• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confused at the whole Thor not wanting to lead thing. I thought thats what he was working towards in the last movies and now its just nopeee

Nah. Look at Ragnarok - he literally tells Hela he'd love for someone else to take the throne, but he can't let it be her because she's just the worst. He trusts Valkyrie with Asgard so he doesn't need to be its king, which suits him just fine.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I said earlier and people jumped on me for it. I thought the test of the soul Stone was to sacrifice someone you love, so why were Nat and Clint outdoing each other to jump off the cliff? Did they just not know how it worked?
As was mentioned on the last page. Red Skull says "you must lose that which you love". He never mentions sacrificing or killing somebody. You just have to lose the one you love. So if Nat had killed herself, Clint would have lost the one he loves.

But then thinking about Gamora. She attempted to kill herself before Thanos turned her knife to bubbles. Her suicide would have awarded Thanos the soul stone if we follow this logic. Unless the one which you love have to be thrown off the cliff, which Red Skull never explicitly says.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
A lot of people seem to be misreading the Soul Stone thing. The Soul Stone requires sacrificing what you love and what Widow is giving up is her love - the rest of her life with her family.

Both the Avengers and Clint's family are the only family she's ever known. She gives up her own life because of how much she loves them. She was also paying a debt she owed Clint for saving her life pre-Avengers.

Clint would have been giving up his life for his actual family, a similar sacrifice. He thought himself irredeemable for what he had become.

The Soul Stone bit contains no further thinking required.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
The MCU films never acknowledged the existence of Agents of Shield. I watched five seasons of the show. Nothing from the series ever made its way to the movies.
They're connected but they can't be influencing the Movies (the TV show is a spin-off after all), that does not mean they're not cannon...they have to have stories in which we can't expect people from other movies/shows to jump in and save the day...for eg, where was everyone when Hydra was causing trouble in Winter Soldier?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So we know the Avengers movie were the main movies in the mcu what's going to be the next big movie?
They said something about trying other things but it not necessarily meaning Avengers is done. I think we won't get a big teamup movie in Phase 4 and would instead get one in Phase 5. That's like 6-7 years of waiting now.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He never really wanted to lead but had to because he was doing what he was "suppose to".
There's even a line in Ragnarok where he tells Hella that "And believe me, I'd love for someone else to rule. But it can't be you, you're just the worst"
Yar, on its own Thor: Ragnarok feels triumphant and optimistic, but in light of both Infinity War and Endgame it turns out to be a super cruel movie...

Oct 28, 2017
But then thinking about Gamora. She attempted to kill herself before Thanos turned her knife to bubbles. Her suicide would have awarded Thanos the soul stone if we follow this logic. Unless the one which you love have to be thrown off the cliff, which Red Skull never explicitly says.

No, that would have worked. You are just retconning the logic for this new scene to make sense. It doesn't.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it. Retiring at what, 35? If Tony had insisted he was retired and wanted to live with Pepper and not bothered to help in this he'd be called selfish. Cap retires in this at his peak while others give their life? Sucks.

Well Tony literally had an opportunity brought right to his doorstep to help save trillions.

People could say Cap is being selfish too if they want, but it'd be a real dick move for any of the Avengers to actually say that to him considering all he's done. The soldier has to rest sometime. He wanted his dance.

Or did he go to Wakanda

No?

This is what I said earlier and people jumped on me for it. I thought the test of the soul Stone was to sacrifice someone you love, so why were Nat and Clint outdoing each other to jump off the cliff? Did they just not know how it worked?

Lose what you love, and you get the stone. That's it.

I think the people are overcomplicating this is because they're conflating with how these kind of things go in other movies. Like you can just picture in your head "Sacrifice what you love most, and you get your reward." in some other movie. But the actual dialogue didn't actually say any of that, so...

Draxx

Nov 17, 2017
I have seen this twice now. Fantastic both times. I had chills with Cap picking up mjolnir and when the portals opened.

Also read a couple of people mentioning how dark the final battle was, almost looked like a DC movie!. But i figured it kinda made sense as Thanos had just bombarded the area.. gonna be alot of dust/ dirt etc kicked up into the air.. or atleast that's how I rationalized it.

imax

Oct 28, 2017
Thanos literally attacks like 3 minutes later. What time did they have?

Yeah but they spent all that time in the final fight trying to get to the van with the quantum tunnel. If they have the ability to travel independently (as we see Cap and Tony do in 2012 to get to 1970), why didn't they just do that instead of fighting their way to the van?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Confused at the whole Thor not wanting to lead thing. I thought thats what he was working towards in the last movies and now its just nopeee

The way I see it.. he did lead, he led New Asgard for five years, and he was terrible at it. He stayed at home, played games, got drunk while Valk was out there helping the people. She said so herself "He comes around once a week for Beer." Thor was a terrible king, but he's a great warrior, and he figures this out by the end of the film.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What? That is a terrible test then since it doesn't require any action on the part of the person being awarded the Stone. I think you're wrong

"Soul holds a special place among the Infinity Stones. You might say, it is a certain wisdom."
"Tell me what it needs."
"To ensure that whoever possesses it understands its power, the stone demands a sacrifice."
"Of what?"
"In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. A soul for a soul."

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the more I read these posts, the less I even want to wrap my head around all this timey whimey bullshit. They could have absolutely done this movie in a way that didn't raise so many questions.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people seem to be misreading the Soul Stone thing. The Soul Stone requires sacrificing what you love and what Widow is giving up is her love - the rest of her life with her family.

Both the Avengers and Clint's family are the only family she's ever known. She gives up her own life because of how much she loves them. She was also paying a debt she owed Clint for saving her life pre-Avengers.

Clint would have been giving up his life for his actual family, a similar sacrifice. He thought himself irredeemable for what he had become.

The Soul Stone bit contains no further thinking required.
I think it's a pretty valid interpretation, but I just feel that "you must lose that which you love. A soul for a soul" suggests a straightforward "you lose a soul you love and get a soul (stone) in return".

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Original 2023 Rogers from main timeline returns to 1970 alternate timeline to marry Peggy.
  • 1970 alternate timeline now has 2 Rogers (one still frozen and one from main timeline)
  • Original 2023 Rogers marry Peggy.
  • 1970 Rogers wake up from ice sleep years later. What if both Rogers meet in that alternate timeline?
  • Which Rogers is the old Rogers that was on the bench?

Our Rogers. They are one in the same, the timelines merged. Basically once rogers left 2023 to go back to 1945 the timelines merged into one timeline. So just one cap.

Our cap goes back to 1945 had a life with peggy, knowing that he can't change anything. Gives up being Captain America, takes the last name carter more than likely get's a new identity since peggy is still with shield.

Lives out his life with her until 2014 when she dies. Hangs around for a couple years until 2023 and shows up on the bench. T he moment young cap goes into QR the timelines become one, and there's just one cap now who's like 100 years old or so.

The timeline of Peggy carter series is not being referenced only Jarvis played by same actor from the show as a easter egg for fans of the show. SHe says she married someone but wouldn't tell us in Winter Soldier, I believe seeing steve when she had alzheimer's was painful because she had lived her life with steve knowing she can't tell young steve or it would be undone.

So basically they foreshadowed this a long time ago. Never gave the name of her husband, hence why cap told SAM no, when he asked. Was afraid it would be undone, timeline wise and didn't want to take the chance in screwing up the timeline and erasing that lifetime he has with her.

How do you even work mutants into this universe?

Just introduce mutant genes. Imagine during the Wanda/vision series that's happening if she is in wakanda where they are rebuilding vision and they use her powers to make a similar stone that's not the infinity stone for vision and run tests on wanda finding out she's got some kind of weird chromosome. Hence why the hydra experiments worked on her and her brother.

Come to find out the power of the stone and hydra's experimenting unlocked what was already there. Watch her father not be dead. Remember they said they were killed from Starks missles. Imagine if her father being magneto controlled the missiles, and made it look like he died to protect her from hydra and others finding out about mutants.

Imagine if Pietro is alive, imagine magneto finds his body, takes him somewhere removes the bullets and finds a way to heal his body.

That would be cool.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Or did he go to Wakanda

I guess there's the implication he made a trip to Wakanda to learn about Vibranium. I don't know if his final suit was made of Vibranium, but it worked the same way as T'Challa's Black Panther suit.

IW does take place two years after Civil War and Black Panther, so I imagine he got caught up on the tech.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
What? That is a terrible test then since it doesn't require any action on the part of the person being awarded the Stone. I think you're wrong

They aren't wrong. The person getting the stone in both cases is losing something they love a lot. Natasha is a close aunt to Clint's family and they have been partners for over a decade. After his family gets wiped away, she's all that he has left. She also is the only one who believed in him enough to go get him in Japan.

They would both be making a large sacrifice if the other died, but would also both be making a large sacrifice by killing themselves. Because it goes both ways, it meets both criteria no matter what happens.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just that it was unearned in context.
How does that make it the worst scene in the film?

Why should you have to earn a shot of all the female characters? Why should the shot be treated any differently than a mixed gender hero shot or an all male one?

I thought the point of all this was to normalize women in heroic roles, so that their big moments were not taken as some kind of statement.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You're still losing someone you love, regardless of whether you're the one who throws them over the cliff or not. The pain and the loss is the point, not the act of murder.

Friends. Arguably the two greatest superhero films ever made, are about multiverse time traveling.

I had this thought too. This movie is completely crazy and it's equally crazy how mainstream moviegoers are totally bought into it.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a pretty valid interpretation, but I just feel that "you must lose that which you love. A soul for a soul" suggests a straightforward "you lose a soul you love and get a soul (stone) in return".
I feel like this is a good point. With the whole "a soul for a soul."

I mean, Nat did succeed in killing herself. Clint didn't let go, she pushed herself off the edge.
This makes less sense then. Cause with her sacrificing her family, why would Clint be the one to get the soul stone? Other than him being that family and him having lost one he loves. Then it makes sense.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original 2023 Rogers from main timeline returns to 1970 alternate timeline to marry Peggy.
  • 1970 alternate timeline now has 2 Rogers (one still frozen and one from main timeline)
  • Original 2023 Rogers marry Peggy.
  • 1970 Rogers wake up from ice sleep years later. What if both Rogers meet in that alternate timeline?
  • Which Rogers is the old Rogers that was on the bench?

Yeah, for about 53 years there are two Steve Rogers. The one frozen in 1945 that woke up in 2012 and the one who went back in time in 2023 to (presumably) 1970 so he could live out his life with Peggy.

The past can't be changed. Rogers still has to fall into the ice in '45, wake up in 2012, lead the Avengers, all that stuff. The Steve Rogers who has already been through all of that can't change or interfere with any of it otherwise the timeline, his future, will change and there's no way of knowing how.

So he kept out of everything, kept his existence a secret the entire time, didn't even go to Peggy's funeral since he had already been, and on the day he knows he would go back in time to be with Peggy, he sits on the nearby bench and waits for Bucky and Falcon.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

The great thing about using Natasha and Clint for this scene is that it works in both contexts. They love each other and they love their families and would do anything for them.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I hate it. Retiring at what, 35? If Tony had insisted he was retired and wanted to live with Pepper and not bothered to help in this he'd be called selfish. Cap retires in this at his peak while others give their life? Sucks.

Like Spidey says, when bad things happen and you can do something about it but you don't, it happens because of you. So everything Cap could help with in the future he's turning his back on, and sitting around while he knows thing's like Bucky killing Howard.

Great movie but that ending I hate.
I've always been Team Tony. The way Bucky said bye you just knew he was never coming back or something else. Just felt kind of selfish to me but it all made sense. Cap spent his life making sacrifices. There's no wars, Hydra and Thanos is gone so he did what Tony always said and take care of himself for once.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Our Rogers. They are one in the same, the timelines merged. Basically once rogers left 2023 to go back to 1945 the timelines merged into one timeline. So just one cap.

Our cap goes back to 1945 had a life with peggy, knowing that he can't change anything. Gives up being Captain America, takes the last name carter more than likely get's a new identity since peggy is still with shield.

Lives out his life with her until 2014 when she dies. Hangs around for a couple years until 2023 and shows up on the bench. T he moment young cap goes into QR the timelines become one, and there's just one cap now who's like 100 years old or so.

The timeline of Peggy carter series is not being referenced only Jarvis played by same actor from the show as a easter egg for fans of the show. SHe says she married someone but wouldn't tell us in Winter Soldier, I believe seeing steve when she had alzheimer's was painful because she had lived her life with steve knowing she can't tell young steve or it would be undone.

So basically they foreshadowed this a long time ago. Never gave the name of her husband, hence why cap told SAM no, when he asked. Was afraid it would be undone, timeline wise and didn't want to take the chance in screwing up the timeline and erasing that lifetime he has with her.

Thanks for the explanation. But why did the Avengers see their old selves (i.e. 2 of each hero) when they respectively traveled into different timelines to heist the stones?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno where y'all keep getting the "what you love most" part from

Says it right there.

Also, since when does only a person have a soul? It's a metaphysical concept. Even if only people have souls, sacrificing your soul is what the Stone demands. Thus, theoretically all that matters is you cast down what is part of your soul, not another person.

"In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. A soul for a soul."

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but they spent all that time in the final fight trying to get to the van with the quantum tunnel. If they have the ability to travel independently (as we see Cap and Tony do in 2012 to get to 1970), why didn't they just do that instead of fighting their way to the van?

They don't have anymore Pym Particles, and the Platform was destroyed by Thanos. The Van was the only working time travel / quantum device at that moment.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you even work mutants into this universe?

I dunno, but whatever it takes.

Cap's arc was super satisfying. Tony's death didn't move me much, but Cap getting a happy ending sure did.

As soon as I realized they were going back in time, I thought he'd dance with her there. It didn't happen, and then I just kinda forgot about it, cuz Tony's sacrifice overshadowed everything. So glad they gave a great ending to Cap's arc as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.