• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't, because he saw the course.

Strange did not know they would succeed. He just knew that the only possible way they could succeed was if he saved Tony.

It was always a shot in the dark as to whether they would succeed or not. Strange giving the time stone to Thanos did not guarantee the Avengers would win, but rather gave the Avengers a chance.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this movie but man I'm not sure I like this new 5 years in the future post-snap future. Wouldn't the world just be totally fucked up? Like how the hell does far from home take place immediately after this when the world is in shambles? So confusing...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
What's difficult to understand about that?

With characters having appeared for nearly a dozen films, not just three movies, over the course of a decade and actors like Downey totally owning the roles the emotional investment is really unique.
Perhaps you're young, so that's cool if so. I can't imagine this being the first movie you have ever seen to illicit a meaningful emotional response in life in anyone older than like 25. Like, that has to be a small, small subset of people. It's just not a heavy movie like that. But yea if you're young I understand. If you're not young, idk. Carry on, and def consider expanding the scope of your movie watching. This movie was definitely not on the pantheon of emotional, tear-jerking films.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily, the key players really are Reed and Doom. But the incursion idea is high cinematic sci-fiction that is perfectly suited for MCU. That's a discussion to be tabled for a much later time though.

True, can swift a few characters here and there.

Makes me so excited that they will finally get their hands on Reed and Doom :)

Dec 22, 2017
In my screening nobody cheered when fortnite showed up, but went absolutely insane when cap got the hammer, like the loudest I've ever heard a movie theater crowd, even more so than when Thor came in with Stormbreaker for the first time in IW.

Some guy behind me went "WHAT!?" soon as the hammer moved, and everyone laughed and then cheered.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of ALL the characters the 2 that did the most against Thanos in a 1v1 was SW ripping him up so much he calls for a scorched earth "kill everything, IDGAF ABOUT MY TROOPS!" move to make her stop and CM just shitting on him and his giant ass ship, forcing him to use the Power Stone by hand (the stone that can blow up the surface of a moon) just to punch her far enough away to try to snap.

Loved the A Force moment!
I loved also just that moment or two where Cap was TAKING it to Thanos with the hammer goddamn

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Just got back from my showing. Pretty great. I have some issues with the pacing and thought IW was better. but I really had fun with it. Great emotional moments.

Question about the crowds you guys saw it with! Did your theater cheer when Thanos gets his head chopped off in the beginning? My theater exploded and it was such a weird feeling. It was like I was watching a completely different movie from the rest of the audience. It is clearly not a triumphant moment, and is the absolute rock bottom of Thor as a character. It's hollow, meaningless vengeance. It's clear the moment is supposed to be uncomfortable and not satisfying, yet it was met with roars and applause.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Skipped work today in order to see this as early as possible cause I knew if I didn't I'd get hit with spoilers. I think it was a great achievement because of everything leading up to it, but I do have some mixed feelings about it. From the get-go the whole time travel idea felt so OP to me, it's like the ultimate deus ex machina. As the movie progressed I think they were able to get me on board with the way the handled it though. I expected a more emotional/dark movie though and in some parts, it was that, but the tonal shift with stuff like fat Thor and full-time Hulk was a bit jarring for me. Didn't really care for old Cap either, wish they'd implied it in a more subtle elegant way than having this uncanny cgi/makeup version of cap giving that speech.

Everything else was pretty great, and there were some really hype moments. I had a great and invested crowd. Literally holding their breath in the sad/tense moments and roaring in the most amazing moments. Cap wielding the hammer, and the whole "assemble" thing were some of the best standout moments.

All in all Infinity War hit me way harder. That utter silence in the final sequence and just seeing the villain win like that in such a high stake blockbuster movie was so unexpected, I couldn't believe they had the balls to do that and do it so well.

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
UK here. Never been in a cinema where people have cheered but there were about three or four occasions where the roof came off in our screening, never known anything like it. Even applause as the end credits rolled. So many incredible moments, and still maintaining the series' incredible humour in spite of the stakes.

But yeah. I'd always marked cheering in a cinema to be some cheesey American thing, but last night it felt incredible to be a part of.

Seeing if again tonight as well!

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The action in the third act alone shits all over Infinity War's action in my opinion, and Infinity War's action was a high bar. Admittedly, there isn't as MUCH action as Infinity War but it's a different movie and set out to achieve something different.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this movie so fucking much it made me retroactively like movies in the MCU I didn't even like before

I just want to watch them all again

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
His fights with Wanda and Cap Marvel pretty much answered the questions I've had about him for years. Is he nothing more than a more powerful and intelligent Hulk? And yeah, he pretty much is. He had no answer for Wanda's powers and even seemed out matched by Captain Marvel in brute strength alone.

He was a great villain but I do hope the next villain is more god like and pretty much requires a miracle to defeat him/her.
Well, by the time Danvers got into the 1-on-1, Thanos has lost most of his armor (knocked off by a bunch of people, mostly Wanda), thrown away his double sword, AND is distracted with trying to put the gauntlet on. I'd still say if it was 1-on-1 like the Hulk in IW, it'd be a spectacular battle, but one that I'm not sure who would win.

