• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

6XB4fQi.png

Kojima has gone on record to talk about Death Stranding's online elements in the past, stating that it is a large part of the game and that he's going for something different. Personally I think it'll be something akin to MGSV's nuclear disarmament in the sense that players around the world have to work together to achieve some sort of goal. There's that element of global player collaboration. If not that then maybe the game will mark where other players have died or experienced a voidout in the same vein of BB/Demon's/Automata.

--

Kojima added that most games, basically, have people going at each other like aggressors. He pointed out that action games developed as players facing off against a computer, which was followed by players battling online, then playing together in co-op against the computer, but still battling.

"This is my 31st year in the games industry and I've been deep in action games across that time. In action games, generally, the player has a gun and plays against enemies in a single player environment – or they take it online and play against other players in a competitive environment. They join in together with guns – [laughs] it's almost always with guns – to take down a stronger opponent. In this game you can do that but I wanted to go a little deeper beyond that with something that doesn't focus on a weapon like a gun and that's what has a connection to the strand concept."

"If you want to play the game stand-alone, without an online component, that's perfectly fine. We do have an online component and, again, it's different as there will be something different versus what most people expect from an online game. A lot of games have a 'campaign mode' and once you're done with that you take it to the online mode. This game is not that kind of structure."

Death Stranding will have action and combative elements, Kojima promised, but he wants the game to create links—strands, if you will—between players, instead of just having them try to knock each other down.

"I'm aiming for a new type of action," Kojima said. "With Death Stranding, I'd like to offer the next step, the future of gaming."

askyluipluhcvs18klig.png

Sources:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...interview-strands-decima-and-guerrilla-games/

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Despite having games with lots of chaos and violence, I love Kojima's somewhat consistent message of community, unity, and, depending on what this collaborative effort is with DS, peace.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Finally, the Citizen Kane of online games.

Seriously though, Kojima seems to be confirming than dismissing gameplay concepts while promoting aspirational philosophies. I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean but I get the sense we're getting more "Boktai: The Sun Is in Your Hands" Kojima than "Metal Gear Solid" Kojima. And I am all for it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't they drop the pretentious garbage and just show what the fucking game is about

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is going to be a whole game expanding on the "what if every player gets rid of their nukes" thing from MGS5, isn't it?

Just a theory I have based on the footage we have seen: a big part of the gameplay seems to be about delivering packages, and navigating this strange world whole carrying insane amounts of equipment load. I would hazard a guess as to say the items Sam is carrying are not just story-based items, but also items that can be used in the gameplay- that is, supplies, weapons etc.

I think the online element of Death Stranding will, at least partially, be about the player working cooperatively with other players over the different timelines/multiverses (the in-game explanation) to progress the game by delivering items to certain locations/spots so that other players can use them.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I wonder how these meetings with famous persons are. Does Kojima always have a translator on him? Or is his english good enough now to talk directly now?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Kojima added that most games, basically, have people going at each other like aggressors. He pointed out that action games developed as players facing off against a computer, which was followed by players battling online, then playing together in co-op against the computer, but still battling.

"This is my 31st year in the games industry and I've been deep in action games across that time. In action games, generally, the player has a gun and plays against enemies in a single player environment – or they take it online and play against other players in a competitive environment. They join in together with guns – [laughs] it's almost always with guns – to take down a stronger opponent. In this game you can do that but

I was pretty excited reading all the build up he was laying out there. Then he said "in this game you can do that" and it all crashed down. It doesn't matter what he says after the "but" because once you give players who are already used to this sort of gameplay because of the history of gaming, as he explained, giving them the option to do the same thing will mean that is the default option they will pick.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"what is this game" shitposting has already begun. Congrats, forum. I see we have a "kojima is a hack" post as well, great start!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty excited reading all the build up he was laying out there. Then he said "in this game you can do that" and it all crashed down. It doesn't matter what he says after the "but" because once you give players who are already used to this sort of gameplay because of the history of gaming, as he explained, giving them the option to do the same thing will mean that is the default option they will pick.

