• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
This dude is saying that Cap going back and not returning and just living his life messes with the timeline and can open up a can of worms (I'm adlibbing). Basically he was just supposed to put the stones back and get back so the timeline wouldn't be messed with. By staying behind he may have messed with things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFA_aFui9Wo

Unless he skyways lived in the past and has always been part of our main timeline

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the third act again.

The appearance of all the revived Avengers in that scene is fucking GOAT.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope people don't get so fucking fixated by the mechanics of the time travel so they can yell PLOT HOLE like a fucking shithead.

Just enjoy the ride.
I hate this attitude. Why bother explaining anything then?

The time travel as explained in the movie makes no goddamn sense. I'm hoping the Russos explain it definitively in an interview or commentary track or something. Or in another movie, I dunno. Something. Right now it looks like a mess.

I want to believe that there's an explanation that we just haven't heard yet.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty disappointed. I hate time travel stuff in movies so I guess this just wasn't for me. I also thought the action was really lacking compared to the great fight scenes in Infinity War. Thanos seemed like far less of a threat. Giant war scene is always my least favorite action set piece for the Avengers films and it was pretty much all this one had.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, I have to say thanks to this forum one thing greatly amused me, was that while all the MCU films got nods and returns and whatnot in the film, several MCU entries got a special highlight thanks to the time travel, which were Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, GOTG 1, with Doctor Strange and Ant-Man to an extent, and...

...Thor: The Dark World.

Picture of memorable and complex bad guy Malekith and everything.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
This movie fucking ruled. People will probably nitpick it to death but damn, it was something special

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
A couple q's
Why did Cap say "Hail Hydra" in the elevator?
Who was the guy talking to Tony's daughter about cheeseburgers?
Why did the Avengers notice Nat was gone immediately but not Nebula?

Steve knew those agents are HYDRA from Winter Soldier, they were only going to give it to Cap without a fight when Cap could convince him he was on their team. That's why he mentioned Redford's character.

Happy Hogan, Tony's bodyguard. Been in the MCU since Iron Man.

Nat is more known to them than Nebula, is likely.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple q's
First two: was this your first MCU movie? lol

As for Nebula, she was there. "Past" Nebula as an imposter. That was... kind of an important part of the story.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This dude is saying that Cap going back and not returning and just living his life messes with the timeline and can open up a can of worms (I'm adlibbing). Basically he was just supposed to put the stones back and get back so the timeline wouldn't be messed with. By staying behind he may have messed with things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFA_aFui9Wo

Well its already messed up by just letting loki have the tesseract in one timeline. Cant really do much about it

The Fury scene? I assume the Nick Fury scene from the trailer was deliberately fake and it'll be different in the movie. You want to hype him being in it, and I doubt he's in it for more than a couple of scenes, but you can't show the scene where he's like "Hey remember me we met at Mr Stark's Funeral".

I also assume that Starks death will really hang over him in this, or they're lying and this IS before IW. Which they could be.

Not just fury, but everything about it. The fact that this movie was really hammering home how destroyed and distorted the world had to become in 5 years to pick up the pieces, then all of a sudden at the end Peter is suddenly back in school like nothing happend and in homecoming everyone exists and literally no one is any older or different in the cast? Not buying it

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
A couple q's
Because he knew that guy (whose name escapes me) was part of Hydra. He said it to convince the guy to give him the briefcase.
That was Happy. He's been in the Iron Man movies, as well as Spider-Man homecoming. The actor also directed the first two Iron Man movies.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this attitude. Why bother explaining anything then?

The time travel as explained in the movie makes no goddamn sense. I'm hoping the Russos explain it definitely in an interview or commentary track or something. Or in another movie, I dunno. Something. Right now it looks like a mess.

I want to believe that there's an explanation that we just haven't heard yet.
It makes perfect sense to me. It's probably the only blockbuster movie with time travel I've seen where I feel everything is logically sound.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
They have to be going to alternate timelines--they explicitly say you can't change your own past, and one of the timelines they travel to has a Thanos that jumps into our present and gets murdered. That Thanos never gathers the stones, never sacrifices his Gamora, never does the snap, etc, but all those things still happened to our guys. There's a Gamora running around in the MCU at the end that came from where Nebula jumped back to, which has to be another timeline, and our Gamora is still dead.

They're going back in time to their own timeline and when they change something another timeline branches out from that, but they're always travelling through quantum realm back to their timeline. Thanos travelling in the future technically doesn't change the timeline where he comes from but the timeline of the present from that moment on I would say.

Because the logic was that what happened happened. No matter when it's always in the past and something new branches out a new timeline.

