• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
GearDraxon RedlineRonin

www.avsforum.com

Denon Introduces 2020 X-Series AVRs - AVSForum.com

New Denon X-Series AVRs with HDMI 2.1 The 2020 X-Series AVRs from Denon are here. Get ready for some major upgrades in capability including HDMI 2.1 for 8K HFR and eARC, DTS:X Pro (on select models) for the most immersive sound and even a “pre-amplifier” mode that disengages the internal amps...

Lots of big features in this year's X series
I'd been waiting for this. I'm currently on an X2400H. I'm looking at the X2700H and it looks like I'll lose the front HDMI port, which is a major bummer. It was super convenient for stuff I only need to plug in briefly, like a laptop or camera.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
GearDraxon RedlineRonin

www.avsforum.com

New Denon X-Series AVRs with HDMI 2.1 The 2020 X-Series AVRs from Denon are here. Get ready for some major upgrades in capability including HDMI 2.1 for 8K HFR and eARC, DTS:X Pro (on select models) for the most immersive sound and even a “pre-amplifier” mode that disengages the internal amps...

I could be wrong here, but have these prices gone up, by a lot, from previous equivalent models?

I have an X2300W, which yes is quite old now, but I paid £375 for it from Richer Sounds. At those prices, I'd imagine the UK price for the 2700H, which seems to be the most equivalent model, would be at least £700, given it's $849.

I think I'll be holding off upgrading until there's a price drop if that's the case. The 2300W still does great for 4K content, and I don't have a TV that supports VRR or 120Hz. That should probably be my first upgrade before the AVR, I guess.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Which amp would be better for use with the ps4pro/switch/oneX.

The sound blaster g3 or g6?

Using it with the sennheiser hd599.

Cheers

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong here, but have these prices gone up, by a lot, from previous equivalent models?

I have an X2300W, which yes is quite old now, but I paid £375 for it from Richer Sounds. At those prices, I'd imagine the UK price for the 2700H, which seems to be the most equivalent model, would be at least £700, given it's $849.

I think I'll be holding off upgrading until there's a price drop if that's the case. The 2300W still does great for 4K content, and I don't have a TV that supports VRR or 120Hz. That should probably be my first upgrade before the AVR, I guess.
The AVR-X2600H was $799 MSRP but you can get it for 600€ here, how much is that over there?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
The AVR-X2600H was $799 MSRP but you can get it for 600€ here, how much is that over there?
I just had a look and at Richer Sounds that model is £449, which I'd be fine with. Seems they're sold for quite a lot less than the RRP. If the 2700H ends up being £500 or under I'll probably upgrade sooner than I would have done.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'd been waiting for this. I'm currently on an X2400H. I'm looking at the X2700H and it looks like I'll lose the front HDMI port, which is a major bummer. It was super convenient for stuff I only need to plug in briefly, like a laptop or camera.

I agree that's kind of annoying. A lot easier than reaching around in an entertainment center.

I feel like the Denons always launch pretty high and then within six months they have decent sales

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

AVR pricing drops significantly below MSRP over time. How much you pay for them is going to depend almost entirely on how close to release you decide to purchase.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
GearDraxon RedlineRonin

www.avsforum.com

Any idea if Denon's "Assignables" can be configured to be used as external channel inputs? I need to get a new receiver soon that has at least 7.1 inputs and so far it seems like between Denon and Marantz, only the latter is still offering that, although I don't really know how the extra inputs on the Denon work. My last Denon had a 5.1 external section.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
GearDraxon RedlineRonin

www.avsforum.com

That 3700H looks like a decent spot to dip a toe in if someone was going to take their first crack at separates. Also interesting that they went the LG CX route of 40gbps 2.1 ports instead of full bandwidth. Not sure how I'd feel about that... suppose it depends on your upgrade frequency.

Gonna be some annoying work arounds for me if Anthem doesn't upgrade their stuff this year

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
That 3700H looks like a decent spot to dip a toe in if someone was going to take their first crack at separates. Also interesting that they went the LG CX route of 40gbps 2.1 ports instead of full bandwidth. Not sure how I'd feel about that... suppose it depends on your upgrade frequency.

Gonna be some annoying work arounds for me if Anthem doesn't upgrade their stuff this year

Any update on Anthem regarding 2.1 / 8K pass through?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
GearDraxon RedlineRonin

www.avsforum.com

Would you still need a VRR capable TV if the receiver supports VRR?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Male-Female HDMI extension cable connected to the back, stick the female end to the side of the receiver near the front?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Would you still need a VRR capable TV if the receiver supports VRR?

yes, ultimately it's on the display to be able to do it, but the receiver needs to pass it through. Like with 4K...you ultimately absolutely need a 4K tv but if the receiver can't pass it through, you won't see 4K

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Any update on Anthem regarding 2.1 / 8K pass through?
Talked to a dealer around Xmas time that's a family friend. They aren't a huge company so it sounds like they had all their engineering resources pointed at the STR 2ch, which shipped, then the MDX stuff which is a distributed network amp or something, which I think shipped late last year and they were going to start working on new AVM stuff. Have to imagine that's not CEDIAish timing (August) though or I feel like we would have heard about it by now. I would say CES but A) that's usually less audio focused and B) don't know if that show even happens in the current environment.

