• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll preface this by saying I know Jack squat about cars. I went to start my car my lights and blower came on fine. When I tried to start it though it chugged then it didn't try turning over any more and there was a clicking sound that was fairly rapid but slowed down quite a bit as I gave it a few more tries. What does this sound like to you? I'm charging my battery jumper now hoping that's all it is is a too low battery.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am stupid today and am not exactly understanding what you mean, but I think from what I get it sounds like the battery is indeed empty.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I work from home & have barely driven it the last few months. Which I now read can lead to the battery draining.
Yeah, that's almost definitely it.
You actually need to drive your car sometimes for it to be in good condition.
Like 10k-15k kilometers per year is more or less the sweetspot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's almost definitely it.
You actually need to drive your car sometimes for it to be in good condition.
Like 10k-15k kilometers per year is more or less the sweetspot.
Yeah ever since starting this at home job I've kind of become a hermit. This just gave me the wake up call I need to get out more.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah ever since starting this at home job I've kind of become a hermit. This just gave me the wake up call I need to get out more.
Just drive away for the week end, visit some stuff or go to a theme park or something like that.
Also depending on your type of motor, you should definitely drive at least once per week at more than 100km/h for at least 5 minutes so that your particles filter stays clean.

OP
OP

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just drive away for the week end, visit some stuff or go to a theme park or something like that.
Also depending on your type of motor, you should definitely drive at least once per week at more than 100km/h for at least 5 minutes so that your particles filter stays clean.
Will do starting today once I can jump the battery.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get a 2/4/8amp charger and put it on the battery when you're not using it.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a dead battery to me.

Def a dead battery.
That clicking is the starter motor trying its best with too little power.
As you keep trying it drains the last bits and eventually stops.

If not its then its the starter motor itself that has failed.

Slightly Off Topic.
With Hybrid cars that use the emotor as a starter, what happens when the battery(ies) are low does it still make the telltale low battery clicking from the motor?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The folks already covered it. I'm used to it as I have an S2000 that doesn't get much use and I keep forgetting to disconnect the battery. I remembered this most recent time at least!

FWIW, the small car starters work great. They look like a larger portable battery and can also be kept in the car for charging phones and whatever.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Might as well have the neighbor give you a ride to get a new battery. Make sure you get the appropriate one for your car.