• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently people on Twitter are giving the actors portraying Katara and Sokka shit for being too light skinned.

For fucks sake, people.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they will use grey, blue, green and yellow eye contacts for the different nations. Clothing is probably enough.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know how this necessary it is to get another live action adaptation of Avatar... but hey, the casting here doesn't seem bad and more uh, I refuse to believe it even is possible to be worse than what we got.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
ovs8eizkozf71.jpg

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The casting looks good, but I can't get that absolutely awful rumor out of my mind to not feel hopeless about all of this.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
The casting looks good, but I can't get that absolutely awful rumor out of my mind to not feel hopeless about all of this.
The rumor was a casting call not an actual description of the characters. The person reporting it changed the fake names to the actual character names while leaving the fake descriptions the same. One of the descriptions still had one of the fake names of Sokka in it.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really into Avatar, but I showed this casting to some of my friends who are and it seems Ian Ousley who portrays Sokka is caucasian. So this does mean they are still whitewashing part of the cast, despite DiMartino and Konietzko claiming they weren't going to do that. One of my friends also said they might have cast Ousley because he appears like he could be racially ambiguous despite the fact that he is, in fact, white.

Cause they aren't asian. Especially not goku.
Bulma's and Goku's cases are different since one character is human, and one is a humanoid alien. So when someone says Goku isn't Asian what they really mean - I guess - is that Goku isn't supposed to have the appearance of an Asian person, which is still something I disagree with.

In Bulma's case, having her cast by a white actress in a live action adaptation makes sense since she's from the western world in DBZ's version of earth. Apparently Toriyama even designed her to have the appearance of a "western girl".

Goku on the other hand was discovered by Gohan in the eastern world of the earth and despite the fact that he is an alien, he's a humanoid alien who has the appearance of a human. The latter is the same exact description that can be used to describe Superman, but as far as I can tell Superman has almost always if not always been cast as a white man, so as to be portrayed with the appearance of a white human man. The creators of Superman were presumably white and American, so it makes sense that that's how they envisioned their character to appear live action.

As others have said, Goku is based on Son Wukong from Journey to the West, which is a story of East Asian origin. The creator of DBZ is also East Asian and DBZ itself is also a work of East Asia so it makes perfect sense to cast Goku as Asian in a live action adaptation and it's why I would argue that Justin Chatwin's casting was another instance of whitewashing.

DBZ: Light of Hope got the casting right. 17, 18, and Bulma were all played by white actors while Gohan and Trunks were played by Asian actors.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not really into Avatar, but I showed this casting to some of my friends who are and it seems Ian Ousley who portrays Sokka is caucasian.
How do they know if you don't mind me asking? The casting call specified Indigenous. It would just seem weird and open to controversy to cast Katara as such and not him given the history of racebending and the Aangaintwhite movement with the franchise.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
they at least look race appropriate compared to the m night version 😬
key word is look race appropriate
How do they know if you don't mind me asking? The casting call specified Indigenous. It would just seem weird and open to controversy to cast Katara as such and not him given the history of racebending and the Aangaintwhite movement with the franchise.
I think it was just from reading about the actor. There doesn't seem to be anything conclusive from a Google search, except suggestions pointing to him being caucasian. The threadmarked tweets in this thread also mention the heritage of each of the actors except for his.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
key word is look race appropriate

I think it was just from reading about the actor. There doesn't seem to be anything conclusive from a Google search, except suggestions pointing to him being caucasian. The threadmarked tweets in this thread also mention the heritage of each of the actors except for his.

