• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even in that comparison if you look at the 2DS which launched on a healthy ecosystem and did extremely well. It's really new ground. Recent indications would show that it might be great. The Switch is selling amazing at that price point. It's a great entrypoint for children which do well on Xbox because of exclusives like Roblox.
Nintendo is a special case with their handhelds. Looking at this comments again and he mentions "consoles". So yeah. Whatever, it's his opinion and imo the right choice. A powerful next-gen PlayStation for $399 is a mass-market price. Good decision overall.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People will jump on him because of the latest PR spins...but he is not wrong in this one.

Oct 30, 2017
There isn't much precedence for this to say how launching two SKUs with different power at once would fair.

But the PS4 was quite successful at the $399 price tag and Sony managed to hit that target again. I don't think they needed a $299 price tag. They can get there in time.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the exact opposite happen only one gen ago when the top line PS3 (with backwards compatability and more ports) absolutely tanked and they had to replace it with a cheaper version that took those features away.................hmmmmmmmmm

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I know what he's talking about but he's got nothing in history to compare to because none of the examples are the same as what MS is doing with S and X and the £200 difference. Hence it's easier to look at different competing products that are on the market at the same time.

And again, you could simply look at PS4 base and XBO S and how they continued to outsell their Pro/X counterparts every month.

I suppose it's more a question of how well a sub-XBO S system would hold up now, rather than how a PS4/XBO-S does. Both show their age, god knows what an even less powerful Xbox One would have been doing in the latter part of this gen.

Parsing around his quote about 'history' and what 'history' he's talking about, in the end the question with something like the Series S or a hypothetical cut-down PS5, is how well it would hold up in the latter stages of the generation. IMO it is a bit of a gamble that they'd hold up well when even 'normal' base consoles have had problems historically as a generation has worn on.

Oct 28, 2019
Thinking on it more, ironically the one console that did release in a timely manner (so no Wii Mini or PSP Street) and was actually gimped in specs (so no 360 Arcade etc) was successful lol

The 2DS

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, while I do plan on getting a Series S myself, I can see the model being discontinued in 3 years or so. I think it will sell considerably worse than Series X.

Most, if not all, console versions with reduced features failed to impact the market, let alone one with reduced specs too.
But there are hardly any reduced features. It simply targets a lower resolution. The feature set is exactly the same.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Nintendo is a special case with their handhelds. Looking at this comments again and he mentions "consoles". So yeah. Whatever, it's his opinion and imo the right choice. A powerful next-gen PlayStation for $399 is a mass-market price. Good decision overall.

Yeah at $399 they really don't have the space for a cheaper option. They went more aggressive and decided the increased royalties from only digital sales made it worth it to drop the Digital Edition by $100.

I think the PS5 will probably still sell more, just because it has a bigger worldwide presence. Really it's just 2 different approaches to the market, I don't necessarily think either are wrong.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Not sure where he said they considered a "lower-spec PS5"? Talk about a sensationalist headline.

At least, they made the right call. Rather take the bath on the one console, than release a gimped one which is gonna struggle few years into a new gen.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
As someone getting a Series X I'm not gonna lie, Series S worries me. For the first couple years I'm sure it'll be fine but games having to run on a 4TF console with 8 gigs of RAM in 2026 is kinda concerning. Hopefully they stop mandating that games run natively on it at some point. Have it run natively on X and via Xcloud on the S.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only 1:1 comparison is what Xbox is doing now, so it's not like there's a wealth of feedback here. Everything else was staggered (mid-gen upgrades) or was about storage. I don't know what he's talking about.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
it's funny that the only example I can think about is PSVR.

By far the lowest Specced 'high end ' VR solution on the market. Worked with the weakest hardware 1.8TF PS4 and had the worst tracking of them all. backed by the worst minimum CPU and GPU requirements

yet nobody has ever made the argument that PSVR held VR back. Because VR devs learnt to downscale their experiences from higher end hardware.

Not rocket science.

I'm not talking about strategy, i'm talking about a low spec next-gen console. A Next-Gen console, must be NEXT-GEN.

If you create a low-spec PS5, you can't show the true power of next-gen (because of bottleneck).

I thought the general consensus was that CPU and SSD were the true transformative next gen changes? Why's the goalpost moved now?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone jumping on him actually read the article and the quotes. He isn't talking shit about Ms just saying they don't believe it would be a good fit. Also his lower spec comment is probably about the different PS3 models.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They hit the 399 price point, no point in making a weaker PS5 that will only impact game development the longer the gen goes on. PS5 has got itself in a great spot, sandwiched between a cheaper and weaker system and also one which is stronger.
Agree. The DE was a good move for that middle spot and 399 price point.

And I'm glad they didn't get completely scared of the Switch and Series S and make it weaker. Makes the possible mid gen refresh interesting.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I guess he was looking at the gimped versions that released mid-gen and said "Nah, we don't needed that". And yeah, releasing a high-spec and low-spec console at the same time at launch? Can't remember that ever happened.
In the end it's the right decision. $399€ is a mass market price for a powerful next-gen console. And it's a new PlayStation. They made the right choice.
They both made the right decision. There's a right decision for PlayStation and a right decision for Xbox and they aren't always the same thing.

XSS provides a low barrier to entry for Game Pass. And it provides MS a key differentiator against such a dominant brand. Sony isn't in that position nor do they even have the same end goals anymore, so the status quo works just fine for them.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I think both approaches work tbh

Series S seems to be well designed to scale things down, I think it'll be successful even if it means some extra optimization work at times

PS5 DE is cheap enough to make the argument that it's better to have no compromises besides the drive for a 100 dollar difference

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
He added: "Based on our research, it's clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.

"They want to have faith that if they end up buying a new TV that their current console will be able to support that new 4K TV they are considering on buying."

I mean ... he's not wrong ..

but herr derr 'lyin Ryan and all that, mirite Era ?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad there's only one baseline for the PS5, i'm sure there won't be any issues for Xbox due to the Series S being weaker but at least for Playstation this eliminates the possibility entirely.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Either he's talking about something like the Wii, in which case... he's dumb, or he's talking out of his ass. There hasn't really been an equivalent for what the Series S is, before.

Oct 27, 2017
I think he means a weaker spec than an existing sku in the same family?
I struggle to think of examples.. Wii mini? Was that successful?

I don't think it's even the case of the Wii Mini, which was still a Wii (though without a disc drive). That was a cheap, end-of-life revision. It had the bare minimum hardware to be a Wii, but it was still a Wii. Same power and stuff. It looked good, too! But that was it. And it was a massive flop.

I'm sure Sony will release hardware revisions down the line. I can see them packing more internal storage once production ramps up due to demand. So, what I think is that Jim Ryan is directly calling out Microsoft's strategy of releasing two different specs of the same family at the same time. The XSX is substantially more powerful than the XSS, beyond drive space. That in itself creates a division for devs and users.

Now, did Sony really think about it? Dunno. Sounds extremely convenient to be talking about this right now...

But there are hardly any reduced features. It simply targets a lower resolution. The feature set is exactly the same.

There are already clear differences between the two consoles. Backwards compatible games from Xbox 360 and Xbox One will be running at Xbox One S specs, without X1X enhancements.

Tribal24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is right to a extent. I think everyone is just looking at it from one perpective . Both Sony and Microsoft have different strategies.