• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why Cameron doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from people at this point. Like, if he has a flop, then maybe you can start acting like his next movie isn't a sure thing, but are we really going to play the same game all over again?

Sure, eventually the nay sayers may be proven right in that stopped clock kind of way, but that doesn't prove anything.

How many were predicting World of Pandora at Animal Kingdom was going to be a flop too?

My money is on Cameron easily making a profit off these movies.
This. I hate Avatar, but never bet against Cameron. That man knows hot to make money

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't we get a teaser trailer right about now for Avatar 2 ?

Late 2019 at the earliest.

Yeah, Besson's last film was good

Hell no.

If I see the "it was only the 3D!" nonsense anymore itll drive me nuts. You dont make three billion from a "gimmick". You make it from a LOT of repeat business. Also it was the best selling 2D Bluray of all time for like 5 years.

People have a hard time thinking for themselves. They're incapable of realizing the obvious: Avatar was the movie that caused the 3D explosion, and therefore the amount of 3D screens available while it was actually out in theaters was really small compared to the present.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Sequels have a fickle nature, so banking on four of them before even getting one more just seems like Insanity. Regardless, I suppose, of how these end up performing in America, I bet they'll have the Chinese market wrapped up without a problem.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Disney will use the Avatar sequels to give Star Wars a break. Expect Star Wars to fill the gap years of the Avatar sequels.

That's what I'm thinking too, though they'll prob adjust the release schedule so that the Avatar sequels release on alternate years rather than back to back (e.g. Avatar 2 in 2020, Star Wars in 2021, Avatar 3 in 2022, etc.)

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm thinking too, though they'll prob adjust the release schedule so that the Avatar sequels release on alternate years rather than back to back (e.g. Avatar 2 in 2020, Star Wars in 2021, Avatar 3 in 2022, etc.)

This would actually make a lot of sense and giving Cameron an extra year between 2 and 3 and then again between 4 and 5 can only be a good thing. It's also good for Star Wars, as Lucasfilm seems to have realized too that pushing out a film annually doesnt necessarily work for them either.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That the original is getting FOUR sequels will never not astound me. The passion he has for that world is incredible. It will look breathtaking, I hope the storytelling is there

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I am sort of oversimplifying to a degree. It was really about "seeing something you hadn't seen before on the big screen" and I could be wrong. If anyone could pull this out, its Cameron. Hell, I'm still shocked to see how Alita is getting great reviews.[/QUOTE]

Who? Where? The Rotten Tomatoes page is empty . Please don't say twitter early screening reactions lol

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe people still doubt Cameron. Dude always delivers and the only thing you can have even more confidence in is his ability to make a sequel that's better than the original.

Avatar 2 will easily gross a billion dollars. Easy. Easy easy easy. Quote me. @me. Whatever.

Now, that said, don't get me wrong - I don't necessarily think we'll 100% get Avatar 4 or 5; I could see his own disinterest or another shiny object getting in the way of that... or simply old age. If we do get avatar 5, decent chance it's a mid-late 2020s release and with a different director... if it even happens at all. But that Hs nothing to do with the success of Avatar 2.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe people still doubt Cameron. Dude always delivers and the only thing you can have even more confidence in is his ability to make a sequel that's better than the original.

Avatar 2 will easily gross a billion dollars. Easy. Easy easy easy. Quote me. @me. Whatever.

Now, that said, don't get me wrong - I don't necessarily think we'll 100% get Avatar 4 or 5; I could see his own disinterest or another shiny object getting in the way of that... or simply old age. If we do get avatar 5, decent chance it's a mid-late 2020s release and with a different director... if it even happens at all. But that Hs nothing to do with the success of Avatar 2.
Nah we'll get 4&5. The scripts and preproduction are already done. They're ready to go straight to photography once greenlit. And apparently they've done a few shots here and there for 4 already.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm not betting against Cameron. Even though I think he's making a mistake investing basically the back end of his career entirely on one franchise.

Avatar 2 will do very well and 4/5 will quickly be fast tracked after its opening weekend I would guess.

