• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Wait wait wait, Natasha wasn't frozen or something like that, wasn't she? How would she be alive in the MCU in the 60s?
I *might* have imagined this in my head, but I recall there being speculation that it was going to take place in the 60s or 70s after Agent Carter, and basically be about her origins in the Black Widow program. She was never frozen but isn't there some suggestion in the movies that she's actually older than she looks? Maybe I'm just confusing her comic origins instead. Hmmm.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So with that Chinese inteview, think it can be reasonably assumed that they are not planning to magically revive Nat or Prime Gamora.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One important thing that means EVERYTHING if you want to be that guy and NOTHING if you just want to enjoy movies is the fact that Strange seemingly had to prompt Tony into sacrificing himself.

Now, this goes back into Strange apparently picking one of 14 million outcomes by giving the stone to Thanos, without having any other way to influence the outcome.
Which means that once he gave the stone to Thanos, there was really just one possible future and things would fix themselves.

So while the 14 million futures line is cool and makes things sound epic, the reality of it was "there's a scenario where we give him the stone and everything goes our way, or we can not give the stone and lose in 14 millions different ways". Strange had no ways to steer things in the right direction after he gave Thanos the stone, so there wasn't multiple scenarios past that points that would lead to defeat.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
The main problem here is that the current Avengers are on a massively higher power level than the original team.

T'Challa (with Shuri) is basically Cap wearing Tony's suit with access to better technology and an army good enough to fend off galactic invasions. Carol is Thor+Hulk on steroids. Strange is a fucking grand wizard. You can't really create storylines like IM3 or Winter Soldier and challenge these heroes (expecially Carol).

Either they make a lot of personal stories where power levels aren't really relevant (uh uh), or they need to up the ante.

Now, Doom is a good villain, but unless he's powered up like in Secret Wars, he's not really going to be a match for Strange + Carol.

This all checks out if they are going for the power level exclusively. I am approaching this more from the Lex Luthor (when he is written good) vs Superman dynamic initially. His power comes in the form of scheming and the building himself up along. Doom can throw many wrenches out there. Especially if we see the rise of other iconic villams he can ally with. I am more or less arguing not to break out Galactus, Mephisto, etc. as the big bads... yet.

Reset the super power arms race and have it more of slow burn plans unfolding in which power levels won't solve the issue.

Don't forget the one they messed up by letting Loki escape and having the SHIELD agents think Cap is the loop about Hydra. Lol.

I totally forgot about that!

This implies Loki may never have a redemptive arc in that timeline.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I *might* have imagined this in my head, but I recall there being speculation that it was going to take place in the 60s or 70s after Agent Carter, and basically be about her origins in the Black Widow program. She was never frozen but isn't there some suggestion in the movies that she's actually older than she looks? Maybe I'm just confusing her comic origins instead. Hmmm.

I still prefer my original idea that it's 2 hours of Scarlett Johansson and Zoe Saldana in bikinis chilling out in the Soulstone.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the Russos confirmed they didn't know/care about what they were doing.

The big, big, BIG problem with the "time traveling creates alternate realities" theory is that we always look at it from the perspective of the people who make the trip, the "visitors" who travel to the time where they want to go, never the "visited".
You travel to a place, split reality, they'll deal with it somehow.

But then that happens also when you're the one who's visited. At this point, when Thanos time travels to the Avengers HQ, he creates a new alternate reality, no? We're seeing a splinter of the "main" timeline at this point, by the same rules?

EG's rules on time travel are really "we want to have the cake and eat it". They casually handwave the idea that the Avengers created tons of new alternate realities, and if in at least 1 Thanos wins, they have created as much death as they prevented. If it happens in more than 1.... remember, one in 14 millions or so, right? What happens if Tony retires after the stroke in the new reality they visited?

Also, why would Thanos time travel in the future if it's alternate reality? Knowledge of the future is more important than traveling to someone else's future, at this point. He does what he did, but when he snaps, he snaps out Tony. Or the whole avengers team. He wins and nobody can change that.

I guess EG has become an excellent point for me to jump off from the MCU train, because I loved the ride, but EG has introduced all those comicbook elements that I frankly hate as they devalue narrative in my opinion. Time travels and alternate reality are a backdoor to inconsistency and being able to handwave any sort of consequence or stake in the story, and I'm not enamoured enough with the spectacle to think it's worth it. The idea that Captain America would go to someone else's reality, marry Peggy (possibly deleting what would have been her offsprings in her reality from existance) and then steal that reality's shield to bring it to his own... why? Why does he think his reality is more important than any other? Why does his reality need a Captain America more than the alternate one did? This is the guy who was worthy of Mjolnir?
Bah.

It's not a hand wave. It's perfectly consistent.

When a person travels in time, they create a new timeline. This doesn't mean they generate a new reality. it means they alter the trajectory of the reality they arrive in, sending it in a new direction.

When our MCU Captain left the prime timeline to stay with Peggy Carter, he set off an event that sent this reality in on divergent course - a new timeline. He lived a full life, then he jumped back to the MCU. At this instant, his arrival would set the MCU on a divergent path ie, a new timeline for the reality we've been witnessing all along. The dyanmic doesn't change between "visitors" and "visited". So yes, by those rules, when Thanos jumped forward into the primetime line, he altered the trajectory of it- creating a new timeline for our reality. The theory doesn't break.

People have to stop assuming plot holes simply because they don't follow the logic.

Why would Thanos jump to the future of another timeline? Because he didn't like the idea of his work being undone. Had he succeeded in stopping the Avengers in Endgame, he could have returned to his timeline with a full Gauntlet and performed the snap there too. Why wouldn't he want his plan to occur and last in as many realities as possible?

Captain didn't "delete" anyone's family - because Peggy's MCU family didn't exist in that reality. Nothing was "undone" as far as that reality is concerned, that future was never on the table for Peggy. You're talking about hypotheticals that don't matter because they aren't "real" in that universe. Peggy's family would still remain the same in the MCU timeline, and an infinite number of timelines that mirror it as far as Peggy is concerned. There's no need to mourn for Peggy's family.

It's also unlikely that he "stole" a shield. There's literally an infinite number of ways he could have legitimately come up with a shield in this alternate reality. Why would you assume he stole it? Because you don't like time travel?

Finally, chances are there will always be consequences for time travel. Just because this particular arc has seen a resolution, doesn't mean our hereos didn't inadvertently send the MCU and other realities on a dark path. Stark even alluded to the consequences of messing with time. It doesn't take much of a stretch to assume Marvel will drum up an interesting way to dissuade our heroes from taking these measures again - if for nothing else, to avoid retreading.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So can the time stone be used to reverse someone back to life? I know Thanos did this with Vision but Vision is a robot.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I hadnt even thought about how Tony's snap would not dust Gamora as well. I suppose in the moment you use the Gauntlet you get a degree of omnipresence that gives them a perception we don't see on screen.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So can the time stone be used to reverse someone back to life? I know Thanos did this with Vision but Vision is a robot.

Unsure. But I think we need to accept that some things need to be taken for facts. Like, they insist that Nat's sacrifice is permanent, but they also have Gamora back in the main universe.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So while the 14 million futures line is cool and makes things sound epic, the reality of it was "there's a scenario where we give him the stone and everything goes our way, or we can not give the stone and lose in 14 millions different ways". Strange had no ways to steer things in the right direction after he gave Thanos the stone, so there wasn't multiple scenarios past that points that would lead to defeat.
I see it that way too - in the sense that while IW had 14 million possible endings or whatever, once IW happened, Endgame could only happen this way because this was the way that the OG Avengers would behave and it was always going to end this way. Although I guess there is that other alternate ending where Strange tells Tony what's about to happen after he comes back, and then Tony flies off instead and everyone loses. Looooool!

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hadnt even thought about how Tony's snap would not dust Gamora as well. I suppose in the moment you use the Gauntlet you get a degree of omnipresence that gives them a perception we don't see on screen.

Tony probably knows about Gamora, I guess Thor or Banner could have told him she's the person who snitched on Thanos to begin with.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Unsure. But I think we need to accept that some things need to be taken for facts. Like, they insist that Nat's sacrifice is permanent, but they also have Gamora back in the main universe.

