• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So I was thinking how odd it was that Sharon Carter was set up to be Cap's love interest in The Winter Solder and Civil War and then she's completely forgotten about in Infinity War, but with how they set up Cap being married to Peggy Carter maybe they want to make us forget that Cap made out with someone who is sorta technically his niece.

Poor Sharon Carter.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Man if your Time Travel is being compared to Dragon Ball, you fucked up lol.
Except it isn't because even if time travel was somehow possi "Dragon Ball time travel" would be the only way Quantum mechanics would describe it i.e. parallel realities.

Basically there are only two ways time travel stories are done, first being done via grandfather paradox (one timeline, change past change the future i.e. BTTF, Hot Tub Time machine, pretty much most medias as the characters say in Endgame) or many worlds interpretation (Dragon Ball).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Last edited:

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Gamorra has been having doubts and dealing with humans since Gardians 1.
Here in this time-line she has no idea who they are, yet still decided to side with them the minute she met them.
She sides with them because of Nebula, her sister. Seeing the complete difference between her Nebula and post GotG 2 Nebula I'm sure has its impact.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is Dragon Ball Z time travel. Trunks goes to past, everyone survives (creating a new future timeline), and when he goes back everyone is still dead in his time line.

So the Avengers go back, they mess with stuff but it doesn't change their timeline.

There is potential for a few alternate timelines due to actual big changes.
-Thanos missing so Infinity War never happens
-Loki teleporting away so it changes the events going forward.
-Removing the Reality Stone goo early so things change in Thor2

But none of these will affect the main timeline because they are branches. Or until Avenger 20 where tings from those timelines jump over and mess with the main timeline.

The absolute biggest problem right now is that all of this makes sense except Old Man Cap. How does he come back without being on the teleporter pad

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
So I was thinking how odd it was that Sharon Carter was set up to be Cap's love interest in The Winter Solder and Civil War and then she's completely forgotten about in Infinity War, but with how they set up Cap being married to Peggy Carter maybe they want to make us forget that Cap made out with someone who is sorta technically his niece.

Poor Sharon Carter.

The timelines where Cap is married to Peggy, and where Cap kisses Sharon are separate. What you suggest could have never happened.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not searching through 200 pages, but I see folks are fighting over the Cap time travel thing, yet nobody seems to be mentioning that the evens with Loki have changed now right? Or is it simply there's another timeline now where Loki never died?

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
Solution to the Steve Rogers timeline theory.

MCU is an altered timeline.

The original MCU timeline Peggy never got married.... but we never see that because Cap goes back and marries her.... thus creating the MCU timeline where she's married. Thus why we never see her husband, she doesn't have pictures of him, only pictures of Steve.

Thank you.

Subscribe to my Patreon
I subscribe to this cannon.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
What happened in IW:

Nebula: They went to Vormir, he came back with the stone, she didn't

What some people think happened:

Nebula: They went to Vormir, he came back with the stone, she didn't
Starlord: But why?
Luis: Ok ok, So I went to Vormir with my cousin Ignacio right, and we found this guy right, and his face was red, like tomato red, but Ignacio said no, it is more like velvet red, and the tomato red guy is you are wrong, is blood red...
Nebula: Luis stop, tell them about the sacrifice
Luis: Yeha yeah, the sacrifice

And so on

I would have loved a Luis cameo in this movie. It would be completely sequence-breaking and make zero sense, but dammit, it would have been GREAT.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Gamorra has been having doubts and dealing with humans since Gardians 1.
Here in this time-line she has no idea who they are, yet still decided to side with them the minute she met them.
She hears that Thanos killed half the galaxy with the I-Stones in another timeline... if that isn't enough....

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
She sides with them because of Nebula, her sister. Seeing the complete difference between her Nebula and post GotG 2 Nebula I'm sure has its impact.

A Nebula that has been living with humans and is time traveling.
Nothing suspicious at all.
Let's blindly trust her, it's not like she's known to be conniving.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Can we talk for a minute about the whole Gamorra betraying everything she stands for, her family, her people, to join the 'good guys'?
Given that in 2014 around when GOTG1 begins Gamora was already actively planning to betray Thanos and would pull the trigger about 30 minutes after that Peter Quill intro scene what's your point?

A Nebula that has been living with humans and is time traveling.
Nothing suspicious at all.
Let's blindly trust her, it's not like she's known to be conniving.
Again, at that point in time Gamora was already actively planning to betray Thanos. She wasn't cool with all the butchery. Securing the Power Stone was her exit strategy, which leads to the plot of GOTG1 and her meeting the Guardians.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The timelines where Cap is married to Peggy, and where Cap kisses Sharon are separate.

Maybe I got this wrong, but I think the Ancient One's speech was meant to tell us that you only get separated timelines when you take a stone out of the continuum.

When Cap goes back to bring all the stones where they were gotten, he unifies the timelines again.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The absolute biggest problem right now is that all of this makes sense except Old Man Cap. How does he come back without being on the teleporter pad
Think about it this way:

Timeline A: MCU events happen offscreen. Steve travels back in time to marry Peggy in Timeline B.

Timeline B: The movies. We see all of these events and Steve travels back in time to marry Peggy in Timeline C. Old Steve is here.

Timeline C: Seen at the end of the movie.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I saw the movie today and I will give it a 7/10. That's a good movie. But I think the Russo's tried to do too much and it affected the movie overall quality. But it was very enjoyable thanks in part to a great ending.

