• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you seeing this again for the movie or extras?

• Movie

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • Extras

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even think about China. I know that's an entirely different ball of wax but is there any reason for them not to bring it back there? Want it's run cut short while it was still doing well over there?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I asked a friend who is a manager at the local cinema (in The Netherlands) and he didn't know anything about it and he couldn't order it either. So this is either going to be exclusive to the US and maybe some other markets like Brazil as mentioned above, or this is nothing to write home about and they're skipping most markets. Since if this is really going to be released worldwide next week theaters should already know about it by now (which is extremely late) to be able to plan it in free slots in the schedule etc.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
D6F37aZWwAU5zd5.jpg

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
I'm actually legit starting to believe they are going for a legit worldwide release. If they get China this is insanity.

If they get China too I don't see how this doesn't get to $30m

Nothing says "Super exciting new cut of a movie that you pulled out of your country weeks ago but should seriously consider bringing back because seriously the shit we've added is going to blow your fucking minds" than 7 minutes of tacked-on post-credits Blu-ray extras. China's gonna be asking for seconds thirds. The Avengers theme is going to become China's new national anthem at this rate.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I asked a friend who is a manager at the local cinema (in The Netherlands) and he didn't know anything about it and he couldn't order it either. So this is either going to be exclusive to the US and maybe some other markets like Brazil as mentioned above, or this is nothing to write home about and they're skipping most markets. Since if this is really going to be released worldwide next week theaters should already know about it by now (which is extremely late) to be able to plan it in free slots in the schedule etc.
Walt Disney Brazil hasn't confirmed that it will be released next week here. Only that it's coming. Does Walt Disney has a division in Netherlands? Geek sites to confirm it? I don't think they will focus in just some markets.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
endgame coming back to china

e8a.gif

expecting the next post to be something like: "GUYS DISNEY IS GOING TO USE THEIR MIND-WIPER TO REMOVE THE MOVIE FROM EVERYONE'S MINDS SO THEY WILL HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN"

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
If anything Avatar is the box office juggernaut that deserves to keep the crown.

It broke the US record. First movie to break the 700M barrier.
It broke the overseas record, first (and only) movie to gross over two billion just internationally.
It broke the Chinese record (and in a bunch of other countries for that matter) by over three times.
It outgrossed the former highest grossing movie (Titanic) by nearly a billion.

It absolutely decimated everything in its path. It did to the box office what Titanic had done 12 years earlier. Left everything it its dust.

Endgame at best will limp to the finish line, if it gets there at all. It ain't first in the US, overseas, or in China or in any major territory outside of Brazil.

It did the exact opposite end of the impossible: it made a billion dollars in its first weekend. It occupied and sold out practically every theater in the country, plus extra showings at insane hours. It's "limping" to the finish line after getting there in, what, a quarter of the time?

The world record for running a mile is a bit shy of 4 minutes. If I run it in one minute, but collapse 5 feet from the finish line and don't cross it, is that impressive?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
User Banned (2 Weeks): Hostility, thread derail, gatekeeping, history of similar infractions

e8a.gif

expecting the next post to be something like: "GUYS DISNEY IS GOING TO USE THEIR MIND-WIPER TO REMOVE THE MOVIE FROM EVERYONE'S MINDS SO THEY WILL HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN"
It's definitely unlikely to happen, but I... don't understand, really. Aren't you a MCU fan? Or this is just another "gotcha" from me simply speculating at a China re-release? We don't know what is the extent of this, and while we don't know that, the fact that we already have confirmation of at least a new location should be exciting to you, if you follow box office. Or you just don't want Endgame to pass it (there wouldn't be nothing wrong about that, btw)? Legit curious if this is about Endgame or me posting things, because I really can't tell if this is banter or something else.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's definitely unlikely to happen, but I... don't understand, really. Aren't you a MCU fan? Or this is just another "gotcha" from me simply speculating at a China re-release? We don't know what is the extent of this, and while we don't know that, the fact that we already have confirmation of at least a new location should be exciting to you, if you follow box office. Or you just don't want Endgame to pass it (there wouldn't be nothing wrong about that, btw)? Legit curious if this is about Endgame or me posting things, because I really can't tell if this is banter or something else.
Let's see what happens.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
It's definitely unlikely to happen, but I... don't understand, really. Aren't you a MCU fan? Or this is just another "gotcha" from me simply speculating at a China re-release? We don't know what is the extent of this, and while we don't know that,the fact that iwe already have confirmation of at least a new location should be exciting to you, if you follow box office. Or you just don't want Endgame to pass it? Legit curious if this is about Endgame or me posting things, because I really can't tell if this is banter or something else.

Not everything is aimed at you (this wasn't); someone else mentioned China first.

And miss me with that purity test bullshit.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious though, there's a boatload of movies coming this month with 3 of them (Toy Story 4, Annabelle, Child's Play) taken up every screen. Where are they fitting this movie? Will it have premium formats or will it be a standard format re-release? This goes without mentioning every other movie releasing this month.

