• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't there leaks/rumours that said Luke's saber was far more important to the story, still quite near to release? There was a rumour the movie opened with the saber drifting through space. Kylo's line, "That lightsaber, it belongs to me!" comes quite out of left-field in the final product as he seemingly wasn't bothered about it until that scene, like loads of context was missing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they did just release a 6 episode "making of" series for Frozen 2 on D+, where they spent hours talking about all the problems with the story
The Fallen Order documentary specifically points out the several times in development where they had to crunch for preview events like the debut trailer and e3 along with issues that the director had with some parts of the game that remained in the final product because they couldn't get fixed. Honestly you can find a shit ton of BTS info about several Disney productions including the multiple times they nearly cancelled something, thought something was gonna fail, or had production issues, so I have no idea what that post is talking about. 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that this is a thing that happens in film production is most likely why you aren't a producer. It's impossible to fully plan out the exact specifics of multiple brand new films that aren't adaptations of existing media, all of which go through revisions, and yes that also includes adaptations.

Want to bring up your IMDB credit list, then?

I never said they had to nail everything down and hold to it, so spare me the strawman.

They knew from the get-go they were doing a trilogy. It's ultimately on them they couldn't figure out shit to the point that they had different directors apparently deciding to go different directions with key plot points.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's a lazy derivative clone.

Maybe just used the storyboards from 1977?

It's a ridiculously entertaining, crowdpleasing and very well-reviewed movie that succeeds at what it sets out to do.

We're starting to reach Spider-Man 3 territory where the final film in a trilogy being bad retroactively makes the previous two films bad. They're both at 90%+ on RottenTomatoes for a reason.

Pointing out their flaws is fine but "hot trash" is lazy internet toxicity.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Making movies is a messy process. I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The Fallen Order documentary specifically points out the several times in development where they had to crunch for preview events like the debut trailer and e3 along with issues that the director had with some parts of the game that remained in the final product because they couldn't get fixed. Honestly you can find a shit ton of BTS info about several Disney productions including the multiple times they nearly cancelled something, thought something was gonna fail, or had production issues, so I have no idea what that post is talking about. 🤔
Yeah, all these projects we're talking about - Force Awakens, Frozen 2, Jedi Fallen Order - had rocky developments but also still turned out to be huge successes, so I'm not sure why Force Awakens would be the one project where they would want to hold back info on the development process. Like I would get it if there was a project that went through hell and then totally bombed when it released, but that description doesn't apply to these projects.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Literally not what the OP says, but I guess making shit up is easier than not making troll posts.

"In a 38-minute Q&A video, seen above, Rinzler In a new, lengthy Q&A video above, Rinzler claims that while the production itself might not actually have been as bad as it sounds, when you lay out the numerous minor problems that it encountered along the way, the cumulative effect of having them all in one book is that it makes the film look like it was a mess. Rinzler of course says that this is all his best guess, and not what he was told, but given his stature in the Star Wars community, some fans are already latching onto it."

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they did just release a 6 episode "making of" series for Frozen 2 on D+, where they spent hours talking about all the problems with the story

"We had some struggles, but we perservered and everything turned out okay!" isn't really the same thing as "We had a ton of massive problems, and not all of them were resolved well." The former makes for good whitewashed entertainment, the latter is the true grit that film buffs want to see but major corporations don't.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They knew from the get-go they were doing a trilogy. It's ultimately on them they couldn't figure out shit to the point that they had different directors apparently deciding to go different directions with key plot points.
Note, the original Ep. 9 was going in the same direction that was a natural followup to TFA and TLJ. TLJ isn't a different direction than where TFA was going because there WAS no direction after. Just vague ideas from a director who assumed that he was only working on the debut film, and who was excited after reading where another director took the beginning of his story and overall theme of "SW with a new generation receiving the torch." TROS went off the rails because of the writer's problematic ideas and a "back to formula" approach instead of saying "yes and"

"We had some struggles, but we perservered and everything turned out okay!" isn't really the same thing as "We had a ton of massive problems, and not all of them were resolved well." The former makes for good whitewashed entertainment, the latter is the true grit that film buffs want to see but major corporations don't.
When the end products are as good as they are focusing on how many issues there were during development seems misguided, given that outside of incredibly rare examples EVERY production with the scale and scope of a Disney level project will, over the course of the half decade long production time, have many many issues that when put in a short list will make it seem like there were CONSTANT issues and that there was never a point where shit went smoothly or that the project came together at the end, with the overall conclusion that the end product has no merit based on that info alone

What makes matters worse is that there are more than several people on websites like youtube who straight up make a living off of making the ignorant masses assume the bolded.

