• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Was going to wait for the PS5 upgrade but now I might grab it earlier. Are the character additions (Hawkeye etc) getting story missions too or are they just for variety?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused as to why people thought that this would be similar to Anthem; simply because Anthem was also a GAAS?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of interested as someone who neither hated nor loved the beta.

Can someone tell me how much of a grind multiplayer is? There's so much information out there that it's difficult to really parse. Like do costumes and upgrades take ages to unlock?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Can you actually just play the campaign, though? Like, story mission after story mission until the end? I got the impression from pre-release stuff that a certain amount of side stuff and grinding was all but mandatory.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can you play the story missions in coop or no?
Some yes, it's when appropriate (for instance, the beta mission where you can be kamala or hulk to hunt down the shield vault, it's very early on, but you can play as either and matchmake with someone playing the other).

I'm only about to get the fourth character but I expect as you get farther it will be more true rather than less.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
No problem! I know what you mean; more promotion of the single player campaign would have helped put to rest some of the negativity surrounding the game. However, I imagine that given the campaign is only 12-15 hours in comparison to the potential hundreds of hours the multiplayer experience could offer, they didn't want to give a false impression. The story hits hard in some moments though. This feels like Kamala's breakout moment.
I can see that but still feel like they should have talked about it more, especially after the generally mixed reactions for the beta. CoD campaigns are very short and most people come to those games for the multiplayer, but their marketing always puts the story campaign front and center since it looks cinematic and makes for good trailers.

A solid 12-15 hour cinematic single-player campaign isn't that different from the Arkham games or Spiderman PS4 and you get that here plus all the GaaS multiplayer if that's your thing.

Great to hear that the game turned out well, I loved what Crystal Dynamics did with Tomb Raider and I'm excited to finally see Kamala in a big cinematic game.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I'm just seeing some cutscenes on Youtube, and I'm like... even if I was diving in for the story, the timing, chemistry between these versions of these characters - it's just not there. Widow and Thor are both performed by people who've done these roles before, and regularly. Baker's Bruce Banner is fine. But I'm just not feeling it between anyone else. Even in the cutscene direction/editing, it all sits awkwardly.

the voice actors are just so...bleh

I don't hear characters, I hear the same whitebread voice actors in AAA videogame

Where is Eric Loomis, Vanessa Marshall, Brian Bloom? Could they not get these people to voice Tony, Nat, and Steve? surely they can't be more expensive or as busy as North, Bailey, and Baker

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
All the haters that hated on it just jumped to conclusions like usual. The devs seem extremely excited to invite us into Avengers and their amazing support means this is day 1 for me.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
All the haters that hated on it just jumped to conclusions like usual. The devs seem extremely excited to invite us into Avengers and their amazing support means this is day 1 for me.
Um....no
The beta was very lack luster and was not a good representation of the game at all.
You can't blame people for that. Plus there is still bugs like clipping through buildings you can't despawn out of.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Um....no
The beta was very lack luster and was not a good representation of the game at all.
You can't blame people for that. Plus there is still bugs like clipping through buildings you can't despawn out of.

dude people have been hating on this every trailer thread. It's rough, combat looks boring as hell, graphics suck, lol no raids day 1 this is a disaster. I mean of course I'm surprised people like it now.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I want people to spoil the crap out of this. From everything I've seen and heard it never gets beyond an infamous plot rip

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn. I enjoyed the single player missions in the beta but didn't really like the multiplayer stuff. Glad to hear the full game is shaping up to be better.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
dude people have been hating on this every trailer thread. It's rough, combat looks boring as hell, graphics suck, lol no raids day 1 this is a disaster. I mean of course I'm surprised people like it now.

Yes, but we're they wrong? I already have a feeling you won't agree but yeah, the initial trailers were not flattering, many weren't initially sold. That's fine. The beta definitely won over a lot folks, moreso than nay, since they actually had the opportunity to play it and of course, with the new improvements both mechanically and visually that put the older promo material to shame.

At the end of the day, why does it bother you how someone else feels about the game to THIS degree? Most folks even admit the initial trailer(s) were not the best.

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
Ok I might be interested now, if some say that it's even similar to the Spider-Man game(which I haven't played but have read amazing reviews) then I'm sold, kinda bummed because I'm an Xbox user and would like to play with Spidey, but that's ok.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The beta made it obvious this game was going to have a good story. I don't know wtf everyone else was seeing.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For weeks I have been saying here in ERA that people might be very surprised by the games story and here we are. Really happy to have been correct

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Huh... Wasn't expecting that, though I never really had any thoughts on the story before. Aside from, well, Cap is obviously not dead and it's cool that Kamala is the lead. The beta was pretty fun but the last mission I did (I played as Hulk for this Hulk character mission thing?) kind of completely soured my experienced and I just stopped playing even though I still had time left. Really glad to hear the story's actually good though as these are characters and a world I love. I'm still probably gonna wait til the PS5 to get this, but I'm looking forward to it a bit more now.

Helps too that Kate looked (and sounded) awesome in the newest trailer.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear. This will probably be a Christmas game for me (still have a bit of a backlog to get through), but early impressions from the beta were killing my enthusiasm. Glad the single player, which is the part I care most about, is making a better impression.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Campaign is definitely better than I personally expected.

I still wouldn't say that this game is great from a purely gameplay perspective so far (I'm about 4 hours in), but the actual writing and story that's going on is holding my interest.

I feel like this is a game that can certainly ramp up to greatness but so far I'm not feeling that way about it. It is definitely still feels like it's remaining toned down on the difficulty a bit, playing on Normal. I also don't feel like the systems are gelling together in a way where there's a clear use for all my tools just yet, but I could see it getting there eventually. I hope it gets there eventually, then this game might be really quite awesome.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The beta made it obvious this game was going to have a good story. I don't know wtf everyone else was seeing.

On one hand, there's a difference between a good story in general and a good story for a multiplayer GaaS title. Lot of people were most likely expecting the latter, myself included. The fact that the game actually has what amounts to a standard campaign is quite surprising.

On the other hand, people did say some real stupid shit in their attempt to be non-stop negative. "What kind of story uses story cards for transitions" like c'mon shouldn't have to spell that out for ya.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Because Anthem was also very perfunctory and by-the-numbers. I think that's where the comparison comes from.
The funny thing is that Anthem spent a lot of time trying to hype up its story. Felt like I saw so many dev diary style videos prior to launch essentially saying "hey! we figured out how to do a story in a GaaS framework with the BioWare touch!!" and then was careful to not actually show big cinematics or story moments (because they didn't actually have anything to show).

With Avengers, they've shown so so soooo little about their story content that it made it seem like they basically had the equivalent of what Anthem had for a story. In actuality, they just have a regular linear cinematic well told story WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT PEOPLE WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. They could have just easily advertised this and had the best of both worlds. You got all your GaaS stuff if you want it and a straightforward narrative action game that is well produced. It seems like with recent war tables they are finally starting to get their marketing in order, but jeez, what a missed opportunity to sell their own game.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The campaign is honestly one of the most pleasant surprises of the year. In terms of writing and direction, it's just as good as Insomniac's Spider-Man. I enjoy playing Spidey a bit more, but this is still a lot of fun. The opening hour of Avengers is almost impossible not to smile at, the writing is spot on.
Whoa this is a high praise

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The A-Day demo blows, I'll give you that. But the two story missions were solid. How people thought "This game will be garbage" after playing them is...baffling.

when they said that each story for every hero is free then I knew that the story would continue very well and start great. If it was paid i'd be more iffy possibly.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
if this is actually good, it'd top Doom 2016 in terms of surpassing expectations

because holy shit has this game seemed incredibly unappealing every step of the way from reveal to literally this moment

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The beta was just a corridor beat em up with next to no story elements at all, it was the definition of generic.

the missions directly after A-day proved there was more to this game, why they didn't focus on that idk. I mean i know why they wanted the end game gamers to know there was more than just a campaign because that's the people who stick around.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
Square is trying so hard to make people hat this game, The marketing team on this game isn't doing it any favors.

I was so ready to write off this game until I saw combo videos that made it look more like a solid character action game (Like DMC, Bayonetta, etc)

Now hearing that the story is actually good? I'm convinced this could be a solid GotY contender.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The beta was just a corridor beat em up with next to no story elements at all, it was the definition of generic.

the missions directly after A-day proved there was more to this game, why they didn't focus on that idk. I mean i know why they wanted the end game gamers to know there was more than just a campaign because that's the people who stick around.

If people didn't notice the story that's on them. Shit was plain as day. Bruce's discussion with Kamala let me know they were trying to tell a proper story.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
If people didn't notice the story that's on them. Shit was plain as day. Bruce's discussion with Kamala let me know they were trying to tell a proper story.
Their relationship works so well. I agree that the Beta clearly indicated there was more to the story than what we had seen. Specifically the interactions between Bruce and Kamala post story missions.