• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah that too!
The elevator scene callback is so smart, can't get that out of my head. Bringing back that scene to the 2012 timeline and then subverting it with an in-universe reference that also doubles as a comic nod... One of my favorite scenes in the movie
Loved all of Cap's butt bit in the Battle of New York sequence. Was great seeing the direct comparison to how much he's changed from his "language" days to "you gotta be shitting me" when he had to fight himself among other things. America's ass indeed.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people keep mentioning alternate timelines? There aren't any as explained in the movie the stones being put back erases any branch timelines. There is only one timeline.
Ancient One only caution about taking the stone because it would doomed the timeline which the stone was taken from.

The timeline where Thanos died (2014) and Loki escaped (2012) is not the same as the main one or each other, so they'll go differently hence "alternate timelines".

Last edited:

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
How to add the X-Men/mutants brainstorm board:

- Cap & Peg are just having sex constantly, make lots of babies together in the old days and eventually their genes mutate into Jubilee or whatever.

- Snapping out and in caused some people's DNA to go crazy giving rise to these muties. Ned is totally turning into an omega level mutant.

Remember when Rocket said the snap released absurd waves of Gamma radiations on Earth .... :) ?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still disappointed that Bruce didn't show up action wise in Endgame. It's bad enough that in IW, he was essentially a no-show, and now in Endgame, we barely see him fight at all. I honestly don't know if he can even fight properly in his current form.

He can't. He's absolutely not trained for fighting. He's a giant dork with the strength of the Hulk.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how doomed the 2012 timeline is.

No one is there to stop Peter Quill from being manipulated by his father once he finds him. (Unless he is killed prior to that). Ego's other children was only discovered by Gamora only after Nebula flew through the sky and broke though Ego's Planetary Body as the two fought. So Ego may have been successful in that timeline.

Other potentials:

2012 has Loki on the loose & The Ancient One having doubts about Strange. If she decides to ignore Strange's plead for Sanctum and to Learn magic, there is no one to stop Dormammu since her death is inevitable.

1970's has a Howard Stark whose pep talk from a "Howard Potts" may have changed his perspective and decisions. Pym has lost some of his particles and he may become paranoid if he notices.

The only timeline that wasn't fucked hard in someway was 2013 since Thor's interactions with his Mom wouldn't change the outcome of her decisions and upcoming death. Thor's hammer was returned, and the guards Rocket alerted weren't important with guarding or fighting anything.

The way I see it, Ronan will still be after the Power Gem even if Thanos is no longer in the picture and the conflict will still establish the Guardians of the Galaxy. No Gamora or Nebula will change things, however, and something would need to change to stop Ego from winning Quill over. It would probably be Yondu, I guess. He'd either save Quill or kill him to save the universe.

Quill dying wouldn't really matter, though, because there's no Thanos to gather the Infinity Gems either.

The Ancient One already knows the future, knows Strange's future up to when she dies, so she isn't going to turn him away or anything like that. She didn't doubt him at all, but understood something terrible must happen in the future that he knew they had to give up the Time Gem to stop. Unlike the main timeline they won't even lose the Time Gem because Thanos won't try to get it, so in a way Earth will remain safer.

Pym already didn't trust SHIELD. If he thinks they stole his Pym particles it wouldn't change anything and would only accelerate his decision to bail on them and never share his knowledge with anyone.

I think that alternate timeline, the one Thanos came from, would end up fine. Maybe even safer than the main timeline. Without him there to gather the Infinity Gems, they'll remain spread across the universe. Xandar will still have the Power Gem and might use it to create Nova, Strange will still have the Time Gem, Vision will still have the Mind Gem, the Collector would still have the Reality Gem... The Asgardians would have made it safely to Earth and Loki would still have the Space Gem tucked away somewhere.

Yeah, I think the alternate timeline would ultimately end up better off.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Did anyone else get the impression they are trying to make war machine and nebula a thing ? I kinda got that feeling from their dialogue on Morag about how both of them are broken.
Not "a thing" as in romantic, but more of "a thing" in that they both on a level can share not being fully in control of their own body anymore.

I'm still disappointed that Bruce didn't show up action wise in Endgame. It's bad enough that in IW, he was essentially a no-show, and now in Endgame, we barely see him fight at all. I honestly don't know if he can even fight properly in his current form.

he totally smashed that car! And threw that bike!
Raaawr!