Yeah, all these projects we're talking about - Force Awakens, Frozen 2, Jedi Fallen Order - had rocky developments but also still turned out to be huge successes, so I'm not sure why Force Awakens would be the one project where they would want to hold back info on the development process. Like I would get it if there was a project that went through hell and then totally bombed when it released, but that description doesn't apply to these projects.
I don't think it's more complicated than the generally low opinion that the Star Wars films have now as a result of TROS, so throwing more wood onto that particular trash fire is the last thing the corporate brand needs right now, especially with the two films sharing the same director, who has since moved onto... well, not greener pastures necessarily, but away from Star Wars at least.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how the documentary presents it, personally I would definitely put Frozen 2 in that "We had a ton of massive problems, and not all of them were resolved well" camp. That's why it was so interesting (and validating) to see them go into so much detail about these problems that they were very much aware of during development.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I think the other thing most folks are missing here is that, Disney or no, JJ himself is notoriously secretive regarding his productions (which is ironic considering how leaky Bad Robot is).

Like, go check out the special features for Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness, they're just as sanitized and full of fluff.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I believe it. There were some rumours that film was meant to be muuuch more complicated than it ended up being. It's amazing that a lot of other people and I enjoyed the film as much as we did.

Would really like to know what the fuck happened with TROS tho. That SCREAMED studio shenanigans.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it. There were some rumours that film was meant to be muuuch more complicated than it ended up being. It's amazing that a lot of other people and I enjoyed the film as much as we did.

Would really like to know what the fuck happened with TROS tho. That SCREAMED studio shenanigans.

I mean, what happened was Carrie Fisher's death and Colin Trevorrow making The Book of Henry

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Was Rian Johnson lucky or really punctual and professional because his production was a alot smoother than Abrams

Kathleen Kennedy apparently did like working for him but both FA and TROS suffer from rush productions especially TROS
ESPECIALLY TROS

Rian Johnson is a few levels above JJ when it comes to filmmaking

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Note, the original Ep. 9 was going in the same direction that was a natural followup to TFA and TLJ. TLJ isn't a different direction than where TFA was going because there WAS no direction after. Just vague ideas from a director who assumed that he was only working on the debut film, and who was excited after reading where another director took the beginning of his story and overall theme of "SW with a new generation receiving the torch." TROS went off the rails because of the writer's problematic ideas and a "back to formula" approach instead of saying "yes and"

The biggest part of the reason that TFA is so problematic is that it had a job, to be the opening chapter in a trilogy, and it just ignored that. It just throws a bunch of memberberries at the screen and parades some random puzzle boxes around that aren't part of some kind of actual plan.

In between TFA and Star Trek Into Darkness it's impossible to not get the impression that JJ just makes film by whim and misguided nostalgia. And that was *before* his most recent outing.

It's probably all Kathleen Kennedy's fault, she's maybe lost it?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Carrie's death, when she was a HUGE part of the original script, (TFA--->Han, TLJ--->Luke, DOTF--->Leia), and the reception to Book Of Henry doomed that film.

The biggest part of the reason that TFA is so problematic is that it had a job, to be the opening chapter in a trilogy, and it just ignored that. It just throws a bunch of memberberries at the screen and parades some random puzzle boxes around that aren't part of some kind of actual plan.
Is the story of TFA a closed narrative that had no plot elements to follow, where every character reaches the natural end point of their arc?

Second: is the idea of a grand plan when it comes to a narrative an actual thing or something that youtubers told you was a thing?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

In between TFA and Star Trek Into Darkness it's impossible to not get the impression that JJ just makes film by whim and misguided nostalgia.

