• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw it. Absolutely fucking amazing.

Though I did find it strange that Thanos seemingly felt more powerful here *without* the stones than he was in IW with the stones.
This is explained as Thanos in IW wasn't really trying to kill them, he was just trying to get the stones, in EG he has taken it personally and is truly trying to kill them all. He also looked pretty unbeatable in IW too, with only Strange and Stormbreaker Thor able to even compete with him.(who are still the 2 most powerful characters in the MCU)

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is explained as Thanos in IW wasn't really trying to kill them, he was just trying to get the stones, in EG he has taken it personally and is truly trying to kill them all. He also looked pretty unbeatable in IW too, with only Strange and Stormbreaker Thor able to even compete with him.(who are still the 2 most powerful characters in the MCU)
Mmm, I suppose. Captain Marvel's scene also didn't gel with me fully. She went through Thanos' mothership like it was made of butter but Thanos could withstand her charge? And without the stones? Just small things like some power level inconsistencies kind of stood out but still didn't detract from my fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Though I did find it strange that Thanos seemingly felt more powerful here *without* the stones than he was in IW with the stones.

IW Thanos was mostly calm & "merciful", purely focused on his goal of obtaining the stones. He only killed Loki & Heimdall with any personal vendetta. Endgame Thanos is angry and has a beef with the whole universe but particularly the Avengers standing in his way.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

i thought the same, but i think thats cause in 2014 he had his armor which he brought with him. in Infinity war he loses his armor on purpose. And like when he's trying to get the Mind Stone, he's not really concerned about killing any of the avengers. Here he's actually trying to kill them.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is upsetting.

Because the movie is awesome but he's absolutely right about this.

In hindsight, I agree with his Thor Detour video RE: Infinity War, too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Howard the Duck was in this during the Assembling scene:

9n83X2R.jpg
he really was in the scene. damn. I thought it was fake.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is upsetting.

Hmm...I don't disagree with the video, and dramatically that makes more sense. However, logistically it makes no sense. Just give the godwoman the gauntlet. Though of course, it gets back to logistically how do the A-Force team actually help Carol.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Endgame Impressions
Realised I didn't put a full breakdown of the film so I'll post it now since the PlOt HoLe conversation seems to have ended. I have never had a film-going experience like this, since crowds are usually quiet outside of laughing at jokes. But the screen I was in was full of core fans, considering it was a midnight showing on release day and we were watching Infinity War just before that. So the crowd popped off at various moments throughout the film, and I couldn't help but join in.

Sometimes I find MCU humour to be a bit too much, so I liked that they leaned into the drama at the beginning of the film. Hawkeye looking away from his family and turning back to find them all missing was a strong opening. Tony's first words to Steve when he gets back to Earth was telling him he lost the kid. Tony gets angry at Cap in the briefing room for not standing by him, recalling the words he said in Age of Ultron. Tony looks really frail like he lost muscle mass. There's the part where Scott tries to find out what happened and realises people thought he was one of the vanished, and then he runs off to reunite with his daughter. Natasha is distraught when Steve comes back from the group therapy after hearing that Clint has gone on a killing spree. I liked the direction the film went in with showing how the Avengers were dealing with the loss. Killing Thanos did nothing for the heroes, and they just had to live with the aftermath for years.

Thor had immense guilt over not killing Thanos when he had the chance, and he falls down a well of depression. When Banner mentions Thanos in New Asgard, you can see the tears in his eyes and Korg tells them that they don't talk about what happened five years ago. Banner says Thor was the person who helped him when he was suffering, and now it is time for him to repay the favour. I also liked the talk he had with Frigga, and the realisation that he is still worthy when he calls for Mjolnir before coming back to 2023.

Banner is someone people are split on. I predicted he would have the merged personality (wasn't sure if he would be green or grey), and I liked that he found his inner peace. He just looks so happy, from when he is giving tacos to Scott, or taking pictures at the diner, or trying to get time travel to work before Tony arrives. I like his heroic moment of being the one to reverse the snap, even though he never sees combat.

