• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Captain america got a brilliant send off and that epic Mjolnir scene. Made the movie.

But besides that, thought the wow-action moments were missing from the rest of the movie and characters.

Especially bitter about hulk! He did nothing.

Haha 8/10

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I once again can't believe where we ended up after I watched the original Iron-Man in 2008 with my friends.
We were all "Man, RDJ is such an amazing Tony Stark, wish we could see more of him". Then the MCU happened.
And the whole "I am Iron Man." Just. Damn. The last words of his first film are also his last words (when alive) of his last film.
George Lucas would be proud of this rhyming poetry.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like there could have been a cut scene where Hulk sees Natasha inside the soul stone when he snaps.
Definitely. Having her say "Whatever it takes" to Banner in a similar fashion to how Child Gamora said "what did it cost" to Thanos back in IW would've got me bad.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the Russos saw BannerXNatasha as the most stupid and non-sense of ships, and ended that shit in IW with a "Hey wassup".

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone keep talking about Black Panther and Captain Marvel, and literally no one even mention Doctor Strange.

The most powerful sorcerer in the universe, and he isn't even a contender to be leader of the new Avengers. Smh.

He's not even going to join the Avengers in any official capacity, let alone lead them. He's the Sorcerer Supreme, so he has more... exotic fish to fry. He doesn't even have the Time Gem any more so his job got way harder, too. How's he going to handle Dormammu if he shows up again?

I think that might be the extent of his cooperation with the Avengers - he'll help when they need it and ask for help when he needs it, but won't be part of the roster.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
In theory, how do you even put 'back' the Soul Stone?

The freaky sacrifice planet thing is like... someone already claimed this I don't want it back, give it back to him.

Basically at best you just leave it on the ground there lol, anyone could come along and pick it up again. As we've seen, once its been given form the one time, apparently anyone can just grab it/pass it around and even USE it after that.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Can we talk about how doomed the 2012 timeline is.

No one is there to stop Peter Quill from being manipulated by his father once he finds him. (Unless he is killed prior to that). Ego's other children was only discovered by Gamora only after Nebula flew through the sky and broke though Ego's Planetary Body as the two fought. So Ego may have been successful in that timeline.

Other potentials:

2012 has Loki on the loose & The Ancient One having doubts about Strange. If she decides to ignore Strange's plead for Sanctum and to Learn magic, there is no one to stop Dormammu since her death is inevitable.

1970's has a Howard Stark whose pep talk from a "Howard Potts" may have changed his perspective and decisions. Pym has lost some of his particles and he may become paranoid if he notices.

The only timeline that wasn't fucked hard in someway was 2013 since Thor's interactions with his Mom wouldn't change the outcome of her decisions and upcoming death. Thor's hammer was returned, and the guards Rocket alerted weren't important with guarding or fighting anything.

We don't know what happened to that Gamora, much of it could still play out the same after the stone is sent back, even with Thanos gone Ronin still exists, even without working for Thanos he'd still be going after the stone because he always had his own agenda. Hell, in the new time line Ego might never find Quill. Thanos being gone is probably a net positive for that dimension.

The Ancient One is going to know Strange was right and probably reinforce the idea that he's the right one, there's no reason why the whole ordeal with Dormammu shouldn't play out the same. Loki probably didn't get far though that's probably setting up the Disney+ show.

Pym was already going to be paranoid about people coming after him and his particles so that just fits, I don't think the interaction with Howard is going to do much other than reinforce what he was already going to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these alternate time lines is resonsible for the rise of the MCU's mutants and eventual X-Men, it'd be something easy enough to tie into.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
This is a comic book movie after all. Certain deaths could be undone with clever writing and retcons if actors want to return even just for a cameo. There was the line from farmer Thanos that his stones were reduced to atoms which implies the energy source still exists or maybe they could be remade. They probably wrote that to keep things open in case they want to involve the infinity stones in the future like getting Gamora back. Nat is stuck dead in the alternate Vormir timeline so that would be harder to do but her story seems pretty much over anyway.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
So within 11 years Robert John Downey Jr. appeared as Iron Man as a main character in 9 movies (Cameos don't count):
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame
Captain America: Civil War
Spider-Man: Homecoming

My question is, is there another example of a character in a movie series that was played by the same actor for as much as 9 movies? If not, what is the closest example?