yeah might not be, which would be unfortunate but given the casting for the other 3 main roles I will give them the benefit of the doubt until proven either way.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yeah I saw that tweet too. But that's not really evidence that he isn't. Though, it's also not evidence that he is. The actor might just be private about his ethnicity. Personally willing to give the production the benefit of the doubt based on the other leads but I understand people being hesitant in trusting them.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I saw that tweet too. But that's not really evidence that he isn't. Though, it's also not evidence that he is. The actor might just be private about his ethnicity. Personally willing to give the production the benefit of the doubt based on the other leads but I understand people being hesitant in trusting them.
true, there really isn't a way to tell. for what it's worth though, I don't think the actor really looks like the character either. Sokka looks more dark skinned than Ousley. maybe the guy killed it in his audition and just deserves it. like I said I'm not really into Avatar so this potential news doesn't affect me that much; I'm always upset to see roles in acting get whitewashed but that's as far as I'm concerned, it was my friends who are diehard Avatar fans who felt really upset and they kept bringing up the M. Night Shyamalan movie too.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really into Avatar, but I showed this casting to some of my friends who are and it seems Ian Ousley who portrays Sokka is caucasian. So this does mean they are still whitewashing part of the cast, despite DiMartino and Konietzko claiming they weren't going to do that. One of my friends also said they might have cast Ousley because he appears like he could be racially ambiguous despite the fact that he is, in fact, white.
I just wanted to make a note that Brian and Mike are not working on this show anymore, so you probably shouldn't use their words as a source anymore.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to make a note that Brian and Mike are not working on this show anymore, so you probably shouldn't use their words as a source anymore.
whoa what? why did they leave production?

damn, I don't know if that's gonna mean good or bad news for the Netflix show. Then again, I dunno if they were involved with the film adaptation either. but yes, I was referencing this article from 3 years ago when they were still working on it:

"We can't wait to realize Aang's world as cinematically as we always imagined it to be, and with a culturally appropriate, non-whitewashed cast.It's a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build upon everyone's great work on the original animated series and go even deeper into the characters, story, action, and world-building. Netflix is wholly dedicated to manifesting our vision for this retelling, and we're incredibly grateful to be partnering with them."
variety.com

‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Live-Action Series Set at Netflix

Netflix has ordered a live-action series based on "Avatar: The Last Airbender."

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
whoa what? why did they leave production?

damn, I don't know if that's gonna mean good or bad news for the Netflix show. Then again, I dunno if they were involved with the film adaptation either. but yes, I was referencing this article from 3 years ago when they were still working on it:

variety.com

‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Live-Action Series Set at Netflix

Netflix has ordered a live-action series based on "Avatar: The Last Airbender."

They were experiencing irreconcilable differences with Netflix.

www.theverge.com

Avatar: The Last Airbender creators quit Netflix live-action adaptation over creative differences

There were issues with the overall direction of the product, according to one creator

They also were initially on the original film then ousted because M.Night wanted to do his own thing and didn't want to listen to Brian and Mike.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
They left over "creative differences". Which pretty much means don't get your hopes up for this being good.

They were experiencing irreconcilable differences with Netflix.

www.theverge.com

Avatar: The Last Airbender creators quit Netflix live-action adaptation over creative differences

There were issues with the overall direction of the product, according to one creator

They also were initially on the original film then ousted because M.Night wanted to do his own thing and didn't want to listen to Brian and Mike.
ugh. this definitely sounds like it will not bode well for the Netflix series. I dunno what they're thinking here but they should be aware that history is about to repeat itself if they don't work with the original authors.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm gonna be honest, I kind of don't care if the original creators are on board or not. The idea of just completely 1 for 1 recreating the original show in live action sound so incredibly boring to me. I don't think this show will come close to touching the original with or without them, but at least maybe it can be satisfying in it's own way. Casting so far to me looks good.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I'm gonna be honest, I kind of don't care if the original creators are on board or not. The idea of just completely 1 for 1 recreating the original show in live action sound so incredibly boring to me. I don't think this show will come close to touching the original with or without them, but at least maybe it can be satisfying in it's own way. Casting so far to me looks good.

Same here.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they intended on going for a 1:1 recreation, but they wanted something true to the spirit of the original. We'll find out when the show eventually releases…

I think a lot of people are not hopeful because we've seen what Netflix does when they take certain animated IPs and turn them into live action. Winx was the absolute worst.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
At the end of the day dragon ball lore doesn't exist in a vacuum if goku was never revealed to be an alien you might have a point but since he isn't the studio now has the wiggle room to cast him as any light skin actor.
DBZ: Light of Hope got the casting right. 17, 18, and Bulma were all played by white actors while Gohan and Trunks were played by Asian actors
And it makes since here to cast gohan as asian cause chichi is. Trunks is another toss up cause he could be potentially anything.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day dragon ball lore doesn't exist in a vacuum if goku was never revealed to be an alien you might have a point but since he isn't the studio now has the wiggle room to cast him as any light skin actor.
And it makes since here to cast gohan as asian cause chichi is. Trunks is another toss up cause he could be potentially anything.
did you actually read what I wrote? because you just replacing my post with "words" makes me think you didn't. I explained fully my logic for why Goku should be played by an Asian actor if adapted for live action and it definitely isn't random that Trunks was Asian in that fanmade movie, so I'm not going to bother replying to you if you don't actually have something to say in response to what I said.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
did you actually read what I wrote? because you just replacing my post with "words" makes me think you didn't.
I obviously read it thats why i answered you, i did that for my benefit.

I explained fully my logic for why Goku should be played by an Asian actor if adapted for live action and it definitely isn't random that Trunks was Asian in that fanmade movie,
And as i said seeing as saiyans aren't even human they could have cast him as just some white guy and they wouldn't have been wrong. If gohan wasn't asian it'd be a different story.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I obviously read it thats why i answered you, i did that for my benefit.
Then your response doesn't make sense, nor was it obvious that you actually read it.

And as i said seeing as saiyans aren't even human they could have cast him as just some white guy and they wouldn't have been wrong. If gohan wasn't asian it'd be a different story.
And as I said, Superman and by extension Kryptonians are almost always cast as caucasian humans and that isn't ever questioned. Somehow despite the fact that Superman is an alien, his appearance is never left up in the air for ambiguous casting. How do you explain that?

Because this is exactly why I explain Goku cast as some white guy to be wrong. You say "could have" as if it is hypothetical, but it is a reality. Goku is the main character from a Japanese work of fiction. And that work of fiction drew its inspiration from a Chinese legend. That's more than enough reason in my opinion to have an Asian actor be most appropriate to be cast as Goku, and it does become a case of whitewashing if those in charge of casting tries to make a case for a white actor and cast a white actor instead.

So no, casting some white guy was and is wrong and is seen as one of the many reasons why DB Evolution was a failure.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Did those insane plot details that leaked get debunked?

I remember them being posted here and people were theorizing the changes being a key reason why the creators left.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Did those insane plot details that leaked get debunked?

I remember them being posted here and people were theorizing the changes being a key reason why the creators left.
You mean the character descriptions from the casting call? Yeah, the same day they were posted. They were fake placeholder descriptions that are apparently typical for auditions. They even had fake names for the characters. The blog that blew that up went out of their way to change the fake names with the actual character names before posting about it and then the internet ran with "they're changing the story".

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
You mean the character descriptions from the casting call? Yeah, the same day they were posted. They were fake placeholder descriptions that are apparently typical for auditions. They even had fake names for the characters. The blog that blew that up went out of their way to change the fake names with the actual character names before posting about it and then the internet ran with "they're changing the story".
I understand, thank you for clearing that up. I definitely got swept up in the discussion and came away believing the wrong thing.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like the character descriptions that leaked weren't accurate (or at least made to be like that to hide anything about the show) because the character descriptions IGN has seems to come from Netflix and match the original show:

www.ign.com

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Netflix Live-Action Series Reveals Cast and Creative Team - IGN

Netflix has announced the cast and creative team for its live-action adaptation of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Thats great casting. I wish Zuko would look a bit older, but maybe its that one picture.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Good casting.

If the rumors are true that it's set in modern day high school with completely different backgrounds for all of them, zero interest. Would be a huge misstep.

This rumor was from the casting call, which used fake fake character names and backgrounds so that the actors and media wouldn't know that they were going out for A:TLA.

The new show will be set in the same fantasy setting as the cartoon, with no high school shenanigans, etc. See also the concept art they released, which is clearly period-appropriate Aang near the Southern Water Tribe.