Hawkeye and Black Widow have intertwined arcs. They are close friends, where Clint and his wife were planning on naming their second daughter Natasha (although since it was a boy, they named him Nathaniel) and young Lila called Nat auntie. Their roles are reversed considering their history: Natasha says that Clint saved her from the life of an assassin, whereas here she stops him from his rampage against criminals who he thinks should not have survived the snap. "Don't give me hope". It is a shame that Nat died, and I was hoping there was going to be some Soul Stone shenanigans to bring her back.

Steve and Tony finally reunite! But they completely push each other away and Tony ends up leaving the Avengers, although he is nice enough to let the others use the facility. It takes a little while until they get back to where they used to be. Tony lets go and moves on but then changes his mind when he sees the old photo of Peter Parker. I particularly liked him seeing his father again, considering the scene from Civil War where he regrets the last thing he said to Howard before he died. At the same time, Steve sees Peggy never fully moved on from his "death" and he wonders what life would've been like with her. Tony's end is done well, from his use of the stones, to Rhodes, Parker and Potts saying goodbye ("We're gonna be fine, you can rest now") and the whole funeral sequence. Steve getting old came totally out of the blue for me, and I wasn't ready for him to retire. But I am looking forward to what Sam will do, with Bucky in the Disney+ series and in the next Avengers film.

I really liked Scott in this film, and I've been a fan of his other films. It really sticks out to me how he is comic relief done well (the only person listening to Thor recap the events of the Dark World, Rocket being condescending to him when he gets excited about space travel, Rhodes calling him average sized man, the whole diner scene, the part where he turns into a baby, America's ass etc), compared to the Flash in Justice League. He has a major role in introducing time travel, he has the race to save War Machine, Rocket and Hulk, and he does his part of heist flawlessly. There's also the thing where he is a big fanboy of Captain America.

Nebula's story was something I was invested in at the end of Infinity War. She had made up with her sister at the end of Gaurdians 2 but went on her own way to kill Thanos. However she lost the chance to really build a relationship with her and the other Guardians. All alone in space with a stranger, and Tony plays a game with her to pass the time. The scene where she picks him up and puts him on the chair, and rests her hand on his shoulder, is the first time she has ever shown affection and care for someone else. She mourns with Rocket back on the Earth, and at the Garden she has the same kind of mixed emotions that Gamora had when she killed the Thanos illusion on Knowhere. In the five year gap she becomes an Avenger, and is finally part of a team. She has a later scene with Rhodes where they connect over having prosthetic parts (Rhodes was underused BTW, outside of making jokes and punching Quill in the face).

It feels like the directors and screenwriters went through all the films and asked each other how they could incorporate the best parts into Endgame, and it is pure fanservice in the best way possible.

Favourite Moments
-The way everyone's face drops when they find out Thanos has already destroyed the stones
-How re-energised Natasha and Steve look when they start testing with Scott's quantum tunnel
-Tony pulling out the shield from his car, which was under a pile of stuffed toys
-The 2012 heist crew just having fun
-Quill getting knocked the fuck out
-Thor, Cap and Iron Man confronting Thanos
-Cap picking up Mjolnir and Thor's reaction
-Cap standing alone against Thanos and the army
-"On your left" all the way to "Avengers Assemble"
-T'Challa remembering Clint's name
-Scarlet Witch tearing apart Thanos
-Captain Marvel acting as the cavalry
-The A-Force team up
-"I am Iron Man"

Other Thoughts
-I love that Okoye has been an Avenger for 5 years.
-The way Ant-Man and the Wasp look at each other when they are going for the van. It feels like a callback to their film where Scott asks Hope if she would've fought beside him if he told her about the events of Civil War, and this is their "let's do this together" moment.
-Loved the moment of calm after Hulk's snap where Scott looks at the birds and Clint looks over at his phone.
-Nice to see Clint and Wanda have a brief moment by the lake, considering their history from AoU and Clint's third child having the middle name Pietro after Wanda's brother.
-It was nice to see the sequence where the heroes are coming up with a plan on how to get the Infinity Stones, but it is a shame that we won't get to see that kind of thing again. I just like the idea of everyone being at the base together, hanging out and having dinner etc.
-All I wanted was for someone to fly through a ship like a bullet, and I got that in Captain Marvel's solo film, but she does it again to the Sanctuary in this film, and it looks great.
-So what happened with the Soul World idea? They just dropped that? I thought it would play a bigger part but we'll see what happens in Guardians 3.
-A complaint that carries over from Infinity War; I wish that the Soul Stone and Mind Stone had their respective abilities shown off.
-Was thinking that Vision would be rebuilt with the help of Shuri, but I guess they'll address that in Black Panther 2 or WandaVision.
-It is a huge accomplishment that Marvel fully realised their Big Three and made them more popular than ever. In terms of DC, their big 3 (Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman) were always their most popular heroes. But for Marvel, it was Spider-Man, Hulk and Wolverine.
-Hoping that at the beginning of the next Avengers film, there is a statue of the Original Six on the premises of wherever their next base is.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hey, so the shield that Cap hands Falcon at the end looks like it has a different graphical design than his normal shield (plus his got halved by Thanos). It looks very similar, but I could've swore the silver parts had a hexagonal pattern in them, and the star/colors looked a bit different as well.

If he took some well-deserved time for himself and lived the family life, where & when did he get that shield? Is the different shield proof he was in an alternate timeline? Will all these questions and more be left to interpretation for all time?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of birds. Did Thanos wipe half of all life or just sentient life? Does the first then include plants and trees?

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Loved it, loved it, loved it.. I really thought both Iron Man and Cap would die. I'm really glad Cap made it out alive.

Favorite scenes:
Spider-Man swinging in
Cap calling Avengers Assemble
The women standing up to protect Cap Marvel
Cap Marvel taking Thanos headbutt like nothing
Scarlet Witch really almost killed Thanos on her own
Cap using the hammer

Stuff that was weird:
It felt like anyone that wanted to hold a power stone could just hold it.
I wanted to see Hulk redeem himself against Thanos
I wanted fat Thor to get in shape again
Does this mean Loki has a stone in some timeline?
Old Man Cap looks a bit like Joe Biden

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm...I don't disagree with the video, and dramatically that makes more sense. However, logistically it makes no sense. Just give the godwoman the gauntlet. Though of course, it gets back to logistically how do the A-Force team actually help Carol.
I think the A-Force moment would feel much more earned.
Giving Stark a super cute sweet daughter was downright cruel Russos
It was pretty damn generous if you ask me. Tony deserved to know that life.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
So that guy standing alone in the funeral is that kid who helped Tony back in Iron Man 3 right? It's been bugging me that I don't know who he is!

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is upsetting.

god...that's such a great idea. i get why they just gave it to Carol, and that in some ways, the A team scene was mostly a fan service thing, even if it doesn't really make sense, as they don't really help cap that much, so it doesn't really bother me that much to even consider changing the scene... but thematically this would've been so incredible.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely looks like after the scene where Scott and Hope enter the van to try and hotwire it you can see Giant Man/Giant Antman taking down a ship.

Once the heroes have the gauntlet and trying to get to the Van, you can see it on the left of the screen when Black Panther is doing his run.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
50% of all life...that would be an ecological disaster and most likely lead to a downward spiral of sustainable life environments, not bring balance as Thanos intended. He really is an idiot. And yet people were defending his reasoning in the first film as some sort of Malthusian logic. It only makes sense in the context of him being mad/insane (which is fine).

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm sure people have mentioned it, but it is interesting to see how 2014 Thanos and 2018 Thanos have slightly different personalities.

One of the first things 2018 Thanos does is remove his armor as soon as he gets a 2nd Infinity Stone. 2014 Thanos leaves his on the whole movie, and it turns out that armor is actually kind of insane considering the beating he took.

2018 Thanos, despite having a gauntlet full of gems toys with people and even passes up several opportunities to kill people in favor of turning them into cubes and string. 2014 Thanos is constantly trying to go for the kill.