Except in Metal Gear shooting your way through situations isn't ideal at all, and it's far more satisfying to ghost or play non-lethally so... you're wrong.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think Kojima has been pretty good at discouraging lethal play in his games, so that's not too much of a concern for me.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't know Kojima was into F.Paul. And if the high praise is real it has my interest piqued considering Wilson's Adversary cycle is one of my favorite end of the world scenarios of all time.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Those black pool enemies are "dead" players living in the underground water world and they can team up to drag down alive players into their world. Screenshot this.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting to see that name. He wrote the Repairman Jack series. Given the speculation about Death Stranding and the Lovecraftian/cosmic horror mythology of Repairman Jack, I could see why he might be interested in this

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Except in Metal Gear shooting your way through situations isn't ideal at all, and it's far more satisfying to ghost or play non-lethally so... you're wrong.
Taking aside personal taste, using a silenced pistol to headshot every guard who is in the way when no one is looking is the most effective way of playing every MG game. No one is talking about guns blazing vs stealth anyway, the point he was trying to make is that action games are combative by nature, and you usually use a weapon like a gun to take out enemies - whether lethally or otherwise. The feeling he was challenging was aggression - which he acknowledges is in all his games too. So after saying all that, one would expect that he's challenging that by making a game which isn't aggressive by nature and doesn't have any form of "us vs them" design, but no he says it is the same thing but with some extra gimmick attached. I'm sure it'll be good because all Kojima games are really fun. I'm just disappointed he wasted all that lead up talking about the history of aggression design in videogames only to have it be a big fat nothing response to that.

I think Kojima has been pretty good at discouraging lethal play in his games, so that's not too much of a concern for me.
Again, this isn't about lethal or non-lethal. It's about challenging the idea that action games are about players facing adversaries - either other players or AI, and taking them on with guns or similar weaponry. Even in stealth games that's the case. Even in Portal, you use a gun of sorts. That was the narrative he was building - that we have become used to a gun being a solution to all problems. And then he says "yeah you can use guns in this game too".

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Transformative online experience = it will be a video game.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taking aside personal taste, using a silenced pistol to headshot every guard who is in the way when no one is looking is the most effective way of playing every MG game. No one is talking about guns blazing vs stealth anyway, the point he was trying to make is that action games are combative by nature, and you usually use a weapon like a gun to take out enemies - whether lethally or otherwise. The feeling he was challenging was aggression - which he acknowledges is in all his games too. So after saying all that, one would expect that he's challenging that by making a game which isn't aggressive by nature and doesn't have any form of "us vs them" design, but no he says it is the same thing but with some extra gimmick attached. I'm sure it'll be good because all Kojima games are really fun. I'm just disappointed he wasted all that lead up talking about the history of aggression design in videogames only to have it be a big fat nothing response to that.

Well sure I getcha, maybe it'll be like Red Dead 2 where going all shooty bang bang will lead to worse outcomes while doing it this different way Kojima is describing will be much like what the tranq gun is to MGS.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I will play this. I will love this. I will hate this. I love not play this. I will complain about not getting a sequel. I will remember this.

Let's do it, Kojima!

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I feel like every time somebody calls out another poster for being confused about what Death Stranding will be from a gameplay perspective I think some on here have seen videos others of us haven't. The E3 showed you walking, with only very vague ideas of stealth and the description of guns being apart of the gameplay. I'm sorry, but we don't know what it's going to be like to sit down and play for a couple of hours unless what we saw at E3 is basically it - and I don't think it is.

So please, instead of condescendingly saying we do know what the gameplay is take a few minutes to try to describe what the game will play like based on what we know. And unless there's more information about the game that has slipped passed me, we don't actually know a whole lot.

Sorry, I've grown pretty annoyed by the dismissals with this game, and to an extent other games where the moment to moment gameplay was either way more vague than some made it seem or how the developer described the game and what we were shown were incongruent.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Well sure I getcha, maybe it'll be like Red Dead 2 where going all shooty bang bang will lead to worse outcomes while doing it this different way Kojima is describing will be much like what the tranq gun is to MGS.

This game also seems like it might be less shoot shoot bang compared to MGS, but we'll see.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think it'll be more P.T. style online, where it's going to be about crowdsourcing solutions for one aspect of the game. Nothing to base this on really, outside of Kojima talking about how he wanted to do more of that type of thing, and how he way underestimated the solving speed of the collective with P.T. (it was intended to take at least a week to be solved).

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "having a huge lead up about a certain theme only to have a big fat nothing response to it" describes the majority of MGS titles.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't judge any of this until the game is in a presentable state and, uhh, it's clearly not sooooooo.

Not sure what to take from this if anything.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is either gonna be the most pretentious videogame mess in history or Kojima is gonna seriously change gaming as we know it.

Last edited: