• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who do you favor?

• Australia

Votes: 51 24.2%
  • Canada

Votes: 160 75.8%

• Total voters

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Only one of those Australian shows i recognize is Beyond 2000 which was my jam 20+ years ago.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, two of the greatest products of Canadian and American brotherhood and collaboration. So Canadian.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Imo trailer park boys is up there with it's always sunny....so yea, for sure Canada.

Also, trailer park boys has the best theme in almost any show. Top tier

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Australia makes TV shows better targeted towards its culture.

Canada just makes American TV shows.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
As a Canadian who has lived in Australia for a while I can say that Australians care and watch far more of their own stuff than Canadians do.
Australia has a vast ocean between it and the US, whereas Canadians in major population centres were always able to put up an antenna and tune into US airwaves, which led to US network TV being on basic cable here. It's hard to program against that.

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Australia has Champagne Comedy

tenor.gif

I like you, I like you a lot!

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Australia made some really great kids shows back in the nineties. I remember being obsessed with Mission Top Secret and The Girl from tomorrow.

I feel like Australia makes TV shows better targeted towards its culture.

Canada just makes American TV shows.

You can only make so many references to hockey, maple syrup and the Tragically Hip before it becomes stale. The shows with "canadiana" in them are awful. The decent or good ones are those that you can't tell are canadian.

...or those from Québec.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to all the english language shows, Canada has quite a few great french series as well, and I'm usually not big on those.

19-2 , which also spawned an english version, which is supposed to be good too.

Série noire

La p'tite vie

There's more, I'm sure.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Australian TV = awful reality shows + some decent comedy + the occasional attempt at a darker police drama
Canadian TV = they actually bother with sci-fi, they win

I say this as an Australian.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of Curiosity Show segments being uploaded onto YouTube. It's an Australian children's show about science.

If you tie a string tightly around the circumference of Earth, then realise you needed to have people hold the string 2 metres above the surface all the way around, how much longer do you have to make the string?

PipefishUK

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in Australia, 90% of the stuff on TV was British stuff, or Australian versions of UK or US stuff.

When I was in Canada, I switched on the TV and Coronation Street was on...

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first couple seasons of Australian Idol were incredible and had better talent then any American Idol season. I've also liked the last few seasons of Australian Survivor. I can't think of any dramas I've enjoyed, though.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Canadian pride aside, Corner Gas is a legitimately funny show. If it was on Netflix, I'd drop The Office and Brooklyn Nine-Nine and binge-watch Corner Gas instead. So great.

ReBoot is also some damn good stuff. I refuse to give The Guardian Code even a second of my time or attention.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec just has the best shows.

That show is Lol :-)

Oh and, I haven't seen any mention of Just for Laughs.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canadian:
Today's Special
The Smoggies
Stickin Around
Tales of the Riverbank

Australian:
Round the Twist

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Canada wins, but as a Canadian I gotta say Australia puts up a good fight. I remember a ton of those Aussie shows despite never having set foot in the country. The Girl From Tomorrow aired here, as did Beyond 2000 (man that show was cool as a kid!). Danger 5 is awesome too.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Seeing some old stuff in this thread. Let's see how old my fellow Canadians are, with these things that just popped into my head:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can only make so many references to hockey, maple syrup and the Tragically Hip before it becomes stale. The shows with "canadiana" in them are awful. The decent or good ones are those that you can't tell are canadian.
The problem with the shows you can't tell are Canadian is that the US ends up getting credit for them by assumption. Not making references to stupid stereotype stuff is good but when shows deliberately hide taking place in Canada (like Schitt's Creek) by showing no Canadian flags, license plates, mailboxes, or money in the background and constantly making references to American cities, they really shouldn't be receiving any tax dollars.