• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Just have to give a mention to the Marshall Stanmore II with voice ( I got Alexa, also available in Google assistant form ). This imo is the best sounding smart speaker I've listened to, esp. for older rock music, can fill my entire house when cranked up and no distortion. As an added bonus I was able to pair in a group with my Echo Studio speakers, house Multi-Room audio set up is now complete.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Audioera, need some help if you can.

I have 3 bookshelf speakers (B&W M1s) as L/C/R, through a Marantz receiver. I don't have a subwoofer because I purchased these speakers individually, not as a complete package. I haven't been too impressed with the speakers. They are clear, and can get loud enough, but they don't really sound that much different than my TV speakers. In fact, today I forgot to turn on my receiver and when the audio came through the TV speakers, I couldn't even tell the difference.

My question is: If I purchase a subwoofer, will that "unload" the bookshelfs from having to output bass, and therefore sound better? I thought I read somewhere that more power can be focused on the mids/high through the bookshelfs if a subwoofer is added to the ensemble. Is that really true? I know for sure I will get more bass because of the subwoofer, but my question specifically is whether the sound from the bookshelf speakers themselves are altered with the addition of a subwoofer.

Thanks.

Post a picture of your setup so we can see where and how you have them positioned. Also what's the model # of the Marantz receiver?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the all the advice Pargon. I will try those tips when I get home. I think what I was hoping for was more detail with music and games, maybe hearing instruments or effects in the background that I couldn't before. Also a more expansive feeling since they are facing me instead of the TV speakers that are down facing at the bottom of the TV.
I was just wondering if I should invest in the subwoofer to round out this system or just stop now and get something totally different (soundbar/sub combo), if the speakers I have now won't be improved that much with a subwoofer addition.
Now is not really the time for it, but I'd suggest going out and demoing some other speakers to get an idea of what they might be able to do if you are not particularly happy with the B&W speakers.

While high-passing smaller speakers to give them less work to do can help improve the sound, I would not expect the effects to be major.
Adding the sub is more about adding more low-end kick than changing how the mids/highs sound.
Having them set up properly, as per my recommendations, is more likely to change how they sound than adding the subwoofer if it's the mids/highs you are having issues with. Your AVR may also have an EQ system that could help.

So when I enable Dolby Atmos on my Xbox series X (tv: lg cx, sound: Samsung hw q90r) I get a slight audio delay (300ms). Everything on my tv is set on passthrough, any fixes for this? Or am I better putting the Xbox on 7.1 pcm? What would be the difference there?
It's really looking like there's a combination issue where the Xbox itself adds a delay with Atmos, and the OLEDs are adding a delay when passing it through as well.
So the only option right now may be to use LPCM, until there are HDMI 2.1 audio splitters which bypass the TV.

zerodeefex

Mar 30, 2019
I m looking for the best headset for a ps5 and série x.
I m using this one without mic : Sennheiser HD598SE.
The sound is already pretty good specially on série x, on ps5 even at max setting , the sound is not loud enough sometimes haha
I would like a little more bass, on pc, i had a soundblaster zx and it help to get a better sound with it ( even if before i was using more my micro lab solo 9c).
I would like something better than the hd598se with a micro if it's possible ?
I was looking for a Fidelio x2 but this one doesn't have a micro.

You may want to find the best possible headphone and add a modmic or similar afterwards.

I've found the AD2000 (original), HD800 (modded), and RAAL SR1A to be great headphones for gaming at different price ranges. If you want to go downstream and absolutely need the integrated mic, the Drop/Senn PC37x is a solid performer. I do not recommend the PC38x due to how narrow the headstage sounds.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
zerodeefex
Thanks you ! i didn't even know about the modmic !
These model cost a lot ! i think i m going toward a fidelio x2HR or the DT 770 pro.
Tomorow, i m going to try the x2 to see if i like open headset, if not i m going to try the DT 770 pro.
These two are good too for gaming, you think ?

Maximrace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's really looking like there's a combination issue where the Xbox itself adds a delay with Atmos, and the OLEDs are adding a delay when passing it through as well.
So the only option right now may be to use LPCM, until there are HDMI 2.1 audio splitters which bypass the TV.
So I need to set the xbox to 7.1 pcm and then I'm fine? Will I lose something by using this setting? I don't really notice a big difference

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all...I have an OLED B7...looking to upgrade to a nice soundbar...I see a few options for black friday deals...what would you all recommend? Vizio 5.1.2 atmos on sale for 299 or JBL Bar 9.1 at 799 or Samsung 800T with rear speakers at amazon for 695...what seems to be the best value for the tv I have? I heard Vizios sometimes have issues, or are those overblown? Any other recommendations? I'll probably upgrade my tv in a couple years...

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
So when I enable Dolby Atmos on my Xbox series X (tv: lg cx, sound: Samsung hw q90r) I get a slight audio delay (300ms). Everything on my tv is set on passthrough, any fixes for this? Or am I better putting the Xbox on 7.1 pcm? What would be the difference there?

I have the same problem, XSX with Atmos has audio lag. PS5 with LCPM does not. It seems a lot of people have this issue so I think the XSX is the problem.

Hey all...I have an OLED B7...looking to upgrade to a nice soundbar...I see a few options for black friday deals...what would you all recommend? Vizio 5.1.2 atmos on sale for 299 or JBL Bar 9.1 at 799 or Samsung 800T with rear speakers at amazon for 695...what seems to be the best value for the tv I have? I heard Vizios sometimes have issues, or are those overblown? Any other recommendations? I'll probably upgrade my tv in a couple years...

I got the JBL Bar 9.1 recently, I like it for the flexibility.

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
What are people doing for AVRs right now? Should I just take it on faith that the 2.1 receivers will be fixed eventually and get one and use earc until they're fixed?

I'm waiting. My current Yamaha receiver passes through 4k/60 HDR so while I won't get VRR/ALLM/120fps what I have will do for now. I don't want to half-ass it or upgrade now and then have to upgrade a year later.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I m looking for the best headset for a ps5 and série x.
I m using this one without mic : Sennheiser HD598SE.
The sound is already pretty good specially on série x, on ps5 even at max setting , the sound is not loud enough sometimes haha
I would like a little more bass, on pc, i had a soundblaster zx and it help to get a better sound with it ( even if before i was using more my micro lab solo 9c).
I would like something better than the hd598se with a micro if it's possible ?
I was looking for a Fidelio x2 but this one doesn't have a micro.

I am using a Creative SoundBlasterX G6 connected to the PS5 via a single USB, and then Fidelio X2's with a V-Moda BoomPro mic cable connected to the G6 and it works great.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I am using a Creative SoundBlasterX G6 connected to the PS5 via a single USB, and then Fidelio X2's with a V-Moda BoomPro mic cable connected to the G6 and it works great.
Yeah ! One Friend of mine let me try his x2 today !
It's already Amazing on the ps5 and série x ! With the g6, you can't use tempest right ? It sound way better ?

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah ! One Friend of mine let me try his x2 today !
It's already Amazing on the ps5 and série x ! With the g6, you can't use tempest right ? It sound way better ?

You can absolutely use the Tempest 3D Audio too if you want. You won't get the G6 surround sound modes, it'll just be like a direct DAC / Amp, but you won't need those when you can use the Tempest if you want.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I've got the same tv and I just pulled the trigger on a Sonos Arc + Sub + Ones combo.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So excellent news, the USB DAC from the HyperX Cloud 2s work so have my X2s with Boompro working through that and have 3D Audio enabled.

Doubt I can power anything much more through these but these are my preferred fun headphones. I noticed my HE400Ss aren't as loud but still pretty good - PS5 slider all the way up though. That will do for now...

ps3ud0 8)

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I want to get a new pair of headphones for use with the XSX, plugged up to the controllers 3.5mm port. Right now I'm looking at either the Hyper xcloud alpha or the Audio-Technica M40x. What would be the best?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait

Your soundbar recieved an update that added eARC support so make sure you are updated and that your soundbar's hdmi is connected to the eARC port on your TV. Maybe then it will be fixed?

Edit: found this online and thought it might be helpful.
  1. Turn on SIMPLINK. This can be done by:
    1. Following the directions during your TV's first-time setup process.
    2. Heading to All Settings -> Connection -> Device Connection Settings
  2. Change your Sound Out to HDMI ARC
  3. Go to All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings and turn on eARC.
  4. Under All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings -> Digital Sound Out select "Pass Through"
Maybe you you need to turn on eARC on the TV as well?

Edit 2: If these don't work hook a laptop or PC to your TV and test Atmos these as well. I want to see if tihs is an Xbox only issue or an Atmos issue

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020
What is an ideal PC no-amp-required headphones / headset in the range of $300-ish for gaming. I.E. ability to locate sounds (I assume passive soundstage is what matters?). Bonus if it works well with PS5 with the ability to do the PS5 3D sound as well. Wireless or not. Low latency preferred.

