• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it has to do with all the corporate, mass produced fandom we see today. I live in Orlando and go to Disney pretty regularly, and the number of people I see who have to throw on some random Marvel or Star Wars shirt before going to the park is insane.

I've never understood fandom like that, as I've never felt the need to walk around blasting my preferences in people's faces. But, I appreciate it in its natural form, e.g. someone walking around in a shirt they got in a promotion or at an event or something.

So back to Avatar: I see a soulless, very blah product. And I see that they are investing a ton of money to make this series a success. So when I see people on here championing some very bland franchise as if it's the most exciting thing in the world, I'm completely flabbergasted. I literally cannot empathize with that position.

If the movie comes out and is enjoyable and fun, great. But I'm not going to sit back and act as though the Avatar franchise is anything more than an investment for a film studio, or that it's some force of nature that will change art as we know it.

To me, it would be like people being super excited about a new phone when the last model was just a generic, average phone. It doesn't make sense in my brain.

It just feels like people want something, anything to be a fan of today.

I'd argue the opposite tbh, yeah people like to follow entertaining media. But I'd say the tribalism around media franchises more often results in people wanting something to hate on.

As for Avatar, I think the critical and commercial success suggests it's anything but bland.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it has to do with all the corporate, mass produced fandom we see today. I live in Orlando and go to Disney pretty regularly, and the number of people I see who have to throw on some random Marvel or Star Wars shirt before going to the park is insane.

I've never understood fandom like that, as I've never felt the need to walk around blasting my preferences in people's faces. But, I appreciate it in its natural form, e.g. someone walking around in a shirt they got in a promotion or at an event or something.

So back to Avatar: I see a soulless, very blah product. And I see that they are investing a ton of money to make this series a success. So when I see people on here championing some very bland franchise as if it's the most exciting thing in the world, I'm completely flabbergasted. I literally cannot empathize with that position.

If the movie comes out and is enjoyable and fun, great. But I'm not going to sit back and act as though the Avatar franchise is anything more than an investment for a film studio, or that it's some force of nature that will change art as we know it.

To me, it would be like people being super excited about a new phone when the last model was just a generic, average phone. It doesn't make sense in my brain.

I, too, like to visit Disney regularly and snarl at people enjoying corporate products.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry, but this is such a nonsensical argument. For Avatar of all things. These movies are pretty much solely going to exist because James Cameron wanted to make them, not because a studio had been pushing for them, or because people have been clamoring for them. You yourself have made the argument nobody cares or wants more Avatar shit. Think about that for a moment. And of course it's a an investment for a film studio, what major film production isn't? What point do you think you're making?

You don't like Avatar? That's fine. Go ahead my friend. You don't need to make shit up to justify how you feel about this stuff.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It looks great. I'm thinking stills won't do it justice and need to see it in motion.

How the heck were these leaked?

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The visuals are, as expected, great.

I still don't like Avatar but I'll give the second film a chance. I didn't hate the first film so I'm willing to see where they go with this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
???

There's already an entire Pandora section there.

The Avatar gift shop at DAK hasn't been nearly as popular as some of the other gift shops like for Star Wars, since the land came out so long after the movie and the cultural resonance faded for a good while. But now with fresh new Avatars coming out and looking sweet, they will have new merch ideas and sales will be hopping.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I find it consistently amazing to think that the highest-grossing movies of all time are almost exclusively the 5th/6th/23rd/etc entries in enormous established media empires authored by dozens/hundreds of people over decades with huge pre-existing fanbases... except #1 and #3 which are just ideas that one guy came up with and thought would be cool to make a movie about (he was right!).

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
How many movies feature settings as notable as Pandora again?
Well, now you're talking about the trimmings when I'm talking about the substance. Criticisms of the film's visual style--which I'm not a fan of either, for the record--are separate from its pedestrian ideas, which is what I'm talking about. It's Ferngully. It's Dances With Wolves on another planet. Nothing interesting is done with its take on "indigenous peoples and their world attacked by imperialist, capitalist forces". It's worn and cynical.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but this is such a nonsensical argument. For Avatar of all things. These movies are pretty much solely going to exist because James Cameron wanted to make them, not because a studio had been pushing for them, or because people have been clamoring for them. You yourself have made the argument nobody cares or wants more Avatar shit. Think about that for a moment. And of course it's a an investment for a film studio, what major film production isn't? What point do you think you're making?

You don't like Avatar? That's fine. Go ahead my friend. You don't need to make shit up to justify how you feel about this stuff.

I'd also add to this, in any other circumstance, if a film makes as much or close to what Avatar made, there would have been a huge corporate push to milk the series as hard and fast as it can.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Well, now you're talking about the trimmings when I'm talking about the substance. Criticisms of the film's visual style--which I'm not a fan of either, for the record--are separate from its pedestrian ideas, which is what I'm talking about. It's Ferngully. It's Dances With Wolves on another planet. Nothing interesting is done with its take on "indigenous peoples and their world attacked by imperialist, capitalist forces". It's worn and cynical.

Well, to be fair...of the two movies you just listed as having identical themes that Avatar ripped, the youngest one is Ferngully. Ferngully released in 1992. Almost two decades before Avatar released.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Jett or Sculli owes me an explanation of how army man with big knife is back in this one. I am owed!

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Googly eyes aren't doing it for me in that first screencap. I understand why they made that choice in the first movie, but the improved fidelity here isn't doing them any favors.... like the hyper-realistic Spongebob eyes or something.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the doubt, though. If there's one thing James Cameron definitely isn't known for it's making good sequels. Now if you'll excuse me I'm just going to take this big sip of water before pulling up a list of Cameron's notable films...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well, now you're talking about the trimmings when I'm talking about the substance
Avatar as a film literally wouldn't work if they didn't put in as much as they did to establish a sense of place. Pandora isn't trimming. It's the main focus of the film. It's the glue that holds everything together. On top of the writing, acting, cinematography, etc.

Criticisms of the film's visual style--which I'm not a fan of either, for the record--are separate from its pedestrian ideas, which is what I'm talking about. It's Ferngully. It's Dances With Wolves on another planet.
That is a very short list of movies that share surface level similarities to Avatar in the broadest possible sense. So again I ask, where are all these films again?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The irony of you regurgitating these 10 year old criticisms and calling Avatar unoriginal is freaking hilarious.

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
People only bought the Blu-ray because of the 3D, no one actually liked the movie. Come on now.

People had to buy Panasonic TVs or BD Players to get the exclusive Avatar 3D BD, seems like these discs were scalped for up to 400$, lol.

www.google.com

Panasonic officially launches exclusive Avatar Blu-ray 3D pack-in, discs hit $400+ on eBay

Panasonic has finally made official several pack-in deals already in effect at retailers both physical and online that add Blu-ray 3D players, glasses and most notably, an exclusive copy of Avatar on Blu-ray 3D (also available to existing owners via a mail-in offer, owners of the Extended...

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure how so many people can be so flabbergasted that Avatar has fans. Am I the only one who remembers the wave of bloggers in 2009 who wanted to live on Pandora? I swear to god, there were news reports about post-Avatar depression. This thing was a phenomenon.

Of course, it dropped off the earth after a year because everything does now.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure how so many people can be so flabbergasted that Avatar has fans. Am I the only one who remembers the wave of bloggers in 2009 who wanted to live on Pandora? I swear to god, there were news reports about post-Avatar depression. This thing was a phenomenon.

Of course, it dropped off the earth after a year because everything does now.

I can attest to this.

I'm reminded of something Lindsey Ellis said in her video on Titanic, specifically about why none of the copycat films that came out after could replicate its success or cultural relevance (ahem...Pearl Harbor):

Cameron made you care about the ship.

I feel that Avatar, as a visual film, is just as much about showing us the world of Pandora and getting us invested in it, than it is about even the characters. It's why having such a simple story with beats most audiences would already be familiar with was actually a smart choice, in my opinion.

I remember leaving the theater after my second time seeing the movie, still not caring much about the characters...but absolutely enthralled by the world, and wanting to spend more time with it in a way that I, until that point, had mostly only experienced with Fantasy novels. To me, that's the triumph of Avatar.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It looks amazing but unfortunately the character designs do nothing for me.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Well, to be fair...of the two movies you just listed as having identical themes that Avatar ripped, the youngest one is Ferngully. Ferngully released in 1992. Almost two decades before Avatar released.
Too bad with two decades to expand on and add nuance to Ferngully's themes, we wound up with something on about on the same thematic level. But then, Cameron is a creator of "spectacles". Ideas aren't his forte and never have been.

Avatar as a film literally wouldn't work if they didn't put in as much as they did to establish a sense of place. Pandora isn't trimming. It's the main focus of the film. It's the glue that holds everything together. On top of the writing, acting, cinematography, etc.
The idea is to suggest a fertile, alien environment and the natives peoples' unusual relationship with it, à la European colonizers' perspective on the "strangeness" of the Native Americans and the new world in which they dwelt. That's fine, but when the look of the alien world is so very kitsch and we aren't given more than a cursory view of how things actually work on the planet and how they inform the lives of its inhabitants, it doesn't give us very much to chew on that hasn't been similarly expressed in a crapton of other films about the evils of imperialism. Indeed, the film's themes seems no more than a pretext for taking us on a theme park ride showcasing an exotic, artificial environment, with all the stimulus to imagination that implies.

That is a very short list of movies that share surface level similarities to Avatar in the broadest possible sense. So again I ask, where are all these films again?
In today's CG film factories, there's no shortage of movies which seek to create detailed alien worlds. Blade Runner 2049, Dune, The Hobbit, Ready Player One, ad nauseam. I get that a lot of the creatives in Hollywood these days look to the popularity of video games for inspiration, with much emphasis put on visceral world-building.

The irony of you regurgitating these 10 year old cricisms and calling Avatar unoriginal is freaking hilarious.
If it makes you feel better, I was posting these criticisms of the film online back in 2009 when it was first released. But then, no one hypes up my internet musings as the greatest, most dazzling thing since the discovery of fire, do they? At that, I don't really even care for blockbuster films, Avatar included. This whole thing started simply because I stated that there are countless films out there which explore their ideas in far more interesting ways. I prefer to save my intellectual bandwidth for those films.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch it but I still can't believe Cameron put all his eggs in this basket lmao

I had a good time with the first.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for it to come out and have people post images of it's mostly positive review scores to shut down any sort of slightly negative discourse around the film.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The idea is to suggest a fertile, alien environment and the natives peoples' unusual relationship with it, à la European colonizers' perspective on the "strangeness" of the Native Americans and the new world in which they dwelt. That's fine, but when the look of the alien world is so very kitsch and we aren't given more than a cursory view of how things actually work on the planet and how they inform the lives of its inhabitants, it doesn't give us very much to chew on that hasn't been similarly expressed in a crapton of other films about the evils of imperialism.
Now you're just being disingenuous.

Very few of which are as memorable or engrossing as Pandora . 🤷‍♂️
In today's CG film factories, there's no shortage of movies which seek to create detailed alien worlds. Blade Runner 2049, Dune, The Hobbit, Ready Player One, ad nauseam
Feel like it says so much that despite CGI environments being incredibly commonplace in the film industry that very few movies have managed to have locations as engrossing as Pandora. Which people are still talking about ten years after the fact. As I said, Pandora isn't just the setting, the film quite literally would not work without it.

Last edited:

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie is going to be mega trash, because Cameron hasn't made a good one since T2. Arguably T1. But oh well, the masses are going to eat it up and it's going to look pretty.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I would so love to hear some more essential commentary from people who are supposedly uninterested in the IP.

The-Office-Michael-Scott-Hands-Listening.jpg

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Now you're just being disingenuous.

Very few of which are as memorable or engrossing as Pandora . 🤷‍♂️
I don't make disingenuous posts. I call 'em as I see 'em. The fact that we're never given any insight into how the physics work on Pandora leaves a whole lot unexplained and glossed over.

Feel like it says so much that despite CGI environments being incredibly commonplace in the film industry that very few movies have managed to have locations as engrossing as Pandora. Which people are still talking about ten years after the fact.
Admittedly, Cameron did enjoy the privilege of, at the time, the biggest budget in film history and the freedom of not having his vision limited by having to adhere to a pre-existing property. Don't get me wrong, I agree that Cameron is better than most in his industry at what he does. It's just that I view that more as a commentary on the creative bankruptcy of Hollywood these days than I do Cameron's talents as a filmmaker. IMO, he certainly has too cynical an approach to the medium to appeal much to me.

I can't wait for it to come out and have people post images of it's mostly positive review scores to shut down any sort of slightly negative discourse around the film.
Can you not stand for other people to not like the same things you do?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Can you not stand for other people to not like the same things you do?
Absolutely not. People have a right to their opinion on a movie. Showing them the movie is popular and loved is completely redundant to the discourse around the film. People already know it's one of the most popular films of all time. It's just another form of shitposting an attempt at a "gotcha" moment.