• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How Excited are you for the Return of the Avatar Cinematic Universe

• 5 - Very, tickets pre-ordered

Votes: 136 14.6%
  • 4 - Looks very promissing I am in

Votes: 285 30.5%
  • 3 - I might check it out...

Votes: 166 17.8%
  • 2 - Not really feeling it, but maybe more information will turn the tables

Votes: 132 14.1%
  • 1 - I'm out.

Votes: 57 6.1%
  • 0 - Pocahontas 2: The Dark Unobtainium

Votes: 158 16.9%

• Total voters

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
This feels like a DigitalFoundry thread but for a movie and if it was *entirely* speculation and no actual DF video.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
So fucking hyped to finally see some real big spectacle in theaters. Between top gun and this we eating.

Btw who tf is the composer on here. That track is beautiful

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason for all the apparent human / Navi cooperation here? Haven't seen the original film in forever, but I thought it basically ended with a few rogue humans either dying or turning into Na'vi with the human invasion forces having been repelled.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for those who love the franchise. Outside of the 3D effects, the first movie was mediocre imo. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great...it was solid.

I started the trailer but realized it's not for me. Have fun!

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Yea idk. Just watched the trailer and it did nothing for me. CGI looks great but eh. Still will probably take an edible and see it in IMAX once just to see pretty colors.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer seemed almost specifically designed to mimic the teaser trailer from the original movie, and that teaser wasn't all that great either, it wasn't till the full trailer that came out literally a month before the movie that the feeling of the movie being a special theater experience became clear. Its fine not to like this trailer or like the movies in general, but this teaser clearly wasn't designed to wow people but get people talking.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Looks real nice in hdr.

So, that human kid is cgi to and we're meant to not see it right ? I mean he's perfect but you can kinda feel it.

Sam Bridges

May 3, 2022
This isn't the gotcha you think it is. Even if the water is real or some cgi elements look real that doesn't mean that the scenes as a whole look real. It is very obviously a cgi environment with mostly cgi characters, you can think it looks good but it does not look real.

But what does "real" even mean in this sense? We're talking about a fictional alien moon orbiting a far-away fictional planet. Does it not look "real" because it doesn't look like earth? Because the inhabitants don't look like human people?

The whole point is that it's supposed to look surreal, strange; alien, even. I dunno, if I hopped on an intergalactic voyage for five years of cryo sleep (more like a fifth of tequila and an ass kicking huehuehue amirite) and hopped off the ship just to see what looked a lot like rural Ohio or something, I'd be pretty bummed.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
But what does "real" even mean in this sense? We're talking about a fictional alien moon orbiting a far-away fictional planet. Does it not look "real" because it doesn't look like earth? Because the inhabitants don't look like human people?

The whole point is that it's supposed to look surreal, strange; alien, even. I dunno, if I hopped on an intergalactic voyage for five years of cryo sleep (more like a fifth of tequila and an ass kicking huehuehue amirite) and hopped off the ship just to see what looked a lot like rural Ohio or something, I'd be pretty bummed.
It's not that it doesn't look like earth, it's not earth, it shouldn't look like it, the problem for me is that it all looks artificial, it feels more like a very high quality video game cut scene.
Take Interstellar for example, I know they're not actually on a water world orbiting a black hole but it still feels like a real place or the different worlds in Dune or Guardians of the Galaxy. These places convince me they are real places, Pandora does not, I can't exactly explain why that is, it's just what happens, I look at it and it all feels fake.

And it's not like I have to believe something is real to enjoy it, I like anime, cartoons, video games etc. were nothing looks real but Avatar is too realistic to pass as an animated movie but not realistic enough to feel like live action, it's just weird and off putting.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason for all the apparent human / Navi cooperation here? Haven't seen the original film in forever, but I thought it basically ended with a few rogue humans either dying or turning into Na'vi with the human invasion forces having been repelled.
Those aren't Na'vi with the humans. Those are Avatars being driven by humans. One of them is almost certainly Quaritch.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The teaser gave me "I gotta see this in theaters" vibes but the question is 3D or not.

Sam Bridges

May 3, 2022
Those aren't Na'vi with the humans. Those are Avatars being driven by humans. One of them is almost certainly Quaritch.

It depends on what part of the trailer you're talking about. Some scenes in the beginning of the trailer, yeah, those appear to be more avatars, but they also seem to be at conflict with the "wild" looking humans in the primitive clothing and basic breathing masks. In the end, that's Jake hugging one of those "wild" humans while talking about family being a fortress, and there are at least a few scenes where it's obvious some humans have sided with the Na''vi.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on what part of the trailer you're talking about. Some scenes in the beginning of the trailer, yeah, those appear to be more avatars, but they also seem to be at conflict with the "wild" looking humans in the primitive clothing and basic breathing masks. In the end, that's Jake hugging one of those "wild" humans while talking about family being a fortress, and there are at least a few scenes where it's obvious some humans have sided with the Na''vi.
Nah that 'wild' human is Jake and Neytiri's adopted human son 'Spider' that was left on the base when the humans left Pandora years back.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Okay? That's not the only one that showed up in the trailers and doesn't really change my point.
Then I'm not sure what you're talking about. Nowhere in the trailer does it show Na'vi working with humans or Na'vi at war with each other? Honestly not sure what you're referring to.

The opening shows Quaritch and (likely) Waynefleet from the first film driving Avatar's almost certainly infiltrating the Na'vi/Jake's home hunting for Jake - where they encounter Jake's kids (incl. Spider). Then Jake and his family look to have been forced out and venture out to the Reef tribe.

Then we see the human RDA base as well where Quaritch and also possibly Waynefleet are walking amongst the base.

Not sure what you're referring to after that?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched the 3D version of the trailer with my Quest. Despite the low resolution from the headset it looks amazing. The 3D in the underwater shots especially was stunning.
A couple of shots go to a whole other level with the depth, like the shot with the circular rocks

Can't wait!

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer is honestly magical.

Holy shit i can't remember the last time a movie trailer got to me that good.

Need a legit 4K version please.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer is honestly magical.

Holy shit i can't remember the last time a movie trailer got to me that good.

Need a legit 4K version please.

The music and the alluring shots of this alien world really made for a beautiful trailer. The first movie, despite whatever misgivings people had with its story, did such a great job at immersing you into another world and this looks to up the ante.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
The music and the alluring shots of this alien world really made for a beautiful trailer. The first movie, despite whatever misgivings people had with its story, did such a great job at immersing you into another world and this looks to up the ante.

Yeah i absolutely agree. It fulfills this childlike fascination of film where there's a promise of transporting you somehwere not even possible in real life. Like a dream fully realized. And it delivers wholeheartedly.

I'm so damn grateful we're getting these movies.