• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You just made me think back to the time i was over a white friend's house and his mom told him to do something and he went off on her. As black child that was like seeing a UFO for the first time.
Shit, man, not all white people. My mom is a southern mom through and through. She'da taken my SNES and put it in the fucking oven and made me watch it melt if I tried shit like that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, man, not all white people. My mom is a southern mom through and through. She'da taken my SNES and put it in the fucking oven and made me watch it melt if I tried shit like that.
You in your own house and you still make damn sure the chicken is out the freezer when it needs to be

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I say ah-unt after I said ant once to a classmate in the first grade and he was so confused and thought I was talking about a literal ant. I've been self conscious ever since

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I tend to say it as "Ant" but I don't really talk too much to my aunts or about them.

My SO calls older women Auntie but pronounced "ant-ee." It's common in Hawaii.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised so many call their aunts and uncles by their name. Sounds like, talking to like a cousin instead or something, or like "I call my parents by their names" (which some do).

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have several aunts (pronounced ants) but if I'm speaking about any one of them, I prefix their name with Aunty (anti).

This is good and normal.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Because I'm not a freaking 8 year old. Also I'm from Argentina. But yeah, "auntie" sounds so weird coming from an adults mouth idk

anariel

Oct 27, 2017

All I can think about when I hear somebody use terms like auntie, mommy, etc. anywhere now. Thanks Abby. (AAAABBYYYYY)

Last edited:

sven

Oct 31, 2017

Then I'd have taken all her family photos and burned them. Something irreplaceable to teach her a lesson.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Where did calling your grandmother Nana come from? I've never used it myself, but I've heard it here and there.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Because Auntie implies a familiarity and affection I don't feel toward my real aunts?

Gotta hit 'em with the Tia.
Auntie Tia

GwVxJPKm.png

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Auntie is what I use for any adult woman not related to me except my mom's younger sister because I don't think they have a special title, though I could be wrong.

Otherwise, my dad's sisters are "gugu." " My dad's brothers' wives are "bo mu" or "shen shen." My mom's brothers wives' are "jiu ma." My mom's sister is "ah-yi." She would be "yi ma" if she were older than my mom.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Because how am I supposed to joke about which aunt is the problem when my wife tells me "I think we have an ant problem"?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I was 2-4 years old I called my mom "mommy". I've never actually heard an adult call their mother that. It might be a cultural thing though.
It's funny to me that I'm of the same mind as you (it sounds childish), but then I think the only time I've actually heard "Mommy" (or Daddy, for that matter) spoken has been from folks in their 30's/40's. Hearing one of my Managers (late 30's) talk about visiting his Mommy on Mother's Day was oddly.. heartwarming? Like, it sounded less juvenile and more like he was just close with her.

Separately, in response to OP, I'm just too deadset on saying Ant.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Aunt is shorter, and I'm an Adult.

I break glass incase of an emergency and say Auntie to soften them up for whatever gain I need.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I refer to my Aunts and Uncles by their name, without using "Aunt" or "Uncle" or anything like that.

Am I the weird one?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Auntie is exclusively said by toddlers and/or to an elderly woman. It sounds incredibly disrespectful for a non-baby to call a non-grandmothers-generation person "auntie". To me, it implies a more diminutive, more "sagely yet removed" disposition for the recipient.

At least, for my English side. Otherwise, it's zia.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm black. I've used quite a few versions to describe my aunts. My aunties are in Michigan. My Aunts are the elders in the family. They are based in Arkansas. We don't pronounce it Aunt however, it's pronounced Ain't. My wife is Filipino, she calls her aunts Tita.