• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Behaviour analysts say children's minister Lisa MacLeod and her staff threatened to make their lives miserable for the next four years if they didn't endorse the government's changes to autism services.

In a memo to members Wednesday, the board of the Ontario Association for Behavioural Analysts said "the minister and her staff requested that ONTABA provide a quote of support, without providing full details on the program, and indicated that failure to do so would result in 'four long years' for the organization."

It went on to say that "the minister also indicated that if a quote of support was not forthcoming, a communication that behaviour analysts are 'self-interested' would be released from her office ... In spite of the implied risk, the organization refused."

One analyst who attended the Jan. 29 meeting in advance of the government's autism announcement, said it was "more akin to meeting with a mob boss than an elected official."

The rift with ONTABA is part of an escalating division between the Ford government and some in the autism community in the wake of the Progressive Conservatives' system overhaul, which MacLeod has pledged will make funding more equitable and clear the massive wait list for services within 18 months.
Source: https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...four-years-if-they-didnt-support-changes.html
Be that kind of evil if old.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
This is all about Doug Ford, isn't it?

How could anyone vote for that guy? He seems just as slimy as any conservative politician in the US.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
While I was in Montreal, the waitlist was also a shitshow. The only viable path forward was to pay for private services and begin a long term (years and years) fight against the government to review my kid's file until it hit the desk of somebody willing to give the appropriate amount of disability funding (Because if you do win, they will retroactively apply the funds). There was a strong resistance to the idea of autism as a major condition, and as you might imagine, a strong preference to stick to the system, which will quickly age your kid out of services unless you fight for it.

To make it even more harsh, they (CA and QC) do at some point need you to "re-prove" that your kid has not miraculously recovered.

I absolutely think covering kids for private programs makes sense (to address the shortage) but the age restrictions on funding are insane.

Global News Story said:
The changes announced Wednesday by Children, Community and Social Services Minister Lisa MacLeod include giving funding for treatment directly to families instead of regional service providers, dependent on age, with up to $140,000 for a child in treatment from the ages of two to 18.

Families will receive up to $20,000 a year until their child turns six. From that time until they are 18 it would be $5,000 a year.

But intensive therapy can cost between $60,000 and $80,000 a year, said Ontario Autism Coalition president Laura Kirby-McIntosh, which means that families will quickly burn through the funding.

Most families cannot hope to afford a truly intensive program, but the hourly rate for therapy is (in my past experience) around $150. 20 hours a month (half the recommendation for any medium case) and you're already at $3000/month. Per that article quote (and ignoring both taxes on the therapy and other costs like BCBA visits) you're basically screwed once your child is 6. And existing kids stuck in the waiting list are hurt further because they don't get credit for the years missed.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This just gets worse every day. How much lower can we go?

6XkS4Pr.jpg

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Absolute garbage administration. Morons of ontario looked to the U.S. and thought 'yes, let's have that'.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
To be fair, I asked my wife and I think we both agreed: compared to the existing system, we would just take the money. Private therapy is typically superior and more flexible, and the government program (at least in QC) was bone-thin and extremely time-limited. And that's not even counting the paperwork, tests, etc.

But it would be taking scraps over nothing, rather than being a realistic solution. Most families in private therapy are probably spending more on therapy than rent/mortgage.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I asked my wife and I think we both agreed: compared to the existing system, we would just take the money. Private therapy is typically superior and more flexible, and the government program (at least in QC) was bone-thin and extremely time-limited. And that's not even counting the paperwork, tests, etc.

But it would be taking scraps over nothing, rather than being a realistic solution. Most families in private therapy are probably spending more on therapy than rent/mortgage.

This has all reminded me of how honestly surprised I am Canada doesn't seem to have an equivalent to CAMHS. Like, the US I understand - as much as it frustrates me - but Canada so commonly snipes the US about free health care, so that it seems to preclude mental health care is just... Wut. It's bad enough that we still have to pay for it as adults over here, but at least if you get the diagnosis early you can get support (though the quality thereof can be a dice roll). Wouldn't have made it this far without it.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
It's bad enough that we still have to pay for it as adults over here, but at least if you get the diagnosis early you can get support (though the quality thereof can be a dice roll). Wouldn't have made it this far without it.

With kids and autism spectrum issues, it's especially tough because your energy is already burnt on raising a kid, and then one day...your kid regresses. Maybe they don't talk, or they forgot some core skill. So now you have to go through panic>acceptance>diagnosis>treatment with very little help from the standard medical community while also doing the day-to-day childcare thing.

So when you find out there's a waiting list, or the hours are not good, it's especially difficult, because all of the literature says "act now" and the mechanics of the system prevent it. Which is why there are organizations like the one in the article (I presume, never having interacted with that one) that have emerged to educate and fight for resources.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
With kids and autism spectrum issues, it's especially tough because your energy is already burnt on raising a kid, and then one day...your kid regresses. Maybe they don't talk, or they forgot some core skill. So now you have to go through panic>acceptance>diagnosis>treatment with very little help from the standard medical community while also doing the day-to-day childcare thing.

So when you find out there's a waiting list, or the hours are not good, it's especially difficult, because all of the literature says "act now" and the mechanics of the system prevent it. Which is why there are organizations like the one in the article (I presume, never having interacted with that one) that have emerged to educate and fight for resources.

Made worse I imagine if 'acting now' looks like it would basically bankrupt you. $3000 a month, jesus. That's just a no-win scenarios for kids

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This has all reminded me of how honestly surprised I am Canada doesn't seem to have an equivalent to CAMHS. Like, the US I understand - as much as it frustrates me - but Canada so commonly snipes the US about free health care, so that it seems to preclude mental health care is just... Wut. It's bad enough that we still have to pay for it as adults over here, but at least if you get the diagnosis early you can get support (though the quality thereof can be a dice roll). Wouldn't have made it this far without it.
Oh, Canada in general fucking sucks when It comes to healthcare. No Pharmacare, no Dental, no Optical, Mental Health is spotty, Ambulances cost a shit ton of money.

Too many Conservatives are against any improvements to the system. Vitching about they will pay for them when we have decades of research showing that this fucking shit pays for itself.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy their one term while they can.
Ford is going firesale with the province and he's going to ruin every one in his orbit too. Christine Elliot? Carolyn Mulroney? Lisa Mcleod? Doing all the public dirty work and taking the blame for Ford's shitty policies. Apparently, like his late brother's widow, Doug Ford is about ruining womens lives for his own gain

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the Federal Liberals messed up massively with regards to SNC-Lavalin, I'm scared at the possibility of a Conservative federal leadership. Andrew Scheer is Harper 2.0.

I already have a hard enough time coming to terms with the fact that the Ontario PCs won without a platform and are doing everything they can to make things worse in Ontario.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I'm sorry CA people suffering from these changes. This seems insane and ass backwards. My nephew is Autistic and I couldn't imagine if this was going on in the US for my SIL and BIL.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They fucked over my son with this.

Diagnosed at age 2. He hit age 5 and they just dropped him from the program.

After protests we got back in with full funding about 2 years ago. And now it's gone again.

Fuck these assholes. My wife is trolling Lisa McLeod on Twitter trying to get blocked by her as a badge of honor.

I've read of people who are selling their houses to pay for this. One family is getting divorced so their household income is lower and they get the maximum amount.

I've been angry and depressed all week.

Who is benefiting from this penny ante trash fire?

Besides conservatives who don't want to pay for other autistic kids because it's not their problem?

They will set up some private agencies who will help guide people post diagnosis I'm sure.

They are full on destroying our government Republican style.

I can't wait for the inevitable war on the teachers union when they strike.

In the old system we got money directly and we could pay whomever we want. As long as it was supervised. They recommended 20 hours a week and it was covered. You could take the public option as well but most didn't.

This is so bad I'm probably moving to California this year. At least the shit insurance in the US has to cover autism therapy.

Living under Trump is better than under Ford

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
MacLeod is a fucking cunt of a person, even before this.

She's totally one of those snakes that claims to care about people but actively do things to make it worse. Her response to the gutting of the UBI pilot is near-GOP levels of cruelty, so I'm not shocked that that's her baseline, not a rarity.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
MacLeod is a fucking cunt of a person, even before this.

She's totally one of those snakes that claims to care about people but actively do things to make it worse. Her response to the gutting of the UBI pilot is near-GOP levels of cruelty, so I'm not shocked that that's her baseline, not a rarity.

Yup she was protesting with parents when the previous government tried to cut the program years ago.

She's just blaming Wynne for every decision they make

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This Ford guy's government sounds worse and worse the more I hear about him. My therapy in the US was invaluable, and I've read plenty of stories about how people who can't get therapy can struggle.

They fucked over my son with this.

Diagnosed at age 2. He hit age 5 and they just dropped him from the program.

After protests we got back in with full funding about 2 years ago. And now it's gone again.

Fuck these assholes. My wife is trolling Lisa McLeod on Twitter trying to get blocked by her as a badge of honor.

I've read of people who are selling their houses to pay for this. One family is getting divorced so their household income is lower and they get the maximum amount.

I've been angry and depressed all week.

Besides conservatives who don't want to pay for other autistic kids because it's not their problem?

They will set up some private agencies who will help guide people post diagnosis I'm sure.

They are full on destroying our government Republican style.

I can't wait for the inevitable war on the teachers union when they strike.

In the old system we got money directly and we could pay whomever we want. As long as it was supervised. They recommended 20 hours a week and it was covered. You could take the public option as well but most didn't.

This is so bad I'm probably moving to California this year. At least the shit insurance in the US has to cover autism therapy.

Living under Trump is better than under Ford

That sounds awful. Hope everything works out for you.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love neurotypical people continuing to make decisions on how autistic people should live their lives.

Source: Am Autistic.

Sadly I'd say that isn't even the issue at hand; it's about access to and appropriate funding for support services they would otherwise claim to... Well... Support. So they can claim they provide resources for autistic people when basic ass math says it's not enough. In a way, it's sadistic because their answer to 'how should autistic people live' is an apathetic shrug that may result in some... Not living, whether poetically or literally.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Based on comments I've read, they see autistic people as a burden on society.

The spiteful assholes who vote for such people think they'd be better off if they weren't burdened by paying for special needs children.

Crabs in a bucket.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Based on comments I've read, they see autistic people as a burden on society.

The spiteful assholes who vote for such people think they'd be better off if they weren't burdened by paying for special needs children.

Crabs in a bucket.

Unfortunately, disabilities - particularly mental disabilities - are especially subject to thinly veiled eugenics rhetoric. Though, many politicians end up opting for a slimier approach, because well, explicitly saying you hate the disabled gets a bad rep much of the time. So instead, you starve the services they require, and just claim you're trying to help as people suffer.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Ah. The Global article made it sound like a new feature. Quebec was basically public or nothing.

Anyway, hope everything works out for you. I won't lie, it was a factor in me leaving Canada too.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, disabilities - particularly mental disabilities - are especially subject to thinly veiled eugenics rhetoric.

That's what worries me. Right wing parties everywhere are becoming more extreme. In Ontario Ford has been targetting everything that helps impoverished people. Students, por families and now autistic children.

Social Darwinism.

Ah. The Global article made it sound like a new feature. Quebec was basically public or nothing.

Anyway, hope everything works out for you. I won't lie, it was a factor in me leaving Canada too.

You always had an option here. We hated the public agency in our area but we've had some private providers that were nothing more than glorified daycare.

I'm going to see if I can transfer to our US office in LA. Not what I planned but right now we've got nothing here. My wife is going back to school to get Psych degree so she can work with him better but we've got no other options here. At least we have family there who could help us out.