Yep.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Was Rian Johnson lucky or really punctual and professional because his production was a alot smoother than Abrams

Kathleen Kennedy apparently did like working for him but both FA and TROS suffer from rush productions especially TROS
ESPECIALLY TROS
Regardless of how you personally feel about Rian's vision for Ep 8, it was that very clearly defined vision he had for the movie that I think allowed everyone else on the production team to work so efficiently.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Oh wait this is about TFA? I first read it as TROS, and was like well yeah, we can all see how that was a total mess. But didn't realize this was about TFA as that turned out great and is mostly universally loved, etc.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of how you personally feel about Rian's vision for Ep 8, it was that very clearly defined vision he had for the movie that allowed everyone else on the production team to work so efficiently.
And this is only because the final draft of TFA is such a great opening to the trilogy. Rian had defined TLJ as a film before the first film had been released. The actors were reading his script before the film had finalized vfx. A lot of things were in his favor because the beats of TFA, even if the fanbase, cynic, and theory culture had deemed it to be completely predictable ala ESB 2.0. allowed him to answer the questions presented in a completely unpredictable but logical fashion. With the final film seemingly being written by reddit with how it tries to so neatly fit everything into a box.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's over and you step back and look at the sequel trilogy and the 2 spinoffs it's clear they just had no plan whatsoever. I don't know how you spend a billion dollars and can't even tell a coherent hero's journey story. Lucas' prequels are officially mid-grade Star Wars now.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly knowing about all the issues and messes during production would probably make me appreciate the final film even more.

I remember saying last year though that shooting for IX was going way too late with not enough time for editing and people thought everything was fine.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly knowing about all the issues and messes during production would probably make me appreciate the final film even more.

xXGSwW8.jpg

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
"In a 38-minute Q&A video, seen above, Rinzler In a new, lengthy Q&A video above, Rinzler claims that while the production itself might not actually have been as bad as it sounds, when you lay out the numerous minor problems that it encountered along the way, the cumulative effect of having them all in one book is that it makes the film look like it was a mess. Rinzler of course says that this is all his best guess, and not what he was told, but given his stature in the Star Wars community, some fans are already latching onto it."
So, not what you said. Read better.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't there leaks/rumours that said Luke's saber was far more important to the story, still quite near to release? There was a rumour the movie opened with the saber drifting through space. Kylo's line, "That lightsaber, it belongs to me!" comes quite out of left-field in the final product as he seemingly wasn't bothered about it until that scene, like loads of context was missing.
What's wrong with Kylo's line? He recognizes his grandfather's saber and is pissed off that a traitorous stormtrooper is using it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Hostility across multiple posts
i stand with my original post. I won't answer you any further, clearly you are confronting me and not telling me why you think I should "read better".
OP: they didn't publish the book because there was a lot of little problems in production that would make not so smart fans think it was a mess
This bolded bit isn't in the OP. It's never even inferable from the OP. It's a thing you made up either because you can't read or because you wanted to be a dumbass troll and call the people who are discussing the implications of the article "not so smart fans." Go troll somewhere else.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Well, it was more like the narrative of the story followed the lightsaber. It started it with being lost in space, landing on a planet, Rey eventually finding it and denying it, changing hands at various points with Finn, the saber picking Rey over Ren, and ending with her giving it back to Luke, bringing it full circle.

All it was just one additional scene that was cut (the original opening). The rest was kept in the movie.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not a rumor, Mark Hamill confirmed it, and we've seen some concept art from the original sequence. I believe the lightsaber was meant to be the initiating event, but not otherwise have much importance to the overall story.

Kylo's comment about the lightsaber was meant to just illustrate that he's obsessed with his grandfather and wants his property so he can keep doing his Vader cosplay. Kylo had not actually seen the lightsaber until that scene because it was in Finn's possession after Takodana.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
What I'm reading here is that production actually wasn't that rough but laying all the small details out makes it look like a mess so Disney decided to pass on this?

