• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I really loved is how earthly Thor talks. Calling Frigga mom instead of mother for example.

The whole scene between him and Frigga was great.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Ok I'm a dc fans and haven't been too hot about marvel movies but this was incredible .
Probably the best marvel movie yet . You cannot top this. It's all downhill from here
We're just getting to the real power heroes, fam. Adam Warlock, Marvel, Dr. Strange, Spider-man, Fantastic 4, BP, Dr. Doom...and we're finally about to get some *high-quality* X-Men universe stuff with WETA digital doing the vfx?

We haven't even gotten to the Marvel entree yet.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cap returned the hammer when he was returning the stones though, he had it with him. He was suppose to basically bring them all back right at the point they were taken, so that Thor was probably confused for about 5-10 minutes. The only thing that doesn't necessarily work is Old Cap still being in the same timeline, unless he used whatever pym particles he had left with his suit and somehow got back.

Cap stole 4 vials of Pym Particles when all he needed was two. Even assuming he needed to use one of his stolen pym particles to go back in time and not just ask the Pym Family for more he still had an extra vial to come back when he wanted to.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
my brain is fried whats the nod? wanda and rhodey are two of my favorites lol
In the comics, Carol and Rhodey are often in a relationship, and they gave a very subtle nod to that during the... hologram meeting scene? Not sure what to call it, but the scene where Nat is talking to everyone via holograms and Carol says something to Rhodey that infers there's some type of relationship going on there.

Vision stepping out of the portal with Okoye, T'Challa and Shuri would have been perfect. I wish we got that
Wouldn't have made sense unfortunately, since only the people who had been dusted were brought back. Though I'm not sure what was stopping Bruce from bringing back... you know, everyone who had died in these movies?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the movie. It isn't perfect, has some questionable bits, but over-all an incredibly satisfying climax & send-off to the MCU.

I know the MCU will continue but this feels like a perfect ending.

And speaking of future MCU, I think this movie convinced me that either Brie Larson was miscast, the character Captain Marvel sucks or some combo of both.

Captain Marvel was one of the biggest things that just didn't work at all for me in this movie. She had no chemistry with the other characters and ultimately exists solely as a Deus Ex Machina. Very dissapointing and not at all interested in her future in this franchise. She completely lacks depth once removed from her origin story. Her "win button" powers are so boring and I was really hoping the Russo's would get more from her character than the duo that directed her solo film. Her whole squinty-eyed sarcastic vocal fry affectation lacks charisma.

And no, let's not turn this into something it isn't. Every other female character in the film is more compelling. Even Valkyrie, who has even more of a bit role.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so wait, I have some questions.

Is the allusion that cap marrys peggy? Is sharon his grand daughter then? How would she not know?

Also again, the shield feels like a paradox, because everything had to return to where it was. So he cant take his unbroken shield from the past because then it would have been missing for him during the events of the MCU movies.

Someone help me out here.
The reason everything had to be returned wasn't for their future selves, it was because those dimensions/timelines need their stones to stay in them for whatever reason like The Ancient One said. Easiest way to think about it is this, every time they time traveled they created another timeline or dimension that was different from ours from that point on. Once they were done with the stones Cap jumped back into the timelines they had already created and returned their stones, as well as Thor's hammer, a few seconds after they had initially taken them. This doesn't mean it erased the timeline and put it back on track with ours, just that they weren't in any danger due to not having their stones. So Loki taking the cube is only something that happens in that specific dimension/timeline, not the main MCU one or any of the others that were made. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense but that's how I understood it.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just got back, so many issue with the whole story. I did not hate it. It was enjoyable but going by my initial reaction, it was no where near as good as Infinity War.
Either time travel stuff is completely flawed or I just didn't get it. and the one thing that bugged me the most was how powerful Thanos was without the stone.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there is one major plot hole to talk about is that how the fuck 2014 Thanos went to present day alongside his full army, given that Past Nebula only had one Pym Particle.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, once Cap returned the stones, the timeline was brought back to normal. The only loose end is, indeed, Loki and the space stone, so that leaves that particular timeline in an odd place. I'm betting that's what the Loki TV show us going to be about.

But yeah, they explicitly make a point that time travel isn't like BTTF. The moment past Nebula makes the choices she makes, she becomes a different person. We get a new timeline alongside the old one, solely because of the future Avengers appearing. So that's why Nebula could kill her past self.

Once Cap restored the power stone to Morag, events proceeded to unfurl back as they originally planned.
The timeline where 2014 Thanos died still remains meaning that the snap never happened in that timeline.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, once Cap returned the stones, the timeline was brought back to normal. The only loose end is, indeed, Loki and the space stone, so that leaves that particular timeline in an odd place. I'm betting that's what the Loki TV show us going to be about.

But yeah, they explicitly make a point that time travel isn't like BTTF. The moment past Nebula makes the choices she makes, she becomes a different person. We get a new timeline alongside the old one, solely because of the future Avengers appearing. So that's why Nebula could kill her past self.

Once Cap restored the power stone to Morag, events proceeded to unfurl back as they originally planned.

There has to be alternate timelines. Loki with the space Stone and the timeline where Thanos and Nebula disappear from 2014

Oct 25, 2017
China
Well, if you want to let it go, that's fine, but I think it makes as much sense as this could.

Everything we've seen in all of these movies is happening with the presence of an old Steve Rogers in the background, having a simple white-picket life. So he wouldn't exactly need to fear stepping on any butterflies. All he needs to do is not do something that would directly alter his own past experiences to avoid branching the timeline.

Which explains why he HAS to stay out of it, but also, he can live with that because he knows it works out.
WHAT IF old Steve is hiding in the backgrounds of the previous Marvel movies already??

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Thor took his hammer from the past as well. This movie makes no sense if you think about it. Like all time travel movies.
Did you miss the scenes between Hulk and The Ancient One? He explains to her that they're going to bring the stones back mere moments from when they took them. Cap also took Mjolnir back too.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
based on many people who I have interacted with

seems like the consensus is moving more towards Infinity War> Endgame

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Cap had the best two scenes in the movie.
"Hail Hydra" had me shook.
And the hammer thing was a long time coming.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait for Thor + GotG teamup movies.

Gonna be good times. I also love that Nebula is now a full time member.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

I think, the only timeline not "screwed up" is the one Thor and Rocket went to. A relatively safe journey, in and out with the stone.

The other 2 trips ended up Loki disappearing with the Space stone, while the other no longer has Thanos/His Army/Gamora/Nebula in it's existence, as they died/got left in the future (different reality). The latter reality is probably the best potential reality, but it isn't the same one as "the real one".

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
The ending battle is like fan service on fan service on fan service. I can't imagine a spectacle like that ever being topped.

Also enjoyed all the GotG love. It's such a fun universe.

"Yes, yes, fight with knives!"

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Cap literally goes back and creates a new timeline by living out a life with Peggy.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
You know what's funny about that "Back to the Future is bullshit" line? The movie actually uses the exact same time travel principle as Back to the Future 2.

The only difference being that they can actually return to the original timeline, while in BttF 2 Marty got stuck in the timeline post-alteration.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
If there is one major plot hole to talk about is that how the fuck 2014 Thanos went to present day alongside his full army, given that Past Nebula only had one Pym Particle.

time is different between timelines...

a few minutes may have happened between the avengers that came back from the time travel and hulk's snap but that 'few minutes' might be months in 2014 thanos timeline for him to replicate or reverse engineer the pym particles.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back, so many issue with the whole story. I did not hate it. It was enjoyable but going by my initial reaction, it was no where near as good as Infinity War.
Either time travel stuff is completely flawed or I just didn't get it. and the one thing that bugged me the most was how powerful Thanos was without the stone.

I mean he bodied hulk at the start of IW without using the single stone he had at that point.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
The reason everything had to be returned wasn't for their future selves, it was because those dimensions/timelines need their stones to stay in them for whatever reason like The Ancient One said. Easiest way to think about it is this, every time they time traveled they created another timeline or dimension that was different from ours from that point on. Once they were done with the stones Cap jumped back into the timelines they had already created and returned their stones, as well as Thor's hammer, a few seconds after they had initially taken them. This doesn't mean it erased the timeline and put it back on track with ours, just that they weren't in any danger due to not having their stones. So Loki taking the cube is only something that happens in that specific dimension/timeline, not the main MCU one or any of the others that were made. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense but that's how I understood it.
This explanation works until Old Cap is considered. If time travel created separate timelines then he should not grow old in a timeline where Thanos snapped.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
There has to be alternate timelines. Loki with the space Stone and the timeline where Thanos and Nebula disappear from 2014
The Loki one remained, yes. The one where Thanos traveled to the future should be gone, because Cap reset the Power Stone. But you could argue it's still out there, since the timeline had already branched before they got their hands on the stone.

It's never made 100% clear. At this point, we can hope the Russo's clear some of it up in a Q&A, or just accept the premise of Cap's mission worked.

Oct 26, 2017
He lived through it all I think, the super soldier serum is supposed to extend your natural life span too.

Cap could easily reach 150.

