• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
* A bit weird that Cap, Iron Man and (powered up) Thor pretty much lost against gemless Thanos.
If I remember the comics right, Thanos was more powerful than even the Hulk, even without the power gem (or any of the gems). He was even able to best someone who had the power gem without much of an issue.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched it.. liked IW a lot more.. I hoped cap and Tony would die before I even watched the movie (was just tired of their negative/sad attitude).. but caps ending felt hollow, to sugar sweet and just blahhhh for me..
The movie had some great moments.. but it felt way to long for me, the pacing was not as good.. I can't believe I left the cinema kind of disappointed.. Thanos was way to strong without his stones, and his death was kind of boring, I needed him to suffer a good beating and a hard death not just a snap..

And the time travel idea was nice, but damn all those potholes..

I liked the movie but it is not the end I had hoped for after IW.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of characters pissed off at Thanos for killing someone. Did you feel disappointed about Okoye not getting more screentime to be pissed about Black Panther?

That is a really weird comparison. Okoye was never going to get any meaningful screentime in this.
Scarlet for example mentions losing Vision as soon as she's face to face with Thanos.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The final battle and in particular Tony's funeral - we thinking all actors were actually present on set at the same time?

I vaguely remember Evangeline and another actor posting that there was a day or two that was absolutely massive in terms of co-ordinating the actors, but equally (and I realise this was partly due to the framing) there was something a little jarring about the panning shot of the funeral - like they weren't all there simultaneously

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even realise Steve COULD get old, at least not for a long, long time. Like some Captain Jack Harkness/Face of Boe shit.

Anyway, fucking WOW this film.

To be fair if you add up all the years, assuming he goes back exactly to 1945, the dude would be over a hundred at that point and looking like he's 70.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm back motherfuckers.

Just saw it and while I really enjoyed it, I gotta say I preferred Infinity War.

Cap using Mjolnir was dope af and I'm glad he got to have a peaceful ending.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this today. Mixed feelings.

The good stuff:
- Consequence. I was afraid that they would search for the time stone, rewind and set everything like it was at the beginning of Infinity War. That 5 years passed, that half the universe returns to life 5 years later, and there are actual Avengers dead (IronMan, Cap, Vision and Black Widow; also Hulk is gone, replaced by green Banner).
- The setup for the next big Avenger movie was neatly done. Loki escaping with the Tesseract sets up a nicely done post apocaliptic parallel universe where Tony, Cap, Black Widow, Hulk, Loki and Vision can live, we will probably see it in a movie where the parallel Earth has a fascistic Shield over it, Tony's idea realized.
- The elevator scene retcon and the Hail Hydra from Captain America was a great moment. When young Cap tells him he can do this all day and Cap rolls his eyes, great scene too.

The bad:
- Why is Gamora alive? So they only need to use some Pym particles and bring Black Widow and Vision back? Gamora should be dead since they are in a timeline where she was traded for the life stone.
- Captain America living a peaceful life in the same universe is breaking the rules set by themselves. That shouldn't be possible.
- Hobo Thor. I get the joke, it was funny, but he should have been put in a diet in the movie... I mean, Thor was without an eye for 5 minutes, magic new eye and done. Also, why was Thor so depressed? Because of the death of Loki? He didn't loose any more than the others, in fact, it was less. He had no reason to be as depressed as he was shown. He managed to build New Asgard, rule his people, etc.
- Captain Marvel, so fucking annoying. Undeserved spotlight. Even Spiderman felt he was too new and out of place in the final battle, but at least they had the decency of using him a little; but Captain Marvel coming out of nowhere kicking everyone's asses felt out of place IMO. I thought they made good use of Black Panther, also a new character, don't remember him using the storing of power and releasing in Infinity War.
- The pacing of the movie was bad IMO, needs editing.

Mixed feelings:
- Tony didn't deserve that ending. The dude basically built the Avengers, paid for suits, costs, buildings, airships, etc. The dude sacrificed so much, he finally found happiness only to be killed after, sacrificing everything. I'm sure it was fucking Joss Whedon behind this shit.
- Captain America got a happy ending, also completely undeserved.
- The behind the scenes from the other movies was fully entertaining, but there was no reason to be so sneaky. They make fun of BTTF and then do the same stuff.
- The girl power team at the final battle. Cringe to the max. I think that scene would have played better if all the girl heroes got there and then Banner/Hulk gets there and felt super uncomfortable and made a joke, that would have been nice IMO.
- Killing Thanos at the beginning felt rushed, don't know how to make that scene better, or even if it was necessary.
- They sent Black Widow and Hawkeye to get the life stone. To an unknown planet, the two that don't have super suits or super powers and don't have experience in space. Feels heavy handed.
- Hulk was severely underused; only served for Comic relief.

Unsolved questions:
- There is a new Spiderman movie coming. Will they aknowledge that the people on the class that weren't killed by Thanos are now 5 years older than the ones that were revived?
- There is a new Black Widow movie coming. The movie established that Natasha was dead dead, so I can only see two possibilities, one is that they revive her with some bullshit method (maybe if you return the life stone, you get the life you gave back?), or maybe this is parallel universe Natasha. Or maybe it's just the origin story, although this would be terrible in all aspects.
- Scott's daughter is big now. So she can be a new Antwoman/wasp. Place your bets on who dies next movie.
Thor was depressed because he didn't go for the head.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of disappointed at how little action Black Widow had. I can only remember the segment with Hawkeye at Vormir.

Loved every single minute with Nebula.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The final battle and in particular Tony's funeral - we thinking all actors were actually present on set at the same time?

I vaguely remember Evangeline and another actor posting that there was a day or two that was absolutely massive in terms of co-ordinating the actors, but equally (and I realise this was partly due to the framing) there was something a little jarring about the panning shot of the funeral - like they weren't all there simultaneously
They were all there. Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) mentioned at the Red Carpet Premiere in LA, that they were all gathered at that lake house at the final day of shooting.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
She isn't with the others at the end. Gamora is still dead.

He literally lost his father, his brother, his half-sister, 75% of his people and Asgard in the span of one week, before Endgame.

He did use that power in Infinity War, during the Outrider onslaught in Wakanda. You can see the blasts sometimes.

Gamers is not dead. She is from the past before she was killed. She ran off probably because she needed time to process.

You even see Quill scanning for her at the end.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There's only one plot problem:

Why captain Marvel didn't use the damn gauntlet when she had the chance?
Why?

Even if she had runned away with them to the time machine, the war would have raged on. It didn't make any sense. She was supposed to use the glove. She's the most powerful character.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
One last thing from me...do we think there was any cut material?

Holland implied in interview that Cumberbatch had lots of dialogue about the QR that (on not appearing in IW) was assumed to be in here, but Strange barely got a few lines in total. Equally that funny screen grab of a BTS monitor with a graphic of Strange telling Peter 'They aren't dead'

Could of been distraction on all parts, sure

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
She was at the brink of crying when she saw Nick Fury's picture on the heads-up display at the Avengers HQ.

Nick Fury also enters to the right of Carol at the funeral scene, but they don't have a moment together.

I know but it didn't feel like it was enough for me.

Neither was Carol because it's an Avengers movie about the original 6 Avengers.

Jesus Christ are you really putting both characters on the same plane in terms of relevance?
It's completely normal to assume that Carol would get more scenes, going into the movie she was their best shot at defeating Thanos. Your comparison is completely ridiculous.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cap got exactly the ending he deserved. So did Tony.

The biggest cause of consternation between the two of them was how disparate their mentalities were. Cap couldn't live without a war, Tony wouldn't lay his life down the line if it came down to it. Both have risked it, but never truly "committed" to it.

After Endgame they finally succeeded and completed their arcs. Tony gave up his life in an act of sacrifice to protect the universe. Cap honored that sacrifice by doing the thing he could never do, because that's just the kind of person he is. He always honors his comrades, and in Endgame he finally learns to trust Tony. That is 100% in character for him, and if Tony of all people can prove Steve wrong and can lay down his life and become the universe's shield, then Cap can live a damn life. He doesn't have anything else to prove when he's assembled the earth's - nay the universe's mightiest heroes.

That's most likely why he can lift the hammer now. The reason he wasn't able to do so in Ultron was because back then he was still plagued with the idea that he can't live without a war - the exact same reason Thor wasn't worthy of the hammer in his origin movie. Thor was always seeking out a fight, and so was Cap, though less in a "warmonger" sort of way. But in Endgame he's suddenly able to do so, and most likely it's because he'd already resigned himself to the notion that this was going to be his final fight, and that even if he came out victorious, he would be the one to give himself up and go back in time to restore the infinity stones.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When his happy ending ends up screwing the timeline, while also being incredibly selfish? Nah.

Cap was better than that.