Past Gamora is literally another person though.
But yeah, with the multiverse and time travel, the door is always open for them to bring anyone back now.

Nov 30, 2017
You guys do realize that Disney+ will have a What If? Series that takes place in the MCU right? That alone should have given you a hint in the first place this is multiverse time travel

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The chain of event of Thanos looking into main timeline Nebula's memory, was started right before Clint and Rhodey leaves that 2014 timeline to the main timeline. Steve returning those stones to that 2014 timeline isn't going to stop Thanos from learning everything and stepping into the main timeline eventually.

Which means in order words, the 2014 timeline always have all stones, but 2014 Thanos thought otherwise (because he wasn't aware Steve/Bruce was gonna return the stones of 2014 back) and assume (like The Ancient One initially) that 2014 timeline is going to be missing 1 or 2 stones permanently from the timeline and thus invade the main timeline.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I am honestly hoping Spider-man: Far from Home does some footwork to describe how the unsnapped population is reintegrated back into society and it actually serves as a plot point. Doesn't have to be a huge plot point.

I am interested in that sub story.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean they had to pull a Gamora from a different point in time. The Gamora we really know is still dead.

Yeah, I think the only thing that stops them from going an picking up one of the 14 million+ Natashas that are still alive in all the other realities is that the 14 million other Avengers would miss her precisely as much as they do.

Did I mention multiple realities cheapen narratives a bit :P ?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The chain of event of Thanos looking into main timeline Nebula's memory, was started right before Clint and Rhodey leaves that 2014 timeline to the main timeline. Steve returning those stones to that 2014 timeline isn't going to stop Thanos from learning everything and stepping into the main timeline eventually.

Which means in order words, the 2014 timeline always have all stones, but 2014 Thanos thought otherwise (because he wasn't aware Steve/Bruce was gonna return the stones of 2014 back) and assume (like The Ancient One initially) that 2014 timeline is going to be missing 1 or 2 stones permanently from the timeline and thus invade the main timeline.

I don't think it's that complicated, the Avengers were basically already doing his job for him, and Thanos just took the shortcut to get all the stones immediately.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie.
But it has more plot holes than Swiss cheese.

One I just thought of now. Why did they need to time travel to get all the stones when they could of just got the time stone, which would of given them complete mastery over time?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly hoping Spider-man: Far from Home does some footwork to describe how the unsnapped population is reintegrated back into society and it actually serves as a plot point. Doesn't have to be a huge plot point.

I am interested in that sub story.

I think the most interesting potential for that angle is BP2

Who has been leading Wakanda for the last five years? And are they just going to give it up now that T'Challa is back?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If its unnatural avoidable death like car accident then yah, but its natural death or unnatural unavoidable death then no.
Like you can rewind to a month before Titanic set sail and tell the passengers not to board it. Or tell a village to evacuate because a tornado is going to hit their place 2 months later.

So its not really a binary thing. Its a yes and no.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah, I think the only thing that stops them from going an picking up one of the 14 million+ Natashas that are still alive in all the other realities is that the 14 million other Avengers would miss her precisely as much as they do.

Did I mention multiple realities cheapen narratives a bit :P ?
Or maybe because the Avengers are woke and understand what consent means. :)

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
What if Tony is the voice of the AI in Spider-Man's new red and black suit?

Although no, that wouldn't be worth the cost of RDJ.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I see it that way too - in the sense that while IW had 14 million possible endings or whatever, once IW happened, Endgame could only happen this way because this was the way that the OG Avengers would behave and it was always going to end this way. Although I guess there is that other alternate ending where Strange tells Tony what's about to happen after he comes back, and then Tony flies off instead and everyone loses. Looooool!

Tony knows that if he doesn't do that, Morgan has a 100% chance of dying, and he does too.

But now I'm imagining a scene where Tony fights Thanos using the infinity stones instead of snapping. If his body could hold out even for just a couple minutes... imagine Tony's brain having access to infinity stones fuckery.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Great movie.

One I just thought of now. Why did they need to time travel to get all the stones when they could of just got the time stone, which would of given them complete mastery over time?

There's been nothing shown that indicates the time stone can actually move the user forward and back in time like that. We've only ever seen it used to make loops and turn back the clock on specific moments.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
If its unnature death like car accident then yah, but its natural death then no.
I think you can "reverse" natural death too, but you would simply be reversing a person's individual "time". So if someone dies of old age and you reverse it an hour, an hour later that person would still die of old age. Or even cancer or whatever. You could probably use the time stone to reverse several years of that person's life, but that would mean those years are reversed for that person and he doesn't remember any of those things. Could be a pretty weird experience.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
There's been nothing shown that indicates the time stone can actually move the user forward and back in time like that. We've only ever seen it used to make loops and turn back the clock on specific moments.
I guess I'm still thinking of them from the comics.
Each stone is supposed to be the zenith of power in each of it's field.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Or maybe because the Avengers are woke and understand what consent means. :)

I think this is where infinity realities vs a single real timeline makes sense.

If it was one timeline that is constantly changing (a closed loop), then snatching Gamora and bringing her in the future would be a 100% positive action and could be applied to Natasha too. She was pretty adamant about not wanting to die (which is different from being fine sacrificing her life, to elaborate on your point about consent). You go pick her up, fixed. She's the same person, in the same timeline, who was dead for a while.

But if it's multiple realities, well yeah, you screw up some of them, and you're factually taking a different person to your reality.

Nov 30, 2017
I didn't know this.

A big budget, fully funded and committed "What If?" series is a fucking dream. Hell, gimme a 6-part Marvel 1602 while we're at it. I WANT ALL OF IT DISNEY.

It's animated unfortunately. The first one is What If Peggy got the super soldier serum. I think it's still a cool idea and will check it out when it hits Canada.

Last edited:

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

Who has been leading Wakanda for the last five years? And are they just going to give it up now that T'Challa is back?

Yes! The unsnap opens up many interesinting storytelling opportunities for all their properties. Especially in BP now that you mention it.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I think the idea is that the time stone can reverse and forward time in its own timeline. Meaning you could rewind in the same line of events and try to change things, like fighting Thanos 13 million times and losing. Or give him the stone knowing eventually you'll win :p .

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you can "reverse" natural death too, but you would simply be reversing a person's individual "time". So if someone dies of old age and you reverse it an hour, an hour later that person would still die of old age. Or even cancer or whatever. You could probably use the time stone to reverse several years of that person's life, but that would mean those years are reversed for that person and he doesn't remember any of those things. Could be a pretty weird experience.

well yah precisely what I kinda mean. It doesn't really change much.

I don't think it's that complicated, the Avengers were basically already doing his job for him, and Thanos just took the shortcut to get all the stones immediately.

Thats true in the end. Jumping to Endgame event timeline is easier than gathering the stones himself anyway.

Nov 30, 2017
Great movie.

Because the only way they can do that is with the Eye of Agamotto. And only the master of the mystic arts could wield it

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I want a movie showing ant-man's road trip across the US in the beat up van helping average folks in flyover states.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

I'm pretty sure in interviews etc they said Okoye took over, which seems to make sense and tally with her reporting in from Wakanda to Avengers HQ after the time jump. She's one of the leaders - there's Rocket handling part of Space, Danvers handling the other, and then Rhodes, Widow and Okoye are handling various aspects of Earth. Maybe M'Baku was so shellshocked by what he'd seen he didn't want to take over.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Any word on the giant blu ray box set that encompasses everything from Iron Man 1 to Endgame? I've been holding off on Marvel blu rays since Guardians of the Galaxy knowing this would eventually be happening. Best guess is this Christmas?

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Great movie.

I think in the movies the powers of the time stone are on a local scale unless paired with the whole gauntlet which makes it universal. The same with the reality stone, that would sort of explain why Malekith needs the convergence to bring everything together once he has the Aether? Thats my head canon anyway.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want a movie showing ant-man's road trip across the US in the beat up van helping average folks in flyover states.
I wish for a 7 episodes series Steve Roger's adventure to return the stones, each 15 mins episode showing Steve returning a stone. The last episode showing Steve Rogers living out his life with Peggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.