• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Announced on today's podcast.

What's good internet? If you've listened to today's episode of Waypoint Radio (or simply read the description) then you've heard the news. Danielle Riendeau is heading off to new video games journalism pastures, and though you'll still be able to hear me on the podcast every week, I'm stepping back from my editorial role at VICE. I'm betting you have some questions, but first and foremost, I want to underscore that this good news for everyone involved. The ship is not sinking, the alarms are not sounding, there is no fire in the barn (is that a saying?).

The basic rundown:
- Will remain on Waypoint Radio, and occasionally contribute for the site.
- Decision is being made on his terms, and insists he's still being fairly compensated for the new role.
- Leaving to pursue new creative persuits, and focus more time on Friends at the Table.
- Will be stepping away from the world of games journalism with new persuits.
- Felt he was 'burning the candle at both ends' with the current role.

It's good that he's making this decision for his own well-being, but it definitely stinks to hear of another great games writer leaving the field.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's going to be a tremendous loss to games journalism, but good for him if he's taking a path he's happier with.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The writing is on the wall for Vice as a whole, been for a while

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's really unfortunate, but I think it's the right call. Games Editorial isn't exactly doing great right now, which is super sad. Leaning into other passions is probably a smart move, and if it can also somehow bring him less stress, that's great.

I also feel bad(?) for Danielle, but I'm also curious about where's she's headed.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So... who IS taking editorial leadership duties at VICE Games? The message from Austin says Cado, Patrick and Rob are still there, but is one of them taking the EIC-ish role or is there someone else new coming in or will Motherboard be taking that on?

Cool for everyone making moves, I'm sure Danielle and Austin will continue to do neat things. I'm just not sure about the future of VICE Games, as it feels like it's been nothing but body blows over there for the past year.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I'm sad that Waypoint didn't work in the end, but even as a far leftie DSA member I felt beat down by how constant the negative tone of things was. It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't type of things if you're going for a more politically aware video games website. I love games, I'm interested in politics but games are where I like to get away from how shitty everything is so I rarely went to Waypoint after a few months because it got to be too much. I really liked everyone there and wish them nothing but the best moving forward.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Good for him. I honestly can't imagine what it's like to have to deal with Gamers and the Internet At Large day in and day out.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Austin is my favorite voice in both games and the tabletop space, I'm glad he's going to be in a better place for his work-life balance.

Waypoint/Vice Games have been a pretty big part of asking gamedevs about unions and crunch and fair practices, which I think ismaking the industry better for everyone.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it goes well for everyone involved. Waypoint has been one of those endeavors where I was just so excited about all of the people involved and I don't feel as if it ever really clicked into place, even on the podcast which I listen to every week.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Excited to see what comes next, but yeah, the Vice stuff doesn't seem to be turning that corner. It's too bad.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Super happy Austin is finally taking the time for himself, but I'll be the selfish ass who sees this and thinks its a bummer. The videos, the streams, and the articles were all fantastic and will be missed, even if the five star podcast goes on.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Duder is a treasure. He shouldn't have been demoted.
He wasn't though? He quit to focus on Friends at the Table and other projects. I'm super excited if this leads to him being able to flex his creator/storyteller muscles on other mediums. I'd be so in for an Austin Walker novel or comic.

I'm probably biased because I adore Friends at the Table, but yeah this sounds like the right move to me.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I was rooting hard for Waypoint, mainly because they seem like genuinely passionate and good folks. Their content and opinions didn't always mesh with me, but I did appreciate how thoughtful their arguments were. Their perspectives are usually clear and pragmatic, so it's really easy to understand their side of the view at least.

Glad to hear Austin will still be on the podcast, but I wonder how long that'll last. Patrick and Rob have always been excellent, so I think they'll carry things pretty well. Just hope they can add some extra voices to round things out.

Dec 20, 2017
Miss him on the Beastcast. I flip whenever he's a guest. Waypoint just never clicked for me unfortunately. Good luck, Austin.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only recently got into listening to their podcast and saw Danika, Natalie, and now Danielle and Austin (though, I guess not completely) move away... Kinda sucks to only have heard them all together for such a short time. Wish them all the best.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. He and Danielle are both leaving? :(

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
He wasn't though? He quit to focus on Friends at the Table and other projects. I'm super excited if this leads to him being able to flex his creator/storyteller muscles on other mediums. I'd be so in for an Austin Walker novel or comic.

I'm probably biased because I adore Friends at the Table, but yeah this sounds like the right move to me.

