• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me kinda hopefull that the character descriptions makes it sound very much like the original series and that they don't use a whitewashed cast this time.
It is a shame that the original creators are not part of it anymore, but it could still turn out to be great. By reading the press release I think the Showrunner seems to know what Avatar is about.

I know that I will propably be alone with this, but I hope that they are not trying to only please the fans by doing a 1:1 adaption and rather have some new ideas. I would even have no problem if they go in a different direction with certain story beats.

Also they should find out how to do the bending and other stuff in a different way, because I could imagine that the current style will not look nearly as cool in live action.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand the point of this entire project.

Who has or is considering a Netflix subscription, and wants to watch Avatar, but not if it's a cartoon?

lexony

Oct 25, 2017

Who has or is considering a Netflix subscription, and wants to watch Avatar, but not if it's a cartoon?
I know a lot of people who I think would like Avatar but are not watching it because it is animation and a kids show.
Otherwise it is a popular IP and Disney Live adapdations showed that people want stuff like this. From a business perspective it seems to make sense to me. From an artistic perspective it is obviously pointless and it can go wrong in many ways.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Adaptations don't have to be better to have merit. Sometimes is just fun to see a new cast and new writers take another crack at the same story. The project isn't a failure automatically if it doesn't become better than the cartoon.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Adaptations don't have to be better to have merit. Sometimes is just fun to see a new cast and new writers take another crack at the same story. The project isn't a failure automatically if it doesn't become better than the cartoon.
Yeah. I really hope that while staying faithful to the original, they will try their own thing. The "live-action" adaption of the Lion King did to much of the same and turned out to be boring for me, because it didn't solve the pacing problems of the original (it even made it worse by being somehow 30 minutes longer).

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Wonder if they will wear eye-contacts to get the right eye color for each of them. Sokka´s and Katara´s blue eyes always worked together really well with their outfits aswell as them beeing connected to water.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I'm not really into Avatar, but I showed this casting to some of my friends who are and it seems Ian Ousley who portrays Sokka is caucasian. So this does mean they are still whitewashing part of the cast, despite DiMartino and Konietzko claiming they weren't going to do that. One of my friends also said they might have cast Ousley because he appears like he could be racially ambiguous despite the fact that he is, in fact, white.

you joke, but take another look

technically he is.

key word is look race appropriate

I think it was just from reading about the actor. There doesn't seem to be anything conclusive from a Google search, except suggestions pointing to him being caucasian. The threadmarked tweets in this thread also mention the heritage of each of the actors except for his.

true, there really isn't a way to tell. for what it's worth though, I don't think the actor really looks like the character either. Sokka looks more dark skinned than Ousley. maybe the guy killed it in his audition and just deserves it. like I said I'm not really into Avatar so this potential news doesn't affect me that much; I'm always upset to see roles in acting get whitewashed but that's as far as I'm concerned, it was my friends who are diehard Avatar fans who felt really upset and they kept bringing up the M. Night Shyamalan movie too.
Damn you're really concerned about the ethnicity of a teenage actor that clearly doesn't even look white but, uh, according to "your friends" he is.
Don't assume the ethnicity of a person if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ousley is native american btw.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

Same.

To me, this is and has always been some self-satisfying attempt by the 2 credited creators to milk their lightening in a bottle series and elevate themselves into some type of "true stardom" but going into Live Action. It's the only reason why I felt the movie happened, and now it's the only reason why I think they came to NF to make this (and left for w/e reason, can't play nice with NF or w/e).
They tried to revisit the animation bowl again with Korra, but they didn't have the same creative team as before and lacked that element that made the first so great (electing to have her battle ideologies they don't understand nor respect enough to do justice by).

So yeah, we're gonna get the 2nd attempt to retell a cartoon story from over a decade ago that's doomed to be smaller in scope (because drawing fire and ice and such is far easier than making convincing Live Action bending) because they really just want to make a live action version.

Anyway, on the topic of casting, I'm not gonna touch on the colorism topic. If Inuits are cool with the casting and Native Americans are fine with it, then it's w/e. I don't know if any of these kids can act or how the story is gonna go, but I hope w/e they do, the people being represented enjoy it.
(I prefer animation in every way, so they would have to do something amazing to make me care about a Live Action retelling of a Grade A cartoon)

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Same.

To me, this is and has always been some self-satisfying attempt by the 2 credited creators to milk their lightening in a bottle series and elevate themselves into some type of "true stardom" but going into Live Action. It's the only reason why I felt the movie happened, and now it's the only reason why I think they came to NF to make this (and left for w/e reason, can't play nice with NF or w/e).
They tried to revisit the animation bowl again with Korra, but they didn't have the same creative team as before and lacked that element that made the first so great (electing to have her battle ideologies they don't understand nor respect enough to do justice by).

So yeah, we're gonna get the 2nd attempt to retell a cartoon story from over a decade ago that's doomed to be smaller in scope (because drawing fire and ice and such is far easier than making convincing Live Action bending) because they really just want to make a live action version.