Sounds like a film production

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with Kylo's line? He recognizes his grandfather's saber and is pissed off that a traitorous stormtrooper is using it.
Just when you're aware of the 'leaks'/rumours, you can't help but be reminded of the supposed cut content when he says that line. Because Kylo was meant to be searching for Luke's saber more than BB-8. But then something changed and the focus shifted to finding BB-8.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're making an independent documentary on the making of a movie by doing research, interviews, etc., that's one thing. But this is a making-of mandated by Disney right? So it makes sense they would only want to release something that is not unfavorable to their product. This is the reality of the film-making industry in general nowadays, there is very little independence left, this isn't the 70s anymore.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
What were the production issues with TFA? This is the first I'm really hearing of it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm reading here is that production actually wasn't that rough but laying all the small details out makes it look like a mess so Disney decided to pass on this?

Sounds like a film production
We don't know it's a best guess but it is known TFA didn't have a smooth production i do like a theory here that with all the controversy and discourse Disney doesn't want to make bts of a messy yet to not throw more wood to the fire
I don't think it's more complicated than the generally low opinion that the Star Wars films have now as a result of TROS, so throwing more wood onto that particular trash fire is the last thing the corporate brand needs right now, especially with the two films sharing the same director, who has since moved onto... well, not greener pastures necessarily, but away from Star Wars at least.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it was more like the narrative of the story followed the lightsaber. It started it with being lost in space, landing on a planet, Rey eventually finding it and denying it, changing hands at various points with Finn, the saber picking Rey over Ren, and ending with her giving it back to Luke, bringing it full circle.

All it was just one additional scene that was cut (the original opening). The rest was kept in the movie.
Not a rumor, Mark Hamill confirmed it, and we've seen some concept art from the original sequence. I believe the lightsaber was meant to be the initiating event, but not otherwise have much importance to the overall story.

Kylo's comment about the lightsaber was meant to just illustrate that he's obsessed with his grandfather and wants his property so he can keep doing his Vader cosplay. Kylo had not actually seen the lightsaber until that scene because it was in Finn's possession after Takodana.
Just when you're aware of the 'leaks'/rumours, you can't help but be reminded of the supposed cut content when he says that line. Because Kylo was meant to be searching for Luke's saber more than BB-8. But then something changed and the focus shifted to finding BB-8.
I believe Rey's Force flashback was also originally depicting the "journey" of the lightsaber from Bespin all the way to Jakku.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kylo doesn't see the lightsaber until that scene.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know it's a best guess but it is known TFA didn't have a smooth production i do like a theory here that with all the controversy and discourse Disney doesn't want to make bts of a messy yet to not throw more wood to the fire
I could definitely believe that.
The discussion around Star Wars movies has become so bad over this trilogy (not that it was great beforehand) that I can see Disney just not wanting to add any fuel to it even if it's just minor normal production issues. People will dig too much into it, will throw blame at anyone even slightly mentioned in it (especially if any of them are women or people of colour) and it'd be a mess. Even if it's just Abrams stuff, people will latch onto it more than it probably deserves.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yeah that's my thoughts as well. Definitely messy enough at points to make the fanbase... well... act like the SW fanbase and assume it was a complete shitshow, so Disney was like "nah not for the first film".

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The firm release dates set by Iger and company fucked the trilogy imo (especially TROS).

I bet the back and forth between Kennedy and Iger is where the juicy stuff is.

Its a miracle 2/3 of the movies turned out well.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is also why the BTS features and "documentaries" on the Blu-ray are extremely sanitized; same with Rogue One, Solo and TROS. Disney cannot and will not formally acknowledge any form of BTS trouble on any production.
And why The Last Jedi's production doc is so long and in pretty in depth

Love him or hate him, Rian gets shit down without issues

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Canning Rinzler's book ultimately worked against Disney's preferred narrative. Instead of a definitive account, we have years of gossip and hearsay that collectively makes the production sound worse than it probably worse.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
What were the production issues with TFA? This is the first I'm really hearing of it.