But he didn't screw up the timeline? He created another timeline where he is Peggys husband and then he returned as an old man to the regular timeline.

Natasha and Tony brought back billions. Steve watched some guys invent time travel, grabbed some extra pym particles, then went to chill out with Peggy.

The Original 6 avengers + Scott and Rocket brought back billions.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I looooved it!!! It may not be a perfect film but I think this might be the greatest experience I have ever had at a cinema. The pay off for these 10 years was so fucking worth it.

I'll share some more thoughts in the future, but I will say I wanted Cap to be the tragic heroe in this, but I liked the ending they gave him and Iron Man in here much more than my version. Perfect ending. Also the most emotional moment for me was Natasha dying. I didn't see it coming at all going into the movie, and she being my second favourite character in the MCU it hurt a lot. But also, a great ending (?) for her.

I'll ask two questions that maybe have already been discussed. 1) Who is the lonely young boy at Stark's funeral? 2) I guess Thanos had his own tech to get to the present timeline fron the past, right?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

I actually think it's just the camera panning. 24 FPS makes it look that way when the camera moves so quickly between so many people so close. That kid from IM3 who is now grown up, I couldn't even see his face due to the judder, but I found out its him because someone mentioned it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The simple answer to that is that this movie is 100% about the original characters. They didn't want some new character fixing all things, this is supposed to be the closure for the people who started it all.

With that said, I found it incredibly weird that they didn't have Nick Fury say anything at the end. That guy was there too at the beginning and he just has a two seconds cameo.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There was only one character missing i think: Lady Sif.
I know Jamie Alexander was supposed to be in Ragnarok, but since it got delayed she had a scheduleing conflict with another project. I really hope they bring her back some day since Thor is still alive. Has potential to be a great charachter if they can expand on her screen time.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers is not dead. She is from the past before she was killed. She ran off probably because she needed time to process.

You even see Quill scanning for her at the end.
I know that. I meant, the "current Gamora" is still dead. I guess the "past Gamora" is somewhere still though as you say.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Btw can we talk about the real hero of the film? It was that rat who brought Scott back.

The creature will remain unknown as the unsung hero of MCU.
LMFAO. I'm dying here but yeah that fucking rat. Should've been an Avenger. Bite Thanos on the big toe to distract him while Thor knocks his block off with Mjolnir. Gone for the head again
Missed opportunity from the Russo's

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Jesus Christ are you really putting both characters on the same plane in terms of relevance?
It's completely normal to assume that Carol would get more scenes, going into the movie she was their best shot at defeating Thanos. Your comparison is completely ridiculous.
Characters dont get screentime based on power-levels. It wasn't her movie or story being told, her screentime was fine.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Carol is still OP as fuck by the way. I wonder how the hell they are ever going to handle her future solo films. She pops up and everything gets solved.

I mean, what the hell kind of antagonist are you going to use against a character that just casually downs a huge space ship by flying through it and takes a punch that took out a God without flinching?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017

Why?

Even if she had runned away with them to the time machine, the war would have raged on. It didn't make any sense. She was supposed to use the glove. She's the most powerful character.

I thought she was going to as well. It was the logical thing to do when Parker gave it to her but I guess they were more worried in getting it out of Thanos' reach. She knew that she could handle him without it but he outsmarted them.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Why was it undeserved?
Because Steve hasn't really sacrificed anything.

He had a shot with agent Carter, that was granted only because of the super serum, if not for they, he would never know Peggy. So it's not like anything was taken from him.

It's more, his childhood friend returned, and got a new best friend.

Captain doesn't lose anything honestly.

Peggy had a good life, had grandchildren, etc. Captain basically screwed with that timeline.

Completely unearned IMO.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Why?

At that point they were thinking about sending the gauntlet back in time through the van. Tony killing Thanks seems like a last second decision on Tony's part.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched it.. liked IW a lot more.. I hoped cap and Tony would die before I even watched the movie (was just tired of their negative/sad attitude).. but caps ending felt hollow, to sugar sweet and just blahhhh for me..
The movie had some great moments.. but it felt way to long for me, the pacing was not as good.. I can't believe I left the cinema kind of disappointed.. Thanos was way to strong without his stones, and his death was kind of boring, I needed him to suffer a good beating and a hard death not just a snap..

And the time travel idea was nice, but damn all those potholes..

I liked the movie but it is not the end I had hoped for after IW.