Supposedly the date is June 28 but still. Annabelle releases the 26th an FFH is July 2nd and that will be playing on the majority of IMAX/Dolby screens. So where?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cant let james cameron sit on top eh? pathetic
4Ok09_.gif

I'm actually legit starting to believe they are going for a legit worldwide release. If they get China this is insanity.

e8a.gif

China is probably leaning no, but it's hardly as certain as you make it seem. True, they pulled the shocker of not giving it an extension the first time around, and we can speculate that the reason is the current atmosphere and China — US tensions.

But on pure speculation it's not necessarily less likely that China skipped on the first expansion because they were told that this was going to happen.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Two decent weeks, and Avengers is ahead of Avatar.

Next weekend is this rerelease, than the weekend after that is Spider-man plus July 4th, should be able to squeak by.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
China is probably leaning no, as they pulled the shocker of not giving it an extension. With the current atmosphere and China — US tensions, chances are slim.

Though perhaps China skipped on the first expansion because they were told that this was going to happen.

I thought about that too. That will be interesting to follow. Who knows with China these days, but it would be neat if it happens before Far From Home.

Two decent weeks, and Avengers is ahead of Avatar.

Next weekend is this rerelease, than the weekend after that is Spider-man plus July 4th, should be able to squeak by.
If this scenario happens, I think it would take at least another two weeks. But who knows, if there is an actual marketing push and this getting worldwide markets even without China, you might be into something here. I'm conservatively thinking September at this point. It will top Avatar's $2.49B first run this weekend, I think.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious though, there's a boatload of movies coming this month with 3 of them (Toy Story 4, Annabelle, Child's Play) taken up every screen. Where are they fitting this movie? Will it have premium formats or will it be a standard format re-release? This goes without mentioning every other movie releasing this month.

Supposedly the date is June 28 but still. Annabelle releases the 26th an FFH is July 2nd and that will be playing on the majority of IMAX/Dolby screens. So where?
Toy Story has all the imax screens next weekend. Disney is not pulling them in it's second weekend. Hell you can already order imax tickets for next weekend at my theater for toy story.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Disney would to waste one of the annual limited slots on a muthafucking re-release of Endgame in China, when that original release was already on its way out even before it left theaters.

Not that it's even a remote possibility it could even happen considering China literally denied an expansion.

This is why some of you can't be taken seriously.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And my wife and I just saw it last weekend (second for me, first for her). I have great timing and will watch on YT.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think the early buzz with spider man and its connection to end game might help here. Remember the bounce that captain marvel got with endgame coming out.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toy Story has all the imax screens next weekend. Disney is not pulling them in it's second weekend. Hell you can already order imax tickets for next weekend at my theater for toy story.

Looking at my AMC app it looks like Toy Story 4 will have all the daytime IMAX screens while Annabelle begins it's Thursday night previews with the late night IMAX and Dolby screens. Annabelle will have Dolby on lock till FFH releases it seems. It also seems like they'll be sharing IMAX screens until FFH as well.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at my AMC app it looks like Toy Story 4 will have all the daytime IMAX screens while Annabelle begins it's Thursday night previews with the late night IMAX and Dolby screens. Annabelle will have Dolby on lock till FFH releases it seems. It also seems like they'll be sharing IMAX screens until FFH as well.
Yeah I just don't see this getting any premium screens at all next weekend.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMAX says the re-release won't be on IMAX, according to Variety.
Well there it is.

Unless it happens to be in Dolby. Just checked again and Annabelle only has IMAX and so does Toy Story Jun 26th+ so if that's the case then it it'll only be for a week right before FFH unless AMC decides to add Dolby Thursday night previews along with weekend/weekday screens for Annabelle.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know if Pikachu got an extra 6 minutes of bonus material it would have totally cleared a billion. Just saying.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
I mean, are we just going to pretend Avatar didn't do the exact same thing with a theater rerelease in the summer? It came out before Christmas, and at least in the Toronto area it was still in theaters in like July or August. I remember thinking it was crazy this Christmas released movie was still able to be seen in theaters with my friends in the summer when I got back from university.

Nowadays a theater run is like 2-3 months, Avatar ran for 8 or 9 and commercials kept hyping it up as "Go see this amazing event that everyone's been talking about all spring. We san't believe you've missed it, so make sure you go while you can! Also, 3D."

Can't fault marvel for extending the stay in theaters to a 4th month to beat the record, they'll still manage it in half the time Avatar did.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, are we just going to pretend Avatar didn't do the exact same thing with a theater rerelease in the summer? It came out before Christmas, and at least in the Toronto area it was still in theaters in like July or August. I remember thinking it was crazy this Christmas released movie was still able to be seen in theaters with my friends in the summer when I got back from university.
That was part of its original run. The special edition was released in Late August. It ran that long simply because people kept watching the thing.