says about the avengers, making them look silly for taking his inane criticisms to heart.

I wouldn't call Thanos the perfect villain, but working though his psychology makes much more sense as soon as you realize that you shouldn't take him at his word in regards to why he wants to kill half the life in the universe. His psychology makes perfect sense and it's satisfying to see it interact with the Avengers. I think the best way to describe it is that Thanos causes them to bring out their worst selves. Thanos turns the Hulk cowardly and weak, he reduces Thor to desperate rage, he breaks Iron Man's will...only cap manages to not compromise himself in the face of Thanos. Thanos doesn't do this on purpose, he doesn't explicitly prompt self examination the way Ultron does, but in terms of storytelling, the Russo's have a very clear, distinct idea of why Thanos does what he does, and how he changes the people around him. And this was shown in the Russo's other film as well, as you can very clearly map out how Tony breaks under the increasing guilt and stress that Civil War piles onto him.

So when I say that I wish the Russo's directed Age of Ultron, it's not because I think Whedon did a shit job or anything like that, but what he was attempting to do with Ultron didn't pan out because ultimately, Ultron was just insane and that was all there was to him. Trying to find a consistent motivation or philosophy is fruitless because it was always changing and shifting to whatever he needed at the moment to justify his homicidal tendencies. Under the Russo's, Ultron's "You don't want peace, you just want quiet" may have had some actual weight to it.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

my highlights
- ironman
- Cap
- Cap vs cap
- Cap vs Thanos
- Thor humor
- spiderman
- thors humor lol

dislikes
- rat mvp
- no luis with antman
- brucehulk personality
- black widow

It's pretty telling which people have little to no knowledge of the character dynamics that play through the previous movies.

Black Widow and Hawkeye's relationship as Platonic Life Partners being a good one.

Gamora was looking for a way to break from Thanos back during the first Guardians of the Galaxy. She actually does in that movie when she finds out the MacGuffin everyone is fighting for is the Power Stone. Now she finds out that not only are there people who can challenge Thanos but that they actually killed him once? Of course she would betray him given the opportunity.

Gotta love how when a female character is temporarily getting the better of Thanos she's OP, even though her purpose in the plot is to fail at the critical moment and force the real hero to make a desperate play.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'd say that the Ebony Maw studied the Pym Particles they took off future Nebula & was able to recreate them to travel through the Quantum Realm to the future when 2014 Nebula activated the platform.

This is what I was leaning towards. I was just wondering if there was something I missed.

What was confusing about it?

Well we knew that Pym Particles were required for time travel, so I was wondering how 2014 Thanos and his fleet got there when Nebula only had Pym Particles for one return trip for herself. I figure that Maw likely reverse engineered it after 2014 Nebula handed him the vial, but I was wondering if there was a detail I was missing.

Like..even after watching the movie twice I'm still not entirely sure what the machine in Avengers HQ actually does. I thought it was probably some kind of anchor to get characters back to the present, but Hawkeye seemed to get back fine without it in his test run.

Oct 27, 2017
It's stupid how they got gamorrah back. She should stay dead and be put back in the past. Because if she can come to the future just go get widow right before they do the plan. It obviously doesn't matter.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

my highlights
- ironman
- Cap
- Cap vs cap
- Cap vs Thanos
- Thor humor
- spiderman
- thors humor lol

dislikes
- rat mvp
- no luis with antman
- brucehulk personality
- black widow

Gamora didn't have an instant change of heart. The situation for her to turn on him presented itself earlier than in the regular timeline.

she's hated Thanos forever

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure which quote got me more hyped.

"Avengers...Assemble!" which was my FUCK YEAH *fist pump* moment.

or

"I am...Iron Man" which was my FUCK YEAH *tears start* moment.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Btw, I keep on thinking about Adam Warlock as well. With the Infinity stones gone, they completely need to rethink his character if James Gunn does introduce him in GotG v3. Adam Warlock has an important connection with the soulstone, so I still have doubts that Thanos actually destroyed the soul stone.

Would be a cool plot to have Peter looking for Gamorra, finding the soulstone on Titan 2 and have Adam innitially as the antagonist including boosted powers thanks to the stone.

I mean, Thor needs to fight something worthwhile while on the team, right?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was leaning towards. I was just wondering if there was something I missed.

Well we knew that Pym Particles were required for time travel, so I was wondering how 2014 Thanos and his fleet got there when Nebula only had Pym Particles for one return trip for herself. I figure that Maw likely reverse engineered it after 2014 Nebula handed him the vial, but I was wondering if there was a detail I was missing.

