• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
"Exciting, entertaining, and emotionally impactful, Avengers: Endgame does whatever it takes to deliver a satisfying finale to Marvel's epic Infinity Saga."

RT consensus is just hype

giphy.gif

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next person who mentions Last Jedi gets banned.

Excited about the review score. I won't even bother reading them, (not until after at least) don't want any spoilers.
But being compared to TLJ by critics is a great thing! TLJ has quickly grown into an all-time blockbuster classic over the past 2 years. Endgame being compared to TLJ is high praise for Endgame.

Embrace the TLJ comparison with open arms.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of the reasons some people hate the superhero craze is shitty conspiratorial fanboys ,who despite the fact the movie has universal critical acclaim and will gross over a billion dollars, who feel this need to shit on people may not like the the thing they like or assume they have some devious ulterior motive.

Get over yourself

Get over your self. You're the one with the conspiracy theory that I'm a "shitty conspirational fanboy." I'm not.

And conspirational isn't a word.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think you're confusing an extreme vocal minority with an actual larger group, or with wider contention. User reviews and aggregates will highlight just how unanimous the praise and reverence is for these different movies.
The vocal minority is still a problem because the Hollywood machine would rather make a safer film that those people would like because it would be more profitable. So you get PG-13 Venom.

Oct 25, 2017
Get over your self. You're the one with the conspiracy theory that I'm a "shitty conspirational fanboy." I'm not.

And conspirational isn't a word.
1. I never typed "conspirational" , perhaps get your eyes checked?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiratorial

Definition of conspiratorial: of, relating to, or suggestive of a conspiracy

2. You posted about how people who give this anything less than a glowing review is clearly doing it to be clickbait. You wrote this.

I strictly believe that critics who give this movie less than 50% on their review do so strictly so their review will get read because they're going to be one of a handful of negative reviews, and people will read their reviews just to find out what they didn't like.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how any sane "critic" could give a movie like this less than 50%.

God fucking forbid a critic does not like this movie.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The vocal minority is still a problem because the Hollywood machine would rather make a safer film that those people would like because it would be more profitable. So you get PG-13 Venom.

I don't really understand how you've correlated extreme vocal minorities complaining about or disparaging certain otherwise nigh on unanimously praised or revered movies, with studios trying to limit violence, sex etc in their blockbuster releases to appeal to a wider demographic of viewers and ages (so their movies can make more money).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. That's the best scene in AOU easily. It's scenes like those that make me love and care for the characters. Part of the reason I loved the latest episode of GOT. Nothing to big happened but the character interactions made that one of the best episodes in awhile IMO. Hoping to get some good moments like that in End Game

I thought that it was the first legitimately bad episode of the series. Almost nothing happened, which could have been fine if the dialog and performances were on point, but the dialog was fucking awful.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So seeing this breaking all records and getting great reviews when will I be able to buy it in 4K blu ray. August?

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
comparisons to TLJ?

I wasn't really excited for this at all, but these reviews are starting to reel me in

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see it review better than Infinity War. Not that that matters much to me, given the issue many reviewers had with IW, I don't think many MCU fans, including me, had.

Also, always hilarious how much TLJ haters have to continously and consistently remind everyone how much they hated that movie. Fucking insufferable.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So "Infinity Saga" is the official name of this whole thing, it looks like? I look forward to the inevitable $300 complete set later this year. I'd jump on that in an instant.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oh hey, when I'm not writing about games for Ars, I'm writing about stuff like movies (even tho Rotten Tomatoes doesn't carry our film reviews, possibly because we don't score them). Here's my SPOILER-FREE Endgame review: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...-three-of-marvels-best-films-rolled-into-one/

The Russo Brothers didn't just pull off an incredible action-blockbuster experience in Endgame—they made the kind of riveting, funny, full-of-life production that instantly rockets to the top of the MCU's best. They also made a film that impresses in spite of the inherent lack of drama tied up in the reality of Marvel's money-making. The show will go on, and Endgame doesn't ignore that fact, yet it still flexes some huge narrative muscles by making room for some compelling stakes in both big and small ways. It makes the seemingly impossible possible.
Buckle up for a film as wild, fun, intense, and satisfying as its mix of expectations and enormity could possibly permit.