Which is a long way of saying who knows but hopefully sooner than later.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Male-Female HDMI extension cable connected to the back, stick the female end to the side of the receiver near the front?
I mean it's not the end of the world. I can just leave an HDMI cable plugged into the back and leave the other connector lying to the side. It's not as clean, but not a massive issue. Still, it sucks that this feature is now exclusive to a model that's 2 tiers above. The X4*00H series are overkill for what I need, and seeing something as simple and convenient as a front HDMI port relegated to such a premium tier is a bummer.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Talked to a dealer around Xmas time that's a family friend. They aren't a huge company so it sounds like they had all their engineering resources pointed at the STR 2ch, which shipped, then the MDX stuff which is a distributed network amp or something, which I think shipped late last year and they were going to start working on new AVM stuff. Have to imagine that's not CEDIAish timing (August) though or I feel like we would have heard about it by now. I would say CES but A) that's usually less audio focused and B) don't know if that show even happens in the current environment.

Which is a long way of saying who knows but hopefully sooner than later.

Selfishly, I'll be looking at a new TV next year (Fall) or the following Spring...and will strongly consider Anthem if they've got it all sorted out by then (which they should)

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
What are your guys thoughts on connecting the optical out from a LG C9 to the sound blaster g6?

Would save having to switch connections around between consoles.

Videophile

Tech Marketing at Elgato
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA
GearDraxon RedlineRonin

www.avsforum.com

But only one HDMI 2.1 40Gbps input port. Thats such a strange decision. By the end of the year with Xbox Series X, PS5 and PC ill have three inputs that need HDMI 2.1 ports...

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting updates to Denon's lineup. A bit of a price bump, as the "3-series" AVRs have always been right at the US$999 MSRP mark, but they're also going to 9-channel amps. I continue to be a bit dismissive of that: cramming more amps into the case seems like a recipe for lower-quality sound, all things being equal, but (high-speaker-count) Atmos continues to be a selling point. I have to imagine that there's a decent-size market for 5-channel AVRs with all the bells and whistles - soundbars continue to be popular because many people balk at 5 speakers in their living space, let alone 9.

And yes, RedlineRonin, I'm aware that Anthem "has a product for these people, it's called the MRX 520." ;)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
But only one HDMI 2.1 40Gbps input port. Thats such a strange decision. By the end of the year with Xbox Series X, PS5 and PC ill have three inputs that need HDMI 2.1 ports...
The point of HDMI 2.1's eARC feature is that you don't pass video through the AVR any more.
The TV is the receiving device, and the AVR is an audio playback device via the eARC link.

HDMI should never have required AVRs to pass through video in the first place.
If they had built it with a full-bandwidth audio return channel from day one, you could still be using an HDMI 1.0 AVR with your XSX, PS5, and PC for 7.1 audio.
You would only have had to upgrade if you wanted to add Atmos support.
Audio doesn't need 48 Gbps.

This is why it's frustrating that LG decided not to license DTS formats for their CX displays though. I didn't even know that was an option.
Doing that means your source device must be capable of decoding DTS formats to LPCM now - and not all of them do.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I was doing some more reading around before a possible purchase of the 2700H later in the year, and noticed the same. I need at least two inputs (PS5 and Xbox X), ideally 3 for when I upgrade my PC in the future. Added to that, I'd want to future proof at least a bit, since it seems 8K passthrough and HDMI 2.1 should be good for a long time now - most TV channels are barely 4K, never mind 8K.

So I think I'll wait a year and see what Denon launches then. Very happy with my current 4K Denon, but not going to spend a few hundred on an upgrade with only one HDMI 2.1 port.

It'sYaBoi

Oct 31, 2017
Hi everyone, was curious if I could get anyone's expert opinion.

I was considering upgrading my home theater system eventually. I have a 5.1 setup using a yamaha receiver. It's an RX 385.
For the speakers I've been using my dad's old hand me down bose system. It's probably 20 years old at this point. It's not bad but I can't help but feeling it could be better. I use an SVS sub with it because it didn't really come with a sub.

Anyways, what's your all's opinion on home theater speakers? I was looking at something like the JBL studio 590's for the L/R channels. Are those known to be pretty good? Are there some general sets that have a good bang for the buck? If I could help it I would spend less that 1500-2000 on the five speakers (since I already have a sub).