But travelling between different timelines at the same point in time? I don't know.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
A couple q's

He said Hail Hydra to gain the trust of those SHIELD agents, who were all revealed to be Hydra agents in Winter Soldier. He beats the shit out of them in an elevator in that movie. Happy Hogan, Tony's old driver and friend, was talking to Tony's daughter. Evil Nebula was there.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
A couple q's

Hail Hydra is a comics nod to hydra cap, and he knew that was hydra taking the stone, so that was to trick them i to thinking he was one of them.

That was Happy talking to Morgan about cheeseburgers, he was in all 3 iron man films and spiderman, he is Tony's friend/bodyguard.

Nebula from 2014 took good nebulas place and came to the present so only Nat was missing, they had no way to know that was her as she had all her memories and the yellow head part.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
avengers 5 line up?

captian marvel
black panther
Dr strange
ant man
wasp
scarlet witch
and falcon?

they fight an ultron tier villian

hopefully by Avengers 6 mutants will be well established and we can add beast as a member

I would imagine Spider-Man as well assuming Sony doesn't decide to end their deal with Marvel after Far From Home.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what if.. and stay with me here, what if the rat is the same rat from the end of the departed

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No she wasn't. Both Nebulas were still in Thanos ship
Yes, she was. That's why she peeled the yellow plate off future Nebula and put it on her own face. To pass as future Nebula when she came back.

That's how Thanos was able to come to the future. She used the time machine to create a portal for him. Even said "They suspected nothing" once he arrived.

Huge part of the plot. lol

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A couple q's

I'm not trying to be rude when I ask this but have you not seen Winter Soldier or literally any of the Iron Man movies?

... Because Nebula was there. It was the past Nebula but she was right there.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but that's just like the start of the barrage. He OBLITERATES Avengers HQ, even going for a double tap extra big explosion at the end just to be sure he got everybody.
Yeah it was incredibly violent, to the point for a moment I thought nearly all the "present" team were getting wiped out and there was going to be something or other with time travel reversing it, but nope, they survived. I can buy Iron Man, War Machine, Hulk and Thor, and Cap but Rocket and co should have been vaporized by the excess of that bombardment.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yea but how did he travel through? He didn't have a quantum device .. were the pym particles all he needed?
I guess the logic behind it is that they can inspect Nebula's memory for clues on how to travel through time. Then, all they need is the pym particles.

Also, remember that, in that timeline, they have as long as they want to come back to the 'snapped' timeline.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Need me more Carol and Peter scenes. Just from that little exchange they had a fun chemistry (like big sister vibes)

I wonder if there will be someone to take Tony's place to look out for Pete since he's still really young.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"It's time for me to stop being who I'm supposed to be and be who I am" feels like Marvel fully admitting they were using Hemsworth wrong until Ragnarok.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, she was. That's why she peeled the yellow plate off future Nebula and put it on her own face.

That's how Thanos was able to come to the future. She used the time machine to create a portal for him. Even said "They suspected nothing" once he arrived.

Huge part of the plot. lol
Was she in the reunion scene? Idr seeing her

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that they used an epic spanning 11 years and using Thanos solely to set up Dr. Doom's Secret Wars—a character they didn't even have the rights to. KFeige da gawd. 😈

I'm just saying early on people were skeptical about whether 6 heroes in one movie would even work ahead of avengers and now we're talking about the multiverse, time travel and different timeline branches, you get crazy crossover pairings like steve meeting groot, we've had characters get tonal shake ups like thor in ragnarok, talk of power scaling with characters like hulk, thanos, thor and captain marvel. we've come a long way.

Oct 25, 2017
They're going back in time to their own timeline and when they change something another timeline branches out from that, but they're always travelling through quantum realm back to their timeline. Thanos travelling in the future technically doesn't change the timeline where he comes from but the timeline of the present from that moment on I would say.

Because the logic was that what happened happened. No matter when it's always in the past a something new branches out a new timeline.

But travelling between different timelines at the same point in time? I don't know.

I edited this back in, but for the entire plan at the end to work they have to be able to jump back to other timelines--them taking the stones is the branch point, and even though they're immediately returning the stones, that requires Steve jumping back to points post-branch in the timeline. And since they all jumped backwards from our 'main' timeline at the same time, they had to create three new timelines since when they jumped back they were jumping back to timelines where the earlier thefts hadn't happened (Thanos comes from a timeline where the 2012 and 70s thefts hadn't happened, and the 2012 theft happens in a timeline where the 70s theft hadn't.) So you have to, at a minimum, be able to target the not-your-own timelines you've created to get back to put the stones back.

Status
Not open for further replies.