• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
The campaign was the most surprising thing for me having tried the beta. There's a certain charm to interactions and I totally relate with Kamala fangirling it up. I assumed I would get a better enjoyment out of the multiplayer more, but the network issues and quick missions left a sour taste for me in that regard.

Oct 25, 2017
But what about the gameplay, mission design, enviroments, and enemies? I've read that it doesn't improve from the beta. I'm seeing people impressed with the story but I don't know if they loved the game design before or things just got improved now.

I feel like I'm being told half the story with these articles.
Enemies, eh not really.
Locations, yes
Lot of "linear" stuff not remotely shown in the beta is also great

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see there's quality in this game. To be honest, I thought it looked very, very bland in its first showings.

I'd love to play the game, but my problem with it is precisely the characters. I have never, ever been able to find any enjoyment in Marvel characters. I'm a comics guy, but they have never clicked with me. I just can't see myself investing so much time in developing these characters I don't give a crap about. That's why I'm excited for Gotham Knights. It doesn't look as visually interesting as Avengers, but at least I really do care about Barbara Gordon et al.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
They made it pretty clear from the beginning it was a huge focus of the game, when they announced the voice cast and showed some of those early cutscenes. They just failed to follow up on that, when they spent the rest of the game's rollout focused on the multiplayer stuff. Don't blame people for not knowing how expansive and well crafted they aimed for the story mode to be, but it's great to hear they nailed it.

no one in that camp was keeping a level head about this game regardless.

this site's general reaction is to immediately shit on anything GaaS like.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Ben Moore (Easy Allies):

Seems a lot of people who were skeptical beforehand are quite surprised. Maybe I have to give this a try after all...

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That bit is so funny to me. Is fan fiction about real people a thing?

tenor.gif

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I was not in the beta but my 7 year old asked me abotu the game after seeing a commercial. Is it somewhat kid friendly? Too much for him?

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Wow these impressions are a lot more glowing than I was expecting. Seems like the game hasn't had the best showing before now so I'm curious to see full impressions once reviews drop.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
no one in that camp was keeping a level head about this game regardless.

this site's general reaction is to immediately shit on anything GaaS like.

oh yeah for sure. they really fucked up quite a bit in showing this game off, but it never got a fair shake from like half this community once they saw the characters' faces of all things lol.

when the game was still looking kinda rough and early, people were completely writing it off and then acting like a miracle happened when they showed the near-final version and it actually looked like a near-final game.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
What's the campaign like though?
Is it more akin to a traditional campaign we'd normally expect or in GaaS fashion would you have to grind side content and level up your characters before accessing new missions to continue the story?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was dreading doing the bridge over again but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I've had a lot of other demo's and beta's in which I had to do the whole first 60 minute deal all over again going from beta to retail.

Some games do it right with having a playable portion just outside the starting area or mid game or something or just have a mechanics or scenario showcase like Monster Hunter did.
Onboarding needs to be looked at more and more, especially JRPGs that still won't let you save until 2 hours into the game. But that is a rant for another day

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah between this and the Kate Bishop confirmation, I might have to buy it this week. Go figure, I just started up Ultimate Alliance 3 this week so I am playing two different Marvel games. Playing as Ms Marvel there and plan on doing it here too. UA3 is great btw.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The disjointed nature of the beta''s opening definitely hurt. Playing the first couple house last night uninterrupted, I'm enjoying this so much more.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
They beta really did skip over a ton of connective tissue in the narrative. Not just in terms of Kamala, but Thor and others as well. The Thor you see in the full game opening has way better dialog and is a much more realized Thor than what you saw during his brief playable section during the bridge fight.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What weird marketing. It may turn out the single-player is the highlight of this entire package, but all the marketing has really been on the multiplayer.

It's like trying to hype up The Last of Us but focusing HARD on the multiplayer. I mean, you can, but that's not really its best quality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After playing the first couple of missions in the beta, I was very impressed with the presentation and really wanted to like the game, but by the time I got to the ice level, I just wasn't having fun anymore. It felt wrong to have to do combos on grunts as the fucking Hulk. They're supposed to be flying off into the sunset with a flick of his pinky.

The combat felt lame, so all this praise for the thing that appealed to me the most in the first place is making me doubt my decision to ignore this altogether.

I'm a sucker for great presentation, but I'll need to see what reviews say about the combat and such. Keep the impressions coming, I'm curious about that.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ben Moore (Easy Allies):

Seems a lot of people who were skeptical beforehand are quite surprised. Maybe I have to give this a try after all...

