• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jim Ryan is kind of a terrible spokesperson for Sony. Dude just can't help but put his foot in his mouth recently.

Mar 8, 2018
By the time XSS is on the verge of having to push sub HD resolutions to match visual quality, it'll probably transition to being a low-cost portal to cloud gaming.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you missed the last couple of days.
Have I? Where's Phil Spencer talking smack about the PS5?
Then please point out in the article where he shit talks them. Also make sure not to avoid the quote where he says he respects their decision.
Jim Ryan is literally making shit up about how there's a history of lower-specced console hardware doing poorly when the Series S is essentially the first time something like this has happened. He can claim he respects their competition's strategies but you have to be really thick to miss what he's actually doing.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, all he's saying is a PS5 version of the Series S wouldn't work for Sony, which is 100% right. Sony is always about pushing the hardware to the max and having a weaker console just for the sake of it wouldn't exactly work for them.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing Playstation is such a strong brand, because Ryan comes off as such a stubborn old man whenever he opens his mouth. Him being the face of Playstation actively makes the brand a tiny bit less cool. Putting aside whichever console you're buying, the tone behind the way he speaks about the industry compared to Spencer is night and day

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
AyaisMUsikWhore suggested Sony looked at other products than consoles. Most of the examples of less powerful hardware that come to my mind, have very healthy sales below the flagship. So, I was asking them which products they thought Sony might have looked at. Even after PS4 Pro and Xbox One X launched, the base consoles continued to outsell them.
Smart phones are basically a necessity for billions of people and range in price from like $50 to $2000. Gaming is a hobby and the difference in price between a Series S and X isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things.

When it comes to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, they are more powerful, more expensive, versions of the base console aimed at enthusiasts, of course they sell less.

This gen, PS5 and Series X are the base consoles while games will get down ported to the Series S, obviously not the same thing and they're launching at the same time instead of a few years apart. Traditionally, as many people have already pointed out, cheaper versions of consoles sell much worse at launch.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you just suck at reading good lord

Ok but Jim didnt even mention Series S in this interview. He's talking about Sony's history with attempting to do something similar. It hasn't worked out for them.

Not just Sony though. He's talking about the game industry in a broader sense:

One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past.

And in the interview he mentions competitors:

The first thing I would like to say is that I respect every competitor's decision and their philosophies," Ryan said.

Clearly, price is a very important factor. We respect other companies' competitive strategies. However, we are fully committed to and believe in our current strategy and the effect it will have.

So he's clearly not just talking about Sony in this interview. And we know exactly which competitor he's talking about here.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Bruh, all he's saying is a PS5 version of the Series S wouldn't work for Sony, which is 100% right. Sony is always about pushing the hardware to the max and having a weaker console just for the sake of it wouldn't exactly work for them.

Then why are Horizon, Spidey and presumably others releasing on the PS4?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
For people who only have so much to spend - or only passing interest in consoles - they aren't gonna see the XSS that way. And when you offer the monthly pricing option that Microsoft is doing, it makes it easier for those who do want an xsx to go that route, too.

Microsoft is being far more consumer friendly in their messaging for next gen than Sony, and I think it's going to do them favors.

Hell, I'm on a gaming enthusiast forum with money to afford a PS5, and I'm still going with a series s instead.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm drawing a blank on what historical examples he's referring to. Also, after this week I can't say I trust him much.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Smart phones are basically a necessity for billions of people and range in price from like $50 to $2000. Gaming is a hobby and the difference in price between a Series S and X isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things.

When it comes to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, they are more powerful, more expensive, versions of the base console aimed at enthusiasts, of course they sell less.

This gen, PS5 and Series X are the base consoles while games will get down ported to the Series S, obviously not the same thing and they're launching at the same time instead of a few years apart. Traditionally, as many people have already pointed out, cheaper versions of consoles sell much worse at launch.
PS3 20 Gig sold out at launch and was much harder to find than the 60 Gig. Xbox 360 arcade also sold out at launch (although my memory is that it was easier to find than the regular 360).

What else do we have?

And again, I didn't bring up the idea that Sony looked at non-gaming products. I was asking someone who did what products they thought Sony looked at. I listed three different suggestions. It was an open ended question.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
1440p is a marketing trend. I'd wager that Series S will largely be at 1080p for much of the gen.

There's also possibility of hardware ML based lossless upscale from sub 1080p with near imperceptible quality loss. Kinda like what NVIDiA is doing with DLSS. MS has shown this off using Direct ML in the past.

I totally expect that to happen, but I think you could probably just see per-pixel complexity surging further to take advantage of that. The alternative would be that the higher end consoles would either be idling themselves to some or other extent with 4K output, or strive toward 8K.

The other alternative is that per-pixel complexity has hit a plateau, or will do so to coincide with high quality native-res alternatives like dlss. Which could happen, and maybe will happen, and thus make this generation 'different' in terms of trends in how demanding games get.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only slightly similar past example I can think of is the Wii U but the Switch immediately counters it anyways so what is he even talking about.

Oh and don't get me started on the Wii success, especially with how the PS3 turned out around the same time.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Microsoft surely sold move Xbox One S units than they did X?
They did. Sony sold more PS4 units since PS4 Pro launched than they sold PS4 Pros. Those aren't really analogous though, so I don't think that example contradicts Ryan, due to them launching years apart. Launching a range of hardware of different strengths is a rather different scenario to launching a more powerful one a few years down the line.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Will all future PS exclusives be on the PS4? What about R&C and Demon's Souls in a couple months?

Jim himself proclaimed support for the PS4 for 3-4 years, no? You can bet there will be more "cross-gen" releases on a console that is much weaker than the Series S, so this is quite a strange thing to say.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Everyone here comparing previous consoles but the Nintendo 2DS and Switch Lite are absolute beasts of system sellers and they are a bigger downgrade than the Series S.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Brah they always clapback through twitter, what are you talking about? lol
It did happen outside Twitter too, but it's not a big deal really

www.theverge.com

Xbox’s Phil Spencer: PS4 Pro is an Xbox One S competitor, not a true 4K console

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly Sony has data they feel is analogous and made their decision based on it. It's not like Ryan is saying Ms are giving dumb it something. People are getting really defensive about anything he is saying.
I doubt it. Smaller or no storage SKUs, sure, but I don't think this ever happened before (completely different GPU and memory specs, and a pretty low price tag).
The Xbox Series S has 4 teraflops of GPU performance, compared to the 12.15 teraflops on the Xbox Series X
It's a 1080p/1440p console. So, what they're doing is no different than what PC gaming has been since the beginning. You'll have a low spec Xbox-branded "PC" and a high spec Xbox-branded "PC", both based on the same architecture. In a way, it's somehow a proven strategy, just not in the console space.

I feel like their Game Pass trojan horse has a chance to do very well.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I can only think of some of Nintendo's portable console revisions that had considerably less features than the initial release (eg 2DS).

Oct 27, 2017
This console-wars headline. Ban this clickbait shit.

In the interview, Jim Ryan goes out of the way to NOT call out the competition, and says that he respects all strategies and decisions made by others. The article has needlessly bolted XSS in the headline to inflame the warring, like it is the Sony executive himself criticising XSS/MS.

And then the article further sows the console-warring lines by quoting a developer who HAS ALREADY DELETED THE TWEET. Either reach out to the developer to ask for clarification, or don't report on the invalid information. It is like that quote: if people are reporting that it is raising outside, you don't present both sides, you figure out if it is true or not.

Please, no more console-wars articles.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Sony: We chose strategy A because we calculated it's better than strategy B.

MS: We chose strategy B because we calculated it's better than strategy A.

Obviously they each believe in their strategy, otherwise they would have chosen the other one.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep all the data, analytics, and the people who spend 8+ hours a day counting beans for Microsoft indicated the series S would not have great results so they went ahead with it anyways. They didn't even consider alternatives.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
*If* the engineering pays off and the Series S lands comfortably with 1080/1440p versions of the exact same titles at the same performance ballpark, this sort of criticism will ring especially hollow in retrospect. I'm not even sure what precedent he's referencing, but we'll know either way in a few years. I think this comes across as him categorically saying "a value-priced version of a console is a path to failure," which sounds silly in the present.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Demon's Souls looks amazing, graphically, but it's a PS3 era game design. Whether there's a PS4 version or not, doesn't really have any bearing on the PS5 version. It's not doing anything gameplay wise the PS4 couldn't do, because it's not meant to. Because it's meant to play like the PS3 version (QOL adjustments aside) and look really fucking pretty (which, job done!).

So yeah, I do not remotely understand why people are worried if its cross gen or not. It won't make a difference to how it plays on PS5, and uhh, since it's clearly the best-looking launch title... who cares what other platforms do or don't exist?

I don't subscribe to the mindset that dislikes cross gen for games like Horizon 2, but that I can at least understand. Concerns about Demon's Souls specifically? Yeah, you've lost me completely.