• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I currently have an Audio Technica ATH-M40X. They are starting to wear out so I was in the market for a new headphones. Don't really care if they are wired or wireless. Sound quality is important as I want a great theater experience.

My budget is maybe around $300 or less. Should I just grab another ATH-M40X or is there better options out there?

Preferences are:

1. Movies/TV Shows
2. Gaming
3. Music

What are the best options available? Upgrading to an LG C9 OLED and want the best sound I can get within my budget.

Is the ATH-40X still the best option for my needs or is there better options you can recommend?

I will be using them in a bedroom environment. Minimal external sound.

Last edited:

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think M40X is the best for that use-case since they're closed that usually means soundstage won't go as wide as open headphones.
I'd recommend something but I'm currently out of the loop for new models, Sennheiser is always good just pick some model from Massdrop.

OP
OP
Kschreck

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't think M40X is the best for that use-case since they're closed that usually means soundstage won't go as wide as open headphones.
I'd recommend something but I'm currently out of the loop for new models, Sennheiser is always good just pick some model from Massdrop.

I see the Sennheiser RS 175 seems recommended a lot on tech sites but I always heard bad things about wireless audio so I'm hesitant.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Do people hate Grado now? I've been on Grados for 20 years and for my money they're about the best you can get if you want open stage wired phones.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I see the Sennheiser RS 175 seems recommended a lot on tech sites but I always heard bad things about wireless audio so I'm hesitant.
Yes, I would avoid wireless audio too but just on my own experiences, the ones I've had in use usually had high enough latency to notice it in movies/games.
Can't speak for the RS 175.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx This is hugely popular model from Sennheiser and I've owned the earlier model and can vouch for them. Soundstage is sublime but sound signature is usual Sennheiser so really neutral, which I didn't like so much so I've switched since to Fostex TH-X00.
Thing to note with Open and Closed headphones is the location you'll be using them in, Open headphones while offering greater soundstage usually, leak lot of sound and if you're in noisy environment sounds will get mixed in and would in that case suggest to look into another pair of Closed headphones.

OP
OP
Kschreck

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have an older receiver hooked to my tv where the headphones plug into. It's from like 2005. Would any of that effect the sound quality through headphones or does it not matter?

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
I currently use the Philips Fidelio X2HR for gaming/movies and they're pretty damn good. I don't use them for music though.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I've had the Sennheiser HD598 for my movie/TV/etc. needs for the last 5+ years and I've been very happy with them. Long cable, 6.3mm connection with a 3.5mm adapter included, super sturdy, incredibly comfortable and easy to wear for hours on end, solid, airy sound and a wide soundstage. Low impedance too, if you ever watch/listen to stuff on a phone or laptop or iPad or something, should drive them perfectly fine. Lacking in the bass, but otherwise solid for music listening too. Overall a great entry level open-back headphone. I don't think they make it anymore, but as far as I know, the HD599 is a spiritual successor - same, but better.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro oder 990 Pro (go for probably around $150 and are pretty awesome for that price range. Both are available with 32, 80 and 250 Ohm.

They are basically a step between your ATH-M40X and something full audiophile that requires additional amps.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hifiman He400-500 are pretty nice. AKG K712 and K7xx are great. Basically go for open headphones unless you really need that heavy movie theater bass at the expense of everything else.

Also, is the headphone choice to avoid bothering neighbors, roommates, family members? If not, that $300 can get you a decent 5.1 speaker set up that will sound better than $600+ headphones.

Another thing to consider is the setup. Are the headphones going to be connected to an HTPC or directly to the TV or to a console/streaming box? You'll most likely need at least an amp unless you buy low impedance headphones like some of the Sennheisers or Beyerdynamics mentioned.

HTPC's have the benefit of software stuff like Atmos virtualization for headphones on Windows 10. I'm personally not a big fan of how it sounds though.

Last edited:

namlook

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do people hate Grado now? I've been on Grados for 20 years and for my money they're about the best you can get if you want open stage wired phones.

Grado makes headphones that sound good, but they aren't very comfortable if you wear glasses as they are supraaural instead of circumaural. Beyerdynamic makes amazing open back heaphones that are very comfortable IMO.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

I have the RS 185 and it's great. Used it for VR before I had the Index. Only issue was that it conflicted with the 2.4GHz band on my router since it's so close by. Should be all right if they aren't close by and the sound quality is great. You can amp and DAC them to your hearts content as well since it's not BT.

I can't speak to how they would fair for TV and movies, but for gaming in VR they were good. Never noticed any sort of latency either.

May 24, 2019
I have an older receiver hooked to my tv where the headphones plug into. It's from like 2005. Would any of that effect the sound quality through headphones or does it not matter?

Can you do any better than that? Does the receiver take optical if not HDMI?

e:nm read that wrong. I thought you said your receiver was just getting headphone out out of the TV.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I currently use the Philips Fidelio X2HR for gaming/movies and they're pretty damn good. I don't use them for music though.

I recommend these as well for entertainment and gaming. Big soundstage and great bass, which is something you don't get together very often.