Yeah how strong thanos was without the infinity stones was my only issue I have, even if they had missiles dropped on them, last time Tony had a moon....

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The time stuff got a bit long winded, but overall amazing

Wheres gamora now though? Is the one from the past still here

Also wouldnt thanos dying from his 2014 self mean nothing else happened ?

Oct 27, 2017
The end credit sequence with the rousing version of the Avengers theme gave me chills, man.

Also, nice to see James Gunn getting a credit, but not Lee Pace or Paul Bettany? Would've made a more complete cast round-up if they had also had a little mention.

And Jim Starlin finally getting some on-screen action.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He had a shot with agent Carter, that was granted only because of the super serum, if not for they, he would never know Peggy. So it's not like anything was taken from him.

Peggy had a good life, had grandchildren, etc. Captain basically screwed with that timeline.

Completely unearned IMO.

Cap lost a big part of his life when he froze.

Peggy Carter : Mm. I have lived a life. My only regret is that you didn't get to live yours.

He did not screw the timeline, he put the stone back.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
They specifically said it would be a problem if they changed anything, and he went and did.

It ended up as the same timeline of the others even though it was originally another one (?).
Yes because he came back after the snap, if he travel back to where he came from I suppose that there would be another old cap(This is confusing for me too tho)

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
But he didn't screw up the timeline? He created another timeline where he is Peggys husband and then he returned as an old man to the regular timeline.
But wasn't the whole point, him placing the stones back in the same timeline, so alternate timelines wouldn't break out from the timeline we're in?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Completely unearned IMO.
Dude what lol

Steve sacrificed everything. 70 years to be exact.

That's the whole point of his story. He already gave up his entire prospect of a life when he went under ice. That's literally a comment he says in Ultron. How many more times does he have to sacrifice something when sacrifice has been his entire life, and his only purpose to "exist" in the present is penance?

To say he didn't lose anything is hilariously wrong, and to say that he didn't in the context of this movie ignores the fact that this is meant to be the story culmination of at least 20 different movies.

Seppala

Oct 27, 2017
Can we be sure that Cap created a new timeline when he stayed with Peggy? Couldn't it always have been this way in the regular timeline? I assumed it was so because he didn't come back through the portal thingy and sat waiting on the bench.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'll ask two questions that maybe have already been discussed. 1) Who is the lonely young boy at Stark's funeral?
That's Harley Keener. The boy from Iron-Man 3.

harleyp1jzm.jpg

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I felt Infinity War had far superior pacing and a better, more coherent story.

I liked how Endgame subverted my expectations throughout and indulged in lorry loads of fan service... but I'm not a fan of the ending.

Iron Man went out in the best way possible and I'm sure RDJ was happy with the exit - but he deserved better in my opinion.

He was downtrodden and defeated at the end of both Civil War and Infinity War, and had his happy ending snatched away in Endgame.

The fan favourite face of the franchise lost everything, which just didn't sit right with me.

Captain America not only surviving but, through time travel, getting his happy ending just felt totally bizarre to me - particularly in contrast to Tony's fate.

I understand why both characters arrived at the finish line in the way they did, but it left me feeling hollow.

Black Widow is also a far more interesting character than Hawkeye, so it felt weird to see the former bite the bullet.

Who is the face of this universe moving forward? Tony and Steve are gone, Thor has been reduced to a punch line (I adore Chris in this film) and the most popular character left in the franchise - Spider-Man - is a kid.

I don't think any of the remaining characters can prop up the MCU in the same way RDJ did. Interesting times ahead.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Dude what lol

Steve sacrificed everything.

That's the whole point of his story. He already gave up his entire prospect of a life when he went under ice. That's literally a comment he says in Ultron. How many more times does he have to sacrifice something when sacrifice has been his entire life, and his only purpose to "exist" in the present is penance?

To say he didn't lose anything is hilariously wrong, and to say that he didn't in the context of this movie ignores the fact that this is meant to be the story culmination of at least 20 different movies.
I disagree. What did he loose? His multicultural friend squad he knew for a few months?

Yes, he did choose to sacrifice his life for the greater good in the first movie, that's his decision. He got a second chance bring revived from the ice.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who is the face of this universe moving forward? Tony and Steve are gone, Thor has been reduced to a punch line (I adore Chris in this film) and the most popular character left in the franchise - Spider-Man - is a kid.

I don't think any of the remaining characters can prop up the MCU in the same way RDJ did. Interesting times ahead.

Black Panther, Capt Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.