But shouldn't he be in a different timeline/reality? Some of them surely ended up mostly the same as the main timeline, but the 2014 one and the 2012 avengers realities got changed, and based on the rules of the movie, he would be in a new timeline. Unless I suppose, he came back to see them off?

It'll probably get cleared up within the next week or two, but honestly it's the only small issue I actually had with their time travel logic.

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
I know.

Its perfect.

I am glad I got to experience this.
This only rams home the importance for me of seeing these films early at the cinema. 99% of the people in attendance are as invested in the world as you are, the jokes hit big time, the references get lapped up, and you're among people rooting for the same things as you.

Go and watch Endgame in two weeks, you get a cinema full of people there because its something to do, and you ain't gonna get the response that Cap lifting Mjolnir drew this week.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, you only bring Adam Warlock in for one reason and it is shenanigans

We're getting some soul shenanigans in GOTG3
It seems like the most clear-cut direction forward for any franchise in the MCU is with GotG3, Thor, Adam Warlock and a mission to save Gamora. And maybe Widow!

That's by far the most tantalising prospect any of these franchises can offer right now, IMO.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just came back from the movie, will post more here later. I haven't gone through the thread but I'm sure most things that I have to talk about have already been said. But one moment I really liked was when T'Challa called Clint by his real name, considering their exchange in Civil War.

God I love this movie.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017

The ancient one suggests the changes made create new timeline which would be off track if the stones were taken.

So if steve goes back then old man steve can't be in their timeline if he created a new one. The whole point of returning the stones and the hammer is so that nothing changed, meaning no new timeline, these were events that always happened.

Therefor if steve held onto his shield then it wouldn't be available to use in endgame.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Captain Marvel was one of the biggest things that just didn't work at all for me in this movie. She had no chemistry with the other characters and ultimately exists solely as a Deus Ex Machina. Very dissapointing and not at all interested in her future in this franchise. She completely lacks depth once removed from her origin story. Her "win button" powers are so boring and I was really hoping the Russo's would get more from her character than the duo that directed her solo film. Her whole squinty-eyed sarcastic vocal fry affectation lacks charisma.

And no, let's not turn this into something it isn't. Every other female character in the film is more compelling. Even Valkyrie, who has even more of a bit role.

I loved Captain Marvel in this. Character design, larson's performance, screen presence. It was all awesome to me. She has to be used sparingly since she is so op- they did it exactly right.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Can I say I loved Wanda going ham on Thanos? That's how I pictured Scarlet Witch to be. Really damn strong and a heavy hitter all on her own.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a better cinematic payoff is possible, I'm incapable of imagining it right now.

This has been the ride of a lifetime.
If we measure the film in payoffs alone it was one of the most satisfying experiences of my life.

It's a flawed movie, like all MCU movies, and you could easily pull it apart, but god damn is it an amazing experience.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out. Not sure how I feel about the film. I know I liked Infinity War a lot more. All I wanted to do after IW was watch it again and again. I'm not sure I'll watch this again in the theaters.

I don't even disagree with most of the decisions in the film, ie Cap, Tony, etc. Fine decisions that did right by the characters. I just felt the execution was off throughout the film.

None of the time travel stuff made sense. In Ant-Man films, Janet is lost in the Quantum Realm for like 12+ years yet ages at the same rate as Hank. In this film, Scott is in the Quantum Realm for 5 hours and 5 years passes in the main reality. Steve goes back and lives decades of life while only 5 seconds passes in the main reality. None of it is consistent. And somehow Thanos brings in an entire army of thousands through the Quantum Tunnel? With one vial of Pym Particles? What?

Not excited about Sam as the new Captain America. I don't feel he brings much to the table and honestly not sure how it's going to work. He's just a normal guy. No enhancements, mutations, etc. And he's going to be on a team with people like Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange?

Not thrilled that Thor is now getting the Hulk treatment of being a comical side character.

The pacing was off throughout the first 2/3 of the film, and some scenes were just unnecessary (ie, losing the Space Stone and having to go back to 1970).
Going back to 1970 set up Cap's ending.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
The reception Spider-Man continues to get at any of these movies whenever he shows up still amazes me

I still stand by the idea that if Toby McGuire had a cameo it'd be the loudest reaction to any moment out of any of these movies. People would literally explode.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
This explanation works until Old Cap is considered. If time travel created separate timelines then he should not grow old in a timeline where Thanos snapped.
Wasn't quite sure how far back he went to be with Peggy. I believe there were older cars in the street in front of their house, older than 1970, which was the furthest back anyone of them went. He had to make a special trip further back for that.

Now, he could have gotten snapped for those 5 years, but I have to assume the stone would leave him like it did Young Cap (reading them as "the same person"), if Cap actually did grow old and stayed in the "main" reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.