• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a concrete goal you hope for aside from potentially G checking racially ambiguous POC?

It's undeniably a colloquial term of endearment among minorities (black/latinx) and that reach influences people of other backgrounds. Urban regions were already mentioned as the main "offender" and obviously nothing about that is changing. Do you feel that calling out non-black users of the word perhaps brings you semblance of control?

You say "we" and I know you mean to represent an entire race with that statement but we both know that's far from true.

Excuse me?

Did you just insinuate that me telling people I know for a fact aren't black that they can't use the word nigga is me simply G checking them? It's a term of endearment for black people. Other minorities that don't fit that demographic wanting to "get in on the fun" doesn't make it a term of endearment for them any more than white teens who love rap music using it makes it a term of endearment for them.

My guy, fuck off.

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt say it did. You're making my preference more important to this conversation than I ever did. I never told anyone what they can and cannot say. I only told people that they will have little to no luck telling others what they can and cannot say.
Get your shit straight.
I mean, what purpose is served by even positing it, then?

It's obvious you're feeling some type of way about this thread, which explains your little flippant posts.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
User Banned (1 week): bad faith rhetoric, dismissing concerns about racism, misrepresenting the posts of others
Excuse me?

Did you just insinuate that me telling people I know for a fact aren't black that they can't use the word nigga is me simply G checking them? It's a term of endearment for black people. Other minorities that don't fit that demographic wanting to "get in on the fun" doesn't make it a term of endearment for them any more than white teens who love rap music using it makes it a term of endearment for them.

My guy, fuck off.

You can gatekeep all you want, it's well within your right, but I'm talking about, as you put it, "policing" folks off the strength of a visual impression. What gives you the right to call out, say, a Blake Griffin looking guy who's definitely black and can do/say whatever the fuck he wants? It just goes back to blurred lines and thats why your line of thinking is less and less common in urban metropolitan areas.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean, what purpose is served by even positing it, then?

It's obvious you're feeling some type of way about this thread, which explains your little flippant posts.
I feel that saying poc cant say the n word is a losing battle based on what I've seen living in metropolitan areas. I mentioned my personal preference because I personally choose to never use the word, not only because I never see a use for it, but also as an obvious means of avoiding conflict. I mentioned it because yasuke said it shouldn't ever even be on my lips or something so I figured I'd mention I never say it at all.

People can say what they want, that was kind of my original point. People of color will continue to use the word, no matter how black people feel about it. You're the one who turned it into me policing others.

Tell me more about my unspoken "feelings" though, since you know so much about me personally.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can gatekeep all you want

Comparing a black person telling non-black people not to use the word nigga to gatekeeping should be a bannable offense.

What the fuck?

Nvm the fact I never said anything about calling out mixed people like Blake Griffin. I'm concerned with non-black individuals. But you knew that.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'm sorry did you just
You can gatekeep all you want, it's well within your right, but I'm talking about, as you put it, "policing" folks off the strength of a visual impression. What gives you the right to call out, say, a Blake Griffin looking guy who's definitely black and can do/say whatever the fuck he wants? It just goes back to blurred lines and thats why your line of thinking is less and less common in urban metropolitan areas.

Gatekeeping... The N-word. I've seen it all.

A black person being accused of gatekeeping the N-word. Amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
She's a dork with a history of anti-Black sentiment. This was an attention grabbing stunt by said dork. Next infraction we're calling the homegirls up to get some core shaking going.
Yup.

Black people don't have problem with afro-latinx people dropping the N-word. It's when you FREQUENTLY drop anti-black messaging, and deny the "afro" in your heritage, then turn around and wanna shout the N-word, like we're all goodie.

Have her cake and eat it-ass punk.

So wack.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Comparing a black person telling non-black people not to use the word nigga should be a bannable offense.

What the fuck?

It's definitely gatekeeping, perfectly appropriate gatekeeping but gatekeeping nonetheless. There doesn't have to be a negative association with the word in this context.

(not me, just a tweet I saw that puts the word in the context I'm referring to)

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I feel that saying poc cant say the n word is a losing battle based on what I've seen living in metropolitan areas. I mentioned my personal preference because I personally choose to never use the word, not only because I never see a use for it, but also as an obvious means of avoiding conflict. I mentioned it because yasuke said it shouldn't ever even be on my lips or something so I figured I'd mention I never say it at all.

People can say what they want, that was kind of my original point. People of color will continue to use the word, no matter how black people feel about it. You're the one who turned it into me policing others.

Tell me more about my unspoken "feelings" though, since you know so much about me personally.

So what is your point? That black people should not complain because it won't do anything? That seems kinda weird when you say you don't say it to avoid conflict.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Era likes positioning things as whites versus minorities but minorities are also frequently racist to each other.

It's closer to a free for all at times and the economic status that individuals were raised in and their community also factors into it

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely gatekeeping, perfectly appropriate gatekeeping but gatekeeping nonetheless. There doesn't have to be a negative association with the word in this context.

(not me, just a tweet I saw that puts the word in the context I'm referring to)

Pretending not to know that gatekeeping colloquially has a negative connotation on Era of all places is indeed a strategy.

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
Blame me, cuz I don't give a fuck, and it's time y'all admit you don't either. She's obviously Afro-Latina. Why the fuck would I care? (Disclaimer: I'm from Harlem and have Caribbean/ Afro-Latin blood) This shit is so fake, it's not even funny.
Well...if you're going to admit you're part of the problem, I guess I'll believe you motherfucker. Also, fuck outta here with the bolded

Oct 27, 2017
United States
So what is your point? That black people should not complain because it won't do anything? That seems kinda weird when you say you don't say it to avoid conflict.
The word has evolved. I dont say the word because I dont believe in it and I'm not a poc but that's aside from the point. Read my earlier posts if you want to understand how I feel the word is used in inner cities now. Not SUPPOSED to be used but IS used. It's easily observable if you live in these areas. I'm tiring of debating the nature of reality here, though. People can deny that it is accepted that poc use the word openly in metro areas if they want.
I'm out.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Pretending not to know that gatekeeping colloquially has a negative connotation on Era of all places is indeed a strategy.
??? Do you have trouble looking at things in context?

You're presenting your ideal scenario, where non-black people saying the word is frowned up, they get side eyes, put in place, etc.

I'm asking you what do you expect to accomplish realistically given the reality (term of endearment, racial ambiguity, urban populations) that progress towards your ideal continues to move in the opposite direction.

Bro you are using it as a negative though...

Black people CAN gatekeep this word though. That isn't anything negative I'm saying. If "gatekeeping" is inherently perceived negative, but placed in the context of this conversation, how are you still perceiving my statement as negative?

Do you think I'm saying that black people are hogging the word for themselves and should open the doors??? That's fucking stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
Also the same woman who was like where is our black panther. What about us Latinos where is ours? But then is all " my dads Afro Latino". So is you, or is you not a Nigga girl? Make it make sense. That's clear as day anti blackness. And from a lead from a popular show that stemmed from a popular telenovela and you're Carmen San Diego? And you're worried about y'all turn and you are the turn? Girl... lol sis make it make sense?? I refuse to make excuses for her. She's basic
Thank youuuuuuu!

Girl is confused, and it's fucking annoying. Pick one Gina. That's the beauty of Afro-Latinx, you actually have a choice (if you're light-skinned enough) in picking up or relinquishing your blackness. Can't have both, fam.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
This thread is generating a large number of reports and is temporarily locked while we go through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.