• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had an incredible time.

But damn, Hulk has been mistreated since Avengers 1.

As a fan I keep being disappointed.

These films are always going to sideline the most OP characters in some way (think Xavier in X-Men for another example). It has to serve the larger narrative. Hulk is just too OP and having Thanos hand him a beat down in the very opening of IW was always going to have a lasting effect.

lexible

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
What does eveeybody think of the fight scene where Cap used Mjölnir? I find it one of the most badass moments in all of MCU.

Maybe the highlight of the movie for me, theatre was absolutely hype and this is Australia where theaters are never hype. Thanos headbutting Carol and thunk'ing against her was also top tier. Dissapointed that my girl wasn't in the movie more but I get why and know she'll get her time to shine.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Maybe the highlight of the movie for me, theatre was absolutely hype and this is Australia where theaters are never hype. Thanos headbutting Carol and thunk'ing against her was also top tier. Dissapointed that my girl wasn't in the movie more but I get why and know she'll get her time to shine.
The Netherlands here and last night was the first time the audience ever clapped during a film and it was during that scene. I thought Carol was still influential, even with her little screentime.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I was very lukewarm on Iron Man 1, Incredible Hulk was soild but I wasn't sure where they'd take the character in the grand scheme of things. Captain America was was hooked me into the MCU, I'm not a huge Marvel fan (DC guy, don't kill me lol) I did read a lot of Spider-man, X-Men comics........ but Captain America will forever be my favourite Marvel comic character.

With what happened to Steve Rogers in ENDGAME, I don't really have a vested interest in the MCU going forward. It's been an incredible ride over the last 10 years.

I loved Infinity War for shaking up the traditional Marvel movie formula (also having the bad guy winning = AMAZING/AWESOME/ALL THE GOOD THINGS).

Endgame was great for various reasons, the call backs to the events of past movies, the humour was in the right spots of the film and hit the right note. The emotional moments between certain characters was A+. The story itself was good. The real test of the film's appeal will be how it stacks up on repeat viewings.

Oct 2, 2018
What does eveeybody think of the fight scene where Cap used Mjölnir? I find it one of the most badass moments in all of MCU.

Thors scenes were more hype in IW but with Evans and Ironman leaving they gave the screen time to the other two. Thor was greatly under-utilised in this one. His entrance to wakanda and his fight scenes were amazing

Oct 2, 2018
Endgame was great for various reasons, the call backs to the events of past movies, the humour was in the right spots of the film and hit the right note. The emotional moments between certain characters was A+. The story itself was good. The real test of the film's appeal will be how it stacks up on repeat viewings.

I don't know if I could sit through that first 1.3 hours of EG again myself

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Thors scenes were more hype in IW but with Evans and Ironman leaving they gave the screen time to the other two. Thor was greatly under-utilised in this one. His entrance to wakanda and his fight scenes were amazing
Thor shined a lot in IW, especially at the end as you mentioned, so I wasn't surprised with the little influence he had in Endgame. I loved the Cap moment even more than the Thor Wakanda moment though.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Everyone saying Katherine Langford is Clint's daughter is wrong. That's one of the Russo's kids.

Langford was announced, but I didn't see her anywhere in the movie.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since Peter Quill is now technically also responsible for the deaths of Tony and Nat, he better do something to really redeem himself in a future movie

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I've heard, it seems like a straightforward implementation of multiple realities as seen for example in Star Trek TNG's episode "Parallels". Basically, time travel that causes deviations from the way events originally unfolded results in the creation of 'branches' in time, different realities in which some key events are different. You can't actually change reality, just create different versions of it.

This is a different way of doing time travel compared to movies like Back to the Future or Terminator. In those movies there is a single reality that gets changed as people mess with the timeline. In the MCU as per Endgame, there are multiple realities that branch off from the one we're following as people travel through time.

This means that every event that we saw in this specific reality was always supposed to happen that way. The movie "12 Monkeys" follows a similar logic. In this reality which is the main MCU one, Cap going back in time and living his life there didn't change anything because it was always supposed to happen this way in our reality and Cap just closed the loop. However, him going back in time very probably did cause the creation of an alternate reality in which he never did travel back.

This also answers why future Cap doesn't intervene with historic catastrophic events that he has knowledge of. It would just result in the creation of another alternate reality, it wouldn't change the way our MCU reality developed.

I don't know if you can tell but I really love talking about this stuff!
It sounds exactly like how we speculated despite posters saying it isn't a loop and it works well. It really doesn't because this kills Cap's character. We're being told Cap went back in time and sat through every single event doing nothing. Yes it wouldn't have changed the MCU we know but it still would have changed the reality he himself is living in.

Add in Peggy's lines in Winter Soldier makes this even more fucked up.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Convenient that none of the original Avengers were dusted.

Because the MJ in Homecoming was confirmed to not be an adaption of Mary Jane Watson.
Right, but it's the MJ for this Spider-Man. There isn't another one. It would be monumentally dumb to conceal who and where she was until the end of that movie, only to blow it off and have some classic looking red head take over.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds exactly like how we speculated despite posters saying it isn't a loop and it works well. It really doesn't because this kills Cap's character. We're being told Cap went back in time and sat through every single event doing nothing. Yes it wouldn't have changed the MCU we know but it still would have changed the reality he himself is living in.

Add in Peggy's lines in Winter Soldier makes this even more fucked up.

I don't agree. Steve not interfering simply means that he makes sure that the reality he is living in is the reality he knows, a reality in which the Avengers overcame all obstacles and won. This way he knows that the falcon and Bucky he will meet as an old man are the exact same Falcon and Bucky that he fought with. Any interference will cause a new branch in reality with consequences that are impossible to determine.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. Steve not interfering simply means that he makes sure that the reality he is living in is the reality he knows, a reality in which the Avengers overcame all obstacles and won. This way he knows that the falcon and Bucky he will meet as an old man are the exact same Falcon and Bucky that he fought with. Any interference will cause a new branch in reality with consequences that are impossible to determine.
CmYkjJdXgAAwJEM.jpg

It's just not in his character not to interfere. Also what's even the point of restoring the stones to the timeline afterwards?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CmYkjJdXgAAwJEM.jpg

It's just not in his character not to interfere. Also what's even the point of restoring the stones to the timeline afterwards?
So they don't create 6 doomed timelines
You can't change the past, cap accepts the state of the world in the "present", in the end they succeeded and it's all that matters

Aug 28, 2018
I'm kind of stunned by all the praise that Hemsworth has been getting, I've loved him in these movies in the past but I seriously thought he was pretty excruciating here. Also in a completely different movie than everyone else, but that's more of a Russo tone management issue than a Hemsworth issue.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
CmYkjJdXgAAwJEM.jpg

Another facet of Steve's character is his tactical expertise. He now has advance knowledge that things will work out pretty well if he stays out of the fight this time, so I can buy a scenario in which he commits himself to lifelong non-interference on the basis that he's already made the world a better place. This would also resolve his "man out of time" problem, for what it's worth.

In a story that features talking trees and gun-crazed raccoons, that isn't such a stretch.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, maybe they'll say that Hydra won or Tony was killed with his parents or something if Cap didn't stay in the past or really didn't interfere.

Like his interference was always a part of history.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
CmYkjJdXgAAwJEM.jpg

Ok, based on what people are saying, I think I've got some sort of handle on the time travel aspect of this movie.

- You can travel to the past but you can't change it. What happened is set in stone.
- Travelling to the past and changing things creates branches in time, basically alternate realities.
- This is why going back in time to kill Thanos is pointless. It will just create an alternate reality instead of fixing the main one.
- It also means that, in the reality we've been following, Cap was always going to go back in time and be Peggy's husband. It's possible that there's a reality out there in which Cap didn't go back, or various events happened differently.
- In the reality we've been following, future Cap trying to change past events after going back (like hydra infiltrating Shield, Bucky becoming the Winter Soldier and killing Tony's parents, 9/11 etc) is equally pointless since it would only create more alternate realities, not change the current one.

Those of you who have seen the movie, am I close? I have to say though, I REALLY like that the events of Infinity War were not reset. The snapped came back years later, but everything happened and can't be changed. A truly excellent decision by the writers.
These are essentially the rules for time travelling for the MCU. It doesn't matter if Cap went back and stopped 9/11 or Hydra taking over. All he would have done is create alternate timelines where those things don't happen. It doesn't effect "our" MCU timeline.

He knows going back and doing stuff doesn't actually change anything in the main timeline since he's seen what happens. He knows that they win in the end.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, but actually liked IW a lot more. The pacing for this one was kinda off for a 3 hour movie.

Oct 2, 2018
I'm kind of stunned by all the praise that Hemsworth has been getting, I've loved him in these movies in the past but I seriously thought he was pretty excruciating here. Also in a completely different movie than everyone else, but that's more of a Russo tone management issue than a Hemsworth issue.

I didnt love fat suit Thor. But I can see how people can.

I liked Thor in all the other movies. He's almost like the comic relief here the way he was stumbling around still drunk in asgard. There's a weirdness to his character that doesn't quite gel. By the time travelling part of the movie, he should have been less idiotic.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah not a fan of what they did with Thor especially after his growth in Ragnarok. But maybe he'll improve in Guardians 3

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I didnt love fat suit Thor. But I can see how people can.

I liked Thor in all the other movies. He's almost like the comic relief here the way he was stumbling around still drunk in asgard. There's a weirdness to his character that doesn't quite gel. By the time travelling part of the movie, he should have been less idiotic.

I would guess that Hemsworth's disaffection with the Avengers films may have played a part in this characterisation. He wants to bow out gracefully and hand over the space of most prominent Asgardian to Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie.

Oct 31, 2017
So finished watching it earlier today, good movie. Felt they could have changed the name to Captain America though as the story just really revolved him.
Was disappointed we didn't see more of Captain Marvel.
Does anyone know who was the young guy at the funeral scene of Tony (not Spiderman)

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Welp, the credits are rolling on my part, what a freakin' journey it has been, I will partake in the discussion, when I've rested my eyes a bit.

Oct 2, 2018
=
So finished watching it earlier today, good movie. Felt they could have changed the name to Captain America though as the story just really revolved him.
Was disappointed we didn't see more of Captain Marvel.
Does anyone know who was the young guy at the funeral scene of Tony (not Spiderman)

young guy was the young boy from iron man 3. I only know because I read this thread. Otherwise, woosh.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy
Just saw a cam version of the movie online. I don't have a theater in my town and the only other good cinema is in El Paso 3 hours away. I don't have the time or money to travel that far.
But I will say holy shit it was amazing! Will definitely buy the Shit out of the home release. And maybe Disney will do an entire Phase 1-3 special box set in December.
I will for sure be telling my friends to go in blind.
Damn
I'm still reeling from the end. An end of an era.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a massive MCU fan and have only seen a few movies but really enjoyed this. Favourite moment was probably either Tony's 👌🏻 or Strange's ☝️

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
If Steve go back Our MCU Timeline. Why no one in SHIELD Know that he is Peggy Husband ?
She said on interview in WS that she marry and have a two child.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a rematch at least.
Me too man. Was really hoping in the final battle, it was Bruce who did what Carol Denvers did. It's really unfair that all OG Avengers got to shine in their respective parts, but Bruce was more of a comic relief and didn't get to do much action-wise in IW and this. Is it too much to ask for Hulk to go "HULK SMASH" one more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.