• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The slut comment is from the actors calling the character a slut in interviews. It's in the fiber of the movie.
You're reaching hard
giphy.gif

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Jesus, how are all these "you are looking to be offended" comments even allowed on this board. What good kind of discussion does that bring? Feel like sometimes this forum can be just as bad as the old one when discussing certain things.

we have our own opinion
do not compare us to Neogaf. We stay here for a good reason, same as yours.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, how are all these "you are looking to be offended" comments even allowed on this board. What good kind of discussion does that bring? Feel like sometimes this forum can be just as bad as the old one when discussing certain things.

I think it's time to stop posting. Your thread backfired and it happens sometimes. People don't agree with your take and you don't seem to want to understand why at all so I think this thread is over. Having a tantrum isn't going to help.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
And while I am not saying it's true or not but if you are going to claim actors called the character -your words- a "slut" and a "whore" while promoting a Disney movie, it's on you to provide receipts.
This is actually true. It's that meme with Chris Evans throwing his head back and laughing. What caused him to laugh so hard was the person he was interviewing with (I think it was Renner?) called Natasha a slut.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019

is that "so" bad? I don't even remmeber that scene.
Makes me think about the "inclusive writing" in France.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Seems like a misread of a clunky bit of dialogue. I don't think it was penned to imply what you're seeing

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
She didn't need to reveal her sterility to him, she didn't need to be sterile at all, the conversation didn't need to go there anyways. If she really was relating to him being a monster because she's an assassin, then there was no need for the sterility point to come up in the dialogue. But the fact that sterility is her intro into her monster speech is indicative of the general tone of the movie to me.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IN THE DAMN INTERVIEWS for this movie, captain america and hawkeye's actors call her a slut and a whore. This is the kind of atmosphere that was on set and in the filming. This movie really is a disgrace.

Can you link to these please? You should also add those to the OP at they seem essential to your point. I only watched it once and I got Assassin stripped of humanity rhetorical monster vs actual green literal monster. But those interviews sound like more background.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
That is an interpretation of the scene that's been around since it first came out. It tells me the scene was handled messily, but I absolutely dont agree with that reading.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

This is the scene I had the most issue with in the movie, but luckily it was short. It's amazing that Whedon got to do this gag twice in both a Marvel and DC movie.

The other small thing that annoyed is that Black Widow is the character that Ultron captures. I feel like that was calling back to the fact that they didn't want to make Hawkeye the one "missing" from the team again, and she got picked, unfortunately.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
She didn't need to reveal her sterility to him, she didn't need to be sterile at all, the conversation didn't need to go there anyways. If she really was relating to him being a monster because she's an assassin, then there was no need for the sterility point to come up in the dialogue. But the fact that sterility is her intro into her monster speech is indicative of the general tone of the movie to me.

My sister is sterile.
She can't have a baby.
When i saw that scene i was thinking "thanks god, a blockbuster movie talking about this issue and how women can feel about this".

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people misreading this scene, that's on you. And also don't say actors said vile shit and not have something to back it up with.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

are you even reading the thread? lmao

bruce no children. natasha no children. common ground no children.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Again, Bruce literally talks about how she wont be able to have a family with him, why would she then only talk about how she used to be an assassin?

Matt has already made her argumentation more than clear:
No, she's responding to his points separately. They both can't have children (and therefore being with Bruce won't deprive her of having biological children) and they are both "monsters" because of what they've done/can do.

She's in no way saying being unable to have children makes someone a monster.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As has been explained to you, she only brought up the sterilization because Bruce brought up that he couldn't have kids. Bruce brought that up because he didn't want to deprive her of that future if that's what she wanted. She responded that she can't have that future either, so it isn't a problem.

You're looking to be upset, but there's nothing there.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

See, this is an example of a dumb trope that can be criticized.

I don't know if I'd call it inherently sexist and harmful because it's played for laughs and works with men too kind of like this scene in Christmas vacation, but it can certainly be criticized.
a9fe6de4426667ad8498a6059639634b.jpg

Instead we've got weak-sauce stuff like OP that had been thoroughly dismissed 4 years ago.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Movie isnt good, whedon has problems. But so does OP, it seems. Weird readings.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You are ignoring the whole "I can't have kids anyway so that's not a reason for us to not be together" thing.

Which is the entire impudence for the sterilization reveal.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
There's a lot of weird, tone-deaf shit in this movie, but this really isn't one of them.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The first movie already dealt with her assassin background and her insecurities about it. This is her calling herself a monster because she can't get pregnant. It's really right there in the text.

No. No no no. It's still a terrible movie, but not for the reason you manufactured out of thin air.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Feels like OP derailed his own thread by saying "slut" without any accurate context as to why that word was used.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like aren't really interested in opposing view points which is the core of "good discussion"

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
You misread the scene, completely and even ignored the official explanation on it as well. And the dialogue in the opening at the bar with Rogers and Banner? That was in reference to Winter Soldier. Seriously, are people this bad at paying attention?

Outrage culture (false one at that) has made almost completely ignore social media except for news and friends. You stayed up thinking about something in a fictional movie that you misinterpreted (two scenes and...Disney interviews where they never call her a "slut"?)? My lord.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
Seems like aren't really interested in opposing view points which is the core of "good discussion"

I bring a good point
no one cares
this is why i always feel alone at a sociologist teacher.... Everyone doing a debate about "YOU ARE LEFT" "YOU ARE RIGHT" like we are in a star wars debate about "you are a jedi" "you are a sith"

Status
Not open for further replies.