• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Pro-choice groups in Texas this week were hopeful that thousands of women in the state could better obtain abortion care despite state restrictions after Austin's city council approved a new public fund to support access for those in need of reproductive care.

The state capital's city council on Tuesday night voted 10-1 in favor of a $150,000 fund which people will be able to draw from to pay for childcare, travel expenses, and lodging when they obtain abortion care.

The fund is the country's first to be allocated specifically for these types of logistical expenses, which serve as barriers to care for many women—especially in states like Texas where dozens of reproductive health clinics have been shut down in recent years.

The City Council's decision was "a direct response to the combination of abortion bans that have been passed throughout the year and the abortion bans sweeping the country," Aimee Arrambide, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Texas, told the Texas Tribune.

AMAZING news out of Texas! Austin becomes the first city in the country to allocate funds that will help low-income people afford the transportation, lodging, and childcare costs that often come with accessing abortion care! https://t.co/U6218IOyMA #AbortionAccessATX
— NARAL (@NARAL) September 11, 2019

The fund was approved days after state legislators passed S.B. 22, a law prohibiting governments in Texas from giving state and local funds and public resources to reproductive health clinics.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Wow that's amazing congratulations to them for putting out such a progressive measure to defend women's rights in a year of having them viciously attacked.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao it reminds me of how much Austin hates the rest of the state it exists in. I have friends who work in Abbott's office that just loathe him. Good for Austin! This shouldn't even need to exist though, as states should offer accessible reproductive healthcare period. But I think in my 25 years in Texas I saw less than 5 planned parenthoods ever, and they always looked like impoverished shacks in old strip malls.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao it reminds me of how much Austin hates the rest of the state it exists in. I have friends who work in Abbott's office that just loathe him. Good for Austin! This shouldn't even need to exist though, as states should offer accessible reproductive healthcare period. But I think in my 25 years in Texas I saw less than 5 planned parenthoods ever, and they always looked like impoverished shacks in old strip malls.

Austin hates Texas? Austin is pretty god damn proud to be part of Texas from what I understand.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Austin hates Texas? Austin is pretty god damn proud to be part of Texas from what I understand.

The rest of Texas ain't anything like Austin, so what's Texas to Austin is not Texas to the rest of Texas. Plus Austin is forever a dark blue dropped trapped in a Texas-sized sea of bright red republican politics, which it hates. Just listening to the hateful shit people said during the town halls about paid sick leave getting legalized in Austin was mindblowing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
The rest of Texas ain't anything like Austin, so what's Texas to Austin is not Texas to the rest of Texas. Plus Austin is forever a dark blue dropped trapped in a Texas-sized sea of bright red republican politics, which it hates. Just listening to the hateful shit people said during the town halls about paid sick leave getting legalized in Austin was mindblowing.

Isn't Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas Blue as well?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
There's plenty of blue areas in Texas. It's just that Austin is the darkest shade of blue in the state, ironic since it's the state Capitol.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool of City Council to do. Some of those people are super inspiring. Greg Casar in particular has the spark of a person whose work as an activist and a councilman makes you think he's going to do big things for Texas in the future.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Very cool of City Council to do. Some of those people are super inspiring. Greg Casar in particular has the spark of a person whose work as an activist and a councilman makes you think he's going to do big things for Texas in the future.

I've watched Greg Casar for a little while. IMO he's definitely going to be a career politician, but if he gets shit done, I'm not going to complain.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Good on Austin. Fuck anyone else in the state that makes these poor women suffer more than they already have.

Relevant

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was very happy to see the results from this vote. Funding travel like this is almost a necessity in the state of Texas due to our state government's fascistic and systematic dismantling of clinics outside of the major cities.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
In my ignorance I was going to post something about how surprising this is, given it's Texas. Rreading some of these posts, wow! Go Austin!

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

This is a very outdated view of Austin vs Texas.

Maybe 15-20 years ago when Austin was the only really progressive city that would have been a true statement. I remember during the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage it was Travis County vs. The World in 2004. That was basically a hold-over from the Bush years when Austin was the only major city in Texas consistently voting against Dubya and our D.A. was busy getting Tom Delay out of office.

But in the last decade the rest of the major cities in the state are rapidly catching up to Austin, and Austin has also mellowed somewhat. We're less Boulder and more Denver.

That said, fucking YESSSS. Go Austin.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Start a movement, Austin. You beautiful, gorgeous, life-affirming city.

Maybe 15-20 years ago when Austin was the only really progressive city that would have been a true statement. I remember during the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage it was Travis County vs. The World in 2004. That was basically a hold-over from the Bush years when Austin was the only major city in Texas consistently voting against Dubya and our D.A. was busy getting Tom Delay out of office.

But in the last decade the rest of the major cities in the state are rapidly catching up to Austin, and Austin has also mellowed somewhat. We're less Boulder and more Denver.

This.

Every major city in Texas is blue: Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso. All blue.

And I've never heard of people in Austin hating the rest of Texas. Seems made up.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was from Dallas. Townes was from Houston/Fort Worth. Joe Ely was from Lubbock. All artists are associated with Austin music (yes I know Townes is also part of Houston and Nashville music, shut up), so yeah, Austin likes being part of Texas, especially when it come to music.

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

I just disagree. Lived in Texas for 25 years as a gay man, raised in Houston, worked in Dallas, was in Austin last June. The "blue" parts of Texas are diet blue still filled with bigots and Austin is drastically more liberal than anything else in Texas.

It also btw hosts the only nude beach in the state since they're not prudes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I just disagree. Lived in Texas for 25 years as a gay man, raised in Houston, worked in Dallas, was in Austin last June. The "blue" parts of Texas are diet blue still filled with bigots and Austin is drastically more liberal than anything else in Texas.

It also btw hosts the only nude beach in the state since they're not prudes.

Hippie Hollow? Who wants to see a bunch of naked smelly hippies?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the state try to fuck with this, they always do like when cities raise the minimum wage