• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently people are fed up enough that they've established a 6 block area that is essentially a small autonomous region. Shit is wild. Police are absent from the area, in their place folks have taken it upon themselves to begin armed patrols to keep the peace and bounce Proud Boys and other fascists. This used to be a smaller zone before it encompassed a Police precinct on Cap hill.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
You're fooling yourself! We're living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

K53kTdj.gif

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm confused how this works, is this long-term sustainable? Is it actually possible to be ignored by the government?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused how this works, is this long-term sustainable? Is it actually possible to be ignored by the government?

Ultimately it depends on how many people complain, and if there's anything there that the city gives a shit about.

Like if you go fuck off into the woods and make a commune, no one is going to pay attention unless you start, I dunno, abducting people, or selling drugs, or hording weapons, or whatever. In a city, you pretty much exist for as long as the authorities tolerate you with benign neglect.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

This isn't even supported by most of the people who actually live in that neighborhood. It's essentially a declaration of occupation by the protesters, which is fair enough, but I don't think there's any illusions it will continue beyond the duration of the protest on the part of, uh... anyone reasonable.

Like, it's the PNW, there's some fringe anarchists out there who are hoping we're going to suddenly become Shadowrun, but most of the actual protesters are really just saying "hey leave us alone cops".