• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I must have some insane bias (due to not liking the first film) but I just don't think these look great.

I didn't like the first film but think these do look good

My personal problem is broadly, CGI eye candy is everywhere, my tastes have changed in the last 13 odd years and my downtime to go see 3 hour odd fantasy epics is less

I'd rather go see and support stuff that gives me narrative satisfaction and the urge to see the continuing adventures of Jake Sully is low

I don't doubt it will do well though and Cameron is an interesting world building guy. I'm just sad this venture has tied him up for many years to the exclusion of other stories

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If Avatar had nothing to say, I don't know what movie does.
It had something to say the problem was that what it had to say was very on the nose. Conquering other people's land to exploit it and steal their resources and destroying their way of life is bad. Then they added a white savior.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At least in these stills it doesn't look like that much of an upgrade over the first movie, I guess it's a testament to how well it has held up.
How about the writing? I hope it is improved over the first Avatar. The first movie was a pretty picture with nothing to say.
lol

Avatar asked like the minimal amount of attention and you still couldn't figure it out?

Looks amazing. Is Neytiri pregnant?

I don't think that's Neytiri.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
If that is Neytiri she legit looks different

Edit: I'm just gonna watch it simply to see how far CGI has really come if it's not attached to a movie with a tight schedule. No amount of unlimited CGI money is gonna save you from a tight schedule if it comes to CGI. Plus I trust that this movie is actually gonna have art direction.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I didn't like the writing in the movie, but Avatar couldn't have been more direct about it's message.

Saying that the movie had nothing to say is just plain wrong lmao
Might have been direct about it, but its ideas could've been inscribed on the head of a pin. Not exactly profound.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
But seriously who is excited for this movie? The first was widely panned aside from "looks good".

Honestly I was expecting photorealistic CG this time around. The alien skin just looks too fake and poorly lit. Environments still look good though.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
One of the cutscenes for the first movie has 20 million views on youtube in a year. You tell me.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fanbase for Avatar. I don't think I have ever heard any acquaintance mention being a fan of it. In fact, it never gets brought up at all outside of discussions of 3D movie technology or box office rankings.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
I am, I liked the first one 🤷‍♂️
But did you love it?

I guess I'm more confused by the decade+ gap between the first movie and this. I just can't shake the feeling that Avatar did its numbers due to the novelty of the CG and 3D. This sequel doesn't have the momentum coming soon after the original, and does anyone even care about 3D anymore?

The whole thing really baffles me.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fanbase for Avatar. I don't think I have ever heard any acquaintance mention being a fan of it. In fact, it never gets brought up at all outside of discussions of 3D movie technology or box office rankings.

It was the best-selling movie ever made for a decade (and will probably pick that title back when it's re-released in theaters).

Of course it has fans.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How about the writing? I hope it is improved over the first Avatar. The first movie was a pretty picture with nothing to say.

I'm going to be the charitable one in this thread and assume you meant nothing NEW or perhaps INTERESTING to say about it's core theme. If that's the case I broadly agree with you.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Might have been direct about it, but its ideas could've been inscribed on the head of a pin. Not exactly profound.
A movie with nothing to say.

I wish more blockbusters had as nothing to say as Avatar.

But seriously who is excited for this movie? The first was widely panned aside from "looks good".
lord people here truly make their own realities up in their head.

agi2Yfw.png

Aekk9TE.png

XFMtW5G.png

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this could do 4 bazjilion dollars and we still hear the "does anyone care about avatar?" takes when 3 comes out.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This film is gonna melt minds.
FRlEtKkVcAAv_tE

I know the Navi are a hodgepodge of "native/tribal" cultural artifacts and references audiences would recognize, and aren't representative of any real-world culture or racial group (because...well, they're aliens)...

But, I don't think I've ever seen microbraids rendered like this before. 😍

Neytiri, sis, who's your braider?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So pissed at this shit, dude was THE variety blockbuster guy and then he got obsessed with this water/Avatar stuff. Cameron probably won't make another movie outside Avatars until his death.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
A movie with nothing to say.

I wish more blockbusters had as nothing to say as Avatar.

lord people here truly make their own realities up in their head.

agi2Yfw.png

Aekk9TE.png

XFMtW5G.png

So sorry I don't actively track the RT/MC score of movies I don't like?

Talk to anyone who walked out of that theater, and most of them will say, "huh? It was definitely a movie."

Outside of places like this where I swear people are just searching for the next corporate product to latch onto, no one cares about Avatar.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Something about these guys just really unsettles me. Like, it activates some primal fight or flight instinct in my brain. It happened with the original movie and it's happening again here.

