• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Im looking into buying a pair of headsets/headphones that will primarily be used for gaming. I already have a standalone mic(a blue snowball ice) so Im only really concerned about the audio quality that comes from them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Would also like to add that I want to stay away from Razer if I could

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
I use Sony studio headphones and Yamaha ones. Are you in the market for surround sound headphones? That would make this thread easier for the people here.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
It really depends on a lot of things to be honest as closed vs open, sound signature, on ear, over ear etc.

NVX Studio
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X
Sennheiser HD 559 - So I know the 558 were highly praised but they discontinued them. Not sure if the 559 are better or not but still an option.
Also if you don't mind buying used go on reddit to /r/AVExhange and see if people are selling AKG K7XX and HiFiMan HE-4XXs for around $100. The Sennheisser HD6XX are also a good value but you don't see them around the $100 range, more like $130-$150.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HD 559. Avoid those gamer headsets

People like the ATH M50X, but I couldnt do it for gaming. Non existent sound stage is a big no no for me.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
HD 559. Avoid those gamer headsets

People like the ATH M50X, but I couldnt do it for gaming. Non existent sound stage is a big no no for me.
Same.
OP if you rely on games that rely that have or you appreciate sound positioning (for example playing a competitive FPS where foot steps give away a player's location) these headphones are not for you. I would go with the other alternatives as suggested above.

Nov 25, 2017

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
A bit offtopic, but I'm always curious about this, do you need special setup or additional equipment when you use expensive $100+ headphone on your ps4 or does simply plugging the headphone to ds4 controller is good enough?

And if you do need specific setup, what is it?

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
The most important question for the OP is whether there's a decent amount of background noise (so you should get closed headphones) or not (so you can get open headphones which have better sound in a quiet room).
Philips SHP9500 are open phones with a great rep specifically for gaming (soundstage, comfort) and are well within budget. Unfortunately not available outside US.
Avoid the M50s. No soundstage, incredibly uncomfortable for me. I have the DT770 32ohm for when I need closed headphones.

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
A bit offtopic, but I'm always curious about this, do you need special setup or additional equipment when you use expensive $100+ headphone on your ps4 or does simply plugging the headphone to ds4 controller is good enough?

And if you do need specific setup, what is it?
Some headphones need an amp since they need a lot of power to drive and won't get loud enough otherwise. Usually phones with a low impedance rating, like 50ohm or less, are not as reliant on amping. You should see what people say about a specific headphone.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my Shure SRH440 for a couple of years now, and I really like them. Nice and clear neutral sound. I put the SRH840 pads on it for a more comfortable fit though. The standard ones can be a little stiff.

Oct 26, 2017
Same.
OP if you rely on games that rely that have or you appreciate sound positioning (for example playing a competitive FPS where foot steps give away a player's location) these headphones are not for you. I would go with the other alternatives as suggested above.

Are you saying that the 559's do or do not work for positioning?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I also can recommend the DT 770 Pro by Beyerdynamic. Really happy with them. I have the 80 Ohm variant.

DT 770s are amazing gaming headphones.
Probably the best purchase ive ever made gaming wise....enhanced every game to level 1000.

But they are not within the OPs budget, the 80Ω ones are 150+ OPs budget is 80 to 100.....though I would still say save a little more and get the DT 770s they are well worth the money.
80Ω for gaming.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
DT 770s are amazing gaming headphones.
Probably the best purchase ive ever made gaming wise....enhanced every game to level 1000.

But they are not within the OPs budget, the 80Ω ones are 150+ OPs budget is 80 to 100.....though I would still say save a little more and get the DT 770s they are well worth the money.
80Ω for gaming.

Yeah I totally forgot they are more than $ 100, but worth the price. I use these with my Blue Yeti mic. I am very satisfied with them. Also that you can exchange the earcups and everything.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Steelseries new premium headsets. Arctic Pro or Arctic 7. They're amazing quality.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
TreeMePls

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for everyone that recommended something. Decided to spend an extra bit and get the Sennheiser 598s. Thanks for the help everyone