• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it's a really personal thing but for me I just massively prefer Holland to Maguire. And as different as the two movies are, I honestly think that's what sways me in a genre so thoroughly consumed by charisma and personalities.

It depends a lot for me though on where they go with Holland next. I wanna see him develop, grow up, get a little more confident in each film. Like, he's fought alongside the Avengers on Earth and in space now, he can be a little bit more confrontational and sassy with Nick Fury.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a really personal thing but for me I just massively prefer Holland to Maguire. And as different as the two movies are, I honestly think that's what sways me in a genre so thoroughly consumed by charisma and personalities.

It depends a lot for me though on where they go with Holland next. I wanna see him develop, grow up, get a little more confident in each film. Like, he's fought alongside the Avengers on Earth and in space now, he can be a little bit more confrontational and sassy with Nick Fury.
I totally understand where you're coming from with regards to Tom and Toby, but the underlying movies they are in are worlds apart and I say that as someone who considered Homecoming to be the next best Spider-Man movie right up until Monday where I finally saw Spider-Verse :)

I think I'm with you with regards to Tom Holland's Spider-Man, thought, he's just a really, really likable dork and his supporting cast doesn't really get enough credit for helping to drive this home.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I totally understand where you're coming from with regards to Tom and Toby, but the underlying movies they are in are worlds apart and I say that as someone who considered Homecoming to be the next best Spider-Man movie right up until Monday where I finally saw Spider-Verse :)

I think I'm with you with regards to Tom Holland's Spider-Man, thought, he's just a really, really likable dork and his supporting cast doesn't really get enough credit for helping to drive this home.
I get that, Spidey 2, Homecoming and Spiderverse are like the holy trinity of amazing (heh) Spider-Man films.

The supporting cast is great too, and looks to get better with FFH.

Dec 13, 2017
Wait, how is this movie like TLJ? I really hope that's not the case, as that is probably the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. Would put a huge warning flag if this movie is compared to that shit.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, how is this movie like TLJ? I really hope that's not the case, as that is probably the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. Would put a huge warning flag if this movie is compared to that shit.
It turns out that when Luke disappears at the end of TLJ, he was actually traveling over into the Marvel universe. But then he dies in this movie too.

I'm not saying no jokes are allowed or anything like that but the Endgame trailers (especially the first two or so) had a very dark tone. Now, I didn't expect the movie to stick to that tone for 3 hours (this isn't a David Fincher movie) but I was expecting something a little more grim than we are used to. It sounds like Infinity War is probably darker overall than this one, which I was not expecting.

I think last impressions mean a lot. I've seen plenty of people here characterize Infinity War as 2.5 hours of nonstop action even though that's literally true, but can feel like it since the last 30-40 minutes is a pretty big battle (and the beginning 30 or so mins has a lot of action too). Infinity War has a lot of humor in it, but the movie also ends on probably the biggest bummer note I've ever seen out of a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster, so your first thought coming out of it is "shit, that was really dark." When half the cast suddenly dies, your first reaction isn't going to be "hey, that movie was a lot funnier than I expected."

I think the opposite might be true of Endgame. If the movie ends on a triumphant note (pure speculation here: I'm going to guess this movie doesn't end with Thanos killing the other half the universe and now everything is perma-fucked), I can see that last note of triumph overriding whatever melancholy feelings take precedence in the first hour or two hours or whatever.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017
It turns out that when Luke disappears at the end of TLJ, he was actually traveling over into the Marvel universe. But then he dies in this movie too.

Lmao contrary to 99% of people who don't like TLJ, I don't really have much of an issue with Luke's passing. It's everything else about that movie that makes it horrible. When people say it's like TLJ, I'm now thinking there's like 3 different plots in the movie with 2 of them going absolutely nowhere and the 3rd being the main plot point but gets less screen time because we need some kind of race in the movie for no reason.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
homecoming > spider man 2 as well

tenor.gif