I currently use a Koss Porta Pro for when I want to hear my surroundings and a Sony WH-1000XM3 when I really don't want to. Sound isolation not a requirement. Sound accuracy preferred. Not a 'bass is better' person.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
What is an ideal PC no-amp-required headphones / headset in the range of $300-ish for gaming. I.E. ability to locate sounds (I assume passive soundstage is what matters?). Bonus if it works well with PS5 with the ability to do the PS5 3D sound as well. Wireless or not. Low latency preferred.

I currently use a Koss Porta Pro for when I want to hear my surroundings and a Sony WH-1000XM3 when I really don't want to. Sound isolation not a requirement. Sound accuracy preferred. Not a 'bass is better' person.

I'm not an expert but if you're not going to get an amp/DAC then I wouldn't spend $300 on headphones. I'd look at something like the DT-770/990 depending on if you want open or closed. You could get the 80 ohm and not need an amp and they'd sound good.

Aug 30, 2020
I'm not an expert but if you're not going to get an amp/DAC then I wouldn't spend $300 on headphones. I'd look at something like the DT-770/990 depending on if you want open or closed. You could get the 80 ohm and not need an amp and they'd sound good.

Yeah I'm not snobbish about the money, I was eying the Astro A40 based on their RTINGS passive soundstage rating, but the build quality sounds poor and it's known to not be great quality on PS5 unless you buy the proprietary mixer AND adapters. Not really a deal at around $250 total for all that.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
You can absolutely use the Tempest 3D Audio too if you want. You won't get the G6 surround sound modes, it'll just be like a direct DAC / Amp, but you won't need those when you can use the Tempest if you want.
How does Tempest compare to SBX on the G6? I have an X7, which does not function with the PS5 via USB, so I'm stuck with SBX.

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
How does Tempest compare to SBX on the G6? I have an X7, which does not function with the PS5 via USB, so I'm stuck with SBX.

I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I always had the SBX off on the G6 from day one. I never really liked how it altered the frequency response and killed a lot of the low end so I've had it in direct mode. I also turned off the Tempest 3D Audio as well since I am not a fan, at least right now. It sounds great in Astro's Playroom so maybe when more games really design around it, but for more legacy titles I keep it off.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Are there any decent aptX LL bluetooth headphones that are reasonably priced?

Are these decent? https://www.66audio.com/bts-bluetooth-sports-headphones

or these? https://www.amazon.com/Active-Noise...1&keywords=august+ep735&qid=1606359327&sr=8-1

I wear a hearing aid in one ear, so I need over ear preferably, but on ear can be ok if they are incredibly comfortable... I can wear my hearing aid with my Hyper X Cloud IIs if that helps...

I'm buying an aptXLL bluetooth adapter for the Switch and plan to also use the headphones with the Series X when I finally get one... Doesn't "need" to be a headset as I can make the Cloud IIs work through a controller when playing Destiny 2, but want a decent-ish set of low latency wireless headphones as well... Sweat resistance would be good too, as I'll likely wear them while mowing the lawn... I know this is a lot, but I know next to nothing about headphones and can't tell the cheap knockoffs from the quality products...

Last edited:

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Do you hear a big diffence between the g6 and headset directly on the dual sense ? the g6 is on sale on creative website x)

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Ok, not the best of the best, but after looking over various review sites and Amazon reviews, I'm down to these two...

I plan on wearing them while mowing the lawn and playing on the Switch/living room PC using an aptx LL (<40ms latency) bluetooth adapter...

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Mixcders for the noise cancelling...

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Got a few upgrades recently and my setup is now the following in 5.1: Denon Avc-X4700H; Dali Opticon 8, 2 and Vokal; BK Gemini Mk2.

Very short version: how much do i need to worry about matching a power amp to the AVR on input sensitivity? Will be unbalanced rca and the avr distorts after 1.4v.

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
Does anyone here have much experience with Dolby Atmos setups? I'm currently running a 5.1 setup and I'm eying a pair of the add on up-firing speakers. Sony has a pair and so do elac that are currently on sale. Are they worth it? Do they have to match my current speakers or will it sound way off?
I currently have infinity speakers (r162 for the l/r and rc252 for the center) and a marantz nr1608 receiver which is atmos capable. My ceilings are 10 foot (not vaulted).
Will the benefits be worth the trouble?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Does anyone here have much experience with Dolby Atmos setups? I'm currently running a 5.1 setup and I'm eying a pair of the add on up-firing speakers. Sony has a pair and so do elac that are currently on sale. Are they worth it? Do they have to match my current speakers or will it sound way off?
I currently have infinity speakers (r162 for the l/r and rc252 for the center) and a marantz nr1608 receiver which is atmos capable. My ceilings are 10 foot (not vaulted).
Will the benefits be worth the trouble?
Thanks in advance for the help!