Do you think the extra failures of 2018 Thanos changed him, or just the fact that he started his movie with one gem already?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also,

Fuck off to the two guys who seemed to have entered the theater during the middle of the movie just to yell out "Iron Man dies." Fortunately they didn't get the reaction they wanted but I was very close to yelling "fuck off" from the other side of the theater. They did it as Clint and Nat were having their heart to heart before they fought.

I had already seen the movie but it just took me out and I felt like shit for the people who hadn't seen it.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm sure people have mentioned it, but it is interesting to see how 2014 Thanos and 2018 Thanos have slightly different personalities.

One of the first things 2018 Thanos does is remove his armor as soon as he gets a 2nd Infinity Stone. 2014 Thanos leaves his on the whole movie, and it turns out that armor is actually kind of insane considering the beating he took.

2018 Thanos, despite having a gauntlet full of gems toys with people and even passes up several opportunities to kill people in favor of turning them into cubes and string. 2014 Thanos is constantly trying to go for the kill.

Do you think the extra failures of 2018 Thanos changed him, or just the fact that he started his movie with one gem already?
I think it was the knowledge of his future self's success & failure is what changed him. He really seemed pissed and took it personally that the universe wasn't grateful that he "brought balance" to it.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that the only thing that really bothered me was how they had to neatly tie up the Cap ending. I mean, I get it, we are already 3 hours in, so yeah. But returning the stones to the exact moment is almost as tricky as taking them lol. That reinjecting of Jane must have been tricky.

I think the A-Force moment would feel much more earned.

It was pretty damn generous if you ask me. Tony deserved to know that life.

well, i meant mostly that it made it more painful for us lol

But yeah, that's true. Still, to only have four or five years for Tony is bittersweet.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
2014 Thanos also decided to sit instead of straight going straight for the stone. Thanos seems to have personality change after AoU post credit scene. Remember when he finally took the gauntlet and say "Fine, I'll do it myself".

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Also, and I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here so sorry, if I'm understanding correctly:

Cap living out his life with Peggy would have to be a separate timeline/reality. Meaning that Old Cap would have somehow had to have traveled back to 'our' reality to meet them at the end?

And there's also a different timeline/reality where Thanos and his army disappeared in 2014 (since they were brought to 'our' present) so none of the Infinity War events must have happened there, correct?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's a combination of several things.

Part of it is that Thanos, in some sense of the word, cares about his daughters, so Gamora and later Nebula betraying him probably made him do some self examination. 2014 is Thanos before his daughters betrayed him.

Part of it is that 2014 Thanos saw that his plan, in the future, went through and failed. A big thing for him is that he wants people to be grateful towards him. It's what he says when the Avengers first show up at his retirement home ("You should be grateful!") and he says it's part of the reason he wants to kill all life afterwards ("So all the life that comes after will only know what they recieved, not what they lost"). He has a sort of Savior complex, and you could say that he wants to be a Superhero to the universe, he wants to 'save the day' from the effects of resource loss, so him seeing that the thanks he gets for killing off half the life of the universe is him getting decapitated by Thor probably rocks his worldview.

And lastly, that last part demonstrates to him, quite clearly, he is not invincible. He's already used to being the biggest, strongest bastard in any room he enters, but when he gets 2 Infinity Stones at the start of IW, he by defacto becomes the most powerful being in the universe. He's basically playing the game on God Mode and it's only through extreme circumstances that people have even a minor chance of stopping him (People blame Quill for screwing up the plan in IW, and they should, but at the same time, I got the impression that even if they did manage to get the glove off, he'd have still won the actual fight against them and just recovered it later). Now, in Endgame, not only does he not have any stones, but he also walks around with the knowledge that the people he's fighting can and eventually do kill him.

So, I would say the last part of it is that he all well and good being his reserved, reasonable, merciful and calm self when he walked around with the expectation that no one could touch him. It's part of him playing out his hero fantasy, oh, he's not a monster, he's understanding and compassionate, he does what needs to be done, but won't punch down... but he only has this compassion for others when he believes he can't be threatened by anyone. 2014 Thanos, however, is who he is when he's facing true opposition. This marks him as having something of a cowardly trait, in that he is only capable of compassion when he has nothing to lose by being so.

