• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see how else one could interpret a woman explaining how she was sterilized and then immediately saying she's a monster too.

Or maybe it's the killing?
  • Bruce Banner: You sure? Even if I didn't just...there's no future with me. I can't ever...I can't have this, kids, do the math, I physically can't.
  • Natasha Romanoff: Neither can I. In the Red Room, where I was trained, where I was raised, um, they have a graduation ceremony. They sterilize you. It's efficient. One less thing to worry about. The one thing that might matter more than a mission. It makes everything easier. Even killing. [she hesitates a moment] You still think you're the only monster on the team?
She literally says how easy it is for her to kill (and we know she did it a lot) immediately before the line you have an issue with. The sterilization part is a response to his statement. Do you also think that Hulk is only saying he's a monster because he can't have kids?

The movie really does treat her like a sex object. Captain America tells hulk that she's a real good flirt up close and bruce banner is like "wooah what do u mean up close." Every conversation about her is about whos been with her or who will get with her.

When in doubt, pivot.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying real hard to see how you interpreted her dialog as a slut who can't fulfill her womanly duties. She's saying that she's an assassin. She kills people. She uses her entire body as a weapon. She's had something taken from her that she can never have back, because then she won't have any "baggage" if she's raped or becomes intimate with anyone.

Like, help me to see you're viewpoint.

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
The slut comment is from the actors calling the character a slut in interviews. It's in the fiber of the movie.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
She calls herself a monster because she can't have children. Literally comparing being unable to have kids to being a rampaging hulk...

No she doesn't.

Whedon had a ton of issues, but the amount of people who misread this scene is astounding, especially since people swear the scripts are embarrassingly simple.

The slut comment is from the actors calling the character a slut in interviews. It's in the fiber of the movie.

Reed Richards would be proud of this reach.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
She calls herself a monster because she can't have children. Literally comparing being unable to have kids to being a rampaging hulk...
No, she's responding to his points separately. They both can't have children (and therefore being with Bruce won't deprive her of having biological children) and they are both "monsters" because of what they've done/can do.

She's in no way saying being unable to have children makes someone a monster.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see how else one could interpret a woman explaining how she was sterilized and then immediately saying she's a monster too.
I mean, plenty of people are already explaining to you what the intended message was and how they interpret it.

That you don't agree with it, that's fine, that's part of the medium.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie really does treat her like a sex object. Captain America tells hulk that she's a real good flirt up close and bruce banner is like "wooah what do u mean up close." Every conversation about her is about whos been with her or who will get with her.

yeah swing and miss on this too, cap was pointing out that there's a stark contrast between her casual flirting with people she's not romantically interested in and how she behaves with bruce aka that is actually real

it's not about cap getting with her, their relationship is entirely platonic. it's about cap sort of nudging bruce to be like "hey yall have a good thing going" as opposed to her casual flirting which is a big ol' nothing burger and not indicative of whose getting with her, as you put it

frankly your misinterpreted framing of these scenes is more sexist than what's actually there

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Who cares, that pairing was terrible anyway. Thank god the Russo brothers swept it under the rug.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the whole thing.

No sexism detected.

It's quite clear that she considers herself a monster because she is sterilised for the sole purpose of being able to focus on murdering people, not just because she is steralised and can't do her "slutty duties" or whatever it is you thought.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Woke up on the wrong foot OP? She literally said that it made the killing easier, that's what she was referring to, being a monster due to her assassinations.
Where does "slut" come from btw? Says more about you, I think.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Ultron is really the hero of the film because he's the best at reproducing.

Oct 25, 2017
OP: Rightfully critiques sexism in movie.
Also OP: Uses sexist/misogynistic language to describe female character based on a misinterpretation of a scene.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It must be tough living life to be offended and trying to find offensive/make it up if needed all the time.

It's a mostly shitty movie by a mostly shitty filmmaker who made his rep not by his actions but by being one of the first to make a show where a woman was not only the star but men were not always needed for her storyline and all of a sudden he was a feminist icon.

Flash forward turns out he is a shitbag plus equality (while still not good) has come a lot further so it's easy to look back at some of his work and go "we all thought he was progressive?" that reaction is fine, normal even. But you jumped past that turnstile into reaching.

And while I am not saying it's true or not but if you are going to claim actors called the character -your words- a "slut" and a "whore" while promoting a Disney movie, it's on you to provide receipts.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember leaving the theater and having a long discussion about how they did Black Widow dirty with my ex. Similar conversations were had again after Endgame.

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely a reason why she brings up her sterilization. It's part of the way that she's supposed to relate to this monster. There was no reason to make her sterile or make that part of the conversation, but clearly it is. That you can interpret it as to be "about killing" is not the point. The point is that it's making her "damaged" and therefore easier to be a monster. I guess we have different interpretations on this, but to me, this is astoundingly sexist.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^ The relation is that they both physically cannot have children.

He said he couldn't have kids, she then revealed that she also cannot. That's why she said it. The monster thing isn't about that. They are both monsters for their actions. And of course Hulk is pretty literally one. She because she is an assassin.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Also let's not forget Tony Stark makes a rape joke when he says he will declare Prima noctae when he lifts Mjolnir.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm convinced that people willfully misinterpret this scene in order to support a narrative.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Joss "His Wonder Woman script had detailed lines about camera angles focusing on her butt." Whedon

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't as bad as the Arrival thread but Era is having quite the day as far as film literacy goes.

But death of the author is a thing and Whedon has a spotty track record so you do you OP.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There is absolutely a reason why she brings up her sterilization. It's part of the way that she's supposed to relate to this monster. There was no reason to make her sterile or make that part of the conversation, but clearly it is. That you can interpret it as to be "about killing" is not the point. The point is that it's making her "damaged" and therefore easier to be a monster. I guess we have different interpretations on this, but to me, this is astoundingly sexist.
She brings it up because Bruce says it's one of the reasons he can't have a normal life. Her point is, since she is also unable to have biological children, being with him won't deprive her of that experience.

It absolutely has both plot and thematic purpose.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
OP went from claiming it was in the text of the scene itself to asking how anyone could possibly interpret this differently, pointing to other scenes in the movie as evidence, and then finally referencing cast interviews which still have not been posted in this thread.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I think...it's a bit too far in my opinion
i don't think anyone watching this movie said into himself "it's a misogyn movie HELL YEAH" (with the voice of Jason Momoa)

OP
OP
Supermanisdead
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, how are all these "you are looking to be offended" comments even allowed on this board. What good kind of discussion does that bring? Feel like sometimes this forum can be just as bad as the old one when discussing certain things.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Of course there's a defense force for this.

Only because so many misinterpret this scene. As has been explained, it's not what you and the OP thought. You two out here like

giphy.gif

right now.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Stop using defense force as a means to dismiss takes you disagree with.

Edit: Er, that's me as a member saying that, not a mod direction just in case people were confused.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bruce literally talks about how she can never have children if she's with him, so she points out that she can't have children anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.