I'd say buy from somewhere with a return policy and try them out.

Beeblebrox

Oct 28, 2017
Help me Audio Era, you're my only hope!

I am looking for a headset or headphones (I don't talk much while playing multiplayer, and I would hope now I can use DualSense microphone in combination with regular headphones for talking - correct me if I am wrong), to use with PS5 mostly, and maybe sometimes on my PC. In other words, I would be fine with a good stereo headset/phones, with good sound quality for games (good sound quality for music would be a nice bonus).

I would like them to be wireless, just so I can sit comfortably and not think about the cables. Good battery life would also be a nice bonus.

Could one of these be a good choice, since they're on Black Friday sale on Amazon?

Logitech G533
Logitech G935

I was also thinking about Sony Pulse 3D, but they're not available anywhere. Help me before I go crazy :D

Oct 28, 2017
Having quite the headache with my LG CX and Denon S960H when trying to use Earc. As seen here AVS Forum, I can't get 5.1 LPCM on anything that is using EARC, including the built in apps.

Setup is PS5, PC, and Cable Box-> CX. CX HDMI 2->Denon S960h via Earc. I can't get Multi Ch out reliably, but it sometimes works after a hard reset.

Im not sure if its an LG issue or Denon, or what, but I'm at my wits end here.

TheRizza7

Oct 30, 2017
Ok everyone, I need some help. I recently just upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha V4 and I need some help with my settings. I have a Sony X900 and a PS5 that I want set up correctly. I keep thinking I have everything right, but then I'll read something conflicting about using PCM or Bitstream. SO... here's where we're at- I currently have my PS5 connected to the TV first then using eARC to the receiver. Is this right or should I have the PS5 connected to the receiver first? (Since the Yamaha has 4K pass-through) Then I have PCM selected for game audio and then Bitstream for blu-ray movies. I'm pretty confident that's all good, just wanted to make sure. NEXT, I have the Sony set to output Dolby Digital Plus because I read that this Sony tv would only send a surround signal through Dolby and not PCM because it doesn't utilize eARC through internal apps like Netflix, but when I go to watch a Netflix movie, it's only receiving a 2 channel signal even though it's saying it's getting DD+. It only outputs surround when I have an enhancer on like DTS Cinema. Would this happen if I wasn't using a HDMI 2.1 cable from the tv to the receiver? Or is there maybe some other setting I'm not doing right? I really appreciate anyone reading through all of this and helping me out. Thank you!

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I've had a Sonos beam with one's as rears for a while now and love it. The beam by itself doesn't give enough base but when paired with 2 rears it sounds pretty good even without a sub.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, please, these are serious questions even if they sound really dumb:
• What would be a difference between $300, $500 and $900 soundbar? Something like Q60T vs Q900T
• Is it worth buying a soundbar over 2.1? Can it really provide a surround sound without breaking down into satellites?
• Do people hang soundbars at the bottom of their tvs, or are those supposed to be placed at the stand-floor?
• Atmos is a gimmick, right?
• What is more economical at the $300-ish budget: a home cinema system with speakers, or a soundbar with a woofer?

I got the Q80T TV, and there is a feature (Qsymphony) to sync both TV-speakers and the supported Samsung Soundbar. Is it worth anything?

I am no audio guy, I don't even mind the TV performance minus the lack of heavy bass, but I thought... It might be a good investment to upgrade over the built-in TV speakers without sinking into the bottomless pit of audiophile. You buy something decent, you place it there, and it is the on-time cost to upgrade the audio experience for 5-10 years.

----------------------

About PC speakers. I have X530, which were an amazing investment for the quality, but I think the control speaker is no longer working, no audio coming from it despite functioning controls. Looked up online about ordering only one speaker replacement, no good, costs at least half as much as the entire box did almost 10 years ago. I feel bad about replacing the item that is both functional and not-outdated quality wise, but even re-arranging the speakers to output the Front Left/Right into the rear ones, there are some audible downgrades.

What would be a good replacement? $100-200? I have never used them as a surround system, they were always arrayed in the arc around the monitor. Should I even care to look beyond 2.1 if I stack them in front?

Thanks you people for your knowledge

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
I feel like I'm using my sound bar wrong. Like a lot of the time, it doesn't sound that different from my tv.

edit - am I better to connect the sound bar to my tv with the optical cable or HDMI through the arc port?

