• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
You're right, my bad. At the same time, I remember the late 90s. Marvel did what they had to do to survive, and that meant selling their most prized franchises. I'm just glad they have them all back again. But it hurts. Avengers means very little to me compared to the iconic level the X-Men reached in the 90s. Avengers were small potatoes compared to X-Men universe, F4 and Spider-man. Imagine if Marvel can fully return their most iconic brands to the glory they deserve. WHEW.

I await with bated breath.
I'm really interested to see how Sony and Marvel handle the Spider-Man deal after Far From Home. I really hope Sony is willing to play ball and keep Holland around the MCU. It was be a damn shame to rip him out of that universe.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I thought Cap not returning on the platform was him living throughout time knowing to sit on that bench the day they sent him
He just walks there. He's aged, he doesn't return via the quantum realm.

Don't get me wrong, time travel is convoluted in every movie it is used in, regarding alternate universes and whatnot, but it seems clear that Cap does not return via the quantum realm.

But that's not possible, because the moment he stays with Peggy, he creates an alternate timeline. He has to travel through the Quantum Realm, it's the only way to get back to the main timeline.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Just got back:
giphy.gif

I got nothing to say. The movie was absolute insanity by the time we reached the 3rd act. Felt like watching Return of the King all over again.

I know there wasn't any post credits but I read there was a sound? What was it? (I had to unload to the bathroom, almost went on act 2 but then act 3 happened XD)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
We're told pretty explicitly that returning the Stones mends the timeline back into one. There's even an on-screen visual representation of that.
Yes, this is what has continued to bother me about multiverse theories. Like, they went through not only exposition with TAO and Banner, but supplemented it with visuals to try to explain the shit to the audience. It was pretty clear to me at the time was OME TIMELINE. But clearly others got branching timelines out of it so IDK what to believe. I'll just form a conclusion for myself after seeing it again in Saturday and not broach the subject again unless a writer or director comments directly on the subject. Which I think is likely to happen. No way we're alone in trying to figure this out.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Spoiler: Avenger 4

Doctor Strange used Infinty Gauntlet to create a portal.
Bucky: "Let's go, Steve"
Captain America: "I guess this is good bye."
Avengers: "Good Luck" "We'll miss you Cap" *SOB uncontrollably*

Captain America and Bucky walked into the portal.
Faded to black. "1946 New York City"

Young Carter heard a knock on her door. Opened the door to see Steve with a flower bouquet.

"Hi, You owe me a date."

Fin.
Nailed it. Fucking nailed it

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested to see how Sony and Marvel handle the Spider-Man deal after Far From Home. I really hope Sony is willing to play ball and keep Holland around the MCU. It was be a damn shame to rip him out of that universe.

I don't think they'd be positioning him as front and center as they are if they felt like things were shaky on that front.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I like that they left no doubt that thanos is a motherfucker even when he doesn't have the stones.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Don't get me wrong, time travel is convoluted in every movie it is used in, regarding alternate universes and whatnot, but it seems clear that Cap does not return via the quantum realm.
I'm pretty convinced he did return through The quantum realm from his own splintered off time line. That's how he brings back a shiny new shield.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people misunderstood what the Ancient One was talking about.

She didn't want to give up her time stone because it would damn her timeline, due to taking something that powerful out of the universe. She outright says that by giving Banner the stone it would doom her's but benefit the "prime" timeline.

Banner suggests they would bring it back to them and correct that.

She refuses to give it to him until she says that Strange gave up his Time Stone. Which told her that he clearly planned for this and put her faith in him that he understood that they would survive to bring it back.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
But that's not possible, because the moment he stays with Peggy, he creates an alternate timeline. He has to travel through the Quantum Realm, it's the only way to get back to the main timeline.
In other news, using time travel as a critical plot delivery mechanism sucks. This conversation will go on until a director clarifies in an interview or Tweet. It's that confusing.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Can't remember too clearly, but does Steve go on the stone replacing trip with a re-built shield, or is the one he just hands over to Sam yet another big ol' timeline altering time-crime?