Anyway, on the topic of casting, I'm not gonna touch on the colorism topic. If Inuits are cool with the casting and Native Americans are fine with it, then it's w/e. I don't know if any of these kids can act or how the story is gonna go, but I hope w/e they do, the people being represented enjoy it.
(I prefer animation in every way, so they would have to do something amazing to make me care about a Live Action retelling of a Grade A cartoon)
The creators are not involved in the movie or now in this adaptation though. Avatar is property of Nickelodeon/Viacom. Of course want they to milk anything of what they own that is at least somewhat successful.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope that kid playing Sokka has comedy chops. They failed so hard the last time they cast the role, and Sokka is supposed to ground the entire cast

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
The creators are not involved in the movie or now in this adaptation though. Avatar is property of Nickelodeon/Viacom. Of course want they to milk anything of what they own that is at least somewhat successful.
My understanding of this show is that it's happening because those 2 "wanted" it to happen. They were Ex producers and showrunners on this project. They were all on board to go hard in the paint on this one, but left it, so I have to imagine they wanted to make it happen.

And of course people want to milk successes for all their worth, but given how Korra turned out I lack any hype for the future of the series in either animation or live action given that it seems clear to me that much of the reason the original came out the way it did was because of the team beyond those 2.
That's the lightning in a bottle of it, sometimes a group of people working together just click and make something amazing that can't be reproduced by any solo part of the whole and can't be accredited to any few members of the group.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017

If this was a different story in the same world I'd be so hype. Like I'm not tryna say everything should be a Star Wars Extended Universe... but if any franchise deserves one....it's ATLA. And people would still fuck with it if it was good! There are a million stories to be told in this world and they won't leave Aang and his friends alone 😭

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding of this show is that it's happening because those 2 "wanted" it to happen. They were Ex producers and showrunners on this project. They were all on board to go hard in the paint on this one, but left it, so I have to imagine they wanted to make it happen.

And of course people want to milk successes for all their worth, but given how Korra turned out I lack any hype for the future of the series in either animation or live action given that it seems clear to me that much of the reason the original came out the way it did was because of the team beyond those 2.
That's the lightning in a bottle of it, sometimes a group of people working together just click and make something amazing that can't be reproduced by any solo part of the whole and can't be accredited to any few members of the group.
Yeah I consider Avatar also more of an one hit wonder because the right people were there at the right time. But I don't share your negative opinion of the two creators. Imo their work really showed how anime should actually be when it comes inclusiveness and this is both true for Avatar and Korra. They still earn a fair share of critism because how Korra turned out to be by the end, but a lot of it was also how Nickelodeon handled the show. A lot of this stuff has more to do with business than creative freedom of showrunners.

Last edited:

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

I didn't want to say it either but that's why when the news that they were in the project and the news that they left hit, I was so w/e about it. Korra was…. Ambitious but left a lot to be desired and outright ruined some of the aspects of the original show for me, they got in way over their head for it lol. Avatar had a pretty large team of writers in comparison and it totally shows. Them leaving the Netflix project meant nothing to me Lol.

That being said however I'm interested in this still. Avatar is an incredibly influential show that is the backbone to so many other cartoons and YA fantasy. So much of the market of this genre has people behind it that are inspired by avatar, I totally believe other teams are capable of making something new and believable with this world. Clearly they care enough to have more faithful casting. Idk. I'm optimistic lol.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Damn you're really concerned about the ethnicity of a teenage actor that clearly doesn't even look white but, uh, according to "your friends" he is.
Don't assume the ethnicity of a person if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ousley is native american btw.
of course I am concerned. like I said, I'm always upset to see whitewashing occur. That's anywhere in Hollywood whether it's television, movies, or voice casting. I expressed doubt about his ethnicity but I didn't immediately assume it, either. But yes, with that being said I am sorry for expressing that doubt with the new news about his heritage. I can't blame my friends for looking into this with the little information available, though. they're hardcore fans of the series and would be doubly disappointed if there was any repeat of the theatrical film.

edit: btw, I don't see why you needed to put friends or quotations nor why it matters that Ousley is a teenager. the actors in the movie were teenagers too.

Last edited:

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that this is going to suck because the creators pulled out. I've read rumours that it was because Netflix wanted to change this into a teen drama. If that turns out to be true then this series is DOA. Sorry for the actors.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really into Avatar, but I showed this casting to some of my friends who are and it seems Ian Ousley who portrays Sokka is caucasian. So this does mean they are still whitewashing part of the cast, despite DiMartino and Konietzko claiming they weren't going to do that. One of my friends also said they might have cast Ousley because he appears like he could be racially ambiguous despite the fact that he is, in fact, white.

All of that concern and he doesn't even look white. Your mates need glasses.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Friendly reminder that this is going to suck because the creators pulled out. I've read rumours that it was because Netflix wanted to change this into a teen drama. If that turns out to be true then this series is DOA. Sorry for the actors.
Creators of lots of successful properties aren't involved with adaptations. The teenaged drama rumour is based on a casting call sheet to hide the fact this was an Avatar adaptation.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
The teen drama dosen't seem to be true when you read the press release. That was likely only for the Casting process

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Ehhh, tbh I'm not really impressed with the casting. None of them really give me the vibes of the actual characters, but I know that you can only really tell after you see them act. In fairness to the actors, I doubt anyone would be able to convince me that live action is a good idea for Avatar. Why can't they be happy with 'just' a legendary cartoon?

