• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I need some help coming up with authentic Japanese meals and a meal plan in general. I'd like to try eating an authentic Japanese diet for a short while (for fun, mostly), but am having difficulty finding reliable information online as to what Japanese actually eat in their day-to-day. I'm looking for something a bit more specific than: rice, fish, miso soup, and the usual preconceptions.

The best article I've found so far is the following (regarding breakfast):
https://soranews24.com/2015/02/20/whats-really-for-breakfast-japanese-people-tell-us-what-they-usually-eat-each-morning-【photos】/

I've recently gotten into eating rice with furikake, and am looking to include tamago kake gohan as a breakfast staple. I'd like to discover similarly common, yet relatively unknown Japanese staple foods.

Are there any Japanese ingredients, components, or dishes that you'd like to share with the community? Let's try to focus on traditional home cooking rather than the usual restaurant fare.

Last edited:

YoungFa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could have helped you if you wanted help with korean cooking. Dont know anything about japanese cooking.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Follow the blogs of female celebrities. There's a 99% chance they post their homemade meals every day.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I've done the rice and egg thing for breakfast, usually on weekends. All it is is fresh rice, a single raw egg, some furikake, and a touch of soy sauce.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Sometimes I have breakfast with my relatives here in Tokyo and they very often have fried eggs, pork belly (very common here, it looks like bacon but it's actually nothing like bacon), cabbage, and white bread in the morning. Sometimes with miso soup or instant corn soup. And of course they're all about their lunch boxes. Oh and they love this:

4902551012159_common.jpg

I don't.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I've done the rice and egg thing for breakfast, usually on weekends. All it is is fresh rice, a single raw egg, some furikake, and a touch of soy sauce.

Furikake is a completely new thing to me, and I'm hooking. I'm not used to bonito yet, so I'm just using sesame and nori furikake. Really transforms rice, though.

So far I've made it with: rice, egg, soy sauce, msg, mirin, furikake.

Here's a pic of Tamago Kake Gohan (courtesy of Serious Eats):
jqNCQpk.jpg

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I need some help coming up with authentic Japanese meals and a meal plan in general. I'd like to try eating an authentic Japanese diet for a short while (for fun, mostly), but am having difficulty finding reliable information online as to what Japanese actually eat in their day-to-day. I'm looking for something a bit more specific than: rice, fish, miso soup, and the usual preconceptions.

The best article I've found so far is the following (regarding breakfast):
https://soranews24.com/2015/02/20/whats-really-for-breakfast-japanese-people-tell-us-what-they-usually-eat-each-morning-【photos】/

I've recently gotten into eating rice with furikake, and am looking to include tamago kake gohan as a breakfast staple. I'd like to discover similarly common, yet relatively unknown Japanese staple foods.

Are there any Japanese ingredients, components, or dishes that you'd like to share with the community? Let's try to focus on traditional home cooking rather than the usual restaurant fare.

Most recipes will require the basic "sa-shi-su-se-so" (sugar, salt, cereal vinegar, soy sauce, miso) to which you also need to add cooking sake and mirin, so have those handy. Also have some konbu dried seaweeds and katsuo-bushi (skipjack-tuna dried flakes) to make your base bouillon which will serve for your soups as well as a wide variety of dishes.

From the top of my head, and in no particular order, here are a few very common Japanese homemade dishes. Most are easy and not very time consuming to make:
- Niku-jaga (stew made mainly of sliced beef with potatoes). Serve with rice and shiso-dressing salad.
- Tonkatsu (breaded deep-fried pork cutlet). Serve with white rice and finely shredded cabbage.
- Saba no miso-ni (macquerel simmered in miso sauce). Serve with white rice and o-hitashi (boiled green leaf vegetables, for example spinach)
- Buri no teriyaki (yellowtail (?) cooked in a soy sauce based sauce), serve with white rice and some clam suimono soup
- Sanma no shioyaki (salt-grilled pacific saury), serve with rice and miso soup with tofu and wakame
- Sake-chazuke (white rice in green tea with grilled salmon flakes). I like to add umeboshi (sour plum) and wasabi as well. Serve as is.
- Omurice (stir-fried rice with chicken and ketchup covered with a thin omelet). Serve as is.
- Chahan (stir-fried rice with... Egg, onion, some kind of meat and whatever usable leftovers you have).
- Shoga-yaki (sliced pork marinated in ginger and cooked), serve with white rice and raw cabbage leaves.
- Soboro (chicken mince, egg, rice)
- Oyakodon (chicken with onions and eggs served on top of a white rice bowl)
- Gyudon, Butadon (similar to the above but without egg and with beef or pork instead of chicken)
- Curry rice (easy homemade roux in case you can't get the commercial stuff: butter, all purpose flour, Garam Masala, Turmeric powder, Fenugreek powder - if you've ever made a white sauce roux, it's about as easy)
- Then of course soba and udon noodles, very quick to make unless you have to make the noodles from scratch (which is not difficult but time consuming).
- Also, of course, sashimi. Again, usually easy to prepare if you know how to handle fish properly.
For a meatier version of miso soup, try tonjiru (miso soup with pork and vegetables).

These are all extremely basic dishes you'll find in most homes on a fairly regular basis (depending on the cook's taste, of course).

Shioyaki (salt-grilled) fish is good with basically any type of fish, it is also very easy to make as long as you know how to empty fish properly. And have something to grill the fish with.
I personally prefer it with "blue" fish (like sardines, pacific saury, horse macquerel and the likes). Cut the skin in a diamond pattern, use hand-milled rock salt, be generous but not too heavy-handed, grill the skin until it blisters and becomes a bit crunchy.
Add a little soy sauce as well as grated daikon radish, serve with white rice and miso soup, and that's it. Quick, simple but highly satisfying meal.

Other basic staple-things that aren't very well-known abroad or often forgotten are boiled root vegetables (lotus roots, burdock etc.) as well as stuff like konjac.
Also, Hiya-yakko (silk tofu with a drip of soy sauce, ginger and katsuo-bushi).

You should also check out kara-age, gyoza and even tempura, although those are time consuming when homemade.
Buri-daikon (yellowtail with daikon radish), buri-kama (salt-grilled yellowtail head), and asari no sakamushi (sake-steamed clams) are also staple dishes at my home, as well as a range of Okinawan dishes you might not be very interested in (ingredients might be hard to find abroad. Try hirayachi if nothing else, you're sure to find most of the ingredients anywhere, and it's like the easiest variation on crepes ever - but still delicious).
Then there are also all the Chinese-inspired dishes such as ebi-chili (shrimp in hot sauce), Mabo-dofu (tofu with minced meat in hot sauce) or subuta (sour-sweet pork).

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Most recipes will require the basic "sa-shi-su-se-so" (sugar, salt, cereal vinegar, soy sauce, miso) to which you also need to add cooking sake and mirin, so have those handy. Also have some konbu dried seaweeds and katsuo-bushi (skipjack-tuna dried flakes) to make your base bouillon which will serve for your soups as well as a wide variety of dishes.

From the top of my head, and in no particular order, here are a few very common Japanese homemade dishes. Most are easy and not very time consuming to make:
- Niku-jaga (stew made mainly of sliced beef with potatoes). Serve with rice and shiso-dressing salad.
- Tonkatsu (breaded deep-fried pork cutlet). Serve with white rice and finely shredded cabbage.
- Saba no miso-ni (macquerel simmered in miso sauce). Serve with white rice and o-hitashi (boiled green leaf vegetables, for example spinach)
- Buri no teriyaki (yellowtail (?) cooked in a soy sauce based sauce), serve with white rice and some clam suimono soup
- Sanma no shioyaki (salt-grilled pacific saury), serve with rice and miso soup with tofu and wakame
- Sake-chazuke (white rice in green tea with grilled salmon flakes). I like to add umeboshi (sour plum) and wasabi as well. Serve as is.
- Omurice (stir-fried rice with chicken and ketchup covered with a thin omelet). Serve as is.
- Chahan (stir-fried rice with... Egg, onion, some kind of meat and whatever usable leftovers you have).
- Shoga-yaki (sliced pork marinated in ginger and cooked), serve with white rice and raw cabbage leaves.
- Gyudon, Butadon (similar to the above but without egg and with beef or pork instead of chicken)
- Curry rice (easy homemade roux in case you can't get the commercial stuff: butter, all purpose flour, Garam Masala, Turmeric powder, Fenugreek powder - if you've ever made a white sauce roux, it's about as easy)
- Then of course soba and udon noodles, very quick to make unless you have to make the noodles from scratch (which is not difficult but time consuming).
- Also, of course, sashimi. Again, usually easy to prepare if you know how to handle fish properly.
For a meatier version of miso soup, try tonjiru (miso soup with pork and vegetables).

These are all extremely basic dishes you'll find in most homes on a fairly regular basis (depending on the cook's taste, of course).

Shioyaki (salt-grilled) fish is good with basically any type of fish, it is also very easy to make as long as you know how to empty fish properly. And have something to grill the fish with.
I personally prefer it with "blue" fish (like sardines, pacific saury, horse macquerel and the likes). Cut the skin in a diamond pattern, use hand-milled rock salt, be generous but not too heavy-handed, grill the skin until it blisters and becomes a bit crunchy.
Add a little soy sauce as well as grated daikon radish, serve with white rice and miso soup, and that's it. Quick, simple but highly satisfying meal.

Other basic staple-things that aren't very well-known abroad or often forgotten are boiled root vegetables (lotus roots, burdock etc.) as well as stuff like konjac.

You should also check out kara-age, gyoza and even tempura, although those are time consuming when homemade.
Buri-daikon (yellowtail with daikon radish), buri-kama (salt-grilled yellowtail head), and asari no sakamushi (sake-steamed clams) are also staple dishes at my home, as well as a range of Okinawan dishes you might not be very interested in (ingredients might be hard to find abroad. Try hirayachi if nothing else, you're sure to find most of the ingredients anywhere, and it's like the easiest variation on crepes ever - but still delicious).
Then there are also all the Chinese-inspired dishes such as ebi-chili (shrimp in hot sauce), Mabo-dofu (tofu with minced meat in hot sauce) or subuta (sour-sweet pork).

Exactly what I was looking for! There is a ton of amazing information here. Thank you!

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Learn to make some tamogoyak too. It's delicious and fun.

I've got the pan for it. But wow, it's tough to make well.

Pour, flip, lift, repeat. Gotta flip and keep layering the omelette without it browning to avoid getting color in it. It definitely takes a lot of practice. It's definitely one of those dishes where being practiced with chopsticks really helps.

Last edited:

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got the pan for it. But wow, it's tough to make well.

Pour, flip, lift, repeat. Gotta flip and keep layering the omelette without it browning to avoid getting color in it. It definitely takes a lot of practice. It's definitely one of those dishes where being practiced with chopsticks really helps.

It is difficult! Her Dad made it for us when we visited in January. My girlfriend actually said she couldn't make it and said she's tried before... Thinking I need to inspire to learn :)

It's definitely more common to find if you visit. Do you plan on going?

And sorry, left off the i, I mean tamogoyaki!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Try Natto first before jumping in. Its a staple of the diet around here. Personally I can't stand the stuff.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
A lot of people have mentioned great dishes, including my favorite easy to make gyudon and oyakodon, but there is one thing missing.

Nabe (E: hot pot). I'll let this article do the talking.

The resulting dish is one of the healthiest you can get.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, become intimately familiar with making dashi stock and that will serve as a foundation for quite a few dishes.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
https://www.sirogohan.com/

I'm lucky to have access to a lot of Japanese produce/ingredients and I pretty much use this site exclusively, especially since it's still updated periodically. Never made anything on here that I didn't enjoy. Google translate works well enough for me, some things become lost in translation but you can always figure it out. His site covers everything from cutting techniques/prepping, side dishes, and full meals. You can find the different categories at the bottom of the site. His presentation and recipes have step by step pictures too which are really helpful.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I love Indian curry and Thai curry. Prefer Japanese. American tastes speaking probably.

But like... It isn't curry.
I mean I would kill for a Katsu Curry (actually my partner from Tokyo is gunna cook some today...) but there's so much more that goes into actual curry.

Hmm...

Man I want a Chicken Korma so bad rn

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some misoshiro with a bowl of rice and tsukemono.
Easy meal and pretty healthy.

A raw egg with a bit of shoyu on the rice is nice now and then.

Easy to make teriyaki whatever too...
Shabu shabu with a lot of veggies is pretty healthy...

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I mean I would kill for a Katsu Curry (actually my partner from Tokyo is gunna cook some today...) but there's so much more that goes into actual curry.

Hmm...

Nice gatekeeping going on here. Japanese curry is not your style, but it's still curry.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm...

Japanese curry is bascially spicy beef stew. I don't know if it has English connections but it feels almost like an English invention like Tikka Masala - perfect for our tastes. You can get spicy ones - although they're perhaps more 'peppery' than chili-spicy

And it as as much curry as a Thai curry is curry. And it is gorgeous. Only problem is you have to snarf it down it while it is scaldingly hot which means it is difficult to eat with a cold beer

My favourites
- Japanese curry
- tonkatsu - home made with pork fillet (I don't like fatty meat). Have it as tonkatsu one day, katsu curry, in sandwiches with tonkatsu sauce.
- Oyakudon - easy to make and delicious
- okonomiyaki - get some japanese kewpie mayo for this (japanese mayo is great, kind of halfway house between regular mayo and heinz salad cream)
- Simple miso soup
- Nikujaga - beef stew
- nikudango - stew with meatballs
- Nabe - hotpot
- Mabudofu - kind of a stew with pork mince and tofu. I'm no fan of tofu but this works really well. It particularly goes well with Taberu Rayu if you can find some - kind of a chili sauce with garlic chips in.

Last edited:

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I have heard it has English heritage too, which makes sense considering it's pretty damn tasteless :D

But that being said, no -- it is no where near "curry".

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales

Hmm...

Ain't nothing wrong with Katsu curry. Sure it's pretty much just the cheap, curry sauce you'd get from a chippy but it hits a spot other curries sometimes can't. Lamb Podina and Chikcen Malaysian Laksa are the best though imo.

Getting back on topic, I couldn't imagine having rice for breakfast. Not only would it take time to cook (if you didn't have any left over) but I guess always having it as a lunch/dinner carb makes it feel weird to have it for breakfast. Like having chips or pasta first thing in the morning.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, this man has you covered. This was basically what my dinners when staying with a host family looked like on rotation.

Nowdays, my wife tends to cook a lot more western dishes than traditional Japanese stuff.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
I like this site for basic Japanese recipes: http://www.japanesecooking101.com/
It's nice for me as an American because it's run by two Japanese women who live in America, so I don't have to do any measurement conversion and the recipes don't call for anything I can't get from stores in my area. YMMV based on your location.

Kamaji

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö, Sweden.
Makiko Itoh is a lovely resource when it comes to japanese home style cooking (http://justhungry.com/recipes/japanese). Both when it comes to actual recipes but also when it comes to understanding and handling ingredients and learning the cooking procedures of traditional japanese cuisine.

Some of my favourite recipes:

Raw tuna rice bowl: https://www.justonecookbook.com/easy-tuna-bowl-tekkadon/
Mackerel braised in miso sauce: http://justhungry.com/mackerel-braised-miso-sauce-saba-no-miso-ni
Miso marinated cod: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/black-cod-with-miso-105872
Agedashi tofu: https://www.justonecookbook.com/agedashi-tofu-2/

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Try Ochikeron: https://www.youtube.com/user/ochikeron

For a quick lunch I like to make Onigirazu - essentially rice sandwiches. Quick and easy. Made this one lazy Sunday, bacon and eggs filling.

3DEszJ8.jpg

Basically you sandwich your filling with rice and roasted seaweed using cling wrap. You can see one that's uncut in the top left corner of the image.

Time to beer up covered a lot of it for you, but it'd be good to create/stock yourself up with a dedicated Japanese foodstuffs drawer. There are a ton of condiments/toppings you'll want to get (mirin, dashi, soy sauce, miso paste, ponzu, konbu, sesame oil, nori, etc.) and if you can find it (I make my husband bring back 2kg bags of the stuff whenever he's there on business), get decent rice.

And this is the 'basics' cookbook that we use:

YX6lHo5.jpg

fLtjHzR.jpg

Our 'Japanese drawer':
UyidXMM.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
H.Protagonist you're in the UK at the moment right? What rice do you use if you can't get it from Japan? we use Nishiki, mainly because we can get it from Tesco which is convenient.