Last edited:

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I am looking for a good pair of headphones to watch movies late at night. I have a LGC9 and just bought the Pansonic UB820 4k bluray player. I have the Vizio elevate soundbar which is amazing but can't use it late at night.

Wireless headphones are preferred but am open to wired.

I don't know much about headphones and dacs but open to any suggestions!

I currently have the Sennheiser RS 175 but I am not too happy with them.

Thank you in advanced!

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Update, bought the Mixcder E9 Pros and connected with an aptx LL transmitter the latency is not noticeable... In Destiny 2 firing a weapon the muzzle flash and audio are synced over bluetooth... WAY different experience compared to any other bluetooth codec I've used. Ran a full raid using them and had no issues, the noise cancelling is just OK, though. It cancelled hvac and fan noise, but that's about it... Still heard higher pitched sounds.

Yukstin

Oct 31, 2017
Nashville, TN
Ok everyone, I need some help. I recently just upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha V4 and I need some help with my settings. I have a Sony X900 and a PS5 that I want set up correctly. I keep thinking I have everything right, but then I'll read something conflicting about using PCM or Bitstream. SO... here's where we're at- I currently have my PS5 connected to the TV first then using eARC to the receiver. Is this right or should I have the PS5 connected to the receiver first? (Since the Yamaha has 4K pass-through) Then I have PCM selected for game audio and then Bitstream for blu-ray movies. I'm pretty confident that's all good, just wanted to make sure. NEXT, I have the Sony set to output Dolby Digital Plus because I read that this Sony tv would only send a surround signal through Dolby and not PCM because it doesn't utilize eARC through internal apps like Netflix, but when I go to watch a Netflix movie, it's only receiving a 2 channel signal even though it's saying it's getting DD+. It only outputs surround when I have an enhancer on like DTS Cinema. Would this happen if I wasn't using a HDMI 2.1 cable from the tv to the receiver? Or is there maybe some other setting I'm not doing right? I really appreciate anyone reading through all of this and helping me out. Thank you!

Yamaha's firmware currently doesn't support all the HDMI 2.1 functions. There's a roadmap of patches out there but it runs deep into 2021. Directly connecting your PS5 to your TV will give you the best picture.

eARC works without HDMI 2.1 so that shouldn't affect the channels that the tv is sending to the receiver. That may be a TV issue but I'm not familiar with how Sony handles sending signals back.

Oct 27, 2017
is 16 gauge speaker wire decent enough when using an AVR unit/speakers for sound quality with PS5 games? Also, for ARC mode between the TV and Receiver, I imagine a standard HDMI 2.0 cable is sufficient? I know for EARC you'd want a 2.1 cable

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
I'm rocking a pair of KEF Q350s w/ a polk psw108 sub & a JBL loft 20 center speaker. I know the center speaker is a budget range type speaker, but is it still fine having it connected with everything else, or would I better with just removing it from my setup and just rocking the Q350s + the sub?

TheRizza7

Oct 30, 2017
Yamaha's firmware currently doesn't support all the HDMI 2.1 functions. There's a roadmap of patches out there but it runs deep into 2021. Directly connecting your PS5 to your TV will give you the best picture.

eARC works without HDMI 2.1 so that shouldn't affect the channels that the tv is sending to the receiver. That may be a TV issue but I'm not familiar with how Sony handles sending signals back.

Thanks for the reply! I've come to learn that Sony's X900 doesn't utilize eARC from it's internal apps so that's why I've been having issues with them, but for the most part now I think everything is good coming from the PS5

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
is 16 gauge speaker wire decent enough when using an AVR unit/speakers for sound quality with PS5 games?
Depends on the length and the speakers you're connecting it to.

speaker-cablesh1jtz.png

Also, for ARC mode between the TV and Receiver, I imagine a standard HDMI 2.0 cable is sufficient? I know for EARC you'd want a 2.1 cable
Any HDMI cable should be suitable for ARC, but eARC only requires an HDMI cable with Ethernet support; not an HDMI 2.1 cable.

I'm rocking a pair of KEF Q350s w/ a polk psw108 sub & a JBL loft 20 center speaker. I know the center speaker is a budget range type speaker, but is it still fine having it connected with everything else, or would I better with just removing it from my setup and just rocking the Q350s + the sub?
With high quality speakers, and proper positioning, I generally find little need for a center speaker.
The phantom center can be extremely convincing when things are set up correctly, with voices sounding as though they are coming from the center of the display.