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
of course I am concerned. like I said, I'm always upset to see whitewashing occur. That's anywhere in Hollywood whether it's television, movies, or voice casting. I expressed doubt about his ethnicity but I didn't immediately assume it, either. But yes, with that being said I am sorry for expressing that doubt with the new news about his heritage. I can't blame my friends for looking into this with the little information available, though. they're hardcore fans of the series and would be doubly disappointed if there was any repeat of the theatrical film.

All this equivocating that surrounds your apology is making this seem like a non-apology apology. Just say you were wrong and that's that.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

I'm surprised people still ask this question. The fact is, whether we like it or not, certain mediums have certain baggage and pre-conceived notions attached to them that keep large portions of people from ever giving that thing a chance. A VERY large amount of people will never play The Last of Us because they are not interested in video games, but they will give the story adapted in to a live action show a chance and could become fans. Similarly, a VERY large amount of people will never watch The Last Airbender because it was an animated show on Nickelodeon, but they will give it a chance if it's a live action show. It's as simple as that. There is a significant audience for these stories that just will not engage with them unless they are presented in a live action format.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Airbender is an my all time favorite cartoon…really show probably overall, but I was really hoping they would have some Indian actors in this. They have time to cast the rest of the show, but it has always bothered me that everyone is so focused on making sure things aren't whitewashed when they probably don't realize how much Hindu influence there is throughout the show. There isn't any real acknowledgement of that (almost) appropriation by a lot of fans. On a surface level, it is easiest to associate a lot of the cultures with Native American, Chinese, Japanese culture based on architecture, but the entire spiritual ideology and backbone of the show is Hinduism and Buddhism which both originate from India.

Honestly it's the one thing M Night almost got right, but I probably would not have made the entire Fire Nation Indian. I could see the Earth Kingdom having a lot of Indians since that seemed like the most diverse culturely in the original show.

The ties to Hinduism were a big reason for me connecting with the show just the same as it did for my in laws. It would be cool to see that acknowledged by casting Indians in some main roles. It makes me a bit sad that there really isn't a push from fans for this, since a lot probably aren't familiar with some of those connections.

And no, Guru Pathik is not enough.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Airbender is an my all time favorite cartoon…really show probably overall, but I was really hoping they would have some Indian actors in this. They have time to cast the rest of the show, but it has always bothered me that everyone is so focused on making sure things aren't whitewashed, but they probably don't realize how much Hindu influence there is throughout the show, but there isn't any real acknowledgement of that (almost) appropriation.

And no, Guru Pathik is not enough.

100% Are there even any black characters in the show? Are sandbenders Arab? I always though Sparky Sparky boom man could be Arab adjacent.

Who knows, but I do hope that Netflix rectifies this. They usually do support diversity in their casts, so I hope if they take creative liberties, they do it there.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020

Me, I think a new adaptation can improve a lot of the flaws the original cartoon has... or be another live-action dumpster fire, either way I am watching it.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
100% Are there even any black characters in the show? Are sandbenders Arab? I always though Sparky Sparky boom man could be Arab adjacent.

Who knows, but I do hope that Netflix rectifies this. They usually do support diversity in their casts, so I hope if they take creative liberties, they do it there.

I edited my post a lot, but I'm glad my point was clear in my original post. Guess no need to edit!

For those that don't know, words like avatar and agni (in agni kai) originate from Sanskrit. Avatar means descent (basically incarnation) and agni means fire. Kai comes from Japanese IIRC, though. Chakras are entirely lifted from Hinduism. Bumi is another Sanskrit word in origin meaning earth. Obviously based on the above, the entire concept of reincarnation is basically Hindu in origin (down to using its actual word) which is the backbone of the show.

Additionally, for Korra: Raava and Vaatu are also both of Sanskrit origin. Zaheer is of Urdu origin, and Kuvira is of Hindi origin.

Also sparky sparky boom guy is, is the guy with the third eye right? That's actually a good example of who could be Indian as again conceptually the third eye has Hindu origins. Would prefer if they didn't just make Indians a villain, though, heh, but that could work as one casting.

Last edited:

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Casting call information that made it to the public eye, but was more to set character tone without the burden of the cartoon and to hide the fact that it was for that particular show to the public. Actual press release and concept indicate that it'll be a fairly direct adaptation of the show.
I would have watched High School Avatar

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
true, there really isn't a way to tell. for what it's worth though, I don't think the actor really looks like the character either. Sokka looks more dark skinned than Ousley. maybe the guy killed it in his audition and just deserves it. like I said I'm not really into Avatar so this potential news doesn't affect me that much; I'm always upset to see roles in acting get whitewashed but that's as far as I'm concerned, it was my friends who are diehard Avatar fans who felt really upset and they kept bringing up the M. Night Shyamalan movie too.

Looks like you were right to mistrust this casting.