I meant he should have been the head of Vice Games and not just demoted to a regular editor.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Austin got to build something with great people, and though it didn't become the world's biggest media empire, they had(/are having) a cool and tangible impact on the industry. Calling out workplace harassment, fighting for the rights of workers in the games industry, and making people think a little more critically about the entertainment they consume.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Was literally talking someone not 12 hours ago how Austin is my favourite gaming critic and I love and appreciate everything he puts out their in terms of games discussion and journalism. This hurts but I equally get how much he does outside of gaming and it's undeniable a positive if he's been able to make this shift on his own terms and for positive reasons.

Damn it though Austin. Hope you still show up on Waypoint Radio a lot.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like it was a good move for him, so I'm glad to hear he's able to do more of what he wants to be doing. Austin is a unique voice in gaming, and really digs some unique shit in games that's right up my alley. Also cool to hear there's more friends at the table in the works! Austin is a great DM as well.

I wish him luck in the future! I'll definitely be following him wherever he goes.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bummer, but I'm glad that he's gonna stay on the pod. I think that alone is going to be good for keeping the conversation going.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Selfishly, I'm a little disappointed that there won't be as much to read from Austin, but to be honest, I'm much more glad that he'll be taking some time for himself. I'd much rather have a happy and healthy Austin that is doing less of what I want and can do it for longer than one that burns out completely after too long. Plus, he'll still be part of that 5 STAR PODCAST, 5 STAR RUNTIME podcast, so we'll still get plenty of his opinions, I'm sure.

Sad that Danielle is leaving completely, though I'm excited to see what's next for her.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I don't always agree with Austin but that's honestly the reason why I like him so much, as well as why his voice is extremely important in the field.

Sad to see him go but I wish him all the luck in his future endeavors.

Last edited:

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Good for him. I'm glad he'll still be on the podcast. I've missed having Natalie on the podcast, and Danielle only being on like 1/3 of the podcasts since Vice restructured a couple months ago has been disappointing. I figured Danielle did not like her new role since they didn't mention her new work beyond like 1 week out. I am looking forward to seeing what Danielle is doing next (the waypoint forum thread says it's something in games journalism). I hope it involves a podcast. ha. I hope Waypoint continues for a minute; I like the people and camradarie and I like hearing their opinions on games and random shit and public issues. I'm not big on guest cohosts on podcasts but I'll keep listening unless it takes a drastic turn for the worse.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it's what he wants, so it's hard to be too upset about it. Hope he is finally able to take a break every so often and find some more positivity in his day to day.

VICE Games just feels like it's hanging on by a thread, and I hope Klepek and Zacny find something more stable here soon, before they're forced to.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
You people know me. If I thought the sky was falling, I'd have already left this for another job!

Austin is making the right move for himself, for his creativity and mental health. That, above all else, is what's important. It falls squarely in line with what we're often criticizing the broader video game industry for overlooking.

I am not EIC. Rob is not EIC. We don't have one, and there are no plans to find a new one. We're sort of...splitting duties? The plan is to bring in a batch of fresh voices into our freelance ranks, alongside more podcast guests. We're still finding our footing there, though we've prepped for this move for a while now.

Obviously, this is a different phase of the Waypoint project, and in a lot of ways brings to a close what we kicked off back in 2016.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Good for Austin since it sounds like this is what he wants. Vice Games seems like it's on its last legs though. Best of luck to the team that remains.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Tad heartbreaking, Austin and Danielle, but also very happy for them, and happy we still get Waypoint goodness.

Just uh.. less NFL guys, the rest of the world are listening + reading too :P
(joking... kind of :D )

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You people know me. If I thought the sky was falling, I'd have already left this for another job!

Austin is making the right move for himself, for his creativity and mental health. That, above all else, is what's important. It falls squarely in line with what we're often criticizing the broader video game industry for overlooking.

I am not EIC. Rob is not EIC. We don't have one, and there are no plans to find a new one. We're sort of...splitting duties? The plan is to bring in a batch of fresh voices into our freelance ranks, alongside more podcast guests. We're still finding our footing there, though we've prepped for this move for a while now.

Obviously, this is a different phase of the Waypoint project, and in a lot of ways brings to a close what we kicked off back in 2016.

Thanks for checking in, Patrick!

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017

Good to know. Does each podcast guest have to try one of those Joker themed cocktails at the start of the pod?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Glad he's able to re-balance things it ain't worth it to kill yourself over work. Can't wait to see what Waypoint turns into it's been great so far.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It'll be a bummer to see less of him on the site, but it sounds like it'll be a good change for him.

Excited to hear about his new project!

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Austin is my favorite writer and one of the few people I follow on Twitter. I look forward to what he does next!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

I'm happy for him. Looking forward to seeing how it all evolves.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always sad when I see my brothas, who do really well in a space I love, leave.

Pray his future endeavors go well.