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why do people keep mentioning alternate timelines? There aren't any as explained in the movie the stones being put back erases any branch timelines. There is only one timeline.

The Ancient One explains that her alternate reality not having an Infinity Stone would lead to destruction for them (namely Dormammu being able to destroy Earth without the Time Stone) which is why it was necessary for them to be returned at the moment they were taken to minimize the risk.

The Avengers already irreversibly created alternate timelines through their actions, the biggest ones being where Loki escapes with the Tesseract after the end of Avengers, and another where Thanos and his forces suddenly disappear around the start of GotG.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Can we talk about how doomed the 2012 timeline is.

No one is there to stop Peter Quill from being manipulated by his father once he finds him. (Unless he is killed prior to that). Ego's other children was only discovered by Gamora only after Nebula flew through the sky and broke though Ego's Planetary Body as the two fought. So Ego may have been successful in that timeline.
The thing that made Starlord hate his father was the fact Ego planted a tumor in Starlords mother.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what that has to do with my post

I assumed you were talking about Iron Man and Captain America, but it makes more sense that you would be talking about Black Widow.

My point is they introduced time travel so they left a door open for bringing characters back if they really want to. They've emulated comics so closely that now characters are only as dead as the writers want them to be.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun to read articles that speculated on the veracity of "leaks" ahead of release. Some of the leaked stuff was actually in the movie and too specific to be an asspull. Even better when the article's writer totally discounted it.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Anyone else wanted more of Dr.Strange? That characters just clicks with me and Cumberbatch nails the role. His powerset is OP and unique.

Also given Evans comments about Marvel having him whenever they want, safe to say they'll de-age him in a few years for Avengers 7 or something?

They need to do stingers of Cap returning the Infinity stones + Mjolnir.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
So does this mean that all the people who survived Infinity War are now five years older than those who were brought back?

Imagine being 8 years old at the time of the snap and having a 13 year old brother who turned to dust. You'd both be the same age when he came back.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I personally hope that Rogers and Stark stay out of the picture and that future films move on with other characters.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
So does this mean that all the people who survived Infinity War are now five years older than those who were brought back?

Imagine being 8 years old at the time of the snap and having a 13 year old brother who turned to dust. You'd both be the same age when he came back.

I don't think so, the Snapped didn't age.

Oct 28, 2017

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So does this mean that all the people who survived Infinity War are now five years older than those who were resurrected?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. I'd really love it if some of the follow-up Marvel films brought this up, but I imagine they won't delve too deeply into the mechanics of this, lol.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Also, during Tony's death scene, some kid walked in the theater and said "I think I'm in the wrong theater" then walked out. welp.

tenor.gif

Similar thing happened in mine, a couple came in during the "hail hydra" moment.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Dug the elevator scene callback to Winter Soldier. Also, with Sam Wilson as the new Captain America, does he undergo the super-soldier enhancement? Or is he just gonna be a dude with a vibranium shield?

He needs to pay a visit to wakanda and smell some flower shit (i dont think that the flower is completely extinct with killmonger burning them all... there has to be some blooms)

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
After thinking about it for a few days, this is my second favorite Avengers movie.

Silly plot blemishes aside I loved a lot of the interactions between characters especially during the 2012 timeline.

My favorite Avengers movie is still the first one. Least Favorite is AoU (I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.)

I think once Endgame hits home video I will rewatch it more than I have IW or AoU.

Oct 28, 2017
The Ancient One explains that her alternate reality not having an Infinity Stone would lead to destruction for them (namely Dormammu being able to destroy Earth without the Time Stone) which is why it was necessary for them to be returned at the moment they were taken to minimize the risk.

The Avengers already irreversibly created alternate timelines through their actions, the biggest ones being where Loki escapes with the Tesseract after the end of Avengers, and another where Thanos and his forces suddenly disappear around the start of GotG.

From the article i linked earlier....

Let's use the Ancient One's language here: there are not multiple "timelines" there are multiple "realities." A branch reality can only split off the main timeline if an Infinity Stone is removed from that timeline and not replaced.

In order to delete all the branch timelines that the historical stone disruption will create, Banner makes a suggestion: "We can erase it. Once we're done with the stones, we can return each one to its own timeline the moment it was taken so, chronologically, in that reality, it never left."