Some of the examples I have:
Daniel Radcliffe played Harry Potter in 8 movies.
Hugh Jackman played Wolverine in 7 movies.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The elevator scene callback is so smart, can't get that out of my head. Bringing back that scene to the 2012 timeline and then subverting it with an in-universe reference that also doubles as a comic nod... One of my favorite scenes in the movie

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a comic book movie after all. Certain deaths could be undone with clever writing and retcons if actors want to return even just for a cameo. There was the line from farmer Thanos that his stones were reduced to atoms which implies the energy source still exists or maybe they could be remade. They probably wrote that to keep things open in case they want to involve the infinity stones in the future like getting Gamora back. Nat is stuck dead in the alternate Vormir timeline so that would be harder to do but her story seems pretty much over anyway.
Complicated shenanigans to have Gamora back are not even needed now that her past self is there, they just need to convince her to join the Guardians again

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
So within 11 years Robert John Downey Jr. appeared as Iron Man as a main character in 9 movies:
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers

My question is, is there another example of a character in a movie series that was played by the same actor for as much as 9 movies? If not, what is the closest example?

The one answer I have in mind is Daniel Radcliffe playing Harry Potter in 8 movies.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The elevator scene callback is so smart, can't get that out of my head. Bringing back that scene to the 2012 timeline and then subverting it with an in-universe reference that also doubles as a comic nod... One of my favorite scenes in the movie

It was easily one of the best scenes in the movie for sure

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with finding a new leader is that Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel all probably want as little as possible to do with the Avengers, unless it's another universe ending threat

Eh, I can see Carol leading the Avengers if Nick asks her to. If the MCU is going cosmic, it's safe to assume the Avengers won't be stuck on Earth any more and will actually fight threats in space and on other worlds.

Which she's kinda doing already. The only difference for her will be that she can't spend decades away from Earth at a time and will have to stay close by in case of emergencies - but since she can fly faster than the speed of light and arrived back on Earth within minutes of the Snap being undone, that's probably not an issue.

I can see T'Challa helping out too. The whole point of Black Panther was that he rejected the Wakandan tradition of isolationism, so a big way for him to show that is to give SHIELD vibranium tech on the condition that Wakanda is closely involved in what they do with it. That puts him on the permanent Avengers roster quite easily.

So I guess the New Avengers will likely be... Carol, T'Challa, Pete, Wanda, Scott, Sam and Bucky.

Then you'll have folks like Strange, Thor, Valkyrie and the Guardians of the Galaxy that'll show up to help when shit gets real.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What if Thanos destroying the stones leads to the creation of mutants? Without the stones to contain them all those energies begin to flow into beings throughout the universe and mutate them...

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So within 11 years Robert John Downey Jr. appeared as Iron Man as a main character in 9 movies (Cameos don't count):
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers

Some of the examples I have:
Daniel Radcliffe played Harry Potter in 8 movies.
Hugh Jackman played Wolverine in 7 movies.

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
How to add the X-Men/mutants brainstorm board:

- Cap & Peg are just having sex constantly, make lots of babies together in the old days and eventually their genes mutate into Jubilee or whatever.

- Snapping out and in caused some people's DNA to go crazy giving rise to these muties. Ned is totally turning into an omega level mutant.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
They made clear that Carol is not going to be earthbound and is rather busy doing cosmic stuff elsewhere in the galaxy so she's not a good bet as Avengers leader on earth.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Was there a scene in the original Avengers where Tony Stark didn't allow Hulk to get into the elevator? I don't remember that.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else get the impression they are trying to make war machine and nebula a thing ? I kinda got that feeling from their dialogue on Morag about how both of them are broken.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I really like with this movie and the Russo Brothers is that, if all they wanted was to cash on the MCU and just make sequels ad vitam aeternam they would have never killed their two leading and most popular characters, even if it was the perfect occasion. Which is why I was very doubtful of any fan theory that involved Stark dying. I was like "nah they're never getting rid of their leader, it's hollywood, they'll play it safe and bring back everyone". But man they did not give a shit.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could potentially make sense that GOTG 3 deals with Bringing either Nat or main timeline Gamora back from the soul world given how Adam Warlock is set to be involved.