But Wanda, yeah, if she can crush him to the point that the armor's being torn off him, from a safe distance AND not being fired on by a gigantic space ship, she probably would have killed him.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from my showing. Pretty great. I have some issues with the pacing and thought IW was better. but I really had fun with it. Great emotional moments.

Question about the crowds you guys saw it with! Did your theater cheer when Thanos gets his head chopped off in the beginning? My theater exploded and it was such a weird feeling. It was like I was watching a completely different movie from the rest of the audience. It is clearly not a triumphant moment, and is the absolute rock bottom of Thor as a character. It's hollow, meaningless vengeance. It's clear the moment is supposed to be uncomfortable and not satisfying, yet it was met with roars and applause.

Not at all, I would've been super weirded out by that. There was a lot of muttering in mine, people were pretty stunned they opened like that.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

My theatre audience, myself included, gasped in disbelief, like they kill him in the first 15 minutes wtf

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Everyone kinda gasped or was silent.

During Nat's death you could've heard a pin drop.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I actually wish my theater clapped and cheered. Though maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

Though I so wish I hadn't gotten. One of those overpriced movie theater drinks. I bought one but barely even drank any of it since I didn't want to risk having to use the bathroom during the run of the film. Money down the drain.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Not at all, I would've been super weirded out by that. There was a lot of muttering in mine, people were pretty stunned they opened like that.
Everyone kinda gasped or was silent.

During Nat's death you could've heard a pin drop.
My theatre audience, myself included, gasped in disbelief, like they kill him in the first 15 minutes wtf

This is WILD! Portland Oregon has some bloodthirsty fuckers...

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
the shield feels like a paradox, because everything had to return to where it was. So he cant take his unbroken shield from the past because then it would have been missing for him during the events of the MCU movies.

Someone help me out here.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, a lot of Stucky fans are furious that Steve and Bucky didn't end making out with each other...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Well, by the time Danvers got into the 1-on-1, Thanos has lost most of his armor (knocked off by a bunch of people, mostly Wanda), thrown away his double sword, AND is distracted with trying to put the gauntlet on. I'd still say if it was 1-on-1 like the Hulk in IW, it'd be a spectacular battle, but one that I'm not sure who would win.

But Wanda, yeah, if she can crush him to the point that the armor's being torn off him, from a safe distance AND not being fired on by a gigantic space ship, she probably would have killed him.
yep. and I def wish we could have gotten another 30-40 seconds or so of fighting between Marvel and Thanos. That would have been enough for me.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They totally lubed up and fucked the timeline.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved it. I'm pretty cool with time travel stuff so no worries there.

Two issues for me.

1. Hulk. They continuously waste this character. How is it possible to have two Avenger movies back to back and not have Hulk go nuts.

2. Really dislike Anthony Mackie/Falcon and have no interest as him as Cap.

Otherwise it was perfect.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
During the Cap vs Thanos fight some guys behind me gave no fucks and were screaming "holy shit!", "fuck yes", "what the fuck!" It was both annoying and kind of more awesome than the movie.

Which was also awesome.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanda/Vision is totally not actually the title of the show, right? Unless that's a prequel too.
WandaVision, and it is since Feige announced it and had concept art.
Is the allusion that cap marrys peggy? Is sharon his grand daughter then? How would she not know?
Sharon's Peggy's niece. We don't know how close the two were, but it is implausible she wouldn't know who her aunt's husband is.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie went by super fast for me, I actually think it was perfectly paced.

That is hard to achieve for 3 hour+ movies, I loved the original LoTR trilogy, but I clearly remember the 3rd one feeling too long when I watched it in the theater.

Apr 8, 2018

I believe people in my theater cheered during that scene too. Definitely felt a bit odd lol.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so wait, I have some questions.

Is the allusion that cap marrys peggy? Is sharon his grand daughter then? How would she not know?

Also again, the shield feels like a paradox, because everything had to return to where it was. So he cant take his unbroken shield from the past because then it would have been missing for him during the events of the MCU movies.

Someone help me out here.

Sharon is Peggy's niece

So Cap going back has no effect on that

And there's no reason to think the unbroken shield is from the past. They have a near-limitless supply of Vibranium from Wakanda, they can just make a new shield.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps you're young, so that's cool if so. I can't imagine this being the first movie you have ever seen to illicit a meaningful emotional response in life in anyone older than like 25. Like, that has to be a small, small subset of people. It's just not a heavy movie like that. But yea if you're young I understand. If you're not young, idk. Carry on, and def consider expanding the scope of your movie watching. This movie was definitely not on the pantheon of emotional, tear-jerking films.
I'm about 25, I've seen plenty of films that have made me tear up but most of those just don't have the years of emotional investment in characters as in a series like this.

Everyone in my theater just kind of gasped in shock.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Reports are that it's a prequel.

Wanda/Vision is totally not actually the title of the show, right? Unless that's a prequel too.

My guess is we see the downloaded vision loaded into his repaired body in BP2 or it's end credits. There was no time in EG for that because Shuri hadn't been back long enough to even know whats going on, let alone assess the damage of his body or check the download.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I loved how powerful Wanda looked. Nearly successfully 1v1'ed Thanos without breaking a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.