There was nothing huge, but there were several issues that occurred that, when put together, make the production sound worse than it was.
  • The movie had roughly 5 months of pre-production without a full-time director since J.J. was busy finishing Star Trek Into Darkness.
  • It was determined that the biggest returning character couldn't appear much in the movie or he would detract from the new ones.
  • The original writer was let go after over a year of work and less than a year before principal photography.
  • The film got delayed six months because it wasn't going to make it's original intended May 2015 release date.
  • The writing process was so rushed that the shooting script wasn't completed until several days after principal photography started.
  • One of the stars broke his leg on set when a door fell on him and the director hurt himself trying to lift the door.
  • The shoot had to go on a two-week hiatus because of this during which time the relationship between two of the leads was rewritten. Originally, Rey knew right away that Finn was an ex-stormtrooper and was distrustful of him because of this. The scenes between them were rewritten and reshot so that Rey didn't know about his past and was friendly with him from the get-go.
  • J.J. and the editors kept tinkering with the film during the entire post-production process. There wasn't really a locked cut until November of 2015. John Williams, who had recorded the scores for the previous Star Wars movies in about 3 weeks each, recorded for months on The Force Awakens because the timings and sequences of scenes were constantly changing.
None of these are that unusual. Many movies hit several of these types of problems. Writers being switched out before filming begins is nearly bog-standard for blockbusters, as is a director not being there for the entirety of pre-production. And I think we've all become aware of how often blockbusters have reshoots these days. But there were no huge reshoots like in Rogue One or changing of directors during the main shoot like Solo, or death of an important actress like The Rise of Skywalker.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
Disney/Lucasfilm also sent lawyers after Rinzler for a history of Lucasfilm blog that he was putting on his own website. Apparently they didn't like ex-employees sharing their experiences.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
There was nothing huge, but there were several issues that occurred that, when put together, make the production sound worse than it was.
  • The movie had roughly 5 months of pre-production without a full-time director since J.J. was busy finishing Star Trek Into Darkness.
  • It was determined that the biggest returning character couldn't appear much in the movie or he would detract from the new ones.
  • The original writer was let go after over a year of work and less than a year before principal photography.
  • The film got delayed six months because it wasn't going to make it's original intended May 2015 release date.
  • The writing process was so rushed that the shooting script wasn't completed until several days after principal photography started.
  • One of the stars broke his leg on set when a door fell on him and the director hurt himself trying to lift the door.
  • The shoot had to go on a two-week hiatus because of this during which time the relationship between two of the leads was rewritten. Originally, Rey knew right away that Finn was an ex-stormtrooper and was distrustful of him because of this. The scenes between them were rewritten and reshot so that Rey didn't know about his past and was friendly with him from the get-go.
  • J.J. and the editors kept tinkering with the film during the entire post-production process. There wasn't really a locked cut until November of 2015. John Williams, who had recorded the scores for the previous Star Wars movies in about 3 weeks each, recorded for months on The Force Awakens because the timings and sequences of scenes were constantly changing.
None of these are that unusual. Many movies hit several of these types of problems. Writers being switched out before filming begins is nearly bog-standard for blockbusters, as is a director not being there for the entirety of pre-production. And I think we've all become aware of how often blockbusters have reshoots these days. But there were no huge reshoots like in Rogue One or changing of directors during the main shoot like Solo, or death of an important actress like The Rise of Skywalker.
The biggest thing for me is the fate of Lucas's treatment or whatever he submitted for Episode VII. Right or wrong, the optics of shitcanning his vision will never be favorable for Disney or LF leadership.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest thing for me is the fate of Lucas's treatment or whatever he submitted for Episode VII. Right or wrong, the optics of shitcanning his vision will never be favorable for Disney or LF leadership.
Iger goes into this in his memoir, VII was never not going to be a pandering movie. They needed to it be incredibly safe so that OT fans upset by the PT would come back.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Iger goes into this in his memoir, VII was never not going to be a pandering movie. They needed to it be incredibly safe so that OT fans upset by the PT would come back.

Does that mean it couldn't also, in the right hands, do its job of setting up a hero arc trilogy with foresight and planning? No.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Shitcanning" is pretty subjective. They kept a lot of major things from his vision, including the protagonist being a female Force-sensitive scavenger, the involvement of Anakin's grandchild, Luke being a hermit on a self-imposed exile, one of Luke's student having betrayed him, and Han's death and Luke's death, to name a few.

medium.com

George Lucas’ Episode VII

Everything we know about George’s vision for the seventh Star Wars movie.