Last edited:

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Also, and I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here so sorry, if I'm understanding correctly:

Cap living out his life with Peggy would have to be a separate timeline/reality. Meaning that Old Cap would have somehow had to have traveled back to 'our' reality to meet them at the end?

And there's also a different timeline/reality where Thanos and his army disappeared in 2014 (since they were brought to 'our' present) so none of the Infinity War events must have happened there, correct?

Yeah, the Russo brothers did an interview confirming this. He lives out his life in a different timeline and then travels back to the prime timeline with the shield to give to Sam. As long as you're traveling to the past you don't need that special platform he beamed off from. So he probably waited till he was 5 seconds into the future in his timeline from when he originally gets sent back by Professor Hulk and then travels back to be at that bench.

Similarly for your second question. That timeline now doesn't have Thanos or his army searching for the stones.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
But how? With the stones he was throwing moons and summoning black holes
Well, exactly. He was doing all that and shooting mega beams and Iron Man and company were taking it like champs.

Here he was basically fighting bare handed with no powers and everyone was having a seemingly much harder time. I understand it's personal now so he's supposedly giving it everything he's got, or so people say, but I find that questionable.

He was still fighting for his life in Infinity War, the Avengers were trying to kill him. I think throwing a damn moon at them showed he definitely wanted to kill them.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, exactly. He was doing all that and shooting mega beams and Iron Man and company were taking it like champs.

Here he was basically fighting bare handed with no powers and everyone was having a seemingly much harder time. I understand it's personal now so he's supposedly giving it everything he's got, or so people say, but I find that questionable.

He was still fighting for his life in Infinity War, the Avengers were trying to kill him. I think throwing a damn moon at them showed he definitely wanted to kill them.
Eh, yes and no. They were throwing massive large scale attacks at each other, and yeah, if Thanos had just let them hit him, then he'd have problems, but ultimately he considered himself invincible in IW.

And he pretty much was. All the magic and lasers that the group on Titan threw at him? It ultimately did nothing to him. "All that for a drop of blood" is all they managed to get out of him.

Thor alone was the only one who hurt him in any significant way.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight I absolutely agree with Nando v Movies about the following:

Drax should have gone with Thor, Rocket & Groot to make Stormbreaker and Drax should have held open the forge and died in the process instead of having Thor NOT die from receiving the full blast of a star.

1) Drax's character arc is now finished and it's much better this way

2) it would show growth for his character to accept that he doesn't have to be the one to kill Thanos directly

3) the audience has another meaningful death to contemplate and lament, another powerful sacrifice to raise the stakes

4) after Thor survives the star they've basically made him seem invulnerable to anything. What could be more powerful than a star? To have Thor do it instead of Drax, with no real sacrifice, made the whole adventure feel like a detour. Less impactful and kind of boring on repeat viewings.

Drax didn't need to be on Knowhere or Titan. He has some fun comedy bits in those scenes but he could have been a bigger player this way.

Here's the video making the case:

This makes sense but we wouldn't have gotten "Why is Gamora" lmaooo

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
uh that was...really fucking good. I'm pretty down on superhero flicks as a whole, but time just flew by with this one. it was pretty much perfect, apart from past Gamora switching sides at the drop of a hat. but that's the only criticism I have.

this is the most comic book comic book movie I've ever seen, and I mean that in a good way. give the Russos a Star Wars to direct.

Past Gamora was considering switching sides already GOING to switch sides like later that day once she met the guardians lol

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Was an hour too long in my opinion. Wasn't a fan of the whole time travel aspect. Especially with visiting past movies. I mean, I liked the movie overall but I wish it was shorter. Maybe people overhyped the movie for me but it was slightly better than IW for me. Meh

Edit: I do like the whole old Capn thing. Nice way to pass the mantle like in the comic books. Also fat Thor was great, glad they kept it that way lol

Status
Not open for further replies.