I just don't like looking at them.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord the discussion around these films is insufferable, I don't know what it is about Avatar that draws this level of revisionist history and critique. Don't get me wrong, there are things you could improve about the original, but it was a huge critical and commercial success overall. Not every film has to be some elevated genre piece, and Avatar did a great job at what it set out to do.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Talk to anyone who walked out of that theater, and most of them will say, "huh? It was definitely a movie."

Outside of places like this where I swear people are just searching for the next corporate product to latch onto, no one cares about Avatar.
Oh you're going to double down? lol. Truly, a movie that made nearly 3 billion dollars through natural, growing word of mouth means nobody likes it. Where I live everybody liked it at the time. There, now both of us have shared meaningless personal information.

I'm sure people at large don't care much about the next Avatar movie. You know why? Because they don't even know it exists. Because average people watch a movie, enjoy it, and then move on with their lives.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
this could do 4 bazjilion dollars and we still hear the "does anyone care about avatar?" takes when 3 comes out.
From the same place where someone unironically stated, "It didn't seem like they knew how to animate the faces in Arcane." Some of the takes you can read here sometimes when it comes to popular media seem contrarian for the sake of it rather than having literally any basis in reality.

We're talking about literally one of the most profitable movies of all time. That was so engrossing that multiple news sites reported on the fact that a notable number of people were experiencing depression after seeing the movie if only because they wanted to live in it. That's how insane the reception to this movie got.

Like, it's ok to not share the majority opinion about a thing. That doesn't make your feelings invalid. It's actually gonna be ok. YOU, yes, YOU, didn't think it was all that. That's ok. A vast majority disagreed. And the reasonable response is to shrug and move on. Instead of pretending that people didn't think much about the movie that managed to become the most profitable of all time? And again, it can't be reiterated enough, it's ok that you didn't like it all that much. It's ok. There's no need to pull a giant leap of revisionist history.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
*Watching the scene where the US military does 9/11 to a space country for oil*

This movie has nothing to say.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
Good lord the discussion around these films is insufferable, I don't know what it is about Avatar that draws this level of revisionist history and critique. Don't get me wrong, there are things you could improve about the original, but it was a huge critical and commercial success overall. Not every film has to be some elevated genre piece, and Avatar did a great job at what it set out to do.
For me, it has to do with all the corporate, mass produced fandom we see today. I live in Orlando and go to Disney pretty regularly, and the number of people I see who have to throw on some random Marvel or Star Wars shirt before going to the park is insane.

I've never understood fandom like that, as I've never felt the need to walk around blasting my preferences in people's faces. But, I appreciate it in its natural form, e.g. someone walking around in a shirt they got in a promotion or at an event or something.

So back to Avatar: I see a soulless, very blah product. And I see that they are investing a ton of money to make this series a success. So when I see people on here championing some very bland franchise as if it's the most exciting thing in the world, I'm completely flabbergasted. I literally cannot empathize with that position.

If the movie comes out and is enjoyable and fun, great. But I'm not going to sit back and act as though the Avatar franchise is anything more than an investment for a film studio, or that it's some force of nature that will change art as we know it.

To me, it would be like people being super excited about a new phone when the last model was just a generic, average phone. It doesn't make sense in my brain.

It just feels like people want something, anything to be a fan of today.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
*Watching the scene where the US military does 9/11 to a space country for oil*

This movie has nothing to say.
*Never takes a screenwriting class and lets youtubers convince me that tropes or familiar plot beasts are inherently bad*

"Ugh, this movie's SO unoriginal and originality is the end all be all of what makes story good"

For me, it has to do with all the corporate, mass produced fandom we see today. I live in Orlando and go to Disney pretty regularly, and the number of people I see who have to throw on some random Marvel or Star Wars shirt before going to the park is insane.

I've never understood fandom like that, as I've never felt the need to walk around blasting my preferences in people's faces. But, I appreciate it in its natural form, e.g. someone walking around in a shirt they got in a promotion or at an event or something.
.............This quite literally makes no sense. Getting a shirt in a promotion or event is not corporate mass produced fandom but someone choosing to put a shirt on is? What?

Who said anything about a "new" idea? There are ideas that can be explored in a distinctive, interesting way, though. Avatar's afterschool special-level take on ecology isn't that.
How many movies feature settings as notable as Pandora again? There are many movies set on alien worlds. And many movies with messages about anti-imperialism and such.

So back to Avatar: I see a soulless, very blah product. And I see that they are investing a ton of money to make this series a success.
It already IS a success tho?

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's hard to talk about the unoriginality and tropiness of a movie from over a decade ago...

...in the current world, where superhero flicks are literally planned and churned out via conveyor belt.