Like..even after watching the movie twice I'm still not entirely sure what the machine in Avengers HQ actually does. I thought it was probably some kind of anchor to get characters back to the present, but Hawkeye seemed to get back fine without it in his test run.

That's a good question. I was thinking maybe they had enough in that one vial for several doses.

Oct 25, 2017

It falls under Rocket's 'you're only a genius on Earth' line of thinking. I had no doubt they had the ability to reverse engineer and manufacture the particles fairly quickly.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

- Peter and past Gamora scene, in which Peter is so happy to see her, only to be kicked in the nuts. "Thats the guy? Really?" "Well it was either him or a tree"
I laughed so hard at that one lol no love for Rocket though?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed so hard at that one lol no love for Rocket though?
I mean, if a sentient tree was an option, I guess she may as well have been up for some beastiality.

More curious is that Drax was out of the running. I mean, personality wise, I can see why he would be, he is annoying, but atleast he's humanoid.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I mean, if a sentient tree was an option, I guess she may as well have been up for some beastiality.

More curious is that Drax was out of the running. I mean, personality wise, I can see why he would be, he is annoying, but atleast he's humanoid.
Well Drax did still want to kill her so maybe thats why lol

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Another thing that I was confused about (not a major reader of the comics) is I thought the snap is always completely random? So why was only Thanos and his army disintegrated? Or can the wearer somehow target who it evaporates?

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing that I was confused about (not a major reader of the comics) is I thought the snap is always completely random? So why was only Thanos and his army disintegrated? Or can the wearer somehow target who it evaporates?

You can do whatever you want with the stones. Thanos chose random. Iron man chose to target thanos and his crew

Iron man coulda turned them all into butterflies if he wanted

Oct 27, 2017
I think what the movie also did great with were the stakes everyone tried downplaying the deaths after IW like they would all come back nope we lost quite a few people

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
the death of black widow for the soulstone didnt make me sad. I didnt know they loved each other, what? lol i guess i missed that in all of the movies.

She credits Clint with remaking her. Here's a relevant sequence from Avengers. In Age of Ultron, Clint's children even address her as Auntie Nat. She's not a rival to Clint's wife, she's a great friend.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What Year Was Steve Rogers Dancing With Peggy Carter?
"We can't answer it for now," Joe said, "this is a story that happened in an alternate reality. Maybe it will be revealed in the future."

Were There Two Captain Americas In The Same Timeline?
So, if Steve Rogers ended up in a new timeline, that must mean there was another Captain America in that world who either stayed in the ice or was still discovered by S.H.I.E.L.D. in 2011 while our Cap grew old. However, it's hard to believe he remained inactive during that time and Joe Russo went to shed some light on how this apparent time paradox worked.

"To me, CA's action in the end wasn't the fact he wanted to change anything, it's more like me has made a choice. He chose to go back to past and lived with the one he loved for the rest of his life. The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don't know how exactly his life turned out, but I'd like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world.
"Yes, there were two CA in that reality, it's just like what Hulk said, what happened in the past has already happened. If you go back to past, you simply created a new reality. The characters in this movie created new timeline when they went back to the past, but it had no effect to the prime universe. What happened in the past 22 movies was still canon."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aven...uestions-and-addresses-major-spoilers-a168101

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
What Year Was Steve Rogers Dancing With Peggy Carter?
"We can't answer it for now," Joe said, "this is a story that happened in an alternate reality. Maybe it will be revealed in the future."

Were There Two Captain Americas In The Same Timeline?
So, if Steve Rogers ended up in a new timeline, that must mean there was another Captain America in that world who either stayed in the ice or was still discovered by S.H.I.E.L.D. in 2011 while our Cap grew old. However, it's hard to believe he remained inactive during that time and Joe Russo went to shed some light on how this apparent time paradox worked.

"To me, CA's action in the end wasn't the fact he wanted to change anything, it's more like me has made a choice. He chose to go back to past and lived with the one he loved for the rest of his life. The time travel in this movie created an alternate reality. He lived a completely different life in that world. We don't know how exactly his life turned out, but I'd like to believe he still helped many others when they were needed in that world.
"Yes, there were two CA in that reality, it's just like what Hulk said, what happened in the past has already happened. If you go back to past, you simply created a new reality. The characters in this movie created new timeline when they went back to the past, but it had no effect to the prime universe. What happened in the past 22 movies was still canon."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aven...uestions-and-addresses-major-spoilers-a168101

So why was old Cap back in their timeline, then? If Cap going to the past created an alternate reality, then he didn't actually grow old in their timeline. And he didn't use a vial because he didn't come back in the machine, he's just chillin on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.