• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I could be mis remembering, but didn't she say that a new timeline is only branched if an infity stone is taken/moved? As they are the flow of time?

There's a difference.

A timeline can be "changed" in 2 ways.

1. A stone is removed from the timeline - This creates a branch
2. Some events change - Timeline is changed but one timeline still exists (Loki taking the Space Stone and escaping) But they only change in relation that they're different to the main timeline. For that timeline these events are just how it happened.

"Time Travel" as the movie calls it isn't exactly time travel. It's more so shifting to alternate realities. When they went to the Battle of New York, that was another whole reality where those events were just happening.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Meh... It was an ending... Idk... I just dont know. But it's like Thanos snapped his fingers and half my memories of the movie just vanished.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What contrived reason are they going to have in future now that everything can be solved with time travel and any major universal threat could be wiped out by the exact same plot?

"Tony encrypted the secret and threw it in a lake? There was never any record of where the stones were so we can't go back and do it again? We signed the Infinity accords so ehhhh?"

As far as MacGuffins go, time travel is pretty much the endgame hur hur.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Q: why didn't they use the time stone to save Tony?
A: The snap killed Tony, so they would have needed to undo the Thanos army killing snap to save him and we'd be back to square one. Remember, there was only one future where the avengers won.
To be fair, Doctor Strange is seen manipulating individual objects and people in his solo movie. He pulls out people from the time-stream in the third act in Hong Kong one by one. He rewinds the state of the eaten apple in the library. Following that logic, he should be able to manipulate the state of Tony Stark without affecting anything else.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thought they really nailed the final battle and the aftermath. Quite the slog though. That dude from yesterday who bought tickets for 4 days in a row is in for an exhausting weekend.

It was a good movie, but it felt like every bit of those 3 hours. I might see it again, before it leaves theater, but I might take a nap somewhere in the middle.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Also I hope Dr.Strange gets a more prominent role now, hell he can take Tony's role. Love Cumberbatch in the role and the character itself.

Did my man dirty by having him hold some fucking water. Ffs.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Seemed messed up that they gave Tony a funeral but not Natasha.

giphy.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That depends how one sees it. There's currently 2 theories going around:

a) infinity stones are returned at the points where they took them off the main timeline, and the branching timelines are closed, thus never happens.
b) stones are returned, to save the future of those alternate timelines.

I'm pretty sure the movie (Ancient One) explains that bringing back the stones closes off those alternate timelines though. So they tried not being spotted to create as few branching timelines as possible.

Theory 1 doesn't work because the movie says that not how it works.

Theory 2 is literally how the movie says it works.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I felt... annoyed at the ending. We were told the stones left Thanos half dead and yet of all the people its Tony who has to use it? A sickly, old man?

Thor probably survives, Drax probably survives, hell in the comics Nebula DOES use it, Gamora is there, Captain Marvel is there, even fucking spiderman probably survives and yet the lone non-human does it. Hell it would have felt more heroic for Cap to do it and Tony end up going to return the stones since he was the one who wanted the "future present" to not change at all.

Also since when did Cap turn so selfish? He fucked the timeline with his old man act. Hell no more Sharon Carter and no one to help him in Civil War for instance.

I did love the moment when he said "hail hydra" though lol.

Thanos took out their route into the getting the infinity stones out of the battlefield right then and there, dude. It became a desperate struggle just to STOP him from using the stones and closing his fists. In that singular moment there was only one person who was close enough and had the means to get to Thanos, and that was Iron Man.

Also Cap earned a break multiple times over. He made big sacrifice plays throughout his career and had put in his time. He deserved to be happy outside of the battlefield. Also how is Sharon Carter's existence related to this?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I assume so because that's how he would've aged. Stayed with her all those years up to 2024.

Well then...

Correct me if this is wrong:

1. 2024 Cap goes back to 1950.
2. At that time, OG Capsicle is frozen and stays frozen the entire time 2024 Cap is there living out his dream life with Peggy Carter. There are TWO Steve Rogers at this point; a frozen one and the one that time-traveled from 2024. Both would have been close enough in age that nobody would probably tell the difference, assuming he did pull off a switcheroo.
3. 2024 Cap leaves 1950's Peggy 70 years later to return to 2024 and sits on a bench, wrinkled and gray and frail, with a shield, which since it's 2024 when he left the branched timeline as well, he could have gotten from either Howard Stark, Tony Stark or Wakanda or maybe even just made a new one himself for giggles. He had 70 years, afterall, to do a lot of stuff.

--Makes you wonder - what was the fate of OG Capsicle? Was he ever found and rescued? 2024 Cap seems to have been there beyond the point that OG Capsicle was rescued in the current timeline. Does he prevent Capsicle from being found and just leaves him for dead the whole time while he lives out the life that he would have lived had he not been frozen??

There are of course a million other questions relating to Steve Rogers and the whole Marvel universe now, in that branched timeline. Like, do the Avengers even exist there? Did Steve Rogers continue to be Captain America Superhero when he was there all those years schmoozing peggy Carter? Does he fight Thanos AGAIN in that branch?

There is so much stuff to think about. But I'm mostly wondering what happens with OG Capsicle in the branched timeline.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Ironheart could be Stark's daughter, although she is still young, give her some years. Also there is the kid from IM3.
Ehhh... taking a black character and making her white really wouldn't go over very well. If they do anything with Tony's daughter it'd probably be a completely new character and not Ironheart.

Oct 25, 2017
Man this movie has been on my mind all day. Can someone explain why Dr.Strange didn't save Tony? He has all the stones right there and only really needs the timestone to fix him up, like how he was able to do to that apple in his solo movie. Set his body back 5 minutes.