The main movie problem is the pace which is terrible. The start of the movie is slow and boring. Then so many things happen in the middle, but there are too many of them ongoing at the same time. I won't be surprised there is like 1 hour extra content that will be available when the movie lands on Disney+. I feel like some parts in the middle of the movie were rushed.

I also don't like that some characters like Antman get so much exposure when others do not. But I guess it's expected with so many characters. Still I think they could have done a better job ( as in Civil War or Infinity War ). There is also the new style and personalities of Thor and Hulk. Not a fan personally.

The great thing was the ending much better than I expected. I understand and I agree with the parallels with the Return of the King.

I still feel that "Captain America : the Winter Soldier" remains the best Marvel movie to this day.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
why was Carol standing alone at the funeral :(
Cause she's like the only there who didn't really have a connection with anyone. Her only connection to Tony is her saving him but besides that she doesn't really try to be friends with anyone. But you gotta have everyone there for that last shot so having her in the back with Fury is what makes the most sense.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Glad Wong was able to stay safe after all those years, lol. Super fun movie.

Did Scott Rudd play old Ant-Man?

How did they make Thor look so fat? Did Hemmesworth actually gain a ton of weight? Is it CG? Prosthetics?
I think they had a different actor according to the credits.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I got this wrong, but I think the Ancient One's speech was meant to tell us that you only get separated timelines when you take a stone out of the continuum.

When Cap goes back to bring all the stones where they were gotten, he unifies the timelines again.

Yes, but he marries Peggy in the timeline he decides to stay in. And not the one where he kisses Sharon.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, did Cap factually kill Sharon by marrying Peggy?

No, because the likely intention is that Cap always married Peggy. She just couldn't/didn't tell younger present cap because older cap explicitly explained it to her what had happened (he would have to explain why he's older and not dead under the ocean, for a start) and that telling younger cap would screw up the timeline

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

Poor Sharon Carter.
If there is one major failing of the the MCU is that Cap really needed another stand alone movie inbetween Civil War and Infinity War. His relationships with Sam,Bucky and Sharon seemed really rushed/under developed towards the end

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like others and I are choosing to believe is that we had an alternate timeline the whole time. Old Cap was in the MCU the whole time living his life with Peggy.
Think about it this way:

Timeline A: MCU events happen offscreen. Steve travels back in time to marry Peggy in Timeline B.

Timeline B: The movies. We see all of these events and Steve travels back in time to marry Peggy in Timeline C. Old Steve is here.

Timeline C: Seen at the end of the movie.

Holy shit

it makes sense

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

He just walks on the spot on the day he knows Tony's funeral will be held.

I don't think we're meant to assume he time traveled. He just goes there in 2024 (when he's like, 85 or so? He's about 20-25 when he gets defrosted, about 30-35 during Engame, he goes back to 1970, 54 years to 2024) by... walking. He's the same Cap who's been living with Peggy since the 70s.

IcyInferno

Oct 26, 2017
It is Dragon Ball Z time travel. Trunks goes to past, everyone survives (creating a new future timeline), and when he goes back everyone is still dead in his time line.

So the Avengers go back, they mess with stuff but it doesn't change their timeline.

There is potential for a few alternate timelines due to actual big changes.
-Thanos missing so Infinity War never happens
-Loki teleporting away so it changes the events going forward.
-Removing the Reality Stone goo early so things change in Thor2

But none of these will affect the main timeline because they are branches. Or until Avenger 20 where tings from those timelines jump over and mess with the main timeline.

Maybe doctor strange 2 could deal with some of these and especially if sling rings can be used to travel to parallel universes.

Mordo: "Temporal manipulations can create branches in time. Unstable dimensional openings. Spatial paradoxes! Time loops! You wanna get stuck reliving the same moment over and over forever or never having existed at all?"

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This wouldn't work with Loki peacing out with the Tesseract though.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because the likeliest intention is that Cap always married Peggy. She just couldn't tell younger present cap because older cap explicitly explained it to her what had happened (he would have to explain why he's older and not dead under the ocean, for a start)
THIS.

I don't understand how people can't get it. He literally hides from Sam who he married, never teleports back to Banner's machine (meaning he lived in the MCU timeline to be there) and when we see Peggy's office in the 70's the only picture in her desk is from Steve. That's what is being implied, nothing in the past "changed".

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, because the likely intention is that Cap always married Peggy. She just couldn't/didn't tell younger present cap because older cap explicitly explained it to her what had happened (he would have to explain why he's older and not dead under the ocean, for a start) and that telling younger cap would screw up the timeline

Wouldn't then Peggy know she's kissing her uncle?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
THIS.

I don't understand how people can't get it. He literally hides from Sam who he married, never teleports back to Banner's machine (meaning he lived in the MCU timeline to be there) and when we see Peggy's office in the 70's the only picture in her desk is from Steve. That's what is being implied, nothing in the past "changed".
Yep

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
This has probably been brought up a hundred times but does anyone think the earthquake under water has anything to do with Namor?

Surprised there was no mention of the Nova Corps either.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The implication is that the MCU timeline always had a 2nd Steve as Peggy's husband, so he basically changes nothing.

No way- Sharon would know who Peggy's husband is which makes TWS and CW super icky. The only way it works is that he married Peggy in an alternate timeline then came back to the main timeline to hand off the shield to Sam.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot where I heard or read it (perhaps Joanna Robinson's review?) but I recall someone saying that Rhodey and Carol might have a thing going on, or at least this film potentially plants the seeds for that down the line. I had my rewatch this morning and I did see Carol give him a long look and say "take care" or something like that during the pb&j sandwich scene. Is this something that happens in the comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.