If I upgraded would I need a different receiver?

Thanks guys any help is appreciated.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm perfectly happy with my current Onkyo TX-SR373 I bought two years ago, but now that I own an LG CX and the PS5 coming later this year I'm left realizing I gotta upgrade to a receiver with eARC functionality so that I can get quality 5.1 from my devices plugged directly to the TV.

I'm finding it hard to research models. Does anyone know what the cheapest reliable 5.1 receiver that supports eARC is?

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point of HDMI 2.1's eARC feature is that you don't pass video through the AVR any more.
The TV is the receiving device, and the AVR is an audio playback device via the eARC link.

If they had built it with a full-bandwidth audio return channel from day one, you could still be using an HDMI 1.0 AVR with your XSX, PS5, and PC for 7.1 audio.

This is why it's frustrating that LG decided not to license DTS formats for their CX displays though. I didn't even know that was an option.
Doing that means your source device must be capable of decoding DTS formats to LPCM now - and not all of them do.
Now that LG fixed the PCM bug I don't see the point of this years AVR's unless you're starting a separate system from nothing or really want a certain feature, otherwise eARC on an older AVR seems like the best route to go.

Oct 29, 2017
Odd question that may have been answered, but curious...

If one were to get a Sonos Beam, and wanted to get a pair to go with it, instead of 2 Ones, could you do 1 One and a Sonos Move instead?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Funneling everything through the display would be annoying with projector setups though. I much rather like the idea of the AVR being the central connection over the display especially since the AVR has more inputs than the display usually too.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Alright Era, after many years of use, my ATH-AD900X headphones are finally starting to give up the ghost, so I'm in the market for an upgrade. Here are my questions:
-I'm interested in the AKG K7XX headphones as my next pair from Drop.com, as a version is in production and will be available soon, but I hear they sound best with an amp. Will the O2 be good enough? They're available for preorder from Drop.com. Are there any better alternatives? I'm willing to spoil myself a little and get an amp in the $200 range if I can be persuaded.
-Any alternatives? I'm interested in the K7XXs because I hear they have a great soundstage, are very comfortable thanks to the self-adjusting headband and huge earcups, and have a removable cable. Are there any headphones that do those things better for the price?

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Posting this here since it's more of a general audio setup/hardware thing vs specifically headphones.

I'm looking at getting a Schiit Modius + Asgard and was hoping anyone might help with the preamp on the Asgard. I am trying to figure out if there would be any issues with using RCA to XLR cables to connect with a pair of JBL 305P mk2's; since the Asgard output would be unbalanced and the XLR inputs on the JBL are balanced I want to know if that would cause any problems or if I'm just overthinking things.

I want a setup that will output to speakers at my desk, but will mute them when headphones are plugged in. I was looking at the Jotunheim before but those don't mute the speakers when a headset is in.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hello, I am looking to purchase the Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers. I would like to ask how these speakers fare in terms of video games? I know they are meant for music and movies, but I'll probably fire them mostly for music and games. I rarely watch movies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer is ordered! This will be in addition to two SVS Prime Towers. I've never owned a subwoofer before, so a little nervous if I'll be able to find good placement for it.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok guys, I am a noob with sound.... please help.

Up till now, I've had my PS4 Pro connected directly via optical to my LG 5.1 sound system. and had the HDMI connect to my tv.
Never had a problem with the sound, had the PS4 Pro set to Dolby Digital and via Optical Sound selected.

But lately, I've been wanting to play my PS3 again, and I decided to readjust my sound setup..

PS4 PRO to TV via HDMI and LG 5.1 sound system to TV via Optical. So anything connected to the TV in this case gets the sound. On PS4 Pro setting I have it set to Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI for sound and it sounds ok.. but I feel it doesnt sound as great as having the PS4 Pro connect directly into the LG system via optical.
(Is it correct to have sound set up as via HDMI on the PS4 sound menu here with this setup? Or should it be via optical in the PS4 menu? Im confused 🤔)

Or am I imagining its less quality and it's really the same? Im kind of a noob when it comes to sound setups.

Please help.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Ok guys, I am a noob with sound.... please help.

Up till now, I've had my PS4 Pro connected directly via optical to my LG 5.1 sound system. and had the HDMI connect to my tv.
Never had a problem with the sound, had the PS4 Pro set to Dolby Digital and via Optical Sound selected.

But lately, I've been wanting to play my PS3 again, and I decided to readjust my sound setup..

