• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
PepsiCo said it will drop the image of Aunt Jemima and rebrand the line of pancake mix and syrup that has borne the name since 1889.

The parent of Quaker Oats Company, which has owned the brand since 1926, did not specify what the new name will be or what the updated packaging will look like.
"We are starting by removing the image and changing the name," said Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, in a statement. "We will continue the conversation by gathering diverse perspectives from both our organization and the Black community to further evolve the brand and make it one everyone can be proud to have in their pantry."
PepsiCo said consumers will start to see the packaging changes without the Aunt Jemima image in the fourth quarter this year and that the name change will be announced at a later date.
www.adweek.com

After 131 Years, PepsiCo Is Dropping Aunt Jemima

PepsiCo is retiring the controversial brand name and mascot, Aunt Jemima.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it took this long. Did y'all know Disney had an Aunt Jemima restaurant as recent as 1970? SMH.

disneyAuntJemimacollage.jpg

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering why it is problematic, the logo doesn't seem bad or anything. Then I looked up the history and hooooly shit.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So the time lag between Onion articles and real life is down to five days now.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally. Even as a kid I thought it was fucking weird that my pancake shit had a Mammy character on it. I'm just surprised it took them this long.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can't wait to see lots of "ruined childhood" post by Karens everywhere that they can't buy products with racist caricatures anymore.

What other products exist out there that desperately need a rebrand? Obviously in sports the Cleverland Indians and the Washington football team need a name change badly.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking finally. Even as a kid I thought it was fucking weird that my pancake shit had a Mammy character on it. I'm just surprised it took them this long.
same

aunt jemima has never not been an uncomfortable pancake product, like i never got how people just casually bought it and didn't feel compelled to question the name or anything. it's a weird fucking holdover.

just get hungry jacks or something it's all the same shit

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they make it obvious to whatever it's changed too in case I miss the re-branding I love that pancake mix and syrup it's so good.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
The fact that it took this long. Did y'all know Disney had an Aunt Jemima restaurant as recent as 1970? SMH.

disneyAuntJemimacollage.jpg

To be honest, I'm surprised it got closed in 1970. There are enough racist people out there that wouldn't think twice about such a place even in 2020.

There is definitely a huge cultural shift happening right now, and I'm glad to see it happen. It proves why the BLM protests are so important.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont get the venn diagram of racists and not batting an eye at an aunt jemima pancake mix I thought it was symbolic of a family recipe, but now that I've read the story of it theres a lot of misses associated with "aunt jemima" becoming the package and brand

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I dont get the venn diagram of racists and not batting an eye at an aunt jemima pancake mix, but if there's a legitimate reason behind it so be it. I like the cover but not enough to cry for it if maybe the problem is some links by the company or creator to supporting servitude? I thought it was symbolic of a family recipe
I too thought it was a family recipe until I read the history.
I only buy Log Cabin Syrup, named in honor of Abraham Lincoln's mythical childhood abode.
Log Cabin is the best syrup out there.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they could change it to "Mrs.J" or Ms. J, and obviously change the look of her to be a non caricature look.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get the venn diagram of racists and not batting an eye at an aunt jemima pancake mix I thought it was symbolic of a family recipe, but now that I've read the story of it theres a lot of misses associated with "aunt jemima" becoming the package and brand
That's why it's so insidious. Starts as wildly racist caricatures, and then "becomes part of family branding" so it's harder to unroot, while still subliminally messaging stereotypes of black inferiority.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Why did it take them so long? We have all these things like taking down Confederate statues and ending racist stereotypes on brands, why wasn't this done in the '70s or '80s? Why did it take this one example of police brutality to change?

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know how a 10 year old me in small town ohio knew in 1995; the backstory behind the branding has always just felt super obvious to me. but of course that's fine if you didn't know, we all gotta learn sometime.

Maple Syrup from a Maple tree is the best syrup out there.
yeah but it doesn't come in a bottle that you can microwave, so take that

(it also doesn't cost a fortune)

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
This was still a thing? lmao. They taught us about this symbol in the BRITISH SCHOOL SYSTEM in the mid 00s for goodness sake.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Surprised it took this long, also curious to see how it goes. I mean, it is an incredibly famous brand name, I could see them losing sales from lack of awareness if they change the name.

But all pancake syrup is just corn syrup anyway.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Surprised it took this long, also curious to see how it goes. I mean, it is an incredibly famous brand name, I could see them losing sales from lack of awareness if they change the name.

But all pancake syrup is just corn syrup anyway.

Aunt Jemima is more than just fake maple syrup. It's a whole line of pancake mixes as well.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Why did it take them so long? We have all these things like taking down Confederate statues and ending racist stereotypes on brands, why wasn't this done in the '70s or '80s? Why did it take this one example of police brutality to change?
The Virginia official state song was about a freed slave wishing he could return to the days of slavery on his master's plantation, "where the old darkey's heart am long'd to go" until a Republican Governor suspended it in 1997...

It's still referred to as the state song emeritus. It took 57 years for people to really enough outrage for them to change it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm really curious to see this rebrand.

Do they try and abbreviate, like Aunt J or AJ's? Or do they go with a completely new name?

Oct 25, 2017
I too thought it was a family recipe until I read the history.

Log Cabin is the best syrup out there.
It's all terrible fake stuff, just buy actual maple syrup and make your life that much better.

I don't really think it's one example of police brutality, it's the string of them plus the lockdown amping people up plus the fact that Trump is in power. He accelerated things so there's been a corresponding pushback.

We're basically living the wider cultural equivalent of Gamergate, where the reactionary attitudes have just led to the exact opposite of what they wanted. If people hadn't resisted change so hard I don't think most people would care about a statue here or a mascot there.