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people keep mentioning alternate timelines? There aren't any as explained in the movie the stones being put back erases any branch timelines. There is only one timeline.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone else wanted more of Dr.Strange? That characters just clicks with me and Cumberbatch nails the role. His powerset is OP and unique.

Also given Evans comments about Marvel having him whenever they want, safe to say they'll de-age him in a few years for Avengers 7 or something?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how doomed the 2012 timeline is.

No one is there to stop Peter Quill from being manipulated by his father once he finds him. (Unless he is killed prior to that). Ego's other children was only discovered by Gamora only after Nebula flew through the sky and broke though Ego's Planetary Body as the two fought. So Ego may have been successful in that timeline.

Other potentials:

2012 has Loki on the loose & The Ancient One having doubts about Strange. If she decides to ignore Strange's plead for Sanctum and to Learn magic, there is no one to stop Dormammu since her death is inevitable.

1970's has a Howard Stark whose pep talk from a "Howard Potts" may have changed his perspective and decisions. Pym has lost some of his particles and he may become paranoid if he notices.

The only timeline that wasn't fucked hard in someway was 2013 since Thor's interactions with his Mom wouldn't change the outcome of her decisions and upcoming death. Thor's hammer was returned, and the guards Rocket alerted weren't important with guarding or fighting anything.

Yeah, The only thing I can think of is that the time shenanigans created two timelines the one we witness where the snap happens and is subsequently undone, and one where the snap never happens because the snap-er jumped through time and got killed.

That no-snap universe is most likely fucked for sure...

It could make for some interesting stories going forward, maybe a "what if" film, that cover the timeline where certain characters never meet and certain scenarios never play out or where characters from the no-snap universe comes after our Universe for revenge.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I really like with this movie and the Russo Brothers is that, if all they wanted was to cash on the MCU and just make sequels ad vitam aeternam they would have never killed their two leading and most popular characters, even if it was the perfect occasion. Which is why I was very doubtful of any fan theory that involved Stark dying. I was like "nah they're never getting rid of their leader, it's hollywood, they'll play it safe and bring back everyone". But man they did not give a shit.

They introduced time travel and youth restoration. Tony Stark is dead and Captain America is old in a universe where that doesn't matter if they don't want it to.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Dug the elevator scene callback to Winter Soldier. Also, with Sam Wilson as the new Captain America, does he undergo the super-soldier enhancement? Or is he just gonna be a dude with a vibranium shield?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but how come Thanos is shocked that his snap doesn't work? He didn't get the arm tingle magic.

Considering 2014's Thanos never even held an Infinity Stone, he probably just didn't know it was supposed to tingle.

They introduced time travel and youth restoration. Tony Stark is dead and Captain America is old in a universe where that doesn't matter if they don't want it to.

i don't get what that has to do with my post

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Loved how Scarlet Witch utterly rinsed Thanos.
Nebula is awesome as are the rest of the Guardians. Thor just gets better and better.

Loved it overall though as often felt it was a bit too long, though no idea what could be cut.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen it twice yet to see if Cap was visable on the bench in a shot before they noticed him sitting there?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep mentioning alternate timelines? There aren't any as explained in the movie the stones being put back erases any branch timelines. There is only one timeline.
No. Putting the stones back prevents those timelines from being doomed. They are 100% alternate timelines, as is firmly established that time doesn't create closed loops.

Basically each time they jumped time, that's a new timeline, and they're altered, but being altered isn't inherently an issue, it's losing the stones that is an issue that causes them to be vulnerable to catastrophic events.

As long as the stones are put back the timeline will be different but not completely fucked.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still disappointed that Bruce didn't show up action wise in Endgame. It's bad enough that in IW, he was essentially a no-show, and now in Endgame, we barely see him fight at all. I honestly don't know if he can even fight properly in his current form.

Status
Not open for further replies.