The people who think Avatar as a brand is forgotton should take a trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park ... the line up for the Avatar ride is hours long and everywhere around the park kids/parents are walking around with Avatar gear.

If A2 has a good script (and Cameron IMO has never directed a film with a bad script), it is going to do boffo box-office.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the True Lies script good? I know it's supposed to be a dumb movie but it wasn't fun dumb. Maybe it hit harder in the 90s... Also I don't think comedy is Cameron's strength...

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
We'll be getting 4/5 unless 2 or 3 outright bomb badly. Disney has even more reason to see this as a success than Fox due to Pandora in the park. And with the Chinese market developed now, A bil is the floor for each

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hot and cold on any more avatar. I liked watching the first one once but that was plenty. It's a cool world though and if they can make a good story with those visuals I'll watch The sequels. I just hope they aren't all 3 hours long even though I know they will be.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me even though it's not Cameron's best film something about Avatar works. My fiance will sit and watch the whole thing anytime it's on TV, and she's no big sci-fi/fantasy fan.

Cameron just understands story structure and character development in these types of films really, really well.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Is the True Lies script good? I know it's supposed to be a dumb movie but it wasn't fun dumb. Maybe it hit harder in the 90s... Also I don't think comedy is Cameron's strength...
Wait, what?

True Lies is fucking hilarious. Bill Paxton alone is worth the price of admission, let alone everything else.

Nov 14, 2017
For me even though it's not Cameron's best film something about Avatar works. My fiance will sit and watch the whole thing anytime it's on TV, and she's no big sci-fi/fantasy fan.

Cameron just understands story structure and character development in these types of films really, really well.
This right here. It's the story and the characters. Even though it's a deeply silly film in parts, it has a message that resonates with people and characters that connect. You'd have to have a cold, dead heart to not feel for the relationship between Neytiri and Sully. Every character gets their moment too.

Also, Avatar is great science fiction. It has ideas and commits to them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Surprised at the hostility towards the first film here. I really enjoyed it but even if you didn't I think it's ridiculous to basically call it garbage. At worst it's a solid action movie.

The next film from the director of the two biggest films of all time is going to be an event. On a technical front Avatar still holds up, imagine what possibly the leading light in movie CGI can achieve with technology a decade down the line. That's all you need to do; flash up a card that says 'From the director of Terminator 2, Titanic and Avatar' and then show a couple of minutes of bleeding edge CGI and people will be queuing up to see it. Even with a combined budget of $1bn for four films they'll be making money by the second film.

I'd also say that Alita: Battle Angel will probably end up being one of the box office bombs of the year. It looks interesting visually from the trailers but I don't know anyone who's genuinely excited to see it.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even if the first film had a forgettable plot, the world they created still has so many aspects untouched by that movie I understand why they're keen on another four.

That's just the ride and there's so much cool shit I want to see explored in the sequels.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Avatar I gave up on Cameron's ability to care about making a good script. How does a guy who began with Aliens and Terminator 1 and 2 go to that script?

It's not a bad script. You may not like the subject matter per se, but structurally it's a very sound script for an action blockbuster. For people globally to get into a movie like that with no brand recognition to it, and a run time of nearly 3 hours, it has to be working on a story level.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the first film had a forgettable plot, the world they created still has so many aspects untouched by that movie I understand why they're keen on another four.

That's just the ride and there's so much cool shit I want to see explored in the sequels.

I waited 2 1/2 hours for this ride.

It was worth it.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's not a bad script. You may not like the subject matter per se, but structurally it's a very sound script for an action blockbuster. For people globally to get into a movie like that with no brand recognition to it, and a run time of nearly 3 hours, it has to be working on a story level.

It's not a bad script, it's boring and predictable - there are films which can fill in those blanks and make it exciting, like Whedon's Avengers and Aquaman. They were able to do this with vibrant characters and engaging set pieces and mythology, I didn't get any of this like those movies produced from Avatar. Aquaman as a film is a patchwork from numerous films stitched together to make an intriguing new story like it's never been told before, Wonder Woman did this to a lesser degree. With Avatar all I felt was blah.

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
After Avatar I gave up on Cameron's ability to care about making a good script. How does a guy who began with Aliens and Terminator 1 and 2 go to that script?
IIRC the Avatar script was written with 3D in mind, meaning Cameron's focus was more to have a story in which he can show off 3D and not so much great characters.

I honestly doubt it's going to be much better in the sequels as Cameron will make the very same considerations but I guess we'll see.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a bad script, it's boring and predictable - there are films which can fill in those blanks and make it exciting, like Whedon's Avengers and Aquaman. They were able to do this with vibrant characters and engaging set pieces and mythology, I didn't get any of this like those movies produced from Avatar. Aquaman as a film is a patchwork from numerous films stitched together to make an intriguing new story like it's never been told before, Wonder Woman did this to a lesser degree. With Avatar all I felt was blah.

What

Because Avatar doesn't have engaging set pieces? And what's this about the mythology of Whedon's Avengers?

There is undoubtedly A LOT thought put into Navi culture and Pandora flora and fauna, in ways that eclipses similar movies that try to create their own worlds.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
IIRC the Avatar script was written with 3D in mind, meaning Cameron's focus was more to have a story in which he can show off 3D and not so much great characters.

I honestly doubt it's going to be much better in the sequels as Cameron will make the very same considerations but I guess we'll see.

That's what's so weird about this. That's a good method in theory how he did it from my perspective, is that he failed to utilise it where many films without that ambition or powerhouse technology backing did so much better with the execution by going completely crazy. For example, Aquaman. It's possible to do that with films and have interesting characters or somehow interesting characters - like in Rogue One. Characters took a back seat in that movie, but I felt more of a connection to them and they stood out more than Avatar.

This is subjective, of course.

What

Because Avatar doesn't have engaging set pieces? And what's this about the mythology of Whedon's Avengers?

There is undoubtedly A LOT thought put into Navi culture and Pandora flora and fauna, in ways that eclipses movies like Avatar.

Aquaman has the mythology down, Avengers had the characterisation. Should have phrased it clearer, my bad.

Most of the set pieces in Avatar din't thrill me like those movies did.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

Source?

Also, Avatar can perfectly be seen in 2D if you can't or won't choose 3D. It's just as good, it's not just a vehicle for 3D With 'wow' effects

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's what's so weird about this. That's a good method in theory how he did it from my perspective, is that he failed to utilise it where many films without that ambition or powerhouse technology backing did so much better with the execution by going completely crazy. For example, Aquaman. It's possible to do that with films and have interesting characters or somehow interesting characters - like in Rogue One. Characters took a back seat in that movie, but I felt more of a connection to them and they stood out more than Avatar.

Aquaman has the mythology down, Avengers had the characterisation. Should have phrased it clearer, my bad.

Most of the set pieces in Avatar din't thrill me like those movies did.
Subjective indeed.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Except the story was written way before he had 3D in mind. Cameron has ALWAYS serviced script first.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Yeah, Besson's last film was good
Better than Avatar at least.
Are-- are you talking about

232539-L-LO.jpg

Valerian and the Unnecessarily Long Movie Title?

That Valerian?
Better than Avatar?

Geez, I knew ERA had a weird hate-boner for Avatar, but this? This is just nuts. Seek help.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Except the story was written way before he had 3D in mind. Cameron has ALWAYS serviced script first.

Right? The original scriptment is from 1995.

Are-- are you talking about

232539-L-LO.jpg

Valerian and the Unnecessarily Long Movie Title?

That Valerian?
Better than Avatar?

Geez, I knew ERA had a weird hate-boner for Avatar, but this? This is just nuts. Seek help.

This community has always behaved in an incomprehensibly bizarre way when it comes to Avatar.

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

You've lost a bit of credibility with those name drops. Aquaman and Wonder Woman are new and exciting? I'm not even a huge fan of Avatar, but it's in a different league entirely. Despite the familiarity of Avatar's story, Cameron's passion and attention to detail exude through the product and invigorate those well-worn tropes. There is no such feeling with those DC films, no imprint of a unique directorial voice.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This the examples you choose ?

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I am sure King Cameron can get the money from China. Kingmeron need to make Avatar 7 and 8 so he can claim all top 10 spots in the box office list.