• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Underwater this time. Neat. Release the blue Kracken.

These sequels will do very well, and all the haters will rage.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Underwater this time. Neat. Release the blue Kracken.

These sequels will do very well, and all the haters will rage.
The Transformers movies made a lot of money. That doesn't mean they're good films (or the bore of an original film good, for that matter).

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
The Transformers movies made a lot of money. That doesn't mean they're good films (or the bore of an original film good, for that matter).
They are Michael Bay films...not films from a man who has created high quality 'best movie of all time' quality films...and won oscars.

A very bizarre comparison...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the status of worker rights rights currently in NZ? Hollywood basically walked right through us a while back with The Hobbit, including family i have @ WETA.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They are Michael Bay films...not films from a man who has created high quality 'best movie of all time' quality films...and won oscars.

A very bizarre comparison...
A film making a lot of money doesn't make it good, nor does the director, writer, or anyone else working on Avatar 2-5 with a pedigree mean that these sequels will be good; Kenneth Branagh has made some of the all-time greatest adaptations of Shakespeare but they're also responsible for that awful 90s Frankenstein film and Artemis Fowl. Quite frankly, Avatar has demonstrated that James Cameron is well past his prime as a director. Going "but T2 and Aliens!" is more an indictment as to how forgettable his recent films have been.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Whats the status of worker rights rights currently in NZ? Hollywood basically walked right through us a while back with The Hobbit, including family i have @ WETA.

"The Hobbit Law" has been under review and public consultation this year (I sat in on some submissions from the games industry which was inexplicably included in the first place). Seems like things will get better, but rather than just repeal it, the government appears to be going down a more convoluted route which might not produce an ideal or clean result.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Is it clear what James Cameron intends to do with framerate on this movie? Early talk was potentially upping the frequency for quick camera pans and action but keeping it at 24hz during normal shots in order to avoid akward prostethics etc. and similar problems seen in The Hobbit. Still the plan?

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
With 4 sequels I bet they introduce more kinds of sentient aliens/creatures. Maybe the whole thing goes off the rails in a cool way and we're all living in a matrix like thing. Cameron loves his sci-fi.

I don't know if it's cinema withdrawal but I'm excited to see these now, especially knowing the next one has a lot of underwater. I think everyone is expecting more of the same, jungles and blue people, and I really really doubt Cameron will do that for 4 movies.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it clear what James Cameron intends to do with framerate on this movie? Early talk was potentially upping the frequency for quick camera pans and action but keeping it at 24hz during normal shots in order to avoid akward prostethics etc. and similar problems seen in The Hobbit. Still the plan?
Yes. He has confirmed that it's a variable frame rate where scenes will employ HFR only where it makes sense to.

He doesn't see HFR as a new format, but a tool to fix the strobing and headache effect for 3D.

Oct 27, 2017
Wut.

Will this movie have time skips? Because I imagine some scenes (especially if not shot sequentially) will be kinda jarring.

I guess they got the CG budget to compensate tho.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
They skipped The Abyss the damn fools.

Such a good movie. Also the reason I always wear a ring!

Blue tail ass having things Episode 2, 3 and 4 should be interesting at the very least. Do we know the idea of these films even? Like are they actually underwater? Weaver is there so we ARE following the same people from the first movie? I kind of thought Cameron might just make like... 4 independent stories set on the same world kind of thing.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Very curious to see how the rest of the film's turn out, the gap has been so long it's hard to imagine it capturing that same momentum but who knows. Obviously the marketing train will be in full force once number 2 is finally coming out.

like Terminator where the second film is vastly superior to the first.

Lol but it's not.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is going to be the biggest movie of all time because it will be the first really big blockbuster out after quarantine ends for real and everyone will go to this public outing in grand celebration. And it will be remembered as the first post quarantine social phenomenon.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be the biggest movie of all time because it will be the first really big blockbuster out after quarantine ends for real and everyone will go to this public outing in grand celebration. And it will be remembered as the first post quarantine social phenomenon.

My thoughts exactly! LOL

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably haha. Lucky for James Cameron.

Also, I'm looking forward to this movie being based around the ocean/in the ocean. Cameron is top notch when it comes to water/underwater action.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Oh so it's coming out in 2030?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If they play cards right this might make 3b.
There's no way it will make hat much, the first one made a ton of money because eveyone and their aunt went to see it because they thought Cameron would revolutionize cinema, turns out he didn't, there wasn't much to the movie except for some nice visuals, the story was boring and predictable and the characters flat. Avatar 2 will be successful but it won't come close to the first one.

Quoting me from 4-5 months ago I would have expected some justification in your response, why do you think the original is better? Or in other words why are you wrong?
I'll answer. The first one was great horror, a relentless killing machine hunting down its intended victim who barely escapes with her life, it was also a closed time loop, Sarah knew what was coming and there was no escaping it, all she could do in the end was to prepare her son for the role he had to play.
The second one ditched the themes of the first one, Arnold becomes a pet Terminator, they suddenly assume the future isn't fixed and can be changed, it's a great action movie but it replaces the hopelessness of the first one with a more hopeful ending.

Jul 4, 2018
I'll answer. The first one was great horror, a relentless killing machine hunting down its intended victim who barely escapes with her life, it was also a closed time loop, Sarah knew what was coming and there was no escaping it, all she could do in the end was to prepare her son for the role he had to play.
The second one ditched the themes of the first one, Arnold becomes a pet Terminator, they suddenly assume the future isn't fixed and can be changed, it's a great action movie but it replaces the hopelessness of the first one with a more hopeful ending.

Fair enough, I disagree but I also probably didn't carry in as many expectations with T2 as you did judging by your enjoyment of the first film.

I feel T2 was a better more nuanced story than the very little explanation we nuclear destruction/bad robot hunting people down of the first. Enjoyed the relationship of John teaching the T-800 how to be human, which I connected with more emotionally. Relating this back to my original post many months ago I hope Avatar 2 shares the same aspects of T2 in this sense and allows for a more human story (told through the perspective of the Navi) that has more emotional resonance than the first while keeping the amazing visuals and world building that stood out in the original Avatar.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way it will make hat much, the first one made a ton of money because eveyone and their aunt went to see it because they thought Cameron would revolutionize cinema, turns out he didn't, there wasn't much to the movie except for some nice visuals, the story was boring and predictable and the characters flat. Avatar 2 will be successful but it won't come close to the first one.

Erm, Avatar did revolutionise cinema. You may not have liked the story but the film had a quantifiable, measurable impact on filmmaking and film distribution.