They're currently really cheap right now (125), but these were 300 dollar headphones when I bought them.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Does headphones like this support stuff like Dolby atmos, surround sound, etc? No idea how this stuff works. Just want good sound. lol

All that stuff is actually handled by your receiver/interface. "Good" headphones just need to deliver the best stereo performance. Don't be fooled by "surround" headphones (I've made this mistake), in the end they just have some effect that tries to emulate an open sound, which is something you'll get naturally with open-back headphones.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Audeze mobius

Has an absurd amount of tech for a headphone but can basically use it as a normal pair that sounds great in stereo. Has a built in amp as well so you don't need to shell out anything more. I think it is one of the better choices if you want a pair that handles everything (movies music gaming)

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
I'd suggest a pair of used Fostex Purpleheart's.

I have these and i wouldn't recommend them for this at all as they are way to intense ... i even changed the pads on mine to angled sheepskin to make the sound more refined but still wouldn't recommend them for movie viewing after that, they are very very fun to listen to but they get tiresome after some 45 minutes of wearing them.

also have the AKG K7xx, they would be pretty good, very flat sounding.. but they squeak a bit(havent found a way to fix this) , the headband elastics will go after 2 years or so(fixed headband in place with glue), and i had a solder joint in one of the cups go(fixed with new wire and soldering iron).. but that said they are my primary gaming phones.

at work i have sennheiser 598 these a the best all arounders for cheap and pretty good for both movies and games. Thry never skipped a beat and they are just super comfy. sennheiser 600 series would also be a good option.

also have the DT770, nothing wrong with these and good for a noisy environment.. but if it's just relatively quiete i would rather take the sennheisers...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kschreck

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro oder 990 Pro (go for probably around $150 and are pretty awesome for that price range. Both are available with 32, 80 and 250 Ohm.

They are basically a step between your ATH-M40X and something full audiophile that requires additional amps.

Which ohm version should I consider if I plan on plugging it into the back of a tv without an amp? Are these an upgrade over the Audio Technica M40X I own now?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Audeze mobius

Has an absurd amount of tech for a headphone but can basically use it as a normal pair that sounds great in stereo. Has a built in amp as well so you don't need to shell out anything more. I think it is one of the better choices if you want a pair that handles everything (movies music gaming)

Love my Mobius. Shockingly good surround.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Love my Mobius. Shockingly good surround.

The soundstage is pretty small in the 2 channel modes but yea I'm quite happy with how they perform in virtual surround. Never have an issue locating people in games like cod.

Only really negative thing I can think of is the mic wind noise.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The soundstage is pretty small in the 2 channel modes but yea I'm quite happy with how they perform in virtual surround. Never have an issue locating people in games like cod.

Only really negative thing I can think of is the mic wind noise.

I don't mind the sidetone from the mic, but it is rather sensitive to positioning if you don't want to catch yourself breathing.

And yeah, I'm purely talking for surround/binaural use: they're a fantastic value.

Oct 27, 2017
Grado makes headphones that sound good, but they aren't very comfortable if you wear glasses as they are supraaural instead of circumaural. Beyerdynamic makes amazing open back heaphones that are very comfortable IMO.

The pads eventually soften and get more comfortable. I can wear mine for hours without issue now. My pair of SR60i headphones is still my favorite after 10 years, even though I've bought more expensive headphones since then.

Though the problem is that it took years to get there. I don't think the average person wants to wait 3 years for their headphones to get comfy.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I always hear good things about the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee's but I haven't personally picked them up yet myself.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Which ohm version should I consider if I plan on plugging it into the back of a tv without an amp? Are these an upgrade over the Audio Technica M40X I own now?

It's not the whole truth, but generally you'll want headphones with low impedance ratings, so definitely the 32ohm one in this case.

As for being an upgrade, it's hard to say. They're likely much more precise and technically competent than the Audio-Technicas, but it's certainly possible you won't like the sound signature as much. I have the 770's but don't have the Audio-Technicas (well, I have the M50Xs which I sort of hate now), so I can't compare. Maybe watch some Youtube videos. And if possible, definitely try them at a store before buying or get them from somewhere with a solid return policy.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
I always hear good things about the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee's but I haven't personally picked them up yet myself.
This if you don't want to buy a headphone amp, if you do buy an amp, go with 6xx. I honestly don't recommend closed backs if you want a good wide sound stage.

both these headphones are known for their relatively flat frequency response and killer value. I would recommend them over the beyers unless you really like bass.

the next step up in headphones really doesn't come until you're well over $300.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they are one step above the M40X. Higher Ohm means slightly better audio quality, but you need "more energy to power through it".
Usually you go with 32 Ohm for smartphones, 80 Ohm for PC / Laptop / TV and 250 Ohm if you plan to use some kind of amp to power your headphones.

OP
OP
Kschreck

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Alright I ended up going with the Sennheiser 599se as I found a new pair for $80 on ebay. Seller had good feedback. Hopefully these will work well for movies and gaming.

Jan 2, 2018
I currently have an Audio Technica ATH-M40X. They are starting to wear out so I was in the market for a new headphones. Don't really care if they are wired or wireless. Sound quality is important as I want a great theater experience.

What do you mean wear out? I have the same headphones and I replaced the pads with a pair I found on Amazon and they sound even better now.