Some of us in the beta threads were beating our heads into the wall about the press impressions of the Hulk. Nobody understood how to play the green boy

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
So the single player is actually great? My interest in this game has been piqued again

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious now.

Onboarding needs to be looked at more and more, especially JRPGs that still won't let you save until 2 hours into the game. But that is a rant for another day
As an aside, I really like the idea of demos for JRPGs that cover these first few hours, with your save carrying over to the full game. They did it with Dragon Quest XI on Switch and Trails of Cold Steel 3, and it kills two birds with one stone.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What weird marketing. It may turn out the single-player is the highlight of this entire package, but all the marketing has really been on the multiplayer.

It's like trying to hype up The Last of Us but focusing HARD on the multiplayer. I mean, you can, but that's not really what its best quality.

That's because the multiplayer is what is going to make them money in the end.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ben Moore (Easy Allies):

This doesn't surprise me, it was clear that many people simply didn't pay much attention to the abilities and how varied and thoughtful combat actually seems to be in the game.

It's why anyone that said the combat was shallow immediately got ignored by many because playing on hard or above and it was obvious how much thought you had to put in to playing smart and not just button bashing.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
EDIT: double-post.

I know the multiplayer is where they get "their money", but it really did overshadow the single player aspect of the game.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
What's the campaign like though?
Is it more akin to a traditional campaign we'd normally expect or in GaaS fashion would you have to grind side content and level up your characters before accessing new missions to continue the story?

It's a regular SP campaign. No gatekeeping on any kind on any mission.

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the single player campaign is actually really good! Was not expecting that. I'm very impressed with the game so far. Best super hero game I've played since Arkham and one of the better games I've played so far this year.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
This doesn't surprise me, it was clear that many people simply didn't pay much attention to the abilities and how varied and thoughtful combat actually seems to be in the game.

It's why anyone that said the combat was shallow immediately got ignored by many because playing on hard or above and it was obvious how much thought you had to put in to playing smart and not just button bashing.

Well said.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
aside from the (sometimes harsh) technical issues, i really enjoy the campaign so far. writing is pretty good and i even like the b-movie looking avengers. kamala is the real star in this and making her the main character, was probably the best decision the developers made.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the beta obviously jumped around a bit and left story out. It was also a mulitplayer focused beta that had issues at first. I'll be honest and didn't think the game would be that great based on the dev (CD has always been on the verge of making great games, but not quite there), but the beta changed my mind. I don't think people realize how impressive it is that they basically made a character action game (ie. DmC, GoW) with great comabt and with 6+ characters that play pretty differently...that alone seems huge in scope, not to mention a good solo campaign and multiplayer portion.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I will have to grab it on sale then. I was interested in Kamala's story but wasn't sure about the whole GAAS loot stuff. Since the campaign is good I will get it just for that.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So I played the beta, but only played one mission after getting to the base. Does the full game have you redoing all of that or is it in a different order? Reason I ask is because I thought the general consensus from the beta was that the story was the worst part about this.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well damn just cancelled my pre-order today since the beta didn't sell me at all. Looks like I'm going to give it another go. Been collectively hearing how good it is.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Shaun Escayg's (former Naughty Dog employee and writer of Lost Legacy) role was in this. Honestly he's one of the big reasons I was looking into this game after all those lacklustre showings.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
That is basically her character in the comics. She's a dorky shipper of superheroes.

Indeed. And it's why she is one of my favorite Marvel superheros of all time.

n-l4zUMBY1_Zwd-2g4GCOEpertRJqtak6msPN9dYhHc.jpg

I was not on board with this game whatsoever until now. This looks like this might be DOOM 2016 all over again, where the single player campaign alone is worth full price, and a bunch of us would have been more interested in the game from the outset if they hadn't sidelined the single player in the marketing in favor of the multiplayer/GAAS shit.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
I wonder what Shaun Escayg's (former Naughty Dog employee and writer of Lost Legacy) role was in this. Honestly he's one of the big reasons I was looking into this game after all those lacklustre showings.
He is the creative director and writer. Vince Napoli is the combat gameplay director of God of War and Avengers. CD and Marvel formed a dream team with this game and it shows. I feel kinda vindicated because after doubting the game and falling in love with the beta, I could tell that there was an excellent story there heavily edited to avoid spoilers, at the top of a game loop that is extremely addictive and with a lot of depth.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear! I didn't read the article to avoid spoilers but can we pick our own characters for each level or are they already pre-selected for us?

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked what I played in the beta for the campaign part. The multiplayer stuff wasn't for me, but I was really hoping you could just rush through the campaign and ignore the missions.

Turns out that not only you can, but they encourage you to.

That's all I needed to read. Will definitely play it, eventually.