No, seriously, it's spoiler-free. Sometimes, I go into various plot details when reviewing a film, but this one is intentionally vague and tip-toey. Enjoy!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I strictly believe that critics who give this movie less than 50% on their review do so strictly so their review will get read because they're going to be one of a handful of negative reviews, and people will read their reviews just to find out what they didn't like.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how any sane "critic" could give a movie like this less than 50%.
Take it down a level this is pure cringe if this isn't sarcasm.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Empire with 5 stars.. if you listen to their podcast you will know they're MCU fanboys, but I still trust and share similar opinions with them.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I'm getting really concerned at the lack of reviews mentioning Dr. Doom. I'm starting to think he isn't in this movie.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Interesting to see it review better than Infinity War. Not that that matters much to me, given the issue many reviewers had with IW, I don't think many MCU fans, including me, had.

Also, always hilarious how much TLJ haters have to continously and consistently remind everyone how much they hated that movie. Fucking insufferable.
Dude, we have more "Reminds the reviewer of TLJ? NOW I'M IN!!!" type comments than from the people who hate it.

I frankly find both sides of it insufferable.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Man, a 98% on RT with already 85 reviews in. I was expecting it to go down a bit every hour, but it's been stable. Wow.

There are already some reactions on YouTube from fanboys who barely qualify as critics, if at all, and they seem to love it.

Some, like Tyrone Magnus, are insufferable and hated TLJ, but loved Endgame, so I don't think we're going to see much divide between critics and fans like some here are wanting to say.

It seems to have managed to pull of a balance between fan service and thematic and character moments critics love.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Dan and Roth loved it.
Great review.

I'm glad I watched because I knew I could trust Dan and Roth to talk about the movie in a way that I didn't feel spoiled anything, and I really think they do a good job of talking about the movie without talking about anything specific enough to even hint at what is going on in the film.

People act like the "fan" journalists are the most useless, but it's in instances like this where they respect that people want to go in fresh like they did and still manage to talk about it in a way that gets across their appreciation of the film and their reaction to what the movie did that doesn't have to essentially regurgitate the plot point by point to even attempt to comment on it.

I probably won't try to read/watch a lot of other reviews, but it definitely makes me excited to come back to the reviews after I see it.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I agree everyone who ever mentions TLJ no matter the context should be banned.
And i take this one gladly.

Also this is probably the first movie since 7 years I'm going to watch in theater. Just all sounds to good to be true.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some, like Tyrone Magnus, are insufferable and hated TLJ, but loved Endgame, so I don't think we're going to see much divide between critics and fans like some here are wanting to say.
In the comments he even mentioned that he liked Captain Marvel in the movie. He was a total idiot manchild about her before.

I'm not sensing any divide coming.

Great review.

I'm glad I watched because I knew I could trust Dan and Roth to talk about the movie in a way that I didn't feel spoiled anything, and I really think they do a good job of talking about the movie without talking about anything specific enough to even hint at what is going on in the film.

People act like the "fan" journalists are the most useless, but it's in instances like this where they respect that people want to go in fresh like they did and still manage to talk about it in a way that gets across their appreciation of the film and their reaction to what the movie did that doesn't have to essentially regurgitate the plot point by point to even attempt to comment on it.

I probably won't try to read/watch a lot of other reviews, but it definitely makes me excited to come back to the reviews after I see it.
I don't know why mainstream journalists are so shitty about spoilers. Pisses me off.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

How can a few critics dislike this thing I like

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of the screening. I loved it. Not going to go in detail, but this lives up to the ten year cinematic journey that the MCU gave us. Cried about 3 times lol ain't gonna lie.