Since both Thanos and Hulk survived using the gauntlet, the damage is from the blast it seems which obviously was too much for Tony. But that seems like something Dr.Strange should be able to fix in an instant.

DAMNIT Pachimari

RDJ is getting old, Evans wants out to move on with his career.

Sure, they could have found a way to keep these characters alive, but that was not the point - the point was giving them an awesome farewell, a finality.

Mission accomplished.

What contrived reason are they going to have in future now that everything can be solved with time travel and any major universal threat could be wiped out by the exact same plot?

"Tony encrypted the secret and threw it in a lake? There was never any record of where the stones were so we can't go back and do it again? We signed the Infinity accords so ehhhh?"

nit-picking plot points of a series of films about fantastical bullshit scenarios full of fantastical impossible people and things must be a fun pastime. ;p

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
hey say that Cap needs to return them from the moment they were taken. But, when they were taken created their own paradoxes. Captain fought himself for the Mind Stone and had to use it to knock himself unconscious. Did Cap then reappear after and just place the Sceptor next to an unconscious Cap who would then have memories of fighting his other self and losing? Did he inject the Aether back into Jane after Rocket was spotted running away with it and chased off by palace guards?

Honestly, picturing all this, I want a show or even just a one shot that's the adventures of Steve Rogers returning all the stones.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

I expect some bad shit will happen because they fucked with time and that will be the deterrent in doing it again.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I felt... annoyed at the ending. We were told the stones left Thanos half dead and yet of all the people its Tony who has to use it? A sickly, old man?

Thor probably survives, Drax probably survives, hell in the comics Nebula DOES use it, Gamora is there, Captain Marvel is there, even fucking spiderman probably survives and yet the lone non-human does it. Hell it would have felt more heroic for Cap to do it and Tony end up going to return the stones since he was the one who wanted the "future present" to not change at all.

Also since when did Cap turn so selfish? He fucked the timeline with his old man act. Hell no more Sharon Carter and no one to help him in Civil War for instance.

I think the only other two people who may have survived it were Captain Marvel and Thor, but they likely would have been fucked up. As Hulk explains, he only survived because the radiation is similar to the kind he's made from.

And it's poetic it's Tony who does it. He started the whole MCU, and he's ending it. Sure he has everything to lose, but that's self sacrifice for you. Ultimately it's his technology and his gauntlet. Tony being the one to use it was fitting.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that was great. Out of all the time travel sequences, our audience loved Cap's the most.

I'd say it was Cap > Tony/Scott > Clint/Nat > Rhodes/Nebula > Thor/Rocket > Hulk
Yeah I felt the same way, if anyone felt Cap got sidelined in Infinity War he shined quite bright here in Endgame. Those moments he had at the end, the shot of him vs Thanos' army, the 'assemble' line. Steve led so much of this movie and I loved it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Lang knew this but since he's Scott lang he couldn't be the type of person to effectively communicate this.

Scott Lang didn't know, I don't think. He was operating on a 'You could become your own grandfather' theory of time travel, but Bruce was explaining that time would splinter when changes were made.

Bruce's theory explains returning the Infinity Stones and Mjolnir but I'm not sure how it explains Old Steve. Returning to the present time seems to require going through a doorway, so did he approach the Avengers in that alternate time and ask them to send him, as an old man, to the point he left?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hank Pym is the biggest jerk in the universe. He won't trust anyone with Pym particles, so no one else will have access to the quantum realm.

Also, Ant-Man 3 may deal a bit with it as it seems like quantum realm stuff will be a focus in it as they teased the microverse in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

None of them were close enough and Tony built the Gauntlet those he was able to swipe the Stones off of Thanos.

The realistic explanation is the obvious fact that the MCU started with RDJ/Stark and this Phase needed to end with him.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The hydra moment was kind of ruined for me in my screening, because I was distracted by a couple who entered the theater, sat down for a few minutes, looked confused, then walked out. Imagine getting that moment of the movie spoiled for you because you were too dumb to enter the correct screening room.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They just added 3.8 billion people back to the population over night... I think there might be some problems with resources... I don't think they thought this one all the way through.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Imagine Cap on Vormir, Red Skull telling him he has to throw the stone down into the pit to return to the it, it has to be straight after it was taken so Natasha's body would still be there. Grim.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'm gonna assume the machine was destroyed alongside the Avengers facility.

MikeRahl

Oct 27, 2017
RDJ is getting old, Evans wants out to move on with his career.

Sure, they could have found a way to keep these characters alive, but that was not the point - the point was giving them an awesome farewell, a finality.

Mission accomplished.

They introduced Stark's daughter in this movie. He had a conversation with his father about how his father was apprehensive about the greater good always beating out his personal happiness. It would been a good send-off to have him retire somewhere to live out his days maybe as a mentor. Thor managed to become completely disassociated with all super-hero related events for 5 years I'm sure Tony could pull it off as well.

As soon as the Morgan was introduced I knew it was going to end poorly though.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
- why give the shield to falcon instead of bucky? Bucky is way more buff for action scenes than falcon

- is Loki still alive since he too the Tesserac ? Since there is a disney show with him

- i like good and comprehensive time travel story. I didn't expect endgame to not have plothole so my expectation was pretty low in term of logistic so im still happy with what we got

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

Two reasons:

Manipulating the past can cause dangerous side effects. Just because this film didn't cover all of the possible branches of how other realities were altered based off of what Avengers did does not mean other realities won't spin into chaos from major event changes caused by Endgame (like Loki escaping).

Other reason: Villains such as Kang exist, which can easily be brought into the universe now that they have the rights back. Time manipulation wouldn't do much to him.

As Mordo said (when talking about messing with time): "The cheque always comes due".

I.e. messing with time is going to create a greater villain and greater problems and it comes with a steep cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.