• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
H.Protagonist you're in the UK at the moment right? What rice do you use if you can't get it from Japan? we use Nishiki, mainly because we can get it from Tesco which is convenient.

I think the Nishiki works just fine for most home cooking (we did the same Tesco grab when we first moved here), but you can order the Koshihikari online and have it delivered if you wanted to. I haven't seen it in-store anywhere, unfortunately, though. Amazon.uk used to have it and there's a specialty store (souschef.co.uk) that carry it, but it is a bit pricey. <--that's why I have the husband drag it home from abroad. :D

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This is good advice too.
Koshihikari is the default variety.
Learn how to properly remove the excess starch from it before you cook.
In Japan, you don't "wash" rice, you "sharpen" it.
The idea is not to remove impurities from grain but to get rid of the starchy layer that wraps it. It is easy to do and takes only 3 minutes. This is how I was taught and have always done:
1) pour rice in a big bowl (ideally the pan or the jar you'll cook it in).
2) quickly wash it with cold water: pour water, quickly give a few energetic turns to the rice, and quickly drain it. Do it twice.
3) once you've drained your rice the second time, put the bowl in front of you, take a fistful of rice in both of your hands and gently rub one against another. Repeat about 10 times.
4) give the bowl a 1/4 turn. Repeat step 3. Then repeat step 4, then step 3 again, then step 4.
5) rince (the water should be very white and full of starch). Rince again. And again.
6) repeat steps 3 and 4. Then step 5.
7) repeat step 6. By this time, you should have done about 90~100 rubbings, and the starch has visibly been removed. Rince a couple of times until the water comes almost completely transparent.
8) add the adequate quantity of water (if you're using a jar, there should be appropriate graduations written directly onto the bowl; otherwise the rule of thumb is about 1.2 portions of water for 1 portion of rice). Preferably use soft water (low on magnesium and calcium which can alter the taste).
9) let the rice absorb water for 30~60 minutes (the longer the better) - you can, however, reach acceptable results without leaving it at all.

That's it.
In 3 minutes, you should be done with the "sharpening" (i.e steps 1~7).
If you leave too much starch, your rice will bubble a lot (it can be a mess) and taste like shit. If you clean it properly, it'll taste delicious.

Don't be too harsh when you rub the rice otherwise you'll damage it.

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OPs link shows why the Japanese are so "thin".
Mostly unprocessed food, cooked at home, mostly lacking sugar.
Rice, eggs, soybeans, miso, fresh vegetables and fish in abundance.
No sugar laden cereals. Hardly any bread.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

rice with everything though, and high salt diet. Is rice carbs different/better than bread carbs?

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
rice with everything though, and high salt diet. Is rice carbs different/better than bread carbs?

I don't know how different it is, but I don't think bread in and of itself is the enemy.
Many people in Japan eat bread-based meals every single morning simply because it's convenient. It doesn't make them fatter.
Also, take the French for example. A typical French diet has bread and butter in every single meal, yet the French aren't nearly as obese as Americans or Mexicans.

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they're much of a muchness gram for gram but we definitely eat more bread and pastry.
Sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, wraps, etc. and we combine those often with potatoes (usually fried) and not a lot of fibre.
For people living in white collar dominated economies the volume we consume is bad.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I gotta start making oyakodon again soon. It's so easy and good, and it's been a while since I made it.

Thanks for the reminder!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Question about ingesting raw eggs (which I used to quite a while back): Isn't there a risk of contracting salmonella?

I saw this first hand with a muscle building roommate who ate 3 raw eggs a day (to be fair, he lived on canned tuna, milk, nuts and eggs, so it could have been anything). Food poisoning destroyed him for 2 months. He couldn't walk on his own for the first week.

It was unbelievable.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

I think the most important key points to the diet are: small portion sizes, not overly seasoned, high carb and low fat, low amounts of sugar, and broth with every meal.

Western food is served in large quantities, and is ultra palatable with high carb and high fat content. It's made to be addictive. A burger is the quintessential example of this. Extremely calorie dense, high in carbs, fat, sugar, and salt.

Japanese food can satiate with much lower quantities because it's not ultra palatable. What would you eat more of? A bowl of white rice with some nori, or a bowl of chicken fried rice?

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the derail but the moment I read this all I could think of was Council Man Jam from Parks & Rec making breakfast on his "authentic japanese HI-BA-CHAI"

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just remembering the tsukemen I had in Hiroshima. I might have to add that to my repertoire. Seems much easier to make than ramen.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its the drinking that makes us so fat.

Coke, beer, etc have a ton of calories but don't make you feel full. If you drink that shit daily for a few decades you are going to be fat unless you exercise like crazy.

Also, these threads are always a mistake for me. I look at the delicious pictures and I want to instantly eat whatever I see. We need Wonka-vision...

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trust me, the Japanese can drink a lot of alcohol too.
But when it comes to candy water, well...

Japanese energy drink
tiovita-2000.jpg

A cool 50ml

Western energy drink

355ml

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Question about ingesting raw eggs (which I used to quite a while back): Isn't there a risk of contracting salmonella?

Salmonella is on the egg shell, so you'd want pasteurized eggs. There are some places where you can buy them or there are methods to pasteurize them yourself.

But most people are fine without doing anything... just use really fresh and high quality eggs.

I think the most important key points to the diet are: small portion sizes, not overly seasoned, high carb and low fat, low amounts of sugar, and broth with every meal.

"Low" amounts of sugar--most dishes still require you to add sugar to them.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Anyone got recommendations for cooking vegetable dishes? Most cook books (not just Japanese ones) focus heavily on meat dishes. I am looking for more recipes where the vegetables are the stars. To be clear, meat broths, bits of meat okay. Just looking for tasty ways to cook bok choi, nappa, etc.

Anyone got recommendations for cooking vegetable dishes? Most cook books (not just Japanese ones) focus heavily on meat dishes. I am looking for more recipes where the vegetables are the stars. To be clear, meat broths, bits of meat okay. Just looking for tasty ways to cook bok choi, nappa, etc.

Do an eggplant bowl! Spring onions, eggplant, garlic, nori, chili flakes, soy sauce, brown sugar, etc... Soooo good and 'meaty' in its own way.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome topic, gonna browse for ideas here. One thing that I noticed was that the portions on the site you linked are all very tiny to American standards. Like when I saw someone had bread, I was expecting a full slice, but it seems even slimmer.

Also, I see a trend of natto. I could of swore that was disgusting, but might have to try it again for health sake. I think the Japanese and Koreans rank up there in life expectancy? They have to being doing something right.

I've done the egg over rice one time. I get scared i'll catch something though.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome topic, gonna browse for ideas here. One thing that I noticed was that the portions on the site you linked are all very tiny to American standards. Like when I saw someone had bread, I was expecting a full slice, but it seems even slimmer.

Also, I see a trend of natto. I could of swore that was disgusting, but might have to try it again for health sake. I think the Japanese and Koreans rank up there in life expectancy? They have to being doing something right.

I've done the egg over rice one time. I get scared i'll catch something though.
Natto doesn't have a super strong flavor by itself, but people find the smell and sliminess gross.

Tips for natto:

It comes with little packets of mustard and flavored soy sauce, use them
Mix it up before eating, but don't mix it too much or the slime gets a little out of control
Add chopped green onion or kimchi, or both
Eat it with rice. I usually just put it on top of a bowl of rice

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Natto doesn't have a super strong flavor by itself, but people find the smell and sliminess gross.

Tips for natto:

It comes with little packets of mustard and flavored soy sauce, use them
Mix it up before eating, but don't mix it too much or the slime gets a little out of control
Add chopped green onion or kimchi, or both
Eat it with rice. I usually just put it on top of a bowl of rice

Mix it with raw egg too...

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm just starting to learn some Japanese cooking and there doesn't seem to be any OT according to my searches.

I got my ajitama, tare, aroma oil and dashi ready to go here for my ramen tonight.

But I'd like to improve my skills and cook more authentic.

Is there anyone here on era that would like to create a Japanese cooking era |OT| ?

It would feel wrong of me to do so.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Short of it, wife uses cookpad.

Our house it's mostly bento, onigiri, yakisobas, and dons. Wife does most of the cooking and since she's from Tokyo she leans more on the salty side. I'm more of a sauce person so I have bulldog to compensate. Basically look up bento sets and donburi ideas and get a good rice cooker/learn to wash your rice. Grilled fish, specifically ponzu maitake salmon, is our most common protein. Wife also eats a lot of ten-don. (Tempura don). Every once in a while we go to the Japanese market for specific vegetables or some natto packages but otherwise we get everything at big chain grocery stores.

Now that I think of it, we also always seem to have frozen leftovers of Japanese curry. That and yakisoba are probably the easiest staples to always have around. That and tsunamayo onigiri but I get less of that since she doesn't like canned tuna.

Last edited: