• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say burn it all down but Australia suffered hard last year from wild fires and it hasn't effected the spiders... fire resistant spiders šŸ˜®

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The pan over to the second clutch of spiders tho...

How does that just happen overnight....

Plus get some silicon seal. Looks like there's gaps in the wall.

Fuck all of this. One more night and they would have eaten everyone in the house.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Poor kid must be traumatised, imagine seeing that in your bedroom

You will be surprised then to know that the kid handled it like a champ. She joked about not sleeping in the room ever again but that just slept on the opposite end of the bed to give the spiders their space. The next day when they opened the window to let the spiders out some spiders were blown across the room by the wind. Along with her mum she collected the stray spiders using a cup and set them back safely outside.

FWIW, she was amused at the typical burn down the house responses but has very much grown tired of it. Their family lost their home to a fire last year.

Link.

My wife had tried to convince me there isn't a spider menace down around Melbourne. Is that accurate?
Spiders are everywhere and survive in most climates here. They are less active in colder areas such as Melbourne compared to Sydney but... You will see a spider from time to time.

I don't understand comments like these. An infestation of anything is a problem. Even if they're harmless and you don't find them scary, no one should be fine with multiple dozens of anything crawling around the room, especially a child's room.
It isn't really an infestation though. Spiders lay hundreds of eggs and over a couple of days the numbers will go down drastically. Most houses aren't going to supply enough food for multiple adult huntsman indoors. These spiders are just moving in temporarily to ride out the weather.
Proper infestations are a different matter.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Only in Australia could you have 100 spiders and someone say "That's so cute!!"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the spiders have first and last month, plus a security deposit. cause it is their house now

Nov 17, 2017
Huntsman spiders eat cockroaches. They eat all sorts of insects but roaches are supposedly one of their favourites. They are harmless to humans. Some people keep them as house pets but most are "garden buddies".
Huh, well color me surprised. I don't think I've ever seen a huntsman spider though. The spiders I get are usually smaller and I doubt they could eat a cockroach.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Spiders are everywhere and survive in most climates here. They are less active in colder areas such as Melbourne compared to Sydney but... You will see a spider from time to time.

I guess I got lucky (plus I visited in winter). I've told her I'd move back there with her if she ever wants...but man I hope it doesn't come to that.

edit: also it's so weird seeing people afraid of cockroaches. I've got pretty bad arachnophobia (much better since I was a kid), but I'd pick up a cockroach no problem

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
it's the spiders room now

17990.jpg

Admit it, you got first reply because this thread made your spider sense tin- *gets pelted with eggs and tomatoes*

As opposed to an appropriate amount of spiders?

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The people from Australia commenting here like "yeah, sometimes the spider army encroaches, whatevs" are really just reinforcing the notion that hell is on Earth, it's just a little Down Under.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Australian here. A couple of years ago I went to go to bed and found my beside table and bed covered in hundreds of baby white tail spiders. They were coming through the gap in my cornices. I woke my housemate and had her help me tape the cornices up and kill or the spiders. It was one of the worst nights of my life.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Huntsman spiders I've heard are pretty friendly/docile. But if they all grow to full size in that house that would be amazing to see lol.
Everywhere you would look would be one of these
Although I know a few people that are terrified of a spider. If they would see a huntsman they would scream/faint....

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's always funny seeing those "they're harmless" replies, like any of that matters to people with a phobia, lol

The only spiders I get here are pholcidae and they're small and completely harmless but the sight of them still freaks me the fuck out because phobias don't operate on rationality
Something like this would be my worst fucking nightmare and I'd never set foot in that house again.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Huntsman spiders aren't so bad, after the initial shock of their size.
I had a few situations as a kid where they wandered into my room, my dad used to pick them up in his hand and let them crawl around his arm to show me they weren't dangerous. It made my arachnophobia worse!

Thankfully this hasn't happened in my apartment, no spider invasion here. I've made great strides in dealing with my phobia, but in such a number I think I'd have a meltdown.

Fun fact, huntsman spiders were used as the baby spiders in the 1990 movie Arachnophobia.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not going to want that many spiders in a room no matter how much of a bro they are. burn it down.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I guess upside of New England living is that there's literally 0 dangerous spiders up here. Alright, I guess the Northern Black Widow can be a little dangerous (just a little), but they're uncommon this far north and super timid.

I think I'd initially be freaked out seeing that room, then probably spend the next few hours watching them and figuring out how to get them to leave on their own.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
That's a LOT of Hunties! We had a similar 'home invasion' of Daddy Longlegs spiders 2 years ago in the downstairs rumpus room.

We've got 2 palm sized huntsmen that live in the garden but occasionally wander into the house - as has been noted, they're a good natural pest controller.

This year has been good for crazy bugs tho - we're just coming out of a big cicada bloom and the evenings are getting quieter again!

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
The people from Australia commenting here like "yeah, sometimes the spider army encroaches, whatevs" are really just reinforcing the notion that hell is on Earth, it's just a little Down Under.
I'd say the spiders are fine and "hell on Earth" is probably closer to the country with half a million dead of a virus that 50% of the population doesn't believe exists.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I'd say the spiders are fine and "hell on Earth" is probably closer to the country with half a million dead of a virus that 50% of the population doesn't believe exists.
Now, now. My country can be a miserable place full of lunatics and a pervasive air of death without excusing spiders.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I keep saying Australia is evil and nobody listens to me.

I bet JaseC is actually a spider behind the keyboard too, it would explain a lot!

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I cannot handle any spider larger than 3mm in diameter. I get a fever, panic attack, pins and needles everywhere, etc. When I see a spider. How the fuck do people handle this? I would actually faint, vomit and probably need a drip if I witnessed anything like that Twitter video. I would definitely move house. That's possibly the most disgusting thing I've seen in a long time.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
This kind of thing is legit why australia is not at my top 5 places I want to visit.
Sorry australians you guys are awesome but if you can meet me in europe, I would love it.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
As long as they are not venomous spiders are kind of cute and they make for great pest killers in the summer.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I never understand the argument that spiders are good because they keep other bugs away. Spiders are literally the worst bug. It's like arguing that you should smear shit up your bedroom walls because it stops them getting dusty.
Except that they're literally not. There are WAY worse bugs you could have around that spiders actively hunt/passively trap and eat depending on the species. They're some of the most useful bugs you can have around and hardly any of them are dangerous to humans in most parts of the world.

BAGERK

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney
Sydney here, went round the back garden last weekend and brushed down all the cobwebs and off my car. Three days later all back so f##k it and now I welcome our new Spider Overlords with open arms.
I live in alexandria with no yard and my car on a main road and yet both are covered in spiderwebs constantly. I've given up cleaning my car

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Bees and wasps cause many magnitudes the number of deaths in Australia than spiders. We have ample anti-venom for our two dangerous spiders.

Good thing there are no bees and wasps in other parts of the world - really dodged a bullet there!

Humans are so poor at judging risk and the media doesn't help.

These same spiders live in New Zealand too, they were introduced from Australia! Sharing the love.

You gave us Russell Crowe, so I'd say it's a fair trade.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can never tell how many people are serious about the whole "this is why I'll never visit Australia" thing. Like, Americans have more guns than people but they're worried about a tiny spider that you'll most likely never see and won't hurt you anyway?

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Huntsman's are pretty chill. I did have one drop in my lap while driving, it was no big deal.