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed you were talking about Iron Man and Captain America, but it makes more sense that you would be talking about Black Widow.

My point is they introduced time travel so they left a door open for bringing characters back if they really want to. They've emulated comics so closely that now characters are only as dead as the writers want them to be.

It'd be really lame if they did so I sure hope they don't

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After Hulk snaps his fingers to undo Thanos' snap, we take a moment with Scott where he has this realization that his crazy ass plan actually worked.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
He needs to pay a visit to wakanda and smell some flower shit (i dont think that the flower is completely extinct with killmonger burning them all... there has to be some blooms)

Not happening, the Heart Shaped Herb is reserved for Wakandan kings or relatives they deem worthy to take over the Black Panther part of the job.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Let's use the Ancient One's language here: there are not multiple "timelines" there are multiple "realities." A branch reality can only split off the main timeline if an Infinity Stone is removed from that timeline and not replaced.

In order to delete all the branch timelines that the historical stone disruption will create, Banner makes a suggestion: "We can erase it. Once we're done with the stones, we can return each one to its own timeline the moment it was taken so, chronologically, in that reality, it never left."

That makes sense, I guess the problem right now is everyone's trying to explain what they think is happening based off their own memories or interpretations of the movie lol. Things will probably clear up when the relevant scenes are uploaded online or the Russos explain directly.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
After Hulk snaps his fingers to undo Thanos' snap, we take a moment with Scott where he has this realization that his crazy ass plan actually worked.
Ant-Man saved the Universe.
Sometimes it really is the smallest thing that moves the largest boulder.

I was actually a little anxious for all the kids in my cinema who were hoping for heroics right off the bat, hoping they wouldn't get bored and tune out.

They got what they came for eventually but had to sit through a good deal of somber drama.

The kids in my showing yesterday were so well behaved, I was really happy.
When I saw how many 10 + - years old kids there were, I was a little anxious about them acting up but the entire audience was just great throghout the movie and totally absorbed. I think I heard the one kid behind me a couple times very gently whisper to her dad and he whispered something back to her but it was like, absolute nothing.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I was super tempted to be the annoying person that shouts out "the end" when it cut to black after Thor chopped Thanos' head off.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anytime Vormir is mentioned or visited in the MCU, we're all gonna tense up. Shittiest planet ever.

Imagine the GoTG team deciding to visit the place to have a memorial for Gamora, only seeing it being turned into some themepark/arena/tourist attraction by the efforts of The Collector, The Grandmaster and a third brother. I want to see that.

Add in Beta Bill Ray

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I think that was the Hulk assuming they make no other disturbances. When Captain America goes to return the stones he also takes Mjolnir - maybe for protection but it's likely he took it to return to Thor. The implication is that any changes cause a branch, but the loss of an Infinity Stone means certain doom for that branch eventually.

The way the Avengers act when they are out of their own time is also as if any changes they make will cause a branch.

Deleting branches seems to be more a case of making sure that 'branch' plays out the same way.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Watching the movie a second time really made me appreciate the whole thing so much more.

I love it the first time, but moments like Tony's death and Nat's death were sad the first time, but I was so shocked and in denial that they'd actually stay dead that I missed how well they were both done with subtle moments. I missed that Rhodey was the first at Tony's side because he doesn't say much, if anything, it's just this silent checking on his friend with an acknowledged goodbye. Even Pepper staying strong for Tony to reassure him that they'd be okay and letting him rest to her breakdown as he passes if just heartbreaking, then of course I also missed his arc reactor light blinking off before his hand falls. Since I'm talking about Tony, RDJ's meltdown once he gets back to Earth is so powerful in the despair he feels and to see where he gets to with Pepper and Morgan in a cabin in the woods, it drive the point home more that he has so much to lose.

That scene with Nat and Clint I saw coming from the moment they were both going to Volmir the first time I saw it but I didn't notice all the moments leading up to that moment like Nat's "See you in a minute" joke before they time jump or Clint and Nat's joking with each other the whole mission (Clint's "we've come a long way since Budapest" or whatever the line was). The fight between them was the most spy type shit fight and was so bad ass and emotional. They kept betraying each other just so the other person wouldn't be able to make the sacrifice, and each time they'd get a slow motion shot as if we were about to see their sacrifice and each time they wouldn't let it happen, until Nat outwits Clint so he has no choice but to let her fall. That scene fucked me up so bad the second time I saw it because she wins so hard being the better spy by putting Clint in a position to not be able to make the choice, but from Clint's perspective, he realized he fucked up by fighting her on it because she outsmarted him and he was stuck having to literally let his best friend drop to her death. You see him notice she hooked the grapple to his belt and he tries to pull them both up but has no leverage and she has her fingers straight out like she isn't even trying to help him hang on. I still question how genuine Thanos' love for Gamora is in IW, but this scene just ripped my heart out. Then seeing Clint not just as he realized what happened but seeing him crumble as he comes back and the look on Bruce and Steve's faces, the other closest friends to Nat, just kill me. The whole build up of her holding on to trying to find Clint while he's on this bloody and destructive path and how she's trying to still hold on to being a good strong person working at trying to help others in this life she's been able to grow into is just brutal, especially after watching her growth with my recent marathon. Like we've seen how close her and Steve grow despite them starting as spies that are so different in personalities to the point where she flies out to Peggy's funeral just to support Steve, from spilling SHIELD's secrets in a congressional hearing to representing the Avengers in the Sokovia signing as a diplomat or emissary to basically being the new Avengers/"SHIELD" director, she lowkey grows a ton as a person. And even with Clint on a rampage of vigilantism, her heart just pours out for the hurt of her friend losing his family.

And of course seeing the movie knowing how Cap's ending pays off, his whole arc has been losing everything he used to know and trying to move on but then just trying to hold on to the people he had left like Bucky and Peggy. We got to spend time with the characters, but I think it was unfortunate how in TFA, most of the likely months that he spends with the Howling Commandos fighting alongside Bucky, obviously on top of being his childhood friend, as well as how much time got to see Peggy, or at least would see her but never got a chance to spend quality time with her since it was wartime. It was unfortunate from a standpoint of just wanting to see more, but I think as an audience, we don't feel quite the same sense of loss as Steve does; we don't get to know Bucky as well and spend more time with him as the Winter Soldier, who is Bucky as a different, changed person, and we see Peggy and Steve's budding romance, but it glosses over how strong their connection was where he was carrying her picture with him for so many years but they never got a chance. In the movie, it makes it seem like Steve and Peggy barely get to meet before they do a couple missions and she kisses him and then they never get to have their first dance, but they were in the middle of a war and likely just didn't have time for love until it was too late. This movie really brings back around how Cap tells everyone how important it is to move on and be optimistic, but he's not able to do it. He's never resentful about it like he could be, but having a mind control vision of dancing with Peggy is not the same as actually going to the past and seeing how close he is to get a chance to talk to her again, especially after losing her in the present, and practicing the restraint to carry on with the mission and not compromise it for himself. I'm really happy that this is Cap's end. I was disappointed that Civil War didn't get a chance to wrap but things for Steve since I thought that would be the last chance he'd get, like Tony did in his trilogy and Thor did in his. Cap didn't get his ending even though I thought it needed a conclusion to at least being able to get his friend Bucky back or move on with a new romance in Sharon. Anything that at least gave the poor guy some closure to the tragedy of his life circumstances. In that way, I know some people wanted Cap's conclusion to be a hero's death of sacrifice on the battlefield, but Cap would do that without question anyways. Him jumped on a grenade as a skinny guy, so I thought he deserved some happiness and fulfillment out of his life rather than always chasing it and dying without finding something, like the deep love he longed to have with Peggy. Tony get's to have the heroes' death because that is something he started out as being unwilling to do, "unwilling to make the sacrifice play" as Steve says, so it means so much more when he does it when he has built a family and has everything to lose. Steve would sacrifice everything but never got his chance to find love or have his own family, he's always been the warrior, the soldier, fighting for others and rarely really getting a chance to fight for himself, besides Bucky (so technically that is a lot, but in Steve's mind, he's fighting for the person he believes Bucky is/was rather than just because he wants to have his best friend back around).

I also noticed how Steve's last moment with Bucky, with their "don't do anything stupid while I'm gone" and "you're taking all the stupid with you" is Steve signalling to Bucky that he might not be coming back. Bucky even says "I'm going to miss you, pal" right before he's about to go when Sam and Hulk think he's just going to be gone for 5 seconds. Bucky even starts to look around as Sam and Bruce try to figure out what happened. Even after Bucky notices Steve on the bench, he signals to Sam to see for himself who it is, smiling to himself like he already knows that it's going to be Cap waiting right there for them. And of course everything following that is perfect with the hand off of the shield to Sam, Steve not wanting to talk about Peggy while he smiles to himself, and then it fading to their dance. That ending really takes the movie to high heights since it leaves you with one of the most earned moments and leaves you feeling good walking out of the theater.

If I would have known for sure that Cap and Tony die before going into the movie, I might have been pissed, especially since I have resisted the idea since I didn't feel like they've gotten to a place where a good conclusion could be reached in an Avengers film, especially if it meant being killed by fucking Thanos, but they pulled it off so well, I'm not even mad. I'm happy that they got the endings they did over my own selfish wants of more story with them and how I wanted to see them concluded in their own movies. Also I wouldn't have expected Widow to die in a serious way and I wouldn't have expected her to have such a satisfying sacrifice, but I do feel upset that she didn't get to find her own happiness other than giving her life so her best friend can have his and many other people can have theirs. Unlike Tony and Steve who are probably done forever, she's coming back, so even though I'm guessing it will be a prequel sort of approach, maybe we get a chance to see how her relationships with Clint, his family, and Fury grew to really help her to begin to change her life from her old ways to find more meaning. Although, thinking about it a little more, I think Widow's arc through the MCU had been set up in The Avengers of having "red in her ledger" and trying her best to be able to feel content in her redemption. It does seem why she takes on the "director" job as well as why she says that everything has been leading up to the moment at the cliff. I think that was her finally feeling like she was able to give everything she had to help others and atone for her past.

This movie is so great. If you couldn't tell, it really satisfies my investment as a fan in these characters.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I imagine there's going to be some fall out with all those people coming back after five years, does FFH really take place after Endgame? It's super convient if Peter and everyone he knows was also snapped out existence too. Still gonna be weird for the MCU to be set in 2023 and later unless they're just going to minimize addressing it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine there's going to be some fall out with all those people coming back after five years, does FFH really take place after Endgame? It's super convient if Peter and everyone he knows was also snapped out existence too. Still gonna be weird for the MCU to be set in 2023 and later unless they're just going to minimize addressing it.
Convenience is the name of the game. Superhero comic book movies.

EDIT: Also May wasn't snapped, so there's that.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I also understood it so that removing Infinity stones from a branch will doom it, not that bringing back the stones will prevent alternate timelines entirely.
It's clear that there absolutely are alternate timelines - they killed 2014 Thanos and his entire army + 2014 Nebula before the events of GotG1 even happened! And Loki used the Tesseract to escape in 2012 - presumably to a certain streaming service. How would that even be reconcilable with a unified timeline?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Nah, Vulture's cousin sucks lol. I can't imagine him being Captain America... I bet his movie would bomb HARD.

I'm not sure they'd want to make films in which Sam is the main attraction at this stage. Merely possessing the shield doesn't necessarily make him a more bankable asset, and the title is going to be associated with Steve Rogers in the cinemagoers' minds for a very long time thanks to Chris Evans' charismatic performance.

I'll be interested to see Marvel's plans for Phase 4, but so far they don't seem to include further Captain America titles. Sam would need a power upgrade at the very least.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In theory, how do you even put 'back' the Soul Stone?

The freaky sacrifice planet thing is like... someone already claimed this I don't want it back, give it back to him.

Basically at best you just leave it on the ground there lol, anyone could come along and pick it up again. As we've seen, once its been given form the one time, apparently anyone can just grab it/pass it around and even USE it after that.
Hmm, yeah, I assumed the soul stone would stay loyal and could only be used by those who earned it through sacrifice. Apparently it becomes just like any other stone once it's been retrieved the first time from Vormir.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Watched last night and that time travel thing is so lazy and lame. They needed five years to figure out how time travel is a solution? Really disappointing when writers use that kind of "solution". Dumb.

You misunderstand the nature of the problem, which is not "how do we have our heroes defeat Thanos?" but "how on earth are we going to introduce the multiverse into the MCU?" Doctor Strange (and possibly the Ant Man films) touched on this, but Endgame places the underlying concepts centre stage. The narrative freedom introduced makes it worth braving the distaste some viewers have for time travel stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.