PS4 PRO to TV via HDMI and LG 5.1 sound system to TV via Optical. So anything connected to the TV in this case gets the sound. On PS4 Pro setting I have it set to Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI for sound and it sounds ok.. but I feel it doesnt sound as great as having the PS4 Pro connect directly into the LG system via optical.
(Is it correct to have sound set up as via HDMI on the PS4 sound menu here with this setup? Or should it be via optical in the PS4 menu? Im confused 🤔)

Or am I imagining its less quality and it's really the same? Im kind of a noob when it comes to sound setups.

Please help.

I suppose it's possible your TV is only outputting stereo. I know a lot of tvs have limited audio out options.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it's possible your TV is only outputting stereo. I know a lot of tvs have limited audio out options.
It's a Samsung KS8000.

www.pocket-lint.com

Samsung KS8000 SUHD TV review: Hitting the 4K HDR sweet spot

Sitting in the middle of Samsung's pack, the KS8000 offers stunning performance with a design that not only looks good, but offers a practical stand

I know I cant get lossless sound from Optical, but was my old setup giving me Dolby 5.1 compressed sound?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
My AV receiver is something like 10 years old. I was hoping for HDMI 2.1 receivers to become more of a thing but now it seems they will be both rare and expensive this year as well so I am thinking of alternatives or just waiting till next year.

I am totally out of the loop on AV receivers, but what options should I look for with these requirements and use case?
  • Use case: Movies/TV with LG C9 Netflix etc apps and gaming with PC or PS4 Pro/PS5.
  • Current setup: LG C9 via optical to Denon AVR-1610 (because it adds a lot of input lag and is not 4K compatible), 2.1 speaker setup.
  • Want:
    • Room correction
    • 5.1 output (planning to go 5.1 at some point in the future)
    • Optical input
    • HDMI eARC
I would probably prefer to continue hooking my devices up to the TV and keeping the AV receiver out of the equation as much as possible so I don't end up with issues regarding 4K, VRR, refresh rates, input lag and so on. At the moment I have PC, PS4 Pro and Switch connected to my LG.

I've never used eARC but does it detect and tell the receiver the input somehow? Because sometimes I need to mess with volume levels because different TV apps and devices have different default output levels so this is a minor chore that I would like to get rid of.

What receivers etc should I look for? Compact would be desirable as I have absolutely no need for some chunky boi with every input ever invented.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have experience with the Q Acoustics 3020i bookshelves? I absolutely love their look - and reviews are great. They'd be standing alone in a 2.0 secondary listening space where white cabinets are a must. Mainly music but some basic TV as well. I'm willing to spend more so if you have recommendations for white cabinet bookshelves let me know

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have experience with the Q Acoustics 3020i bookshelves? I absolutely love their look - and reviews are great. They'd be standing alone in a 2.0 secondary listening space where white cabinets are a must. Mainly music but some basic TV as well. I'm willing to spend more so if you have recommendations for white cabinet bookshelves let me know

My go-to recommendation for anyone buying bookshelf speakers to use as a stereo pair is still going to be the JBL 305p MkII, which were available in white.
Unfortunately though, I didn't realize that the white ones were a limited edition and when I checked recently, the store I got mine from has sold out now. I know they were still available back in April, so you might be able to find somewhere that has stock. Note: they're sold individually - you have to buy a pair.
They're active monitors that require their own power, rather than speakers which need to be connected to an amplifier though; which may be a benefit or a drawback depending on how you plan on setting them up.
The cabinet is also a more basic construction/finish than those Q-Acoustic speakers; but I do still like how they look in white.
It's how they sound that makes them worth the money though. You have to spend a lot more to sound better.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

5" drivers will somewhat struggle in bass output without a sub. I'd strongly suggest stepping up to the 3030i for 6.5" woofers. Some objectively excellent alternatives available in white would be the Revel M16 or Elac DBR62 which would both run around $600/pair.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
5" drivers will somewhat struggle in bass output without a sub. I'd strongly suggest stepping up to the 3030i for 6.5" woofers. Some objectively excellent alternatives available in white would be the Revel M16 or Elac DBR62 which would both run around $600/pair.

When I wrote my initial post I didn't even know the 3030i existed but that's a much better option.

In my home theatre, five of my eight speakers are ELAC (including B6.2s as surrounds) but many reviews say the DBR62 are not as "bang for your buck" as the B6.2s.

I absolutely love the sound signature of my elacs though so that's definitely an option

Pargon I'm really only looking at passive speakers but thanks for the response as well

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It should be noted that this is often an issue with passive speakers that is rectified with actives.
While it's obviously not going to replace the need for a subwoofer if you want that low bass/sub-bass kick, the JBL 305p MkII have a 5″ driver and a conservative rating of 49Hz ±3dB or 43Hz ±10dB, while the Q-Acoustics with a 5″ driver have a 64Hz "+3dB −6dB" spec; and you know that −6dB is at the low end.
But actives certainly aren't for everyone. They have their own drawbacks too.