• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How Excited are you for the Return of the Avatar Cinematic Universe

• 5 - Very, tickets pre-ordered

Votes: 136 14.6%
  • 4 - Looks very promissing I am in

Votes: 285 30.5%
  • 3 - I might check it out...

Votes: 166 17.8%
  • 2 - Not really feeling it, but maybe more information will turn the tables

Votes: 132 14.1%
  • 1 - I'm out.

Votes: 57 6.1%
  • 0 - Pocahontas 2: The Dark Unobtainium

Votes: 158 16.9%

• Total voters

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
After rewatching the film for the first time since its release, i'm really excited

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That sure looked like a hollywood movie.
I wonder at what point we can just consider movies like these under the animation category.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Would Cameron bother with an entire trilogy if he didn't have a pretty good idea for the story, though? I guess we'll see.
I'm sure he does know, but yeah whether it's good or not remains to be seen. If anything I'm expecting at least on the same level as the original. Which is perfectly acceptable, just that you expect someone of his caliber to push the envelope on script and performance from actors.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
It looks fucking amazing!

I wonder who the human running around with the Na'vi is. Looks like towards the end of the trailer like it might but one of Jakes and Netiris kids but not sure. I really can't wait!!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Many of them are named either after latin or old language uses, or a person. Unobtainium would be like if we called a resource from the air "airiunum" or something from the ground "groundium".

It is terrible, lazy writing and this is an odd hill to die on.
Oh yea?

We got Americium for America, and Europium for Europe.

That sure looked like a hollywood movie.
I wonder at what point we can just consider movies like these under the animation category.

Most of it is animation. I guess it straddles the line because of its use of mocap and because there are actually live action actors and sets in the movie.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I'm aware.

They were named after places/people. There are no elements called "soilium" or "waterium". Actual thought went into the names if ever so slightly.
lol ok

p.s. the only odd hill to die on is to keep bringing something up that is silly at worst.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... at the moment I have zero interest in a movie (about blue people) taking itself totally seriously.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I know this is made to be seen in the cinemas, but I highly doubt I'll see it before it gets on Disney+.
Not really feeling it so far.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

But it can't be an adopted kid, right? Humans can't naturally breathe Pandora's air.

If I remember correctly, Jake's DNA was used to grow his Na'vi host body. If that's the case, it's likely that some traits of his human phenotype exist in his sperm (?) and can be passed on. Which means some of his offspring can be born looking pretty close to human (especially because in one shot it looks like Jake has two kids, the other looking more Na'vi).

EDIT: Oh wait, I just looked again. He's wearing one of those oxygen things.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
What the hell are these big blockbusters with deep plots that people are watching for the last decade that somehow Avatar gets singled out on.

All the MCU garbage has straight forward piss poor plotting with mcguffins all over the place but somehow Avatar cannot match the wonder standards of all the comic shit that gets manufactured everyday of the week.

I hope unlike the cape shit movies, Cameron can bring some of his action expertise to the table and direct some cool coherent action sequences like Aliens T2 etc..

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But it can't be an adopted kid, right? Humans can't naturally breathe Pandora's air.

If I remember correctly, Jake's DNA was used to grow his Na'vi host body. If that's the case, it's likely that some traits of his human phenotype exist in his sperm (?) and can be passed on. Which means some of his offspring can be born looking pretty close to human (especially because in one shot it looks like Jake has two kids, the other looking more Na'vi).
The human kid is wearing a breathing mask in every scene he shows up.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
I'm excited. It'll be fun at minimum, and Cameron on a sequel is a special beast.

Also for as hamfisted as it was I have come to appreciate just how unapologetic Avatar and really Cameron movies in general are with there politics. Avatar for all its flaws actually has things to say. which is much more then can be said about almost every other major blockbuster ever.

I'll take another unsubtle sledgehammer to the face cause it's actually trying.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell are these big blockbusters with deep plots that people are watching for the last decade that somehow Avatar gets singled out on.

All the MCU garbage has straight forward piss poor plotting with mcguffins all over the place but somehow Avatar cannot match the wonder standards of all the comic shit that gets manufactured everyday of the week.

I hope unlike the cape shit movies, Cameron can bring some of his action expertise to the table and direct some cool coherent action sequences like Aliens T2 etc..
Well for one, the MCU has vastly more compelling stories because people actually care about the characters in the story.

Both Terminator films and Aliens had characters we cared about. They had arcs. I'm not aware of anyone claiming MCU films have deep plots. It's people flying though the air and shit.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Incredible trailer. Right in the feels.

Man, what an incredibly boring trailer.
Right after one another.

Resetera gif.

I really dug this on the big screen, saw Dr. Strange twice in 3D IMAX. This is going to be bonkers visually. Cameron sure knows how to present some incredible shots.
Good music, well done trailer.
The first one was still the best 3D experience I had in the theaters.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Hope we get more than a Palpatine explanation for this dude returning to life.

In hindsight, that award was pretty wack lol
I imagine it will involve the way they communicate "storing" him or something.

I'm curious as well. There is zero way it gets as bad as "Well he's back".

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

First Avatar had very good action already, no worries there.

Oct 25, 2017
Similar reaction to the trailer as to the first film: It's gorgeous, and I feel absolutely zero emotional response to it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

I think a lot of it is a holdover from when the first movie came out, and a lot of the convenient criticisms that existed at the time but, imo, were pretty surface level. But as I said in the other thread, it's really hard for me to hold on to some of those criticisms in a world where the MCU (and the DCU to a lesser extent) exists. And then you realize, damn, when the first Avatar came out the MCU as we know it wasn't really a thing yet, as the first Iron Man film had only come out the year before. We're really getting the sequel to one of the biggest Blockbuster films of all time over a decade later and in a much different cinematic landscape. That alone is crazy to me. The standard for a big blockbuster action film is so different now (I'd argue in some ways the standard was higher circa 2009).

It kind of reminds me of all the crap Watchmen got, but I'm not opening that can of worms...

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Many of them are named either after latin or old language uses, or a person. Unobtainium would be like if we called a resource from the air "airiunum" or something from the ground "groundium".

Cameron did not make up this term. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
My assumption was always that the company and/or geologists who discovered it on Pandora named it half as a joke, half as a fulfillment of an always wished for but forever out of reach discovery.

Oct 26, 2017

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Lost my virginity after a screening of the first Avatar, so I'm pumped to see what Avatar 2 brings...

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
www.youtube.com

Avatar 2 Way of Water Teaser 60fps

Avatar 2 Way of Water Teaser 60fps

nope-the-office.gif

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Your argument is literally these elements that are named after a language I don't understand but are also arbitrary are so much better than these modern elements that are based on languages I do understand. That's a salient point to you...

So if it was unobtanium in french or latin you'd have no issue? Man...

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your argument is literally these elements that are named after a language I don't understand but are also arbitrary are so much better than these modern elements that are based on languages I do understand. That's a salient point to you...

So if it was unobtanium in french or latin you'd have no issue? Man...
No I'd still have issue.

Why are you folks so worked up about this? Avatar is not a perfect film.

Relax.