• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Though the series has always been fairly well-known, Avatar's popularity reached new heights last year when it was added to Netflix in May. The streaming service has helped numerous shows find new audiences over the years (Breaking Bad, The Office, etc.), and Avatar was just the latest. That Netflix is also in the midst of creating a live-action Avatar likely added to the craze. Additionally, sequel series The Legend of Korra joined in August and was met with similar interest. However, based on a new report, Korra came nowhere near its predecessor's success.

According to market research company The NPD Group (via Cartoon Brew), Avatar topped the list of Netflix's most watched animated kids' shows in 2020. The Legend of Korra, meanwhile, came in at number 8 on the list, which did not provide concrete numbers. Interestingly, only one show from the list is a Netflix original: The Boss Baby: Back in Business. The full list is as follows:

The Boss Baby: Back in Business
Naruto
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
PJ Masks
The Garfield Show
Johnny Test
The Legend of Korra
Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated
Cocomelon

Though Netflix doesn't release its streaming data, companies that have analyzed the performances of the streamer's content have indicated acquired shows like Avatar often do quite well. That, plus the added bonus of word of mouth drawing in new viewers on top of the already sizable fanbase, likely contributed to Avatar's success. It also might have helped that Avatar arrived just when a good number of people were staying home due to the coronavirus pandemic; there was more time to binge and rewatch.

screenrant.com

Avatar: The Last Airbender Was The Most Watched Animated Kids Show On Netflix In 2020

Legend of Korra was big too, but not as much.

Oct 26, 2017
I begrudgingly added to that Netflix count. Their subtitles were so, so bad.

Oops. I meant to say "Naruto"

Last edited:

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I watched it for the first time during quarantine and really it blew me away. What they did with Zuko & Azula... whew, those arcs!

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
084d28f4aca46c618744017a49da8d5e.gif

May 26, 2018
Korra should've been an earthbender. Have the waterbender after Aang get got by the red lotus immediately after birth and korra is an earthbender

It'd justify why she was under such heavy guard

That'd be a scary future. Someone hones a form of bending that can instantly detect where the Avatar is, and that bender is a villain, and the Avatar spends the next several years being killed hundreds of times as a baby before the smartest minds start piecing together why the Avatar isn't appearing.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP buried the lede that one of the top most watched shows was Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. Give me season 3!

200.gif

Also who the fuck is still watching Jonny Test in 2020?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as Naruto is on there, ATLA and LOK outperformed a bunch of anime that's on Netflix as well.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I added to that viewing stat, having never seen it before. Loved and it and could easily see the promise Dave Filoni had even back then.

Now I'm curious to watch this Korra show, since everyone also speaks pretty highly of that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I added to that viewing stat, having never seen it before. Loved and it and could easily see the promise Dave Filoni had even back then.

Now I'm curious to watch this Korra show, since everyone also speaks pretty highly of that.

Watch Castlevania, the true best animated series on the service.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've been trying to get my lil brother into naruto and avatar for years but it wasn't until his friends started to watch it in 2020 cause of word of mouth lol that he finally watched it and loved it.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it with my kids and quite frankly it is so much better than most of what I've watched with them. Top tier show for sure

(Other stand outs include Phineas and Ferb, Korra, and Dragon Prince.

Recently started Clone Wars, and at least so far it seems many notches down, but there's a lot of seasons here so it has lots of time to grow on me)

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe that Cocomelon isn't #1. It's been in the top 10 (probably) more than the rest combined.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So is that rumored new Avatar series on Paramount+ actually gonna be a thing?