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like that they left no doubt that thanos is a motherfucker even when he doesn't have the stones.

Thanos chilling without his sword or helmet, casually chatting to Thor, Cap and Iron Man as they surround him before proceeding to kick all of their asses (America's ass aint shit) cemented how big of an absolute beast he is.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is what has continued to bother me about multiverse theories. Like, they went through not only exposition with TAO and Banner, but supplemented it with visuals to try to explain the shit to the audience. It was pretty clear to me at the time was OME TIMELINE. But clearly others got branching timelines out of it so IDK what to believe. I'll just form a conclusion for myself after seeing it again in Saturday and not broach the subject again unless a writer or director comments directly on the subject. Which I think is likely to happen. No way we're alone in trying to figure this out.
Considering the movie explicitly breaks that rule at the end when old Cap shows up, it's not like it's that cut and dry.

You have to assume that Cap somehow hopped back into the original MCU timeline at some point well before that scene, which raises other questions, but whatever.

Don't forget that there were other slight changes due to the time travel:

-The mind stone, space stone, and reality stone are in the form of stones now and not the Scepter, Tesseract, and Aether. This could have some sort of affect on those alternate timelines.

-Loki in one timeline escaped with the Tesseract, which means he wouldn't be in the cell to help Thor in Thor 2 and to take over Asgard in the beginning of ragnarok.

-Technically one timeline has no captain America shield, but captain America could have also just had another one made.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
Will Endgame nab a Best Picture nod? Black Panther broke the glass ceiling for comic book movies but you can argue that the nod was based on the cultural impact the film had.

I see no way Endgame shouldn't be considered a top 5-10 movie of 2019 by year's end.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017

Unless the main timeline is the one that accounts for capt to go back in time to be Peggy.

Which means, capt made out with his daughter. TAKE THAT GAME OF THRONES!!!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That and you know SAM WILSON CAPTAIN AMERICA X BUCKY AVENTURES

Also I told y'all about Renner and his range and hot guyness

It's all gonna be so good.

I know it was reported that the WandaVision series is six hours (presumably six episodes). I wonder if all the Disney+ series will be that length or if they'll vary.

Oct 27, 2017

The problem is how he ends up in the normal timeline without the quantum realm. The only explanation would be that Captain traveled to the 1945 or whatever, got old and then returned into the normal timeline to explain and say goodbye.

The movie is highly consistent with the time travel: it is an alternative universe which runs a different course, so the only way to affect the normal timeline is to bring something back from the different timeline.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Btw did anyone else think they outright kill Antman when he was like "Guys I think we did the thing!!" followed by him being blasted by a missile?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is what has continued to bother me about multiverse theories. Like, they went through not only exposition with TAO and Banner, but supplemented it with visuals to try to explain the shit to the audience. It was pretty clear to me at the time was ONE TIMELINE. But clearly others got branching timelines out of it so IDK what to believe. I'll just form a conclusion for myself after seeing it again in Saturday and not broach the subject again unless a writer or director comments directly on the subject. Which I think is likely to happen. No way we're alone in trying to figure this out.

I thought Banner explicitly stated there were multiple timelines. Ant-Man brings up time travel movies and Banner says something to the effect of 'Future you would be past you, and the future for past you would be future you, and that can't work'.

The issue with removing the Time Stones was that it would doom that timeline, and the Ancient One approaches it as if to say 'You'll be fine, but we'll be screwed'.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People trying to make "timeline stuff is overcomplicated!!" into a meme... zzzz.

For 10 years people watch all kind of impossible comicbook-y stuff, but time travel, something that doesn't even exist and is explained in the movie, is where they draw the line? lol Just assume everything made sense somewhat, it's time travel, whatever.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people misunderstood what the Ancient One was talking about.

She didn't want to give up her time stone because it would damn her timeline. She outright says that by giving Banner the stone it would doom her's but benefit the "prime" timeline.

Banner suggests they would bring it back to them and correct that.

She refuses to give it to him until she says that Strange gave up his Time Stone. Which told her that he clearly planned for this and put her faith in him that he understood that they would survive.

Yes, that's what happened.
So Banner (Cap as it turns out) returning the stone would stop her timeline being doomed, she literally shows this on the graphic as the "branch" disappearing and returning to the main timeline.

So how does this fit in with all the other branches and stones returning etc....? Is this explained in that info-graph and I should actually look at it properly?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will Endgame nab a Best Picture nod? Black Panther broke the glass ceiling for comic book movies but you can argue that the nod was based on the cultural impact the film had.

I see no way Endgame shouldn't be considered a top 5-10 movie of 2019 by year's end.
Depends on what else releases this year but probably not. BP was in part throwing a bone, and also the rest of the selection was uh.. not top notch.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It should. Endgame isn't just a brilliant blockbuster, its a massive achievement in long form story telling that really delivered on the potential of something that would have previously been considered impossible by many. It deserves to be celebrated.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So right now I figure we have 2 possible explanations, these are the ones people cling to the most it seems:

a) Steve Rogers travelled back in time to be with Peggy Carter, creating an alternate timeline, living out his 70 years, before returning to the main timeline.
b) Steve Rogers travelling back in time to be with Peggy Carter, but living out his life in the main timeline until meeting up with the rest in 2023. Thus explaining Peggy's office of no family photos and only having a photo of Steve. And him turning out to be the husband she was always married to.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
What happened to Captain marvel after getting hit with that thanos blast, you don't see her for the rest of the film?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Btw did anyone else think they outright kill Antman when he was like "Guys I think we did the thing!!" followed by him being blasted by a missile?
Fucking absolutely. I thought he was dead for sure and they would've had to turn back time at that point. But nope. Didn't mean shit.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The other cap was frozen

So, Cap goes back to Peggy when OG Cap was still frozen? And sorta just lives out a big chunk of his life there with her? Does he tell her anything about what was happening in their future? Or that another Steve Rogers was frozen somewhere? And what happens with Capsicle?? Do the Avengers still find him and rescure him in that Timeline? IS there an Avengers in that timeline?

Cap visits Peggy in Winter Solider when she's older and bedridden, but still alive. So, she would technically still be alive in the OG timeline, at that point, with the two Captains and she'd be around when Tony finds the frozen one, right? Unless she dies or something before Capsicle is found?

Or would Steve prevent the OG Captain America from being found in the other timeline and just leave to return to the present after Peggy presumably dies?

Trying to understand how Peggy Carter handles the existence of two Steve Rogers, unless she's never told about two of them in the spin-off timeline she spends with current-day Cap.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's what happened.
So Banner (Cap as it turns out) returning the stone would stop her timeline being doomed, she literally shows this on the graphic as the "branch" disappearing and returning to the main timeline.

So how does this fit in with all the other branches and stones returning etc....? Is this explained in that info-graph and I should actually look at it properly?

Well that timeline is still changed because Loki has run off with the Space Stone. They got back the Time and Mind Stones but the Space one is MIA.

But it's not "doomed" because the Space Stone is still within that timeline.

The only timeline's that likely wouldn't see much change is the 1970's one (outside maybe how Howard treated Tony), and the 2014 timeline.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's all gonna be so good.

I know it was reported that the WandaVision series is six hours (presumably six episodes). I wonder if all the Disney+ series will be that length or if they'll vary.

It's the perfect length

Fuck just give me more lol

I don't want to wait 11 years for the next MCU Crossover Event Tradepaperback with all the ties in to wrap up.

I want like 5 year mega arcs now. with maybe 11 years doing some mega mega arc